Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,757 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:55 PM

Google Map Error Leaves About 100 Drivers Stranded And Stuck In A Empty Field - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Google Map Error Leaves About 100 Drivers Stranded And Stuck In A Empty Field (794 Views)

Ibadan To Lagos Train Stuck In The Forest As Fuel Finishes (pictures) / Man And His Car Stuck In Lagos Flood After Heavy Rainfall / Helicopter Picks Billionaire Stuck In Traffic For 2 Hours On Lagos-Benin Road (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Google Map Error Leaves About 100 Drivers Stranded And Stuck In A Empty Field by AutoJoshNG: 7:41pm On Jun 29, 2019

The purpose of Google map is to rightly guide you to a location you’re not familiar with. But when this Google map does the opposite of what it’s meant to do, we can say there is a problem.

An erroneous direction from Google map which offered about 100 Colorado drivers a supposedly quick way out of a traffic jam left them stranded and stuck.

A crash on Peña Boulevard, a road leading to Denver International Airport, prompted the app to take drivers on a detour on Sunday.

The alternate route took drivers down a dirt road that rain had turned into a muddy mess, and cars started sliding around.

Some vehicles couldn’t make it through the mud, and about 100 others became trapped behind them.

Connie Monsees was on her way to pick up her husband at the airport when she encountered the wreck on Peña Boulevard.

“I thought ‘maybe there’s a detour’ and pulled it up on Google Maps, and it gave me a a detour that was half the time,” she said. “It was 43 minutes initially, and it was going to be 23 instead — so I took the exit and drove where they told me to.

“There were bunches of other cars going down [the dirt road] too, so I said, ‘I guess it’s OK.’ It was not OK.”

Google said the road was not marked as private.

“We take many factors into account when determining driving routes, including the size of the road and the directness of the route,” the company said in a statement. “While we always work to provide the best directions, issues can arise due to unforeseen circumstances such as weather. We encourage all drivers to follow local laws, stay attentive, and use their best judgment while driving.”

Luckily, Monsees’ car has all-wheel drive, and she was able to get through the sticky situation. She even gave two people a ride to the airport, and they were able to catch their flights.

“I tore up the front passenger wheel well liner,” Monsees said, adding that others had it much worse.

Source: https://autojosh.com/google-map-error-drivers-stranded-stuck/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun
Re: Google Map Error Leaves About 100 Drivers Stranded And Stuck In A Empty Field by megafaraday(m): 7:52pm On Jun 29, 2019
Morale of the story; Follow Google map but don't forget to use your head
Re: Google Map Error Leaves About 100 Drivers Stranded And Stuck In A Empty Field by Mooselion(m): 8:28pm On Jun 29, 2019
Lol....

One day man will need A.I and application on how to bang his wife and procreate...

Re: Google Map Error Leaves About 100 Drivers Stranded And Stuck In A Empty Field by Nobody: 6:13am On Jun 30, 2019
Imagine your final destination is lekki and you find your self in Abeokuta. Funniest thing is that some will still know they re driving wrong path, but because it is google map, it cant be wrong. I have been using it accurately for the past 10 years.
Re: Google Map Error Leaves About 100 Drivers Stranded And Stuck In A Empty Field by Nobody: 7:29am On Jun 30, 2019
I and my friend drove from Anambra to Owerri and back using Google map. Wonderful app.
Re: Google Map Error Leaves About 100 Drivers Stranded And Stuck In A Empty Field by tck2000(m): 10:00am On Jun 30, 2019
How do Google map the whole world?
Re: Google Map Error Leaves About 100 Drivers Stranded And Stuck In A Empty Field by colly1860: 1:07pm On Jun 30, 2019
Still a tourist destination... The drivers should hold a conference there..
Re: Google Map Error Leaves About 100 Drivers Stranded And Stuck In A Empty Field by sheffyUTD(m): 3:35pm On Jun 30, 2019
Funny. Google needs to improve their base map. Something like this happened to me two weeks ago. I wanted to pass through Yaba from Tejuosho market, to Surulere and get to Apapa without going to Ojuelegba, but the stuff was directing me to face Island. Even when I was looking at my location straight ahead, it was still saying, turn left, take right. Common sense should be applied all the time

(1) (Reply)

Any 2-4k Hotel or Guest house In Lagos? / Advice On Uk Admission To University Of Chester / Ibadan To Ikire By Bus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.