Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,556 members, 7,809,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:19 PM

Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb (84393 Views)

Surrogacy: Grandmother, 56 Gives Birth To Her Son And Daughter-In-law’s Baby / My Husband Keeps Looking At Other Women, Winks At My Friends / Ustaz Abdulfattah Adeyemi: 'Your Husband Is Meant To Be Shared With Other Women' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by Gmajor(m): 7:12am On Jun 27, 2019
PlanetOfApes:
I hope children don't take after surrogate mothers.

Whatever the case, if i were to do, i wouldn't let someone looking like any of these carry my kids.

A clean fit Latina will be OK. I wouldn't want my kids looking like Okro soup after delivery. I would't want to take chances, science can be funny atimes.
you obviously don't have any idea of what surrogacy is all about
Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by martineverest(m): 7:20am On Jun 27, 2019
Muyiwaipere:
Can someone please enlighten us on what surrogacy is?
allowing another woman to carry it child in her womb while foetus is a product of the original parents sperm and egg..the is usually done if the woman womb isn't functioning or doesn't. want to undergo birth stress
Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by Duggedised12(f): 7:20am On Jun 27, 2019
Famousbabe:
Watch the video here
care to share a link to ronke's forum?
Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by ezeugojoycey: 7:21am On Jun 27, 2019
Please can a doctor in d house educate us on surrogacy
Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by Abolajihowells2: 7:29am On Jun 27, 2019
Another job opportunity for naija
Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by Streetdreamx(m): 7:40am On Jun 27, 2019
Atleast better than selling a baby.
Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by AreaFada2: 7:41am On Jun 27, 2019
Is surrogacy regulated by government in Nigeria?

If not the possibility of being accused of child kidnap when things go sour is very much there.

In 9ja we sabi turn things upside down.
Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by Nobody: 7:47am On Jun 27, 2019
Nigeria should be careful of this new trend. It’s been in existence for many years but has only become very trendy lately.
There’s still many ethical issues surrounding surrogacy no matter how good it’s painted.

Like the motherless babies homes with its many unethical problems, surrogacy isn’t the perfect solution to infertility that people see it as. There are still lots of malpractices going on from exploitation of the women to even serious legal and health issues later.

There are women who go into these for commercial reasons and there the clinics where these are undertaken must be seriously regulated.

It’s true that the baby takes the DNA of the sperm and egg donors but it is still at the mercy of the surrogate. Surrogates life style and nutrition can impact on the baby. A drinking mum, some women on prescription medications who go into surrogacy to get paid and feeding habit can affect the baby.

A surrogate can die, develop complications during the process, she can miscarry and can also deliver a deformed or disabled baby.

Certain genetic disorders can be detected during the period of surrogacy and the donors might want to have the child aborted...the surrogate might not want that.
A surrogate might develop psychological issues after carrying the baby to term and might not want to dissociate from the child even though her dna wasn’t part of the child...

Who breastfeeds? Donor might not want breastfeeding, this might become the new trend where a whole new generation of babies are denied breast milk!

I had the experience of nearly falling into this trap some years ago. I was approached by a doctor to help a woman get pregnant in return for ‘lots of goodies’. I was tempted, very tempted but I declined. I can never give away my child for any amount of money.

Like the many malpractices in the motherless babies homes, emergence of baby factories and stealing of babies in the maternity clinics which our government still need to find answers to, surrogacy should be well investigated and strictly regulated before it develops many unmanageable tentacles.

1 Like

Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by Psoul(m): 7:50am On Jun 27, 2019
Muyiwaipere:
Can someone please enlighten us on what surrogacy is?

You have smartphone
It is well charged
You have data
You can do Nairaland
You Have Google App
You find it difficult to use ur google to make a simple search
You want someone who will help you explain what surrogacy is
Oya naa, be waiting.

1 Like

Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by 2LESS(m): 7:58am On Jun 27, 2019
abiolamitodun:
hope this development won't encourage those unserious element to start destroying their wombs in the process of aborting...since there's hope if they are barren
This is another angle to it
Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by Nobody: 7:58am On Jun 27, 2019
AreaFada2:
Is surrogacy regulated by government in Nigeria?

If not the possibility of being accused of child kidnap when things go sour is very much there.

In 9ja we sabi turn things upside down.
If you read the article carefully ,you will see the mention of surrogacy lawyers. I believe you just don't go on the street as a couple to pick a woman to carry your child ,most of these surrogates are screened and picked by fertility clinics and documents are involved too hence the need for lawyers.
Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by Banter1(m): 8:02am On Jun 27, 2019
Does that mean the man in need of a child would sleep with the surrogate mother? Or there's other way they would do it? Somebody enlighten me on this.
Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by 2LESS(m): 8:03am On Jun 27, 2019
Pls for the gynos here, on the scale of 0 to 10, what are the chances of successful embryo implant on the first trial?
I ask so that one can know what he is going in for.

1 Like

Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by Duggedised12(f): 8:04am On Jun 27, 2019
Psoul:

You have smartphone
It is well charged
You have data
You can do Nairaland
You Have Google App
You find it difficult to use ur google to make a simple search
You want someone who will help you explain what surrogacy is
Oya naa, be waiting.
that's why we are where we are today,sadly. There are even the ignorant ones who will gladly display it here without even bothering to google it.
Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by Duggedised12(f): 8:08am On Jun 27, 2019
gbosaa:
Nigeria should be careful of this new trend. It’s been in existence for many years but has only become very trendy lately.
There’s still many ethical issues surrounding surrogacy no matter how good it’s painted.

Like the motherless babies homes with its many unethical problems, surrogacy isn’t the perfect solution to infertility that people see it as. There are still lots of malpractices going on from exploitation of the women to even serious legal and health issues later.

There are women who go into these for commercial reasons and there the clinics where these are undertaken must be seriously regulated.

It’s true that the baby takes the DNA of the sperm and egg donors but it is still at the mercy of the surrogate. Surrogates life style and nutrition can impact on the baby. A drinking mum, some women on prescription medications who go into surrogacy to get paid and feeding habit can affect the baby.

A surrogate can die, develop complications during the process, she can miscarry and can also deliver a deformed or disabled baby.

Certain genetic disorders can be detected during the period of surrogacy and the donors might want to have the child aborted...the surrogate might not want that.
A surrogate might develop psychological issues after carrying the baby to term and might not want to dissociate from the child even though her dna wasn’t part of the child...

Who breastfeeds? Donor might not want breastfeeding, this might become the new trend where a whole new generation of babies are denied breast milk!

I had the experience of nearly falling into this trap some years ago. I was approached by a doctor to help a woman get pregnant in return for ‘lots of goodies’. I was tempted, very tempted but I declined. I can never give away my child for any amount of money.

Like the many malpractices in the motherless babies homes, emergence of baby factories and stealing of babies in the maternity clinics which our government still need to find answers to, surrogacy should be well investigated and strictly regulated before it develops many unmanageable tentacles.
this is why there are lawyers involved and fertility clinics screen surrogate mothers before the procesee commences. So if the government want to regulate it,they should beam their lights on fertility clinics cos that is where it all goes down.

2 Likes

Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by VULCAN(m): 8:11am On Jun 27, 2019
So someone can write down this type of nonsense.

If you have sex with a woman and she gets pregnant she is no longer a surrogate but an actual mother.

The way ignorant people make bold yet incorrect statements is amazing

MrBrownJay1:

fertilized egg/embryo treatment isnt cheap, some simply have sex with surrogate mother on her ovulating day OR do sperm transfer (cuum and put sperm in surrogate coochie with syringe/condo)

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by AfonjaConehead: 8:21am On Jun 27, 2019
daddytime:
Way to go...

Surrogacy is indeed priceless...

Who need sperm abeg

Karishinka need am sharp sharp

grin
Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by folabala: 8:42am On Jun 27, 2019
I read about surrogacy in one of the Awake Publications some years back. After fertilization, egg form are scientifically transfer to a surrogate women. The baby won't take trait's of it carrier. Its just that some carrier still feel like having the baby after delivery.
Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by don4real18(m): 8:47am On Jun 27, 2019
daddytime:
Way to go...

Who need sperm abeg
One herbalist in Anambra is in need of sperm. Go and donate and get compensated
Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by Bisbliss(f): 8:51am On Jun 27, 2019
lilbest4:
Women struggling too hard to become more and more irrelevant in future

You must think with your feet. There is no way on earth someone who thinks with the brain would type what you just posted

1 Like

Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by jrusky(m): 8:56am On Jun 27, 2019
daddytime:
Way to go...

Who need sperm abeg

You wan do sorrugate papa.
Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by Daboomb: 8:56am On Jun 27, 2019
gbosaa:

....... I can never give away my child for any amount of money.

Well said!

You know we in Nigeria are always coming very late to the party and when we come, we come with "Nylon Bags" so we can steal the beer, the Chicken and Rice, when we are going home! grin grin grin
We always introduce some bizzare elements of our own, not because we are bad as a people (others are equally bad but they dont do such for fear of getting caught), just that there is no regulation or someone watching and waiting (Govt Regulation) to catch us! grin grin

Even if there was "regulation", we are good at bribing that "Regulator" to look the other way. shocked shocked shocked

For those families in dire need of children but cant have one of their own, Surrogacy is a good option but for those who have turned it into a "business of making money", they are evil.

If l were to regulate it as a Govt, l will ensure that if you decide you want to help a family to surrogate, you must register your intention with Govt, you must not seek to know the identity of who you are surrogating for (to avoid blackmail issues in the future and you must not demand for money from them)....... it is the Govt that will compensate you with an "allowance" (like money/income you have lost as a result of not being able to work due to the pregnancy, etc) and l will peg it at a maximum of say #200,000 to #300,000 cash.

If the family that owns the baby wants to give you more, VOLUNTARILY, they would pass it into your nominated bank account directly without you knowing their identity and without a Govt official trying to swindle you.
It is a starting point and we must develop "policies and framework" to make it work without turning it into another "baby-factory" syndrome.
Those who do it must do it out of their love to assist others, not out of their love to make money out of it.

But l am not Govt, what do l know sef?
shocked

Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by Daboomb: 9:03am On Jun 27, 2019
Bisbliss:

You must think with your feet. There is no way on earth someone who thinks with the brain would type what you just posted

You only need to see things from his angle and you will realize he has a point......even though you might not like his idea.

I am sure that looking at the issue from his own angle, (where he is coming from), is that "if men can have children through surrogacy, without marrying a wife, it reduces the need for men to marry women and therefore makes the "marry-women-for-children" role less relevant. He is also wondering that it is women who are pushing for this.

Now, that is his own concern and it is a legitimate concern but for me, l think the benefits outweighs such worry of his.

But to just jump at him and insult him over that, could be a sign of "inner insecurity" on your own part
(again, l may be wrong, maybe you just dont like the idea of anyone criticising anything female).

See the comment below, is an example:
drezzyx:
Aswear I have too much money no need to marry pay these women to carry my children and flex my life with less women problems.

1 Like

Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by AreaFada2: 9:05am On Jun 27, 2019
frenzyduchess:
If you read the article carefully ,you will see the mention of surrogacy lawyers. I believe you just don't go on the street as a couple to pick a woman to carry your child ,most of these surrogates are screened and picked by fertility clinics and documents are involved too hence the need for lawyers.
There are many contracts that when tested against the constitution do not hold water.

Lawyers can help you draft any nonsense.
My question basically is which Act of Parliament/NASS assented to by the president oversees surrogacy?
Is it adaption law, embryology or human fertilisation law or which?

Not whether some charge and bail lawyers are involved. grin grin cheesy

I know that decades of dictatorship has made it hard for people to know what to ask people that seemingly have a modicum of authority.
Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by Daboomb: 9:12am On Jun 27, 2019
AreaFada2:

There are many contracts that when tested against the constitution do not hold water.

Lawyers can help you draft any nonsense.
My question basically is which Act of Parliament/NASS assented to by the president oversees surrogacy?
Is it adaption law, embryology or human fertilisation law or which?

Not whether some charge and bail lawyers are involved. grin grin cheesy

I know that decades of dictatorship has made it hard for people to know what to ask people that seemingly have a modicum of authority.

Aside any law that is or may be put in place, the greatest element that IMO, should be put in place is to ensure that the Surrogate Mother does not know the identity of the real parents.
Do it as a job (or act of kindness), deliver the baby, get paid and quietly love on.
No strings attached.

It takes time, if it ever happens, with the calibre of nuisance people we have in our Legislature, to develop a framework that caters for all possibilities. But it can be done if we are serious about it.

In Nigeria, we prefer to steal people's babies using the Nurses or just kidnap them, instead of doing things the right way. grin grin grin
Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by cmax16: 9:28am On Jun 27, 2019
PlanetOfApes:
I hope children don't take after surrogate mothers.

Whatever the case, if i were to do, i wouldn't let someone looking like any of these carry my kids.

A clean fit Latina will be OK. I wouldn't want my kids looking like Okro soup after delivery. I would't want to take chances, science can be funny atimes.

Depends, in some case the surrogate mum is just the vehicle to carry the pregnancy, both the egg & sperm comes from the real parents.

In Christiano Rinaldo's case, the egg came from the surrogate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by Amanda4life: 9:39am On Jun 27, 2019
Give me one moment in time
Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by Amanda4life: 9:41am On Jun 27, 2019
shogsman:
Where can I sign up as a sperm donor?

You sure say it reach common 1million�
Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by AreaFada2: 9:45am On Jun 27, 2019
Daboomb:

Aside any law that is or may be put in place, the greatest element that IMO, should be put in place is to ensure that the Surrogate Mother does not know the identity of the real parents.
Do it as a job (or act of kindness), deliver the baby, get paid and quietly love on.
No strings attached.

It takes time, if it ever happens, with the calibre of nuisance people we have in our Legislature, to develop a framework that caters for all possibilities. But it can be done if we are serious about it.

In Nigeria, we prefer to steal people's babies using the Nurses or just kidnap them, instead of doing things the right way. grin grin grin
Well all aspects of surrogacy should be covered by the bill regulating it. Using best practice across the world.

It's lack of transparency and corruption of bureaucracy that encourage illegal ways out.
Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by Nobody: 9:52am On Jun 27, 2019
Bisbliss:

fucck off my dear
Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by drezzyx(m): 9:55am On Jun 27, 2019
Daboomb:

You only need to see things from his angle and you will realize he has a point......even though you might not like his idea.

I am sure that looking at the issue from his own angle, (where he is coming from), is that "if men can have children through surrogacy, without marrying a wife, it reduces the need for men to marry women and therefore makes the "marry-women-for-children" role less relevant. He is also wondering that it is women who are pushing for this.

Now, that is his own concern and it is a legitimate concern but for me, l think the benefits outweighs such worry of his.

But to just jump at him and insult him over that, could be a sign of "inner insecurity" on your own part
(again, l may be wrong, maybe you just dont like the idea of anyone criticising anything female).

See the comment below, is an example:

God bless you bro, you deserve respect it shows not everyone on nairaland is immature, unlike those who think with their ass before quoting thinking they have brain not knowing it is filled with gutter water.
Re: Surrogacy: Meet Nigerian Women Who Carry Pregnancy For Other Women In The Womb by Rozaytee: 9:59am On Jun 27, 2019
yesloaded:
End time business
ode

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Can’t Cope With His Big Manhood- Wife Tells Court / The Biggest Mistake In Marriage Right Now For A Guy / Wife Ties Up Her Husband In Calabar, Attempts To Suffocate Him On Women’s Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.