Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,000 members, 7,806,917 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:52 AM

Hegemony: What Igbo Can Learn From Yoruba - Reno Omokri - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hegemony: What Igbo Can Learn From Yoruba - Reno Omokri (4079 Views)

Brazilians Are Teaching Me How To Speak Yoruba: Reno Omokri / Tanko Yakasai: How Igbo Can Produce A President / Igbo VS Yoruba: Reno Omokri Reacts To Bail Variation Of Sowore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hegemony: What Igbo Can Learn From Yoruba - Reno Omokri by OgboAto: 6:05am On Jul 01, 2019
leokid866:
Truth be told, the way I see it we dot need to unite as Yoruba, Igbos, or Hausa. As long as we can unite as Nigerians with a clear directive of moving forward progressively. If we can just shelve our secondary labels and go back to the base label of been human with basic needs we will be able to move forward. America has more ethnic communities within its borders than Nigeria will ever have, but they keep things moving because they realize they are all humans with basic needs to be met. But we Nigerians are still struggling with who is Igbo, who is Yoruba and who is Hausa or fulani.

This is a very pedestrian thought but OK.
Re: Hegemony: What Igbo Can Learn From Yoruba - Reno Omokri by bastardmod: 6:49am On Jul 01, 2019
MetaPhysical:

Azikiwe did whattt..

Ncnc and npc coalition, instead of join the AG and be Prime Minister, he joined the north and they got the pm...
Re: Hegemony: What Igbo Can Learn From Yoruba - Reno Omokri by bastardmod: 6:54am On Jul 01, 2019
OgboAto:

Looooooooooool.
These people are fucking illiterates. cheesy

In the general election of 1959 to determine which parties would rule in the immediate postcolonial period, the major ones won a majority of seats in their regions, but none emerged powerful enough to constitute a national government. A coalition government was formed by the NPC and NCNC, the former having been greatly favored by the departing colonial authority. The coalition provided a measure of north-south consensus that would not have been the case if the NCNC and AG had formed a coalition. Nnamdi Azikiwe (NCNC) became the governor general (and president after the country became a republic in 1963), Abubakar Tafawa Balewa (NPC) was named prime minister, and Obafemi Awolowo (AG) had to settle for leader of the opposition.......culled

Now who's the bleeping illiterate ? grin grin grin tongue

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hegemony: What Igbo Can Learn From Yoruba - Reno Omokri by bastardmod: 6:55am On Jul 01, 2019
MetaPhysical:

Azikiwe did whattt..
In the general election of 1959 to determine which parties would rule in the immediate postcolonial period, the major ones won a majority of seats in their regions, but none emerged powerful enough to constitute a national government. A coalition government was formed by the NPC and NCNC, the former having been greatly favored by the departing colonial authority. The coalition provided a measure of north-south consensus that would not have been the case if the NCNC and AG had formed a coalition. Nnamdi Azikiwe (NCNC) became the governor general (and president after the country became a republic in 1963), Abubakar Tafawa Balewa (NPC) was named prime minister, and Obafemi Awolowo (AG) had to settle for leader of the opposition...culled

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hegemony: What Igbo Can Learn From Yoruba - Reno Omokri by bastardmod: 7:13am On Jul 01, 2019
OgboAto:

Looooooooooool.

grin loooooooool these people are bleeping illiterates, then suddenly the educated guy is dumbfounded grin grin grin Yeye de smell

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hegemony: What Igbo Can Learn From Yoruba - Reno Omokri by MetaPhysical: 7:51am On Jul 01, 2019
bastardmod:

Ncnc and npc coalition, instead of join the AG and be Prime Minister, he joined the north and they got the pm...

Where are you, at Onitsha bridge head? angry angry

You are constituting nuisance when you say Azikiwe made Balewa PM.
Re: Hegemony: What Igbo Can Learn From Yoruba - Reno Omokri by imam07: 8:45am On Jul 01, 2019
bastardmod:
Reno, what you call pride is an assertive spirit that goes with the confidence of competence.

You might be right if you say igbos are not perfect (who is perfect anyways?), but that's not what I hear you saying. I just hear another igbophobe in the making.

Listen, before Babangida and obasanjo made concessions to the north/south, azikiwe ceded the Prime Ministership to the north, despite having the majority of seats in parliament.

So because our culture doesn't involve prostration, then we're not humble? Nonsense. We can't obey our grandfather to shave off our beard? You're just a big idiot.

You see, time sorts all things out. Thank God you know we're the most intelligent, just give it time, we will reach our destination. But for now let all we told you about the zoo continue to happen,
Stop the lies u said Zik ceded prime Ministership to the Noth? He did not. All d 3 major political parties did not have majority figures to be declared a govt and with this Zik betrayed Awolowo and form alliance with the Fulanis.

'' How true?
ANOTHER SIDE OF OUR HISTORY. Their youths need to know !!!. Most especially igbos brothers in South West Nigeria.Let us go down memory lane Someone said "Fulani is Yoruba's number one enemy and that the British handed over Nigeria to them."
*This is not the truth.*
The British did not hand over Nigeria to the Fulani.
Parliamentary elections were held in Nigeria on 12 December 1959. The result was a hung parliament with no clear majority to form a government.
Zik's National Council of Nigeria and Cameroons (NCNC), came first with 2,594,577 votes to get 81 seats.
Awolowo's Action Group (AG), came second with 1,992,364 votes to get 73 seats.
However, the Ahmadu Bello's Northern People's Congress (NPC), came a distant third with 1,922,179 votes to get 134 of the 312 seats in the House of Representatives despite getting less public votes.
The above three major political parties in the election did not get enough number of the seats to form a government. An alliance had to be formed to determine who would rule.
It was a no brainer that Zik's NCNC and Awolowo's Action Group should make a coalition government as they came first and second respectively.
Awolowo, then humbled himself and volunteered to be a Deputy Prime Minister or Finance Minister in a coalition government with Zik as the Prime Minister. This was because the Zik's NCNC party had more public votes and seats than the Awolowo's Action Group.
Zik invited Awolowo’s team to Asaba, the gateway between the Yoruba's Western Region and the Igbo's Eastern Region to hold coalition talks. The talks were a clever ruse to keep Action Group’s hopes high, so that Action Group would be kept distracted from meeting with other minor parties for talks, including: Northern Elements Progressive Union with 8 seats; Mobolaje Grand Alliance with 6 seats; Igala Union with 4 seats; Independents Candidates with 4 seats; Igbira Tribal Union with 4 seats and the Niger Delta Congress with 1 seat.
Whilst the Action Group team was waiting in Asaba for a meeting with the NCNC, they read in the news that Zik and the NCNC had gone up North and clinched the deal with Ahmadu Bello on forming a coalition government with the NPC.
Tafawa Balewa, a Fulani, would be the Prime Minister of Nigeria while Zik would be the figure head Governor-General. Even Nkrumah of Ghana was shocked. He asked Zik why having spent so much energy fighting for colonial emancipation and then settling for a toothless bulldog role when Nigeria needed him the most.
Zik wrote in his autobiography why he did not form a coalition government with Awolowo.
In 1947, with over £13,500 raised from the Yoruba people and given to the NCNC, Zik had led other six prominent NCNC delegates to London to protest the “obnoxious laws” of Governor Arthur Richards. The trip ended in failure with backbiting, abuses and accusation of theft against Zik. Zik’s opponents at the NCNC, accused him of squandering the money and the trust of Nigerians.
Zik replied insinuating that the Yoruba on the team, that are: Mrs. Fumilayo Ransome-Kuti, Prince Adeleke Adedoyin, and Dr. A. B. Olorunnimbe, were the problem.
There erupted a heated and prolonged press war between Zik’s Political Reminiscence in his West African Pilot and H.O. Davies’ Political Panorama in the Daily Service. This led to Igbo in Lagos rushing to buy machetes in large numbers thinking a tribal war was imminent.
The Governor and his General Secretary, Hugh Foot, quickly called Zik and H.O. Davies to order at the Government House.
Zik went away with the resolve that “the Yoruba must not be allowed to rule over others in Nigeria”.
And afterwards in the Daily Service published the speech of Zik in 1949 about Igbo being destined by God to conquer and rule over others. This among others, will explain why Zik rejected Awolowo's offer of a coalition government in 1959 and instead worked with the Fulani.
The Fulani had been reading Zik and the Igbo through the lens of his 1949 speech ever since.
The Fulani way of neutralising Zik when the opportunity came in 1959 was to offer him a powerless post, which surprisingly Zik and the NCNC dutifully accepted in place of being Nigeria’s first Prime Minister.
Zik had thought that the Igbo can easily manipulate the Fulani in place of the educated Yoruba. He thus manipulated Balewa to arrest Awolowo in 1962 and to have him jailed for 10 years in 1963.
Zik also manipulated Balewa to remove from the Western Region the Edo, Urhobo, Itsekiri and Western Ijaw that account for 70% of the oil wealth in Nigeria and created for them the Mid-West Region.
Zik's hatred for the Yoruba gave the Fulani the impetus to rule over others in Nigeria.
The Igbo coup plotters tried to undo Zik's mistake in 1966. And unfortunately, they killed other tribes and left theirs, which resulted in the civil war.
Britain did not really hand over Nigeria to the Fulani. Nigeria was given over to the Fulani by the Igbo.
However, to hold on to power in Nigeria, the Fulani enlisted the backing of the self-serving career politicians in England.
Not many Igbo especially the young ones know this narrative. I don’t think the Yorubas, even their elders remember this. Has the leopard changed its spots?
Yoruba Ronu!!!!
Good day . Barrister RFJ.
***Copied

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hegemony: What Igbo Can Learn From Yoruba - Reno Omokri by imam07: 8:49am On Jul 01, 2019
OgboAto:

Looooooooooool.
You are D illiterate here. Why coming here with false information.
Re: Hegemony: What Igbo Can Learn From Yoruba - Reno Omokri by Nobody: 8:56am On Jul 01, 2019
[s]
Uyomeyouyo:
The day pigiyistanars humble themselves and submit to Yorubas is the day their lives will start getting better... cool
[/s] Just shut the fvck up angry angry.
The North is using divide and rule for us here in the south
Re: Hegemony: What Igbo Can Learn From Yoruba - Reno Omokri by imam07: 8:59am On Jul 01, 2019
OgboAto:

Looooooooooool.
these are D lies your forefathers told you before they died. Pls tell us more.
Re: Hegemony: What Igbo Can Learn From Yoruba - Reno Omokri by mpianya39(m): 9:05am On Jul 01, 2019
I will not delve into the more contentious questions, but for the sake of improving the relationship between the Igbo and their Yoruba neighbors, let me touch on one or two areas where, if the truth is brought to the fore, the relationship between omo Oduduwa and Ndi’Igbo could be improved.

We ain't neighbors for Christ sake

Why all this attach by force
Re: Hegemony: What Igbo Can Learn From Yoruba - Reno Omokri by bastardmod: 9:07am On Jul 01, 2019
MetaPhysical:

Where are you, at Onitsha bridge head? angry angry

You are constituting nuisance when you say Azikiwe made Balewa PM.

If zik had formed coalition with AG would balewa have been prime minister? You are you at the brown roof slums of gbongan?

For the sake of one Nigeria and north south cooperation, zik opted to form a pan Nigeria coalition rather than a southern one. Whatever his other faults he deserves credit for this. Reno should Stop claiming obasanjo and Babangida did it first.... No sir. Zik did it first.

Get educated before trying to school others
Re: Hegemony: What Igbo Can Learn From Yoruba - Reno Omokri by MetaPhysical: 9:13am On Jul 01, 2019
angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Hegemony: What Igbo Can Learn From Yoruba - Reno Omokri by Okoroawusa: 9:37am On Jul 01, 2019
Chanchit:
You might call him crazy, but he's 100% spot on.
I don't like Reno Omokri.We don't see eye to eye on most national issues.But as an Igbo n a well educated one as that, there is not one thing that Reno has written about the Igbos up there that I disagree with. Maybe it's because am Igbo born n brought up outside the South East n South South regions,historian,philosopher. Sometimes I tell myself maybe that is why am different. I see the bigger picture.

The Igbos have a long way to go religiously, culturally n politically.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hegemony: What Igbo Can Learn From Yoruba - Reno Omokri by MetaPhysical: 9:44am On Jul 01, 2019
Okoroawusa:

I don't like Reno Omokri.We don't see eye to eye on most national issues.But as an Igbo n a well educated one as that, there is not one thing that Reno has written about the Igbos up there that I disagree with. Maybe it's because am Igbo born n brought up outside the South East n South South regions,historian,philosopher. Sometimes I tell myself maybe that is why am different. I see the bigger picture.

It will happen for them. Nigeria is holding everyone back and im sure on their own with no pressure of fitting in they can develop a culture and custom, as well philosophy that works well for them. Their constant agitation and pressure contributes to our perception of them as running against the grain.
Re: Hegemony: What Igbo Can Learn From Yoruba - Reno Omokri by Okoroawusa: 9:49am On Jul 01, 2019
MetaPhysical:

It will happen for them. Nigeria is holding everyone back and im sure on their own with no pressure of fitting in they can develop a culture and custom, as well philosophy that works well for them. Their constant agitation and pressure contributes to our perception of them as running against the grain.
I can see that u didn't get my point

Uche bu akpa Onye obuna nya nke'ya
Re: Hegemony: What Igbo Can Learn From Yoruba - Reno Omokri by Ejanla07: 10:14pm On Jul 01, 2019
Unity begging..

Purest form of unity begging

Yoruba Muslims are afraid of fulani Muslims..

This should be a friendly match..

Slave vs master

Why do the yorubas need d Igbos now...

The great freedom fighters

Re: Hegemony: What Igbo Can Learn From Yoruba - Reno Omokri by Ejanla07: 10:21pm On Jul 01, 2019
Okoroawusa:

Dumbest post ever. Have you ever heard of diversity?
Why will an Igbo man wan to be like yoruba. Re u ok?.
An igbo grandfather is wise enough to know when to start treating a man like a man..
I doubt an Igbo grandfather will call his 43 year old grandson to shavee his white beard.

This is low if its actually from Reno. But he is still one of my favourite persons..
I hope the yorubas while they listen to thr grandfathers at 43 they hear to stop owo da at oshodi.. And d daughter's should stop giving birth to potential owoda boys in dia dirty shanty..
Lzaa globemoney

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hegemony: What Igbo Can Learn From Yoruba - Reno Omokri by Tyche(m): 11:19pm On Jul 01, 2019
Reno made a lot of valid points, I wish most of us typing hysterically could just pause for a moment and reason the post objectively.

1 Like

Re: Hegemony: What Igbo Can Learn From Yoruba - Reno Omokri by DeHitMan450: 11:37pm On Jul 01, 2019
Nobody from the South West should take Reno Omokri serious,he is trying to placate the Yorubas on behalf of the people from a particular section of the country who are in need of our supports because their 2023 presidential ambitious.
Wow!all of a suden,Reno now see us as brave people and can even enumerate some of the instances when these trait were exibited,wonders shall never end,Reno all people!

2 Likes

Re: Hegemony: What Igbo Can Learn From Yoruba - Reno Omokri by briggson07(m): 2:39pm On Jul 03, 2019
MetaPhysical:
This humility is ingrained into Yoruba and Northern youths from infancy. In the North, youths squat to greet their fathers and their male elders. In the Southwest, children are taught to prostrate for their elders as a form of greeting. Banky W, is an international star but when he met Dele Momodu, he prostrated before him. Long before him, Sir Shina Peters did that to King Sunny Ade. I doubt that an Igbo man can even muster enough humility to prostrate before his own father how much more an elder! He would consider that as foolishness.

And there is nothing unGodly about this. It is not idolatrous. Many Igbos like to claim Jewish ancestry. Maybe they are right maybe they are not. But Abraham is the father of the Jewish nation. In Genesis 18:2 the Bible records that “Abraham looked up and saw three men standing nearby. When he saw them, he hurried from the entrance of his tent to meet them and bowed low to the ground.”

Look at that “bowed low to the ground”. Abraham prostrated!

That act of humility does not take anything from you. But it gives everything to you. You see, a man’s greatest pleasure and need is not money or sex. It is to feel important. It is to be respected.

Both religion and science support this position. In Genesis 1:28 God gave man a charge and said “Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion”.

It is God Himself that put the desire in man to want to dominate, to want to be respected.

According to Sigmund Freud, man is dominated by two urges, the sex urge and the urge to be important. This goes back to Genesis 1:28 ‘be fruitful’ and ‘have dominion’.

Women by and large influence men through the first urge which Freud named ‘Eros’. Men influence other men through another part of the male personality that Freud called ego.

Because every man has an ego (the only difference is in size) it is very difficult, if not impossible to influence another man without massaging his ego. Refusal to do so can only end in two ways:

Conflict: which arises when two egos collide and one refuses to bow to the other, or Frustration: which arises when one person refuses to work on the ego of a man who has power over him.
And let me say that no one can have power over you except he was given that power by God which is why Romans 13:1 says “there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.

Reno Omokri is a Christian TV talk show host and founder of the Mind of Christ Christian Center and the Helen and Bemigho Sanctuary for orphans. He is the author of three books, Shunpiking: No Shortcuts to God, Why Jesus Wept and Apples of Gold: A Book of Godly Wisdom. His upcoming fourth book, Facts Versus Fiction: The True Story of the Jonathan Years: Chibok, 2015 and Other Conspiracies, is set for release in June.

Just the first two lines I read on your post....
rprostraiting as u said is ur culture as a Yoruba man...
what is ur elementary definition of culture
know the meaning and it will do us alot good...

Igbos don't play with Kola nut signifying hospitality,love and care please dont forget it's all impeded in the culture
everywhere people talk and teach their kids some values according to their locality.
Yoruba on the other side have not let this values to be transfered to their offspring living the child's respect or manner to just the parent but a communal statue.

Igbos do too but not as the Yorubas I'm not saying they don't respect they do.
The igbo people for me believe in the social role of every individual,
so it's different everywhere I'm from kalabari we don't say it's a must that you must bow or prostraite to the king or elder
respect is still maintained if u have met with a kalabari man before no matter how stubborn u still find how respectful in the Way he greets an older one ,the way they interact.
like my mom would say instead of saying ur elder is lying its better u say please it's not true even when u no wht u meant...
U can drag that attention u always need to be heard

Even wen you say it's not true please respect their ego

For me this tribalism u people always bring up would not help us in any way
if u do tribe tribe shebi u go go
another tribe come in and ur affairs,ur children's welfare gets suspended till God knows when u could be fortunate again...
Re: Hegemony: What Igbo Can Learn From Yoruba - Reno Omokri by Nobody: 10:13am On Jul 05, 2019
Uyomeyouyo:

Abeg, help me ask them o. Is there any tribe called pigiyistanar in Nigeria

Let me see whether the mods will fall for it. But I wont be surprised if they do. I have been wrongly/unfairly banned severally... grin

Uyomeyo, why have u been sharing Seun's posts?

You no get work ni?
Re: Hegemony: What Igbo Can Learn From Yoruba - Reno Omokri by Ikengawo: 1:14pm On Aug 06, 2019
lol

(1) (2) (Reply)

2023: Peter Obi, Ekweremadu And Abaribe Concludes Plans To Defect To NNPP / I Won’t Resign - Etteh / The Most Embrassing/funny Questions Someone Ever Asked You About Nigeria/africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.