Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:04 AM

Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again (31430 Views)

Messi's Ligue 1 Goal Drought Continues: No Goal In Five Games / Messi Lifts The 2021 Copa America Trophy As Argentina Defeats Brazil (Video) / Diego Maradona Buried As Argentina Grieves (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by ReeLoaDead(m): 3:02pm On Jul 03, 2019
chiboy1116:
how did this your statement counter what I just said ? undecided.......Messi doesn't deliver under pressure? Smh
Go and read your original statement. You are busy blaming the Argentine football federation while Messi is busy blaming the football pitch grin
I tire for you Messi fan boys & girls!

1 Like

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by maestroferdi: 4:13pm On Jul 03, 2019
eni4real:
Argentina has only De Paul and Peredes in the midfield.... So you expect Messi and other attackers to stay isolated without getting any service from the middle

Since the retirement of Riquelme. Messi has always been playing deep for Argentina...

He was relieved in 2016 tho because of availability of Banega and Biglia. That made him score a lot goals and bag many assists in that Copa...

If there is a reliable midfield, Messi stay up and score any goals...

If you watch every chances that Argentina had you will see that Messi was moving the ball from the middle on those instances...

Ronaldo and Messi don't compare at all... What they do on the field is 100% different.. ..

Ronaldo never had the burden of being a midfielder for the National team or elsewhere. Houston give him a VIO assist and he scores or he give you assist too and you score.

It is irrelevant to compare him with Messi who is a more polyvalent Player!!!
You are giving excuses...

Messi lacks ambition. Period.

Roger Federer had a head start on Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic in tennis but because the two opponents are creatures of ultra competitiveness, they have been able to reasonably level the field/close the gap.

Ronaldo can die to succeed but Messi appears to be content with just talent alone and you and me know the aphorism that talent cannot be enough...

We made excuses for Messi for allowing Roma to recover from 1-4 deficit...Messi was on the pitch when Roma scored three unreplied goals.

We made excuses for Messi when Liverpool overturned a first leg three goal deficit at Anfield... Messi was AWOL when the likes of Origi shone.

We cannot continue to exonerate Messi in an Argentine team boasting of Sergio Aguero and Di Maria.

Messi should step up...Pure and simple.

POSTSCRIPT

Excuses were made for Messi for allowing Ronaldo to rise from a 1-4 deficit on the Ballon D'Or scorecard to level matters currently at 5-5...Who allows such a travesty?

1 Like

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by chiboy1116: 4:32pm On Jul 03, 2019
ReeLoaDead:
Go and read your original statement. You are busy blaming the Argentine football federation while Messi is busy blaming the football pitch grin
I tire for you Messi fan boys & girls!
I don't get , how does that change the fact that the AFA is corrupt? How please ? They can't even hire a competent coach cos they might not be able to pay him , they embezzle most of the funds meant for stuff like that , Messi has been the one paying their staffs from 2014-2016 . How does that change what I said ? And mind you, Messi was the only player to complain about the pitch . I no be Messi fan , I am not even a Barca fan.
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Cadec007(m): 5:03pm On Jul 03, 2019
Beverlyjean:

Trash...u just posted trash....that team have really really tried for him ..... More than what Portugal have done for Ronaldo
a team where Messi single handedly outcasted Dybala and Icardi
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jul 03, 2019
maestroferdi:

Roger Federer had a head start on Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic in tennis but because the two opponents are creatures of ultra competitiveness, they have been able to reasonably level the field/close the gap.

Ronaldo can die to succeed but Messi appears to be content with just talent alone and you and me know the aphorism that talent cannot be enough...

We made excuses for Messi for allowing Roma to recover from 1-4 deficit...Messi was on the pitch when Roma scored three unreplied goals.

We made excuses for Messi when Liverpool overturned a first leg three goal deficit at Anfield... Messi was AWOL when the likes of Origi shone.

We cannot continue to exonerate Messi in an Argentine team boasting of Sergio Aguero and Di Maria.

POSTSCRIPT

Excuses were made for Messi for allowing Ronaldo to rise from a 1-4 deficit on the Ballon D'Or scorecard to level matters currently at 5-5...Who allows such a travesty?
Messi lacked ambition??

How
. Messi never hide. He lose with the team after giving his best...

One day he will win with the team...

He never lack ambition... He will never stop trying until he win something...

I hope all the bad wishes from Haters will fail one day...

So if Messi win 4 consecutive Ballon d'or, that means he will always win it since Ronaldo is an average player right??
You guys don't know that Ballon d'or is for a Madrid player until proven otherwise...

Messi changed the narrative... He won Ballon d'or despite the status power of Real Madrid...

Ronaldo won because he was good and was playing for Real Madrid too. The main reason why Modric displaced him in 2018 Ballon d'or is because he decided to join Juventus.. .

Stop disrespecting GOAT Messi because you want to score a cheap point for Ronaldo...

Haters Talk about Messi as if he is a Morata... I hope people listen to themselves when they criticize...

1 Like

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Cruzzygraphics4: 5:28pm On Jul 03, 2019
Here is the video for the match highlight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVwumhmCmdg.......
Do ensure to subscribe
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by maestroferdi: 5:44pm On Jul 03, 2019
eni4real:
Messi lacked ambition??

How

So if Messi win 4 consecutive Ballon d'or, that means he will always win it since Ronaldo is an average player right??
You guys don't know that Ballon d'or is for a Madrid player until proven otherwise...

Messi changed the narrative... He won Ballon d'or despite the status power of Real Madrid...

Ronaldo won because he was good and was playing for Real Madrid too. The main reason why Modric displaced him in 2018 Ballon d'or is because he decided to join Juventus.. .

Stop disrespecting GOAT Messi because you want to score a cheap point for Ronaldo...

Haters Talk about Messi as if he is a Morata... I hope people listen to themselves when they criticize...
You are merely whipping up unnecessary sentiments instead of being objective and facing facts.

Messi is probably better than Ronaldo but he is notorious for taking things easy at times.

Ronaldo would have rather died on that Anfield pitch than let a Ballon D'Or deciding match slip through his fingers...

He would have deployed some dark arts like diving in the penalty area to win a penalty. He and Rafael Nadal were born in competitive positions.

Messi lacks the obsession to win at all cost. Ronaldo does not give a damn whose ox is gored.

The excuses had some traction when Messi was ahead in the duopoly but right now it is no longer tenable.

The Premiership was designed and built for Alex Ferguson and Manchester United. The system favoured them by default: officiating and to some extent scheduling of matches...

Enter Jose Mourinho in his first coming at Chelsea. He decided to fight fire with fire by ensuring that technically, at least, Chelsea players were as good as those of Man U...We are know the rest panned out...

The assertion that Messi failed to sustain his momentum solely because Ronaldo was playing for Real Madrid is a ludicrous logic....Biases are old as civilisation so a winner should man up to that fact and stop standing on the shifting sands of banal excuses.

The GOAT should work miracles...It is that definitive.

1 Like

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by ReeLoaDead(m): 6:20pm On Jul 03, 2019
chiboy1116:
I don't get , how does that change the fact that the AFA is corrupt? How please ? They can't even hire a competent coach cos they might not be able to pay him , they embezzle most of the funds meant for stuff like that , Messi has been the one paying their staffs from 2014-2016 . How does that change what I said ? And mind you, Messi was the only player to complain about the pitch . I no be Messi fan , I am not even a Barca fan.
Why di you Messi fans boys/girls (yes, you are one despite your denials) always run to blame AFA?? Do you think other South American FAs are any better? Do you think when Maradona played the FA was fantastic? All you Messi fanatics just cook up excuses. Messi blamed the pitch, Mess fanatics blames the FAs. All very delusional. In order for Messi to win he must first acknowledge his shortcomings and then overcome his inability to overcome the big moments. He is a very talented player but has consistently failed to deliver for Argentina in big moments. Messi paid the security staff ... are you now going to claim that the security staff are the reason why Argentina has failed?? grin
FFS, you Messi fans girls need to slap your selves so that you wake up from your deep state of denial ! grin
Why should Messi be the only player complaining of the pitch?? He needs an escape grin

2 Likes

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Jokerman(m): 7:06pm On Jul 03, 2019
eni4real:
Messi lacked ambition??

How

Lol... So Ronaldinho, Kaka, Cannavaro, Ronaldo (Man utd) etc, were Madrid players when they won theirs??

Stop making excuses for Messi, Mr Eniola

2 Likes

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by chiboy1116: 7:24pm On Jul 03, 2019
ReeLoaDead:
Why di you Messi fans boys/girls (yes, you are one despite your denials) always run to blame AFA?? Do you think other South American FAs are any better? Do you think when Maradona played the FA was fantastic? All you Messi fanatics just cook up excuses. Messi blamed the pitch, Mess fanatics blames the FAs. All very delusional. In order for Messi to win he must first acknowledge his shortcomings and then overcome his inability to overcome the big moments. He is a very talented player but has consistently failed to deliver for Argentina in big moments. Messi paid the security staff ... are you now going to claim that the security staff are the reason why Argentina has failed?? grin
FFS, you Messi fans girls need to slap your selves so that you wake up from your deep state of denial ! grin
Why should Messi be the only player complaining of the pitch?? He needs an escape grin
trash
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by ReeLoaDead(m): 8:09pm On Jul 03, 2019
chiboy1116:
trash
Yes. Your logic is trash .... grin
Blame the pitch
Blame the referee
Blame the goal post
Blame the FA
Blame the team doctor
...... grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by naijalodge(m): 11:01pm On Jul 03, 2019
Phayie:

And your bae no get name?

Just waiting for your answer
Her name is Sharon grin grin
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Nobody: 2:41am On Jul 04, 2019
Jokerman:

Lol... So Ronaldinho, Kaka, Cannavaro, Ronaldo (Man utd) etc, were Madrid players when they won theirs??

Stop making excuses for Messi, Mr Eniola
Modric would not win the Ballon d'or if he played elsewhere!!!
E Don do tongue
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Nobody: 2:42am On Jul 04, 2019
maestroferdi:
You are merely whipping up unnecessary sentiments instead of being objective and facing facts.

Messi is probably better than Ronaldo but he is notorious for taking things easy at times.

Ronaldo would have rather died on that Anfield pitch than let a Ballon D'Or deciding match slip through his fingers...

He would have deployed some dark arts like diving in the penalty area to win a penalty. He and Rafael Nadal were born in competitive positions.

Messi lacks the obsession to win at all cost. Ronaldo does not give a damn whose ox is gored.

The excuses had some traction when Messi was ahead in the duopoly but right now it is no longer tenable.

The Premiership was designed and built for Alex Ferguson and Manchester United. The system favoured them by default: officiating and to some extent scheduling of matches...

Enter Jose Mourinho in his first coming at Chelsea. He decided to fight fire with fire by ensuring that technically, at least, Chelsea players were as good as those of Man U...We are know the rest panned out...

The assertion that Messi failed to sustain his momentum solely because Ronaldo was playing for Real Madrid is a ludicrous logic....Biases are old as civilisation so a winner should man up to that fact and stop standing on the shifting sands of banal excuses.

The GOAT should work miracles...It is that definitive.
"Mother, I don't do miracle"— Who said this??
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by maestroferdi: 7:30am On Jul 04, 2019
eni4real:
"Mother, I don't do miracle"— Who said this??
Figure of speech...
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by pelezico: 7:55am On Jul 04, 2019
maestroferdi:

POSTSCRIPT

Umm its not ambition at all - he has loads of that. You cannot score the goals he has scored over his career at Barca without ambition. Thats takes ambition. What i think we can critic him on is that though he has been consistently voted over the years as the worlds best Messi has tried to prove that he is the Greatest Ever and thats where he has failed. At Barca he's king but he has been surrounded by very very good and capable players.

The Spanish league is not as competitive as say the British league. Hes had the opportunity to home and refine his schools week in week out with teams that do not offer competitiveness like they would in the premiership. When Messi finds himself outside of his comfort zone he struggles to find that extra thing

My 2 kobo

1 Like

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Bbbwings: 9:02am On Jul 04, 2019
Beverlyjean:

I seriously don't understand some people... I used to be a Messi fan , but after watching 2010 WC , that was when I started suspecting that he might b a fraud... I can't understand how some people will compare a man that has won major trophies with 3 different clubs and 2major trophies with his national team...not like his national team is Germany, Spain or France... They compare him with someone that has only won trophies in one single league... It's certain that if this guy leaves Barca, he will show his Argentina form in any other club...
Na wa o
This one Na correct Ronaldo fangirl. grin cheesy
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Nobody: 9:23am On Jul 04, 2019
maestroferdi:
Figure of speech...
The Answer is obvious.

Key: Ajax return!
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Frankaka8(m): 10:55am On Jul 04, 2019
ReeLoaDead:
"Messi is like WiFi, he does not work well outside of Camp Nou" ... Zlatan Ibrahimovic
ur brain is full of relaxer
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Frankaka8(m): 10:59am On Jul 04, 2019
Beverlyjean:

Stop deceiving urself... Ur guy can't perform outside Barca... U guys keep on making excuses for him... He was extremely poor in this tournament...no assist, just one penalty...
In FIFA WORLDCUP 2014, he dragged dem to final and lost. Yet won the best player of the tournamnet. Eder and Guedes helped portugal win senior trophies. Yet portugal cannot get to a worlscup semis

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Frankaka8(m): 11:00am On Jul 04, 2019
Beverlyjean:

Trash...u just posted trash....that team have really really tried for him ..... More than what Portugal have done for Ronaldo
in all cr7 goals.... this two players gave him senior trophies.

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Frankaka8(m): 11:03am On Jul 04, 2019
Sanchez01:

My dear, don't compare Ronaldo to Messi on a national level. It is an unfair comparison. I'd comfortably weigh Messi with the likes of Mikel as long as he dons the Argentinian jersey. grin

Even at the club level, we know one is super dynamic while the other would always remain a Barcelona wonder. Anything beyond Barcelona is Aiyegbenic grin

The real Messi didn't leave Barcelona to play in Argentina. He never did.

Ur brains tells you because Cr7 jumps to big teams and win trophies, He is better dan Messi who chose to be with Barca. Well FOOTBALL ANALYST, COACHES, AND TOP PLAYERS THINKS BETTER AND OTHERWISE. Ur ideology is too archaic to stand. During Fifa gala night and Balon dor night, you see the result
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Frankaka8(m): 11:07am On Jul 04, 2019
Beverlyjean:

I seriously don't understand some people... I used to be a Messi fan , but after watching 2010 WC , that was when I started suspecting that he might b a fraud... I can't understand how some people will compare a man that has won major trophies with 3 different clubs and 2major trophies with his national team...not like his national team is Germany, Spain or France... They compare him with someone that has only won trophies in one single league... It's certain that if this guy leaves Barca, he will show his Argentina form in any other club...
what MESSI DID IN FIFA WORLDCUP 2014.... CR7 WILL NEVER DO IT. AS FOR SENIOR TROPHIES, ALL TANKS TO EDER AND GUEDES WHO HELPED PORTUGAL

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Frankaka8(m): 11:17am On Jul 04, 2019
Sanchez01:

If at 32, you think Messi would pull a Houdini in Argentina and lead the team to glory, then I'd say you just about have no idea who Messi is. At his finest, he couldn't even play to save them. The only two times he has scored and Argentina defeated Brazil were in friendly matches where Brazil featured youngsters.

Messi is way past his prime. He plays with lack of motivation these days, even in Barcelona. No one can blame him for hitting 32 and we certainly can't compare him to Ronaldo. It is unfair. Ronaldo is hungry and competitive, Messi is not. Messi would be 35 by the next WC which means he would have greatly declined if not retired already.

Ronaldo and Messi were compared at some point for not having national honours to their names but it changed in an instant for Ronaldo. At the Euro final, one would wonder why an 'old man' would cry like a child over injury, only to come out and take over as the coach.

Genius doesn't cut it in football. If you don't strive, the best hardworking player will overtake you. Such is the case of Messi and Ronaldo. History would no doubt be kind to Messi. He couldn't step up when the world focused on him the most and this he did severally.

You can imagine sports analysts saying Liverpool would not have been able to walk away with their comeback win if Ronaldo was in the Barcelona team. Messi was once brilliant and still might remain so in Barcelona but I don't see him doing wonders for Argentina at 35. I just don't.
MESSI HAS 2 MINOR NATIONAL TEAM TROPHIES, CR7 HAS 2 MAJOR NATIONAL TEAM TROPHIES. THE MAIN DIFFERNECE IS GUEDES AND EDER STEPPED UP AND HELPED PORTUGAL WHEN CR7 WAS DOWN. WHILE NON HELPED ARGIES WHEN MESSI IS DOWN. NEVER THE LESS, IN FOOTBALL HISTORY. THERE IS NO PLAYER LIKE MESSI

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Frankaka8(m): 11:19am On Jul 04, 2019
Sanchez01:

grin grin grin
When Pele referred to Ronaldo as the greatest player in the world, I had my reservations because I know the beauty of his game is always blurred with Messi's comparison. I felt he would drive himself nuts and lose it but I was wrong and it seemed Pele saw the future.

Horrible performance at the Copa, a humiliating defeat in the Champions League and Barcelona fanboys are still saying he is next in line for another Ballon d'Or.
lets see ur proof?? But first see dis....

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Frankaka8(m): 11:23am On Jul 04, 2019
myddmodnabastard:
you nailed it prof
Messi heat map of a midfielder all thru the season. Yet he has won his 6th golden boot. Guedes and Eder gave portugal trophes, none could give argentina trophy. Its nust hardluck

1 Like

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Frankaka8(m): 11:26am On Jul 04, 2019
Guadiol104:
grin grin grin
Guedes gave him that friendly trophy
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Frankaka8(m): 11:27am On Jul 04, 2019
GenFunction:
NO SENIOR TITLE WITH ARGENTINA....SMH
Hard luck.
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Frankaka8(m): 11:29am On Jul 04, 2019
Fuckthamods:
This news just dey sweet my belle... Messi shouldn't be compared with cr7 at all. CR7 is the greatest ever cheesy
SORRY SIR, NIGERIANS DONT KNOW FOOTBALL. HENCE UR VIEW HOLD NO WATER. SENIOR TEAM TROPHY ONLY IS NOW THE YARDSTICK FOR GOAT.... THATS BRAINLESS
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Frankaka8(m): 11:31am On Jul 04, 2019
Benekruku:

Undisputed

Conquered across different terrains!

Messi is a wifi like someone said. It only works Nou Camp
Hahahahahaha conquer kor, condom ni.... why JUVENTUS with 6 straight serie A?? Why not udinese or palermo? Hahhahahah brainless assertions
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Benekruku(m): 11:44am On Jul 04, 2019
Frankaka8:
Hahahahahaha conquer kor, condom ni.... why JUVENTUS with 6 straight serie A?? Why not udinese or palermo? Hahhahahah brainless assertions

Give it to the CR7!

He clicks anywhere. Even in National colours

Messi is a Nou camp WiFi.
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Frankaka8(m): 11:58am On Jul 04, 2019
Benekruku:

Give it to the CR7!

He clicks anywhere. Even in National colours

Messi is a Nou camp WiFi.
THE HIGHEST FOOTBALL TOURNAMENT IS FIFA WORLDCUP. LET HIM CLICK TO A SEMI FINAL... OR PROBABLY NEAR A FINAL

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Samuel Chukwueze, Villarreal Players Celebrate Europa League Final Qualification / Obafemi Martins And His Sons Pictured Together / Europa League Group Stage Draw Released (see full fixtures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.