Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:27 AM

To Stand And Drink, Or To Sit Whilst Drinking? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / To Stand And Drink, Or To Sit Whilst Drinking? (10538 Views)

Alhaja Who Collapsed During Ramadan Fast Rejects Malt Drink Offer / Does Undertaking Covid-19 Test Whilst Fasting Affect The Validity Of The Fast? / Ruling On Using Toothpaste Whilst Fasting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Stand And Drink, Or To Sit Whilst Drinking? by Lukgaf(m): 5:22am On Jun 28, 2019
Question

Looking at the narrations below, what is the Sunnah?

To stand and drink, or to sit whilst drinking?

a) Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) said “No person should stand and drink water, and if one forgetfully stood and drank it, it should be vomited out” (Sahih Muslim, Hadith: 2026)

b) Imam Ahmad narrated that Sayyiduna ‘Ali ibn Abi Talib (radiyallahu ‘anhu) drank whilst standing, and the people looked at him as if they objected to that. He said: ‘What are you looking at? If I drink whilst standing, I saw Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) drink whilst standing, and if I drink sitting, I saw Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) drink whilst sitting.’

Imam Bukhari (Hadith: 5615) narrated from Sayyiduna ‘Ali (radiyallahu ‘anhu) that he drank whilst standing then he said: ‘Some people say it is makruh [disliked] for one of you to drink whilst standing, but I saw Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) doing what you have seen me do.’

Answer

You have cited two types of Hadiths;

a) A Hadith that discourages standing and drinking.

b) Hadiths that show permissibility of drinking whilst standing.

There are several narrations that support each of the above. Refer to ‘Umdatul Qari, Hadith: 5615.

There is no contradiction in the above, if understood correctly.

Numerous Hadith Scholars, Like ‘Allamah Khattabi, Ibn Battal, Imam Baghawi, Imam Nawawi, Hafiz Ibn Hajar Al-‘Asqalani and others (rahimahumullah) have explained that the Hadith which discourages standing is explaining the ideal, and it is therefore Mustahabb (recommended) to drink [and eat] whilst seated.

The opposing Hadith is actually showing the permissibility of standing, and not the recommended practice.

Some ‘Ulama have mentioned that standing and drinking is actually harmful to health, and could even affect the kidney.

As a rule, there is no contradiction between a deed being permissible but not ideal.

Our Nabi (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) -in addition to habitually practicing on the ideal- would sometimes also practice on what was not ideal, merely to demonstrate its permissibility for the Ummah. There are several examples of this. The topic in question is one of them.

In short, the proper Sunnah is to sit and drink, but if one stands it will still be permissible.

Refer: Fathul Bari and ‘Umdatul Qari, Hadith: 5615-5617.

And Allah Ta’ala Knows best.

Shayk Muhammad Abasoomar

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: To Stand And Drink, Or To Sit Whilst Drinking? by Nobody: 9:07am On Jun 28, 2019
Sitting is better health wise

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Stand And Drink, Or To Sit Whilst Drinking? by NOC1(m): 9:12am On Jun 28, 2019
why ask me am i a muslim, but when it comes to Christian related post i dont see such question.

you people should stop shielding yourselves from questions, always acting unsecured.

26 Likes

Re: To Stand And Drink, Or To Sit Whilst Drinking? by efabricators: 9:14am On Jun 28, 2019
I did rather jump and drink.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Stand And Drink, Or To Sit Whilst Drinking? by RemiTinubu(f): 9:19am On Jun 28, 2019
inihalli yalakahi amirinat zibya cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: To Stand And Drink, Or To Sit Whilst Drinking? by soetantaiwo(m): 9:29am On Jun 28, 2019
How does religion enter drinking water while sitting or while standing? If you like, lie down while you're drinking, but I had never come across of this in my bible. Common sense are not common Sha

18 Likes

Re: To Stand And Drink, Or To Sit Whilst Drinking? by Nobody: 9:33am On Jun 28, 2019
Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) said “No person should stand and drink water, and if one forgetfully stood and drank it, it should be vomited out” (Sahih Muslim, Hadith: 2026)

What’s wrong with these people for Christ sake?

38 Likes

Re: To Stand And Drink, Or To Sit Whilst Drinking? by Nobody: 9:34am On Jun 28, 2019
soetantaiwo:
How does religion enter drinking water while sitting or while standing? If you like, lie down while you're drinking, but I had never come across of this in my bible. Common sense are not common Sha
my brother, the thing vex me sotey I sign their thing

28 Likes

Re: To Stand And Drink, Or To Sit Whilst Drinking? by factualscomedy(m): 9:44am On Jun 28, 2019
Being a Muslim is the hardest thing to be.
I know Quran addressed squatting and urinating.
Did it also address the position with which we "shit"

13 Likes

Re: To Stand And Drink, Or To Sit Whilst Drinking? by Proffwhyhurry12(m): 9:46am On Jun 28, 2019
Sallalahu aleyhi wasallam!

1 Like

Re: To Stand And Drink, Or To Sit Whilst Drinking? by faruqola(m): 9:59am On Jun 28, 2019
masha Allah... thanks to the prophet for making everything easy and healthy for us...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: To Stand And Drink, Or To Sit Whilst Drinking? by falcon01: 9:59am On Jun 28, 2019
I am a Muslim and I find this so freaking funny!

8 Likes

Re: To Stand And Drink, Or To Sit Whilst Drinking? by faruqola(m): 10:01am On Jun 28, 2019
soetantaiwo:

hmm... common sense you say? that sense too is rear.... salalahu aleihi wasalam... to the prophet
Re: To Stand And Drink, Or To Sit Whilst Drinking? by faruqola(m): 10:02am On Jun 28, 2019
factualscomedy:
Being a Muslim is the hardest thing to be.
I know Quran addressed squatting and urinating.
Did it also address the position with which we "shit"

chai! it's very bad to have a retarded brain setting you will just be vomiting nonsense
Re: To Stand And Drink, Or To Sit Whilst Drinking? by falcon01: 10:03am On Jun 28, 2019
0KNM:
my brother, the thing vex me sotey I sign their thing
lmao the.thiny get you so you you had to take the oat to talk cheesy

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Stand And Drink, Or To Sit Whilst Drinking? by Baker77: 10:13am On Jun 28, 2019
Alhamdu lillah for the favor of Islam

3 Likes

Re: To Stand And Drink, Or To Sit Whilst Drinking? by koolaid87: 10:32am On Jun 28, 2019
Salams to our muslim Brothers and Sisters, as nairaland is for everyone, pls can you bring more topics about islam that is relevant to our society and beneficial to mankind.

Topics like, how to drink water, how to poopoo, how to self-service is super absurd.

This is 2019, let's not be reasoning like we're all bunch of almajiris

If there's no better topics that y'll can dig out from this religion of peace, then there's nothing compelling about Islam

Dont bash me, as I'm on my period

wink

3 Likes

Re: To Stand And Drink, Or To Sit Whilst Drinking? by Akosxxx(m): 11:33am On Jun 28, 2019
All praises is due to Allah for the blessing of Islam.

Islam is a religion that cannot be compared with any other religion because of its completeness.

Islam addresses the way we eat, walk, talk, deficate, worship, treat people and so on. As such, it should strike a right thinking person's mind and raise his curiosity towards learning about Islam.
It's a religion that's more than interested in you making money, you giving alms, and worshipping.

Even Scientists believe that there are rules to everything we do

If you want the manual to live life then come to islam

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Stand And Drink, Or To Sit Whilst Drinking? by rowrowland: 11:43am On Jun 28, 2019
soetantaiwo:
Islam is a complete way of life- nothing is left untouched. It's completeness is its strength and beauty.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: To Stand And Drink, Or To Sit Whilst Drinking? by shanaka4u(m): 11:45am On Jun 28, 2019
koolaid87:
Salams to our muslim Brothers and Sisters, as nairaland is for everyone, pls can you bring more topics about islam that is relevant to our society and beneficial to mankind.

Topics like, how to drink water, how to poopoo, how to self-service is super absurd.

This is 2019, let's not be reasoning like we're all bunch of almajiris

If there's no better topics that y'll can dig out from this religion of peace, then there's nothing compelling about Islam

Dont bash me, as I'm on my period

wink
. if you are a good Muslim then you will know that Islam addresses all facets of human life and that is what is not in the other religions as anybody can innovate anything in their religion. besides it has been proved that drinking while standing is detrimental to the health ( u can browse it out) thereby corroborating what Islam said more than 1400 years ago. a topic dealing with your health is not worth discussing? don't tell us that. In any case Islam guides all aspects of our life and am happy it. remember :
Say, "Indeed, my prayer, my rites of sacrifice, my living and my dying are for Allah, Lord of the worlds. Al An'am 6 v 162.

4 Likes

Re: To Stand And Drink, Or To Sit Whilst Drinking? by Aarenasbaba(m): 12:16pm On Jun 28, 2019
soetantaiwo:
Is simply because common sense is not in ur own Bible.....

Every act of life is taught in Islam, from walking to sleep.....mention it

1 Like

Re: To Stand And Drink, Or To Sit Whilst Drinking? by abbasajao(m): 1:07pm On Jun 28, 2019
[quote author=soetantaiwo post=79740356]How does religion enter drinking water while sitting or while standing? If you like, lie down while you're drinking, but I had never come across of this in my bible. Common sense are not common Sha[/qu
Different from your self-acclaimed religion, ours religion, religion of Allah encompasses everything that has to do with human being. Ranging from how to greet, how to talk, drink,eat ,have sexual intercourse, sleep and everything you can think off.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: To Stand And Drink, Or To Sit Whilst Drinking? by Aboo0123: 3:31pm On Jun 28, 2019
soetantaiwo:

See this one sha. Islam didn't leave any stone unturned.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Stand And Drink, Or To Sit Whilst Drinking? by Saidahteefah(m): 12:06am On Jun 29, 2019
[center][/center] nice 1

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? / Prohibition Of Spying And Prying Into People's Life / Knowing The Value Of Nawafil (Voluntary Religious Acts)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.