Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,127 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:19 AM

Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares (23474 Views)

NYSC: Can I Change My PPA 2 Months After I Started Working There? / Prospective Batch B Graduates Who Haven't Seen Their Names On NYSC Portal / NYSC: Nigeria has a high number of graduates who lack basic common sense (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by Nobody: 11:06pm On Jun 26, 2019
A Federal High Court in Abuja says a candidate cannot be disqualified from an election for failure to participate in the National Youth Service Corps scheme.

The court made this pronouncement on Wednesday when it struck out a suit brought against the Governor of Ogun State, Dapo Abiodun, by a former senator, Iyabo Anisulowo.

The pre-election suit challenged the eligibility of Mr Abiodun over his failure to participate in the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) scheme.

The NYSC was established in 1973 and participation is mandatory for all Nigerians who graduate from a tertiary institution in or outside the country before they attain the age of 30.

The presentation of the NYSC discharge certificate awarded at the end of the one-year scheme is a requirement for employment into the formal sector in Nigeria.

Last year, the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) disqualified the then Minister of Communications, Adebayo Shittu, from running in its governorship primaries in Oyo State after PREMIUM TIMES exposed him for skipping the NYSC scheme after taking a degree in Law in the late 1970s.

Despite the revelation that he dodged the NYSC, President Muhammadu Buhari allowed Mr Shittu to remain as minister until the dissolution of the federal executive council last month.

The former minister challenged his disqualification from the APC primaries but the court dismissed his suit against the party.

Mr Shittu also accused the APC of double standards for allowing some aspirants such as Mr Abiodun to run for its tickets even though they had also been accused of skipping the NYSC scheme despite being graduates.

The former minister has also sued the NYSC, arguing that participation in the NYSC is not a requirement to hold public office.

Also last year, Kemi Adeosun was forced to step down as Minister of Finance after PREMIUM TIMES revealed that she forged an NYSC exemption certificate which enabled her to be cleared for an appointment first as a commissioner in Ogun State and then as a minister in 2015 by President Buhari.

Mrs Adeosun had graduated from an institution in the United Kingdom before the age of 30, which made her eligible for participation in the NYSC scheme.

An exemption certificate is awarded only to Nigerians who are older than 25 years when they graduated, those serving in the military or security forces or those exempted on health ground.

Mrs Adeosun’s case is, however, different from that of Messrs Shittu and Abiodun because they did not use forged NYSC certificate neither did they falsely claim to have participated or be exempted from it.

The Abiodun judgement

In the suit against Mr Abiodun of Ogun State, his counsel, Wale Ajayi, had prayed the court to dismiss the case against his client, saying participation in the NYSC scheme is not a requirement for participation in elections.

Justice M A Mohammed, in his judgment, dismissed Mr Abiiodun’s notice of preliminary objection and proceeded to deliver judgment on the substantive suit.

The judge also noted that the plaintiff failed to establish that Mr Abiodun presented false academic claims to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

He held that the NYSC Act does not stipulate that a candidate who failed to participate in the NYSC scheme be disqualified from elections.

The judge pointed out that a candidate can only be disqualified based on Section 177 of the Constitution, and subsequently dismissed the suit.

The section states: “A person shall be qualified for election to the office of Governor of a State if: (a) he is a citizen of Nigeria by birth; (b) he has attained the age of thirty-five years; (c) he is a member of a political party and is sponsored by that political party, and (d) he has been educated up to at least School Certificate level or its equivalent.”

The court said since Mr Abiodun has not breached any of these provisions, the suit lacked merit.

The implication of the judgment is that candidates seeking election to contest governorship elections in Nigeria no longer need to present NYSC certificates.

The case is the last of a series of pre-election matters filed in court against the Ogun governor. The other cases had been similarly dismissed.

Only on Monday, the Supreme Court dismissed a similar case brought by Abdulrafiu Baruwa challenging the qualification of Mr Abiodun on the ground of failure to disclose all his academic qualifications.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/337294-nysc-court-says-graduates-who-skip-scheme-can-contest-governorship.html

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by Nobody: 11:06pm On Jun 26, 2019

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by rusher14: 11:14pm On Jun 26, 2019
grin

The law is simply following the constitution.

There's absolutely no reason why fail fail Adeleke should qualify to contest for governor whilst a graduate would be overlooked on the basis of not completing NYSC.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by usafemo(m): 11:25pm On Jun 26, 2019
Our presido nah school sat holder.... so why diverting issues. Education nah scam

4 Likes

Re: Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by ArmaniUhuru: 9:46am On Jun 27, 2019
Y
Re: Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by Doglove91: 9:46am On Jun 27, 2019
Me I no understand oh undecided
Re: Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by Sonofthunder9(m): 9:46am On Jun 27, 2019
N
Re: Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by ZikZikZik: 9:47am On Jun 27, 2019
Ahhh finally come good news for me today

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by PrinceKevin01: 9:47am On Jun 27, 2019
shocked shocked shocked shocked
The Nigerian Politicians I know will bend the law however and whenever for their very own selfish interest

Anyway, i will Build a Professional Logo & Letterhead paper for your Product or Company For 1k. Offer valid today only. See my info below
Re: Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by jamishac7: 9:47am On Jun 27, 2019
nothing surprises me anymore.....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by Afritop(m): 9:47am On Jun 27, 2019
So far supreme Court no talk am all other ruling are void. However that is an encouragement for fresh graduates

1 Like

Re: Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by SOFTDRINK: 9:48am On Jun 27, 2019
APC is really bent on destroying the fabrics of the shithole.
Re: Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by Babanlagenius: 9:48am On Jun 27, 2019
They will always do everything humanly possible to fit in election

but when it comes to job they will add skills and experience.

Visit my signature

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by Sirpaul(m): 9:48am On Jun 27, 2019
so to say NYSC na scam

4 Likes

Re: Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by kunkelhanspeter(m): 9:48am On Jun 27, 2019
See as dey are changing the rules to suit them after all our President don’t even have WAEC

4 Likes

Re: Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by frowland(m): 9:49am On Jun 27, 2019
It is the fault of the constitution NOT the fault of the court. Copy and paste constitution.

2 Likes

Re: Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by NoBetterNigeria: 9:49am On Jun 27, 2019
Nysc scam, Nigeria sef Nah scam
Re: Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by etcsines: 9:50am On Jun 27, 2019
What rubbish?

So me that did NYSC, I don't have sense abi?

9 Likes

Re: Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by AngelicBeing: 9:50am On Jun 27, 2019
National year of suffering and confusion, NYSC grin

1 Like

Re: Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by bigeliot(m): 9:50am On Jun 27, 2019
Mumu country...... Wat of buhari
Re: Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by aewhydot: 9:50am On Jun 27, 2019
usafemo:
Our presido nah school sat holder.... so why diverting issues. Education nah scam

Will u please stop ridiculing the Military Institutions? A General is an equivalent of a Professor in the Universities

15 Likes

Re: Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by HarryDuce(m): 9:50am On Jun 27, 2019
I don't understand this country anymore honestly. These rouges we call leaders are just making mockery of us and abusing their position.

Anyway, Our president has set the precedent. Expect more of this in the future.

3 Likes

Re: Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by nairalandankrah: 9:51am On Jun 27, 2019
Is that so?
Re: Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by bigeliot(m): 9:51am On Jun 27, 2019
Mumu people...ask babu
Re: Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by braveboy64(m): 9:51am On Jun 27, 2019
criminals has structured the constitution to favour them

1 Like

Re: Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by shortgun(m): 9:52am On Jun 27, 2019
Correct judgement
Re: Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by martineverest(m): 9:52am On Jun 27, 2019
braveboy64:
criminals has structured the constitution to favour them
reason with the judge...

1 Like

Re: Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by Nobody: 9:53am On Jun 27, 2019
usafemo:
Our presido nah school sat certificate holder.... so why diverting issues. Education nah scam

Seriously, you guys should give your bitterness a break.

Buhari graduated from what is now the NDA. At the very least he has a qualification equivalent to a BSc.

Also, service in the Army excludes you from needing to go for NYSC...besides, Bubu had been in the Army for 12 years when NYSC was set up.

And check out most of our governors...99% of them have their BSc. Even Gandollars has PhD ....from University of Ibadan self! smiley..Is educaiton a scam.

If you want to be President...stop grumbling. Go into politcs...and run for office. Don't be lazy. The Buhari you are mocking spent 10 years running for President. And it is not as if even the Northern elites liked him either.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Graduates Who Skip NYSC Can Contest Governorship Elections" - Court Declares by ZikZikZik: 9:53am On Jun 27, 2019
etcsines:
What rubbish?

So me that did NYSC, I don't have sense abi?
grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Prospective Corpers Embark On A Peaceful Protest / NYSC Backs Army On Detention Of Female Soldier Who Accepted Corper's Proposal / Help! Nysc Problem! I'm stuck and confused!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.