Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,006 members, 7,806,922 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:02 AM

Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again (31419 Views)

Messi's Ligue 1 Goal Drought Continues: No Goal In Five Games / Messi Lifts The 2021 Copa America Trophy As Argentina Defeats Brazil (Video) / Diego Maradona Buried As Argentina Grieves (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Phayie(m): 10:52am On Jul 03, 2019
naijalodge:
Son:- Dad stop giving excuses
Just tell them the retirement date

Modified:
Want to dedicate this front page to my bae who’s starting her exams 2day...just wanna wish u flying colors..

And your bae no get name?

Just waiting for your answer

1 Like

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by LegalOpinion: 10:52am On Jul 03, 2019
eni4real:
The same reason why Victor Moses is better than Kanu!!!

International trophy!!!

Stop that. Kanu won Atlanta96 Olympics

1 Like

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by femmoy(m): 10:58am On Jul 03, 2019
eni4real:

International trophy!!!

no be lie
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by femmoy(m): 11:00am On Jul 03, 2019
LegalOpinion:

that's not a national team achievement.
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by fergie001: 11:03am On Jul 03, 2019
maestroferdi:
Messi is annoyingly indulgent.

Maybe he expects the rest of the world to kowtow before him for being the best player in the world without kicking a ball in anger.

Consider the implosion against Liverpool...What exactly was going on in Messi's mind with the kind of performance he gave?

Dude was lethargic and scowling at team mates needlessly when all he needed to do was score one goal to knock out the opposition...

Truth be told, Ronaldo is much more ambitious than Messi...That might prove the difference in the GOAT debate/reckoning.

Tell me your location....I want to use Jumia to send you beer...
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by seniwellsFX: 11:15am On Jul 03, 2019
eni4real:

International trophy!!!
you mumu eh.. you no know kanu na the most experienced and oldest player in Stephen keshi's 2013 afcon winning team
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by crixlight2(m): 11:24am On Jul 03, 2019
eni4real:
It is not horrible..
They didn't lose to Peru...

They lost to a better team..
stop defending them , they are simply horrible , they manage to beat only Venezuela and Qatar. Paraguay, Colombia and Brazil chicken dem...

1 Like

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Nobody: 11:29am On Jul 03, 2019
crixlight2:
stop defending them , they are simply horrible , they manage to beat only Venezuela and Qatar. Paraguay, Colombia and Brazil chicken dem...
It is not horrible. That team don't deserve the semi final...

I never have high expectations of them considering the dearth of quality in the midfield and Defence!!!

Armani has improved tho...
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Nobody: 11:30am On Jul 03, 2019
seniwellsFX:
you mumu eh.. you no know kanu na the most experienced and oldest player in Stephen keshi's 2013 afcon winning team
Kanu didn't make the team.. .
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Nobody: 11:33am On Jul 03, 2019
LegalOpinion:

Olympic and under 20 is the reason why Messi is useless to his Haters...
. "No International trophy", they say!!!

Kanu has no international trophy. He even missed a penalty against Cameroon in the final. He was useless for super Eagle. Victor Moses is better for the national team. A greater Legend!!! He would not miss that penalty... tongue tongue
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by MeeLan: 11:36am On Jul 03, 2019
eni4real:

International trophy!!!
despite the fact that KANU played in 2 worldcups and 4 nations cup without a goal.
but its never comparable to victor moses. moses won afcon, KANU won Olympic gold. ask yourself which is more prestigious?
wake up my son.
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Nobody: 11:38am On Jul 03, 2019
maestroferdi:
Messi is annoyingly indulgent.

Maybe he expects the rest of the world to kowtow before him for being the best player in the world without kicking a ball in anger.

Consider the implosion against Liverpool...What exactly was going on in Messi's mind with the kind of performance he gave?

Dude was lethargic and scowling at team mates needlessly when all he needed to do was score one goal to knock out the opposition...

Truth be told, Ronaldo is much more ambitious than Messi...That might prove the difference in the GOAT debate/reckoning.
Ronaldo is not relevant in this discussion tho.. ..

Against Liverpool Messi created 3 straight chances for Suarez.. Or you expect Messi to prevent those Origi goals You guys don't even talk about vital chances he created for Suarez in the 2nd Leg and the glorious chance he created for Dembele in the 1st Leg...

Why is Messi hated this much?? I guess it is better to be a mere goal scorer than being a creative player too??

The way Messi Hater talk about Messi, you will think he has the same quality as Morata!!!
Disrespectful critics...
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Nobody: 11:40am On Jul 03, 2019
MeeLan:
despite the fact that KANU played in 2 worldcups and 4 nations cup without a goal.
but its never comparable to victor moses. moses won afcon, KANU won Olympic gold. ask yourself which is more prestigious?
wake up my son.
Afcon is an international trophy..

Olympic or Under 20 is the reason why Haters call Messi useless and a failure...

We should not change the narrative for Kanu!!!

Victor Moses is greater than Kanu for the national team tongue
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Sanchez01: 11:46am On Jul 03, 2019
eni4real:
Ronaldo is not even a South American nor participate in the Copa America..

He is not even the best Portuguese this season, Bernaldo Silva is!!

He could not even beat Quagrilera to top scorer award in Italy...

He is not among the best 3 performer this season(Don't talk about the UNL. He only make cameo at the semi final after Portugal have gone far in the tournament)

Allison, Messi, VVD and Bernaldo Silva has a better output than him...

May be he equalized Mbappe's performance this season after the UNL victory..

Ronaldo is not relevant in this discussion..

Messi is not Argentina's best at the Copa.
He is not even their top scorer.
The only goal he scored came from a penalty spot.
He is not even close to Copa's top five most influential players.
He is not even close Copa's top five best performers.
You'd be blind to mention Messi and Ronaldo in the same breath as far as national tourney is concerned.
Ronaldo didn't participate in the Copa but became a sensation in the UNL; Messi who did blamed the pitches.

Messi is a failure as far as Argentina is concerned. grin

2 Likes

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Nobody: 11:48am On Jul 03, 2019
Sanchez01:

Messi is not Argentina's best at the Copa.
He is not even their top scorer.
The only goal he scored came from a penalty spot.
He is not even close to Copa's top five most influential players.
He is not even close Copa's top five best performers.
You'd be blind to mention Messi and Ronaldo in the same breath as far as national tourney is concerned.
Ronaldo didn't participate in the Copa but became a sensation in the UNL; Messi who did blamed the pitches.

Messi is a failure as far as Argentina is concerned. grin
Messi is the highest goal scorer and highest assist recorder in the history of Argentina football...

He is the best....

Playing deep because of the team poor quality will not deny him that!!!

Without his so called penalty goal, Argentina will not even go past the quarter final..
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Suspect33(m): 11:50am On Jul 03, 2019
Sanchez01:

grin grin grin
When Pele referred to Ronaldo as the greatest player in the world, I had my reservations because I know the beauty of his game is always blurred with Messi's comparison. I felt he would drive himself nuts and lose it but I was wrong and it seemed Pele saw the future.

Horrible performance at the Copa, a humiliating defeat in the Champions League and Barcelona fanboys are still saying he is next in line for another Ballon d'Or.
if Liverpool wins the UEFA super cup, balon d'or is settled
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Yoighaman(m): 12:16pm On Jul 03, 2019
Argentina, great team with crop of talented players but hardly ever gets good results, something is wrong somewhere.
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by maestroferdi: 12:21pm On Jul 03, 2019
eni4real:
Ronaldo is not relevant in this discussion tho.. ..

Against Liverpool Messi created 3 straight chances for Suarez.. Or you expect Messi to prevent those Origi goals You guys don't even talk about vital chances he created for Suarez in the 2nd Leg and the glorious chance he created for Dembele in the 1st Leg...

Why is Messi hated this much?? I guess it is better to be a mere goal scorer than being a creative player too??

The way Messi Hater talk about Messi, you will think he has the same quality as Morata!!!
Disrespectful critics...
What are you talking about?

The discussion here is about the GOAT and not the best assist maker.

The last time I. checked Messi was not trying to best Iniesta and Xavi as play makers so why should he be content with creating chances for someone else when he should take them.

The common feature with iconic players is their predilection for selfish play...It suffices to assert that the more the selfishness, the greater the impact.

Ronaldo appears to be mindful of winning the debate, Messi looks indifferent, at least, given his body language.

2 Likes

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Kenistry(m): 12:24pm On Jul 03, 2019
[quote author=eni4real post=79897291] Compare Didier Drogba with Yaya Toure then...
. I guess Toure is the Ivory Coast National team GOAT because he won an international trophy!!! [/quote

of course, no two ways about that!
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by mastermaestro(m): 12:37pm On Jul 03, 2019
Beverlyjean:

I seriously don't understand some people... I used to be a Messi fan , but after watching 2010 WC , that was when I started suspecting that he might b a fraud... I can't understand how some people will compare a man that has won major trophies with 3 different clubs and 2major trophies with his national team...not like his national team is Germany, Spain or France... They compare him with someone that has only won trophies in one single league... It's certain that if this guy leaves Barca, he will show his Argentina form in any other club...

A fraud? You can't be dumber! Someone with such a staggering success you call a fraud? You need to reevaluate your sanity. Very disgusting remark from a jealous foe who will never be known for anything special even within her/his tiny village.

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Angelfrost(m): 12:52pm On Jul 03, 2019
Mk12:

someone have 13 EPL medals,some have 3 so I don't know how a coach with 0 plan on becoming the greatest coach.
someone even won it with Leicester city

Well... He has already broken the trophyless jinx by winning the enviable champions league. With serious tweaking and hard work, winning the main domestic title is achievable.
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jul 03, 2019
Angelfrost:

Well... He has already broken the trophyless jinx by winning the enviable champions league. With serious tweaking and hard work, winning the main domestic title is achievable.
Which trophyless? Did benitez not win the UCL?
They are saying Liverpool have not tasted the EPL
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by olumalcolm(m): 1:17pm On Jul 03, 2019
Sanchez01:

If at 32, you think Messi would pull a Houdini in Argentina and lead the team to glory, then I'd say you just about have no idea who Messi is. At his finest, he couldn't even play to save them. The only two times he has scored and Argentina defeated Brazil were in friendly matches where Brazil featured youngsters.

Messi is way past his prime. He plays with lack of motivation these days, even in Barcelona. No one can blame him for hitting 32 and we certainly can't compare him to Ronaldo. It is unfair. Ronaldo is hungry and competitive, Messi is not. Messi would be 35 by the next WC which means he would have greatly declined if not retired already.

Ronaldo and Messi were compared at some point for not having national honours to their names but it changed in an instant for Ronaldo. At the Euro final, one would wonder why an 'old man' would cry like a child over injury, only to come out and take over as the coach.

Genius doesn't cut it in football. If you don't strive, the best hardworking player will overtake you. Such is the case of Messi and Ronaldo. History would no doubt be kind to Messi. He couldn't step up when the world focused on him the most and this he did severally.

You can imagine sports analysts saying Liverpool would not have been able to walk away with their comeback win if Ronaldo was in the Barcelona team. Messi was once brilliant and still might remain so in Barcelona but I don't see him doing wonders for Argentina at 35. I just don't.
bro abeg u deserve Heineken, the champions beer.
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Beverlyjean(f): 1:27pm On Jul 03, 2019
eni4real:
Yet he has most assist in the history of Argentina football!!!

He is playing deep now...

If he missed a penalty, he is a failure

If he score a penalty, he is a failure...

Without that Penalty Argentina will not even make the semis o (They would be 3rd in the group and play Brazil in the quarter final)

People just hate Messi for no reason just to score a cheap point for inferior players..

Now you know penalty is important...but u guys were calling Ronaldo penaldo... Even with he deep , he can't assist... But u should know they played the same 433 yesterday , to accommodate Messi yet again , so that he can score ,but he failed again

2 Likes

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by ReeLoaDead(m): 1:27pm On Jul 03, 2019
chiboy1116:
how does this change what I just said ? Messi doesn't deliver under pressure? Okay . But I saw the Brazilian team and the Argentine team . And Messi doesn't deliver under pressure? I give up bro .
When Barca wins, you will be shouting “Messi is the best”! When Messi underperforms for Argentina you will now be blaming the whole team .... oh Messi fan boys! grin

2 Likes

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Angelfrost(m): 2:03pm On Jul 03, 2019
Mk12:

Which trophyless? Did benitez not win the UCL?
They are saying Liverpool have not tasted the EPL

Have they not been trophyless since then? Is this not their first trophy in ages?... it's a great start for great things to come... Klopp has finally created the winning team. If he can hold on to his key players for the next 2-3 years, EPL will be sure. He will finally join Leicester in breaking the decade long dominance of 2 clubs.
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by chiboy1116: 2:11pm On Jul 03, 2019
ReeLoaDead:
When Barca wins, you will be shouting “Messi is the best”! When Messi underperforms for Argentina you will now be blaming the whole team .... oh Messi fan boys! grin
how did this your statement counter what I just said ? undecided.......Messi doesn't deliver under pressure? Smh
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Smartmanager(m): 2:26pm On Jul 03, 2019
eni4real:
He is the GOAT!!!

Best in the history of La liga... including Real Madrid!!!

The word GOAT (in football) was originally coined for Messi until Haters arrived...
?
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jul 03, 2019
Beverlyjean:

Now you know penalty is important...but u guys were calling Ronaldo penaldo... Even with he deep , he can't assist... But u should know they played the same 433 yesterday , to accommodate Messi yet again , so that he can score ,but he failed again
Have u ever seen me call him another apart from Ronaldo??
You can't generalize...
I don't Really see the relevance of Ronaldo in Copa America matches tho..

Irrelevant comparison...
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jul 03, 2019
Angelfrost:

Have they not been trophyless since then? Is this not their first trophy in ages?... it's a great start for great things to come... Klopp has finally created the winning team. If he can hold on to his key players for the next 2-3 years, EPL will be sure. He will finally join Leicester in breaking the decade long dominance of 2 clubs.
Liverpool won the league cup in 2012. mancity are already planning to strengthen their squad this season.
some of your key players this season maybe ordinary next season that is why you need a lot of money to stay at the top nowadays.
debruyne was key to mancity pep first EPL but last season it was Bernardo Silva that is why you need money because players are not reliable
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jul 03, 2019
[quote author=Kenistry post=79901624][/quote]Say that to Ivorians!!!
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jul 03, 2019
maestroferdi:
What are you talking about?

The discussion here is about the GOAT and not the best assist maker.

The last time I. checked Messi was not trying to best Iniesta and Xavi as play makers so why should he be content with creating chances for someone else when he should take them.

The common feature with iconic players is their predilection for selfish play...It suffices to assert that the more the selfishness, the greater the impact.

Ronaldo appears to be mindful of winning the debate, Messi looks indifferent, at least, given his body language.
Argentina has only De Paul and Peredes in the midfield.... So you expect Messi and other attackers to stay isolated without getting any service from the middle

Since the retirement of Riquelme. Messi has always been playing deep for Argentina...

He was relieved in 2016 tho because of availability of Banega and Biglia. That made him score a lot goals and bag many assists in that Copa...

If there is a reliable midfield, Messi stay up and score any goals...

If you watch every chances that Argentina had you will see that Messi was moving the ball from the middle on those instances...

Ronaldo and Messi don't compare at all... What they do on the field is 100% different.. ..

Ronaldo never had the burden of being a midfielder for the National team or elsewhere. Houston give him a VIO assist and he scores or he give you assist too and you score.

It is irrelevant to compare him with Messi who is a more polyvalent Player!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Iheanacho, Ezeh, Obasi And Baba With Nigerian U13 In 2010 (Pic) / ‘Adebayor Is Very Lazy’- Brede Hangeland, Ex Team Mate Exposes Striker / Alex Iwobi Shares Throwback Photos Of His Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.