Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,951 members, 7,806,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:37 PM

Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. (2409 Views)

2021 Toyota Yaris Cross Unveiled With Hybrid And AWD / The 2020 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid And Its Solar Roof / Hybrid And Electric Vehicle Maintenance: Highlander Hybrid Battery Tear Down (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. by TRYGO(m): 7:19am On Jun 27, 2019
Some few days ago, I got a call, from an owner of a hybrid Highlander, 2010.

He's complaint was that the car was just not coming on READY, after it was detailed at a car wash facility.

The guys at the car wash facility, were themselves not able to get the car on READY, hence the call to the owner, who was visibly infuriated by the development.

Dashed down to the vicinity, popped the bonnet opened, to check of there had being water intrusions into any high voltage electrical connectors or components.

Unfortunately, there was none.

The engine hasn't being washed yet as at that time.

The guys over there, had decided to start the detailing the interiors of the car, before they could commenced the engine portion.

When I saw the ponds of water in the floor of the car, I already knew where the problem was coming from.

Touched the rugs, and it was dammed wet.

Drove the car down to the shop, and commenced work immediately.

For those who have never experienced this after a car wash, you're lucky.

DIAGNOSIS METHODOLOGY
1. Brainstorm, and try to understand the customer's complaint (s).
In this case, he had brought the car to the car wash guys, in a working perfect condition.
So what would have happened?
That was my thought.

2.Are there any malfunction indicator lights showing on the instrument panel?
The check hybrid system was on, and airbag.
The airbag light didn't pop up from the car wash facility. It has being there, according to the owner of the car.

3. Retrieved the code from the hybrid system, using a hybrid enabled scanned tool, and got A high voltage ISOLATION problem (this means the high voltage system is leaking some measure of current on the chassis ground of the vehicle).

Not fixing this problem, is extremely lethal to the car owner, and to any technician that may be working on it.

4. Discovering the ponds of water at the floor of the car, and specifically the HV battery pack location, has somewhat solved the problem.

5. Performing a job like this one, entails you to prioritize your safety first, since you'd be working in the vicinity of a voltage that could electrocute, or even kill you of you're not lucky.

6. Don't wash your hybrid vehicle, if you're certain the car wash facility does not have prerequisite knowledge about hybrids.

1 Like

Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. by TRYGO(m): 7:22am On Jun 27, 2019
Ponds of water underneath the battery pack

Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. by TRYGO(m): 7:24am On Jun 27, 2019
Water drain seal to drain the excess water

Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. by TRYGO(m): 7:26am On Jun 27, 2019
Drain seal unplugged to allow drainage

Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. by TRYGO(m): 7:27am On Jun 27, 2019
Using a shop rag to fastened the cleaning

Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. by TRYGO(m): 7:28am On Jun 27, 2019
Shows the HV relay assembly

Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. by TRYGO(m): 7:30am On Jun 27, 2019
HV relays on a worktable.

Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. by TRYGO(m): 7:32am On Jun 27, 2019
HV relay assembly disassembled to provide access for proper cleaning and drying out

Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. by TRYGO(m): 7:33am On Jun 27, 2019
Using a brush, and a bottle of methylated spirit to dry out moisture

Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. by TRYGO(m): 7:35am On Jun 27, 2019
Planned view of the exposed battery pack

Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. by TRYGO(m): 7:36am On Jun 27, 2019
That's the car at the car wash facility

1 Like

Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jun 29, 2019
The water must have gotten in the wrong places, I just hope nothing expensive was damaged.

1 Like

Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:26pm On Jun 29, 2019
How does one get knowledge in hybrid car technology?. Hybrids, ECU rebuilding, engine and transmission rebuilds are something I would want for my staffs to know.
Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. by Lexusgs430: 2:16am On Jun 30, 2019
After you finish this work, your pay go build small bungalow for my village............. cheesy
Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. by TRYGO(m): 6:48am On Jun 30, 2019
@Neededgist. Sure, you're right. Ponds of water was in the vicinity of the HV contactor's(relay assembly).
This is a typical example of resistance barrier breakdown between a high voltage system, and body ground (chassis of the car).

@lexusgs430: are you sure at all?

@tensazangetsu20.
Knowledge in that technology?
A lot involved.
Determination, willing to spend MORE time researching current trends on such a technology (personal development), etc.

ECU rebuilding? I don't rebuild ECUs. Although that depends on what is being rebuild.
For instance, I can only replaced electronic components like capacitors, and all that on a faulty ECU if the need arises.

Rebuilding ECUs isn't a small job. You need to Br knowledgeable software programming..., and get to know exactly what the manufacturer's engineers were thinking at the time of design(mode 6, if know what I'm saying).

For the hybrid system, you can't rebuild the transmission system, especially the generations 2 to current Prius (es), and others. Bit the transmission system on the gen 1, 1999-2001 can be rebuilt, since you could easily replaced any of the electric/generator motors, when any of the components is bad, especially faulty insulation issues on the motors. For the gen2 and current, any transmission system problems, means the whole assembly must be replaced.

Engine rebuilding is quite easy, on those cars, since they are internal combustion ones.
All rebuilding techniques are same here.
The only precaution you need taking is to ensure before and after the rebuild, the traction battery (HV pack) has significant juice to start the car.
Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:06am On Jun 30, 2019
TRYGO:
@Neededgist. Sure, you're right. Ponds of water was in the vicinity of the HV contactor's(relay assembly).
This is a typical example of resistance barrier breakdown between a high voltage system, and body ground (chassis of the car).

@tensazangetsu20.
A lot involved.
Determination, willing to spend MORE time researching current trends on such a technology (personal development), etc.

ECU rebuilding? I don't rebuild ECUs. Although that depends on what is being rebuild.
For instance, I can only replaced electronic components like capacitors, and all that on a faulty ECU if the need arises.

Rebuilding ECUs isn't a small job. You need to Br knowledgeable software programming..., and get to know exactly what the manufacturer's engineers were thinking at the time of design(mode 6, if know what I'm saying).

For the hybrid system, you can't rebuild the transmission system, especially the generations 2 to current Prius (es), and others. Bit the transmission system on the gen 1, 1999-2001 can be rebuilt, since you could easily replaced any of the electric/generator motors, when any of the components is bad, especially faulty insulation issues on the motors. For the gen2 and current, any transmission system problems, means the whole assembly must be replaced.

Engine rebuilding is quite easy, on those cars, since they are internal combustion ones.
The only precaution you need taking is to ensure before and after the rebuild, the traction battery (HV pack) has significant juice to start the car.

Thanks for your reply. I wish I could get some German hybrids to experiment on. I find German cars to be so difficult that once you master working on them the Japanese cars are just a piece of cake. I learnt to work on cars with mercedes and Toyotas and Hondas are just so easy in comparison.

2 Likes

Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. by Lexusgs430: 8:50am On Jun 30, 2019
TRYGO:

@tensazangetsu20.
A lot involved.

Nah charity you dey work for......... E go surely build house + buy land sef..........
Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. by obekediamondfuto(m): 3:07pm On Jul 01, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Nah charity you dey work for......... E go surely build house + buy land sef..........

Not sure but it'll take the house to lintel level.....
Just kidding, Nigerians drive cars with little or no intent on spending too much for repairs..... Everyone does....

So if baba mistakenly send invoice with calculations in the hundreds of thousands, owner of car go change am for am instantly!

In Nigeria, a lot of people believe that a fix that requires a part change should be more expensive than just cleaning the parts and rug and drying them....

Car owner will be like..... Why didn't u tell me so I'll clean it by myself....

Thank God for comprehensive insurance grin
Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. by ashleysummer: 1:26pm On Aug 02, 2019
Given the cost of ceramic coatings vs any of the multitude of saran wraps available I do not see the allure of the ceramic. I recently covered my other two vehicles in Suntek after carefully evaluating it against xpel. The finish is certainly glossy enough for me and neither of these vehicles have the factory optioned orange peel my C7 does so no need to wet sand them prior to application. Plus ceramics don't provide protection from physical abrasions caused by rocks or road debris.
Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. by Besto(m): 6:05pm On Aug 03, 2019
Lexusgs430:
After you finish this work, your pay go build small bungalow for my village............. cheesy

Asin ehn. This people feels any Clean car owner carries bank in the trunk.
Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. by Lexusgs430: 8:39pm On Aug 03, 2019
Besto:

Asin ehn. This people feels any Clean car owner carries bank in the trunk.

Big man motor = Big wàhálà...... How mecho go chop wella......... wink
Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. by starlionnotch: 10:28pm On Aug 03, 2019
TRYGO:

@tensazangetsu20.
A lot involved.

Bro. I intend buying a nigerian used camry hybrid 2008. What possible faults should i be looking out for? Are there perculiar problems with that edition? What are the pros of having a hybrid?
Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. by Lexusgs430: 10:42pm On Aug 03, 2019
starlionnotch:

Bro. I intend buying a nigerian used camry hybrid 2008. What possible faults should i be looking out for? Are there perculiar problems with that edition? What are the pros of having a hybrid?

The pros are when stuck in traffic or driving slowly, your hybrid battery would be silently carrying you along......

That 11 year old hybrid battery, might send you are very expensive replacement bill...... Ordinary Kazeems cannot say Oga, open bonnet....... grin
Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. by starlionnotch: 4:06pm On Aug 04, 2019
Lexusgs430:

The pros are when stuck in traffic or driving slowly, your hybrid battery would be silently carrying you along......

That 11 year old hybrid battery, might send you are very expensive replacement bill...... Ordinary Kazeems cannot say Oga, open bonnet....... grin
Thank you so much, do i really did not get what you meant by your conclusion.
But i would like to know if the hybrid system can work perfectly without the battery? Or when the battery dies, does it affeact the general performance of the car?
Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. by TRYGO(m): 5:29pm On Aug 04, 2019
@stalionnotch. Peculiar problems you may expect generally with the Camry hybrid, depending on the age, and mileage of the car, would be first and foremost, the hybrid battery, and followed by properly the ABS actuator.
The inverters on hybrid vehicles are solidly reliable and durable. They rarely fail!
Pros of the vehicle is the 1) performance surpasses the conventional Camry, due to the added electric motors that provides torque to the vehicle; 2) you save a whole lot in fuels and the environment, if you're a climate change enthusiast. 3) you don't have issues with replacing power steering fluids etc.
the cons are just that if the vehicle breaks down, especially maybe the inverter pump, battery, the electric AC compressor, etc, the costs of replacing them might get to you(your pocket I mean). But if you have another car, while your hybrid car is being maintained, you won't feel the urged to want the car so quick, but would allowed your technician to concentrate and fix it.

Ensure you allowed only qualified hybrid vehicle personnel's to work on the car, especially the rear brakes are not to be bled or worked on as a normal conventional brake systems we've around (hydraulic systems only).

When buying a Nigerian used one, be extremely careful. We've got a lot of those vehicles around with dead batteries, abs actuators, etc.

Don't buy anyone with check engine light, check hybrid system, VSC, etc lights lit on the dashboard.

Go with your hybrid tech. He'd helped you check emmm out before you make NY commitments.

There are a lot yo look out for though.

Here's an article I wrote some years ago.

https://www.nairaland.com/3461737/now-youve-gotten-hybrid-car

Hope this piece of advice helps you make. better decision.

Regards,
Joseph

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. by Lexusgs430: 10:22pm On Aug 04, 2019
starlionnotch:

Thank you so much, do i really did not get what you meant by your conclusion.
But i would like to know if the hybrid system can work perfectly without the battery? Or when the battery dies, does it affeact the general performance of the car?

If the hybrid battery is dead..... The car is dead....... Till you get the hybrid system fixed........

1 Like

Re: Hybrid And Electric Vehicles: Be Careful Where You Detail Your Car. by starlionnotch: 9:21pm On Aug 05, 2019
TRYGO:
@stalionnotch. Peculiar problems you may expect generally with the Camry hybrid, depending on the age, and mileage of the car, would be first and foremost, the hybrid battery, and followed by properly the ABS actuator.
The inverters on hybrid vehicles are solidly reliable and durable. They rarely fail!
Pros of the vehicle is the 1) performance surpasses the conventional Camry, due to the added electric motors that provides torque to the vehicle; 2) you save a whole lot in fuels and the environment, if you're a climate change enthusiast. 3) you don't have issues with replacing power steering fluids etc.
the cons are just that if the vehicle breaks down, especially maybe the inverter pump, battery, the electric AC compressor, etc, the costs of replacing them might get to you(your pocket I mean). But if you have another car, while your hybrid car is being maintained, you won't feel the urged to want the car so quick, but would allowed your technician to concentrate and fix it.

Ensure you allowed only qualified hybrid vehicle personnel's to work on the car, especially the rear brakes are not to be bled or worked on as a normal conventional brake systems we've around (hydraulic systems only).

When buying a Nigerian used one, be extremely careful. We've got a lot of those vehicles around with dead batteries, abs actuators, etc.

Don't buy anyone with check engine light, check hybrid system, VSC, etc lights lit on the dashboard.

Go with your hybrid tech. He'd helped you check emmm out before you make NY commitments.

There are a lot yo look out for though.

Here's an article I wrote some years ago.

https://www.nairaland.com/3461737/now-youve-gotten-hybrid-car

Hope this piece of advice helps you make. better decision.

Regards,
Joseph

Thank you so much, you are a good man.
I guess you are in Lagos, i do not even know where to find such technicians in Abuja.

(1) (Reply)

Hyundai / Kia Mechanic In Abuja / Window Winder Conversion / 2007 Mitsubuishi Outlander

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.