Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,464 members, 7,808,645 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:50 PM

Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave (59864 Views)

Nigerian Man Stranded Faces Deportation After Wife Abandoned Him At The Airport / Nigerian Man Dies 14 Days To His Wedding (photos) / Disabled Nigerian Immigrant Faces Deportation After 34 Years In US. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by Omofranca(f): 10:52am On Jun 27, 2019
Originalsly:
Seems like she doesn't get it..... still explaining she was born there... schooled there and worked there....... when the point is that she was not registered. That's on her parents.....ignorance of the law is no excuse.
But then they been looking for every opportunity and going overboard to deport immigrants.... Black immigrants. This is one such case.
Those who run to these countries to have their babies born there should really take note... and be up to date with the ever changing laws.

She will very likely be granted British citizenship by the courts at the end of the day, even if just on compassionate grounds. Those less qualified than her who were not even born in Britain have been granted in the past.
Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by Ugosample(m): 10:53am On Jun 27, 2019
3rdavefarms:

It shall be well with all your generations in Jesus name for this wonderful comment
Most people don’t know you can enjoy life to the Brim in Lagos and Abuja alone, talkless of Calabar And Osogbo with little money , the only difficulty is Security and God is watching over us

depends on your definition of enjoyment

2 Likes

Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by bamideleniayo(m): 10:53am On Jun 27, 2019
NairalandAngel:
Why is she so scared of coming back to her real country?
Coming back to what??

2 Likes

Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by Okuda(m): 10:53am On Jun 27, 2019
Truthwords:
Welcome home. I laugh at Nigerians in diaspora, you guys will never be seen as one of them.

we dont see ourself as one of them are we are not expecting them to see us as one of them.

1 Like

Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by Agugbadin: 10:54am On Jun 27, 2019
Welcome to Next level
Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by bluefilm: 10:55am On Jun 27, 2019
I been check make I know weda the girl carry the things wey I dey like make I use this opportunity invite am to come stay with me.

But as she no carry those things wey I dey like, abeg make she dey go joor.

I no get time abeg.

Nonsense lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by ohosi4real(m): 10:55am On Jun 27, 2019
Come back home, there are many naija hansome men who are waiting for you to crab u as his wife. Home is home. Bleep uk !, Bleep british !!, Bleep england !!!. I knw talk am
Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by Ebendo123(m): 10:56am On Jun 27, 2019
Remember she no get British passport!!! cool
So like me she go follow suffer small as a Nigerian.

wisewordd:
They were advising us from there on who to vote and not to vote. Now come and enjoy next level.

Last last she go migrate go Europe or Canada.
Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by NairalandAngel(m): 10:57am On Jun 27, 2019
bamideleniayo:
Coming back to what??

To join us in enjoying Next Level in Nigeria grin
Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by Cymix: 10:59am On Jun 27, 2019
these are the people responsible for your deportation

mean while my first time of commenting here after reading comments for three years

Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by bamideleniayo(m): 10:59am On Jun 27, 2019
Truthwords:
Welcome home. I laugh at Nigerians in diaspora, you guys will never be seen as one of them.
Wetin this one dey talk..

1 Like

Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by Zzyy(m): 10:59am On Jun 27, 2019
Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by bamideleniayo(m): 11:01am On Jun 27, 2019
NairalandAngel:

To join us in enjoying Next Level in Nigeria grin
As e dey hot nah abi.
Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by Menance: 11:01am On Jun 27, 2019
Cone head. She surely must have committed.
Hafonjas are cursed
Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by nothingspoil70: 11:04am On Jun 27, 2019
Flier:
Na only you get sense for here
See them up there shouting as if we don’t have people living as large as queen of England in Nigeria
Of course some people are living large here; People like fulani herdsmen, armed robbers, mc oluomos, the politicians and lucky Yahoo boys. If you don't belong to any of the above mentioned group, it is hell on earth here bro.
Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by nwabobo: 11:05am On Jun 27, 2019
gentlemayor:
Musician born in UK given 14 days to leave the country

Bumi Thomas has been told she is illegal despite being born in Glasgow and spending most of her life in the UK

A musician born in the UK faces being kicked out of her home because of a little-known change to Home Office legislation.

Bumi Thomas was given 14 days to leave after being told she is illegal despite living here most of her life. The rising jazz star grew up thinking she was British, attended university in the UK and has legally worked and paid taxes since graduation.

However because her parents are Nigerian, she now faces deportation and being separated from her family and friends. The situation bears a chilling resemblance to the Windrush scandal, which saw many people deported in error after decades of life in the UK.

Ms Thomas was born in Glasgow in June 1983 to parents who came over from Africa in the early 1970s. In January 1983, Margaret Thatcher’s Tory government changed the British Nationality Act that removed the automatic right of citizenship for children of parents from former colonies.

The singer’s parents should have registered her but were unaware they needed to do so. In a twist of irony, Ms Thomas’ elder sister Kemi was born one year before the Act and has always had legal status.

The musician, 36, believes she is a victim of an increasingly hostile attitude by the Home Office to migrants in the UK. She told the Mail on Sunday: ‘My parents came here at the end of the Windrush era. ‘I had a National Insurance number, I had my birth certificate, I’d got a driving licence, a bank account, I went to college.

‘At no point during that process was there any indication I was doing anything incorrectly.’ Speaking to Metro.co.uk, she continued: ‘I have never had any question in my mind that I’m British and Scottish. ‘And that’s something I’m proud of. But according to a piece of paper, suddenly what I think about myself isn’t valid. It’s an illusion.’

At the age of three-and-a-half, Ms Thomas and her family returned to Nigeria. She came back to the UK as a teenager, thinking she automatically had dual British-Nigerian nationality.

After graduating with a degree in fine arts from Bath Spa University she began to work and moved to London, where she now lives with her sister.

It was only at the age of 25 when she went to apply for her UK passport that she was told she was never registered as British. The Home Office was told she had technically overstayed in an illegal capacity.

Ms Thomas said her case was classed as ‘complex’ and she was told to use human rights legislation rather than immigration laws to fight it. That marked the start of an ‘exhausting and expensive’ decade-long legal battle.

Two weeks ago she received a letter from the Home Office saying her application for permanent residency had been unsuccessful. She was given 14 days to appeal or face detention without notice.

Ms Thomas has since lodged an appeal and is awaiting a court hearing. The musician, who has performed at the Royal Festival Hall and London Palladium, continued: ‘My parents had no idea of the law change.

‘This was in an analogue age, where correspondence was written and there was no social media.’ She added: ‘When I was told I wasn’t British, I was shocked and devastated.

My soul and my spirit were screaming. ‘Nigeria is foreign to me and I am a foreigner there. I’ve been in the UK for 18 years.’ Ms Thomas’ grandfather came to the UK to study medicine and she said her parents were also given a warm welcome as part of the Windrush generation – when people from former colonies came to the UK to rebuild the country after the Second World War.

She said their treatment was in stark contrast to the way the Home Office was now treating her and thousands of others who ‘fall through the cracks of the system.’ She added: ‘There is a stigma attached to being an immigrant these days.

‘At no point did I ever think I was doing anything wrong. ‘When my parents came over they were welcomed but now it is different. There are people who have lived in the UK for 30/40/50 years facing hostility.’

Ms Thomas continued: ‘The Home Office right now has a hostile environment policy, a set of administrative and legislative measures that are designed to make staying in the UK as difficult as possible for people like me.’

The musician should be making her US debut at the Ford Theatre in Los Angeles in October but the immigration issues mean that is now in doubt. She has launched a gofundme page to help towards legal costs, which are already at £7,000 and rising.

Ms Thomas’s lawyer, Fahad Ahmed, said she missed out on automatic citizenship by a matter of months and added: ‘Courts take a less harsh view than the Home Office, and if someone can prove their life is here, the courts will use their discretion.’

The British Nationality Act 1948 gave citizens of British colonies the right to settle in the UK. Since they had the legal right to come to the UK, they never needed nor were given any documents upon entry. In what later became known as the Windrush scandal, many were wrongly detained, denied legal rights or deported in administrative blunders.

The Home Office is set to pay up to £200 million in compensation to people whose lives were damaged by their mistaken classification as illegal immigrants. The Home Office has been contacted by Metro.co.uk about Ms Thomas’ case.

Source: https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/26/musician-born-uk-given-14-days-leave-country-10074909/?ito=cbshare

Well, she's not British. The most she can do is apply for discretionary leave to remain which she'll keep extending until she's stayed here legally for 10 years before she can apply for indefinite leave to remain after which she can then apply for citizenship by naturalization.

If her parents didn't take her back to Nigeria when she was 3 and half, she would have qualified for citizenship at the age of 10. Sad.
Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by jrusky(m): 11:05am On Jun 27, 2019
tactius:

Sajid Javid , the Home Sec was born in the UK in 1969...well before the 1983 change in the law that ended automatic citizenship for Commonwealth nation immigrants...so he is automatically a citizen.

In my opinion, the fault is from her parents. They should have regularized her stay once she was born there. However, it is possible they also were not thinking of staying permanently in the UK at the time.

Regularised her document as in pls she more light to this Didn't she has her bury cerificate? Didn't she has her British Passport pls shed more light to this then I will expand the situation in UK for you better because I'm very familiar with what is going on there and not only familiar uk is like my third home.

Pls tell me more all you know and remember I said 100 of thousands people all across the world were born 30, 20, 15 years ago with foreign parents and these kids are British with British Passport so are you telling me they should all be deported If no is your answer then why singled her out for ultimatum deportation Explain pls.
Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by AngelicBeing: 11:06am On Jun 27, 2019
Ugosample:

what is this one saying?
lgnore that mugu jare @topic, I feel for the lady though but I think humanitarian & compassionate ground of her appeal might swing to her favor

1 Like

Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by AngelicBeing: 11:08am On Jun 27, 2019
Lexusgs430:
Oya nairalanders, head to the go fund me and donate generously.............
tongue
Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by eluquenson(m): 11:09am On Jun 27, 2019
Twisted
Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by AngelicBeing: 11:09am On Jun 27, 2019
hyperflex:
She should get a lawyer and fight it. She's done all that's necessary to be a British citizen. Once she leaves she has to apply as Nigerian. Stressful. I doubt she has Naija passport sef. To those laughing at her predicament nobody koba you o. Nobody say make them born u for naija. Cuz many of u like to laugh at other people's misery. Misery loves company
Exactly,
Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by Lexusgs430: 11:11am On Jun 27, 2019
AngelicBeing:
tongue

I trust you have already donated generously....... cheesy
Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by AngelicBeing: 11:11am On Jun 27, 2019
pansophist:
Her case will qualify under article 8 of ECHR. I see her winning it, depending on the strength of her lawyer putting forth a compelling case. If refugees, sick people and those not even born in Europe can be given permanent residence under the aforementioned, her case surely deserves it.
l agree, H & C might also play to her advantage as well as part of other legal options her attorney will use
Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by AngelicBeing: 11:18am On Jun 27, 2019
Lexusgs430:

I trust you have already donated generously....... cheesy
No, not yet, I will see what I can chip in for her but I think her attorney will use the EU human rights / compassionate grounds charter to fight the case, I see her winning regardless of her current ordeal, make she no comot from UK to the headquarters of poverty in the world and the 6th most miserable country on earth, Nigeria don cast, Patriotic citizens can disagree with me and continue to enjoy the endemic hardship across the country, let me drink my Starbucks Coffee with cookies jare grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by AerialMapper: 11:18am On Jun 27, 2019
The question is, did one or both her parents have legal right to be in the UK at the time of her birth? If Yes, then she is entitled to British Citizenship.

1 Like

Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by Flier: 11:21am On Jun 27, 2019
davillian:

Abeg no use Queen of England

There is one man living larger than queen of England here in Lagos,I forgot his name
Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by davillian(m): 11:25am On Jun 27, 2019
Flier:
There is one man living larger than queen of England here in Lagos,I forgot his name
Trust me no one in Nigeria can live like the Queen of England.
The Queen commands money, power and respect.
Once you are born into the royal family there from day 1 you become a blue blood.

1 Like

Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by AngelicBeing: 11:29am On Jun 27, 2019
Ugosample:

it's a shame really
wink
Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by Lexusgs430: 11:31am On Jun 27, 2019
AngelicBeing:
No, not yet, I will see what I can chip in for her but I think her attorney will use the EU human rights / compassionate grounds charter to fight the case, I see her winning regardless of her current ordeal, make she no comot from UK to the headquarters of poverty in the world and the 6th most miserable country on earth, Nigeria don cast, Patriotic citizens can disagree with me and continue to enjoy the endemic hardship across the country, let me drink my Starbucks Coffee with cookies jare grin

The exact reason she is go funding........ Who would prefer àkàrà to a bite of Krispy Kreme doughnuts...... wink
Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by wisewordd: 11:32am On Jun 27, 2019
Ebendo123:
Remember she no get British passport!!! cool
So like me she go follow suffer small as a Nigerian.

with her CV and money, it go dey easy for her to japa from Nigeria.
Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by Lexusgs430: 11:32am On Jun 27, 2019
Flier:

Who would open more doors...... That man or the Queen.........

1 Like

Re: Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave by blackslayer: 11:37am On Jun 27, 2019
Truthwords:

Jealous and gloating idiot....no one wants to be seen as "one of them"...however no one sane wants to live in that 5hit hole nigeria you call a country with fvcked up unruly masses with animalistic behavior and your kleptomaniac government.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Jelili Atiku Dresses As A Masquerade In Israel To A Dinner As People Stare -Pics / 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) / Accident Victim At Elohor Clinic Agbarho, Do You Know Him?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.