Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,773 members, 7,806,131 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:55 AM

Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers (8623 Views)

Buhari Meets And Speaks With Journalists At His Daura Home, Katsina (photos) / APC Members They Speaks With Bitterness,venom And Angers. President Jonathan / Gej Nailed Finally- Okah Spills The Bin! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by Nobody: 4:16pm On Oct 08, 2010
In a telephone interview from a South African number, a man claiming to be Henry Okah has said that government's efforts to cast doubt on the Aljazeera interview is what partly prompted his call to NEXT. In order to authenticate his identity, the man asked for, by name, some of the NEXT reporters Mr Okah has spoken with in the past.

When asked how it is possible for him to make phone calls from jail, he replied: "this is a civilised country. I can make calls anytime I want and to. I am aware of efforts by the federal government to de bunk my phone conversation with Al-Jazeera as a hoax and to dispel this, I am going to talk to the BBC and CNN tomorrow."

The phone call to NEXT, which lasted for five minutes, followed a telephone interview with the wife of former leader of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger-Delta (MEND), Henry Okah, (Azuka). During that chat, she promised to get in touch with her husband and set up an interview. A few minutes later, our phone rang, and the caller introduced himself as Mr. Okah.

He reaffirmed the accusation made in the Al-Jazeera interview that an official of the presidency did ask to him to exonerate MEND on the Abuja bombings and blame northerners, but refused to divulge the identity of the official. He did however say he saved a text message from the official. He read the purported text message out: "Please reach-out to MEND and ask them to re-tract the statement and the government will blame the Northern elements."

NEXT asked if his phones were not seized by the South African authorities, and he responded that "I have saved the message on another phone. Shortly after I got the text message, Dopkesi (IBB's campaign manager) was arrested. I will not release the message now because if I do, the next thing they will say is that someone/IBB has paid him to do this. As they continue to sour my name the more, I will release the message."

When asked if he had a hand in the bombings in Abuja, he replied in the negative.

For detailed interview, news and analysis on Abuja bombing, MEND and the Niger Delta get a copy of NEXT on Sunday.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5628394-146/man_claiming_to_be_okah_speaks.csp
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by Nobody: 4:22pm On Oct 08, 2010
I believe he could have spoken with Al Jazeera but he must have lied when he claimed that a close associate of GEJ contacted him.

I wonder why the SA authorities have not come out publicly to admit or deny his claim
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by Nobody: 4:22pm On Oct 08, 2010
I believe he could have spoken with Al Jazeera but he must have lied when he claimed that a close associate of GEJ contacted him.

I wonder why the SA authorities have not come out publicly to admit or deny his claim
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by Kobojunkie: 4:35pm On Oct 08, 2010
Oh please . . he must have lied? How do you know this? How can South African Authorities do anything?

They are operating on claims made by Nigerian Government against this man. If you need proof of the call, you would need to ask Okah himself or the Aide that supposedly called him. All in All, Okah is likely the only one to give you this information and you are better off making these demands of him or his lawyers.
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by Nobody: 4:45pm On Oct 08, 2010
Jonathan has murdered Sleep, why is he still in the office?
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by Nobody: 4:46pm On Oct 08, 2010
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by Nobody: 4:49pm On Oct 08, 2010
ferari90:

Okah is the one heating the polity with his cell phone from SA.

GEJ's aides have asked that he name the presidential aide that spoke with him but he has refused to.

I also wonder why GEJ will tell Okah to claim northerners are behind the attacks. Its absurd
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by naso2(m): 4:53pm On Oct 08, 2010
Formally it was a phone call, now it is a text message. Okah will soon dribble himself and score an own goal.
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by Kobojunkie: 4:54pm On Oct 08, 2010
na_so:

Formally it was a phone call, now it is a text message. Okah will soon dribble himself and score an own goal.

Please read . . .There was a phone call AS WELL AS a text message from the official. There is no denial of a phone call from the said aide.

dappssee:

Okah is the one heating the polity with his cell phone from SA.

GEJ's aides have asked that he name the presidential aide that spoke with him but he has refused to.

I also wonder why GEJ will tell Okah to claim northerners are behind the attacks. Its absurd

Are you certain of the portion in bold? Okah is being held somewhere, how did this message get to him in South Africa? By Email? Phone call? What media? Please inform us so we are updated on this . .
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by Nobody: 5:10pm On Oct 08, 2010
Our President is rolling with the wrong crew. I'm beginning to suspect GEJ is as stupid as he looks, his foot is permanently in his mouth!

Any number of men within the Jonathan 'inner caucus' could have contacted this guy, because the President still rolls with the same Bayelsa crew up until now. Alams, Godsday Orubebe, etc are still quite close to the president, and the entire militancy thing actually festered in Bayelsa during the Alams era, I remember the Aams once went to an offshore rig to physically negotiate with armed insurgents who had held the rig hostage, back then when he was still Governor of Bayelsa. Alams is the Godfather of militants in Nigeria.

Also GEJ's authoritative claim almost immediately after the bombings suggest he was in quite close communication with the 'retired' commanders of MEND, heck, he actually hosts them on a peer-to-peer basis and press conferences are held after such meetings, he didn't see his close association with those brigands as anything to be ashamed of, because he has probably known them from way back when he was Alams' Deputy Governor. He might even be a card carrying member of MEND for all we know  grin
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by Nobody: 5:29pm On Oct 08, 2010
Our President is rolling with the wrong crew. I'm beginning to suspect GEJ is as silly as he looks, his foot is permanently in his mouth!

Any number of men within the Jonathan 'inner caucus' could have contacted this guy, because the President still rolls with the same Bayelsa crew up until now. Alams, Godsday Orubebe, etc are still quite close to the president, and the entire militancy thing actually festered in Bayelsa during the Alams era, I remember the Aams once went to an offshore rig to physically negotiate with armed insurgents who had held the rig hostage, back then when he was still Governor of Bayelsa. Alams is the Godfather of militants in Nigeria.

Also GEJ's authoritative claim almost immediately after the bombings suggest he was in quite close communication with the 'retired' commanders of MEND, heck, he actually hosts them on a peer-to-peer basis and press conferences are held after such meetings, he didn't see his close association with those brigands as anything to be ashamed of, because he has probably known them from way back when he was Alams' Deputy Governor. He might even be a card carrying member of MEND for all we know

come on man, did you actually read what you wrote down, lets say for example a presidential aide contacted Okah, is the president aware of this?, did he sanction this ?, even if some overzealous aide decides to this, should we blame the president if he is not aware or never sanctioned it, would the action of your siblings be laid on you because your of the same parents or family, lets not be myopic in our judgements here, calling Alams the Godfather of militants is pretty petty and for me baseless accusation, He went to negotiate with militants to release a rig held captive makes him a godfather of militants, for him to physically go there even was a bold move, you guys just put points without really analysing it. Here we have a man Okah who is playing this country stupid and people are justifying his actions. What's hard in naming the official who contacted you if he is man enough he should do that to exonerate himself from the gulag, whatever the president gives out to the public as a clue concerning the bombings were handed down to him from the intelligence community, and until you have a better proof than what we read from papers then you have nothing.
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by auwal87(m): 5:30pm On Oct 08, 2010
Only if you know how to play the game in Niger Area "Dark Area"

grin I think the winner will be Goodluck Ebele Jonathan!
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by auwal87(m): 5:32pm On Oct 08, 2010
babasoty:

is the president aware of this?, did he sanction this ?,,

LO, but he is indeed aware of those who bombed Abuja on 1st October, right?
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by Nobody: 5:32pm On Oct 08, 2010
Are you certain of the portion in bold? Okah is being held somewhere, how did this message get to him in South Africa? By Email? Phone call? What media? Please inform us so we are updated on this . .

Must he be goaded by JEG and his fellas before he releases the name of the aide who contacted him, he would be saving himself a lot of time in the prison if he should publicly do that, at least it would help exonerate him a little, unless he is enjoy his time in the prisons
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by blueflame1: 5:34pm On Oct 08, 2010
I guess someone is calling us all STUPID. Read a text from ur phone which the South African authorities had confiscated as part of their investigation
When asked how come, he says he saved it in another phone. As stupid and false as that sounds, No prison custody would allow you a mobile phone in custody
Or the guy thinks he is the only one that has travelled abroad
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by Nobody: 5:34pm On Oct 08, 2010
LO, but he is indeed aware of those who bombed Abuja on 1st October, right?

when he said they were terrorist based outside the country in conjunction with some disgruntled politicians was he blind
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by TewMuch: 5:35pm On Oct 08, 2010
Timeline of the series of unfortunate events:

- September 30th, 2010- Okah's home is raided by SA security Agents

- October 1, 2010- Bomb Blast Rocks Nation's Capital
-
October 2, 2010- Okah arrested and released

-October 3, 2010, Okah rearrested, detained and denied bail to be back in court October 14th

- October 4th- Dokpesi is arrested

- October 5th- Dokpesi released
EXCLUSIVE: Okah calls NEXT

>

By Ayo Okulaja and Cheta Nwanze

When asked how it is possible for him to make phone calls from jail, he replied: "this is a civilised country. I can make calls anytime I want and to.
NEXT asked if his phones were not seized by the South African authorities, and he responded that "I have saved the message on another phone. Shortly after I got the text message, Dopkesi (IBB's campaign manager) was arrested. I will not release the message now because if I do, the next thing they will say is that someone/IBB has paid him to do this. As they continue to sour my name the more, I will release the message."
This interview was done by an amateur. Fine, he may be able to call from a pay phone in prison but he will never take into prison a cell phone. That is a lie. All personal belongings are seized. That being said he said he received a text message that dokpesi was arrested? He was already in jail, how did he receive this text message. IBB needs to stop all this nonsense and do their research well before insulting us more and more. Except he has a contraband cell phone, this thing is all lies. The calls should be traced to figure out who made this prank or fake call. nonsense

EXCLUSIVE: Okah calls NEXT
He did however say he saved a text message from the official. He read the purported text message out: "Please reach-out to MEND and ask them to re-tract the statement and the government will blame the Northern elements."

I will not release the message now because if I do, the next thing they will say is that someone/IBB has paid him to do this. As they continue to sour my name the more, I will release the message."

When asked if he had a hand in the bombings in Abuja, he replied in the negative.

He read the text message out in prison. What a joke, this is ridiculous and i feel insulted. We are waiting for him to release the message, the sender and everything he knows. He is going down, he just wants to take people with him. This can be anybody that set this up. A man that has nothing to lose will spill everything he knows if what he is saying is the truth. He is in SA, what is he waiting for? ANd all this back and forth he is doing, he is building more charges for himself and is being ill advised by his lawyer and friends that will send him to an early grave.
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by 9ijaMan: 5:47pm On Oct 08, 2010
At first they said he's a drowning man. Then they spread the rumors that Okah's interview with Al-Jazeera was faked. Now he's spoken to a 9ja news media and they are coming up with excuses on why he should be discredited.
9ja we hail thee!
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by Faeb: 5:49pm On Oct 08, 2010
There is no prison in this World, where a prisoner can make a phone call. And thats even if they only stole guguru and epa, not to talk of almost blowing up a President.

Rubbish.
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by naso2(m): 5:53pm On Oct 08, 2010

The phone call to NEXT, which lasted for five minutes, followed a telephone interview with the wife  [/b]of former leader of the Movement  for the Emancipation of the Niger-Delta (MEND), Henry Okah, (Azuka). During that chat, [b]she promised to get in touch with her husband and set up an interview. A few minutes later, our phone rang, and the caller introduced himself as Mr. Okah.

grin grin grin grin

This is damn funny. Definitely, the wife has kept another "Henry Okah" at home after the real one went to prison.
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by Kobojunkie: 5:53pm On Oct 08, 2010
In most every prison in the democratic world, inmates are allowed to make phone calls. Even those detained are allowed to make phone calls.  There are so many examples that it makes absolutely no sense to attempt the false claim that they do not exist.

http://ccrjustice.org/learn-more/faqs/faqs:-prison-phone-rates

South Africa Prison Phone calls

http://books.google.co.za/books?id=zRp6KZGzUWMC&pg=PA60&lpg=PA60&dq=South+Africa+prison+phone+calls&source=bl&ots=s0wp7v_tLs&sig=ob1lVnfo6Pe2vxCXH2ekXXDlUP0&hl=en&ei=rEyvTPPiOo3BnAfH__DtBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=South%20Africa%20prison%20phone%20calls&f=false
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by TewMuch: 5:58pm On Oct 08, 2010
Faeb:

There is no prison in this World, where a prisoner can make a phone call. And thats even if they only stole guguru and epa, not to talk of almost blowing up a President.

Rubbish.

hahahhahaha. They are allowed to make phone calls through a pay phone, but i very much doubt if they have international phone call privileges. But that is not the stinker, In this statement Okah claims he has his cell phone in prison with him. rotflmao. No prison, not even kirikiri will allow such. Because of this, Okah has been henceforth rendered not credible. He is a liar, a thief, an oppressor and a terrorist. He should face firing squad. I hope his wife gets arrested as an accessory and more charges are piled on him for having a contraband in prison.
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by Nobody: 6:01pm On Oct 08, 2010
Faeb:

Rubbish.

i no fit laugh  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

naija mentality  cheesy cheesy cheesy

you think sa is like naija where they hold drivers for 3 mths for endangering life of the president?

and these people claim to be living in the west  shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

a phone call is a [size=38pt]right[/size] in western countries to any arrested person

wetin we no go hear

even convicted felons in max security prisons get phone calls, much less people in jail awaiting trial

like campaigner, like campaignee

foot surgically attached to mouth
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by Kobojunkie: 6:01pm On Oct 08, 2010
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10778809
27 July 2010

[size=13pt]Prisoners' phone calls 'not monitored properly'[/size]

Interception of Communications Commissioner Sir Paul Kennedy said equipment and resources were lacking.

He found "very serious" failings in 24 of the 88 jails in England and Wales - with another 19 only "a little better".

The Ministry of Justice said it had made several improvements since the inspections last year.

Harassment

Sir Paul said there were systematic failings in monitoring communications despite a large number of inmates posing a risk to children, members of the public, and prison staff.

In one jail alone, 476 prisoners were considered to be in need of monitoring.
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by Nobody: 6:03pm On Oct 08, 2010
YOUR RIGHTS: The Gatherings Act, Arrests and Court Processes

Holding cell You may be put in jail before you are booked. Police officers often try to confuse and exhaust you to make you talk. Contrary to the common belief, you do not have the right to immediately make a phone call or see a lawyer.

http://apf.org.za/spip.php?article151
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by Kobojunkie: 6:03pm On Oct 08, 2010
TewMuch:

hahahhahaha. They are allowed to make phone calls through a pay phone, but i very much doubt if they have international phone call privileges. But that is not the stinker, In this statement Okah claims he has his cell phone in prison with him. rotflmao. [/b]No prison, not even kirikiri will allow such. Because of this, Okah has been henceforth rendered not credible. He is a liar, a thief, an oppressor and a terrorist. He should face firing squad. I hope his wife gets arrested as an accessory and more charges are piled on him for having a contraband in prison.

Where did he make such a claim please?

OMO IBO:

[b]YOUR RIGHTS: The Gatherings Act, Arrests and Court Processes

[size=13pt] Holding cell You may be put in jail before you are booked[/size]. Police officers often try to confuse and exhaust you to make you talk. Contrary to the common belief, you do not have the right to [size=13pt]immediately [/size] make a phone call or see a lawyer.

You forgot to highlight the main portion of that ! grin
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by Nobody: 6:05pm On Oct 08, 2010
[size=24pt]Think guys think![/size]

No one goes into prison custody with a communication gadget. If that was the case, people in detention can communicate with accomplices while in jail.

Even if a prisoner or anyone detained makes a call, it will be monitored and certainly not to the press.
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by Kobojunkie: 6:06pm On Oct 08, 2010
dappssee:

No one goes into prison custody with a communication gadget. If that was the case, people in detention can communicate with accomplices while in jail.

Even if a prisoner or anyone detained makes a call, it will be monitored and certainly not to the press.

Not always the case . . . see the piece on the problem in British prisons . . . 

But it is still possible the call was monitored, only we have not been served up evidence that it NEVER did happen because all his calls were monitored. The man is said to have given another interview to NEXT. Are all these media houses now lying?
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by TewMuch: 6:06pm On Oct 08, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Where did he make such a claim please?
dappssee:

In a telephone interview from a South African number, a man claiming to be Henry Okah has said that government's efforts to cast doubt on the Aljazeera interview is what partly prompted his call to NEXT. In order to authenticate his identity, the man asked for, by name, some of the NEXT reporters Mr Okah has spoken with in the past.

When asked how it is possible for him to make phone calls from jail, he replied: "this is a civilised country. I can make calls anytime I want and to. I am aware of efforts by the federal government to de bunk my phone conversation with Al-Jazeera as a hoax and to dispel this, I am going to talk to the BBC and CNN tomorrow."

The phone call to NEXT, which lasted for five minutes, followed a telephone interview with the wife of former leader of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger-Delta (MEND), Henry Okah, (Azuka). During that chat, she promised to get in touch with her husband and set up an interview. A few minutes later, our phone rang, and the caller introduced himself as Mr. Okah.

He reaffirmed the accusation made in the Al-Jazeera interview that an official of the presidency did ask to him to exonerate MEND on the Abuja bombings and blame northerners, but refused to divulge the identity of the official. He did however say he saved a text message from the official. He read the purported text message out: "Please reach-out to MEND and ask them to re-tract the statement and the government will blame the Northern elements."

For detailed interview, news and analysis on Abuja bombing, MEND and the Niger Delta get a copy of NEXT on Sunday.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5628394-146/man_claiming_to_be_okah_speaks.csp

Okah, baba nla baba oni ro. Chei, desperado's.
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by Faeb: 6:07pm On Oct 08, 2010
dappssee:

They can't even go in with their shoes or belts, talkless of reading a text message from a mobile phone.
This thing is fast becoming magic! Maybe Okah is actually in Jankara or Okija! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by TewMuch: 6:08pm On Oct 08, 2010
OMO IBO:

YOUR RIGHTS: The Gatherings Act, Arrests and Court Processes

Holding cell You may be put in jail before you are booked. Police officers often try to confuse and exhaust you to make you talk. Contrary to the common belief, you do not have the right to immediately make a phone call or see a lawyer.

Please stop the nonsense, he was arragined in court and denied bail already. All his personal belongings would have been seized. Spare us the bullshit, this story stinks. Full of lies.
Re: Okah Speaks With Next Newspapers by Kobojunkie: 6:09pm On Oct 08, 2010
TewMuch:

Okah, baba nla baba oni ro. Chei, desperado's.

Did  you bother reading the article at all? Nowhere in there are you told he had the text message on his person in Prison. Yet you came to that conclusion How? Because he said he had the text message saved on his phone and another phone? Please read again . . . maybe this time with your goggles and brain on . . .  grin

He reaffirmed the accusation made in the Al-Jazeera interview that an official of the presidency did ask to him to exonerate MEND on the Abuja bombings and blame northerners, but refused to divulge the identity of the official. [size=13pt] He did however say he saved a text message from the official. He read the purported text message out: "Please reach-out to MEND and ask them to re-tract the statement and the government will blame the Northern elements."[/size]

[size=13pt]NEXT asked if his phones were not seized by the South African authorities, and he responded that "I have saved the message on another phone.[/size] Shortly after I got the text message, Dopkesi (IBB's campaign manager) was arrested. I will not release the message now because if I do, the next thing they will say is that someone/IBB has paid him to do this. As they continue to sour my name the more, I will release the message."

Notice the tense here? Past?? undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lagosians: Tell Us Who You Are Voting For As President / Olufunso Amosun Distributes Food To 3,000 Women / IPOB Invited To UN Finally Speaks On Their Meeting With World Leaders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.