Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,907 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:00 AM

Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas (6166 Views)

Why Many Youth Are Not Into Commercial Farming / Join My A-z Importation Business Training. Remember Xmas Sales Is By The Corner. / Land For Commercial Farming For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jul 14, 2019
ksolomania:

Thank you sir,my farm is located in Erin-Ijesha in oriade local goverment and am ready to increase the number of tree,if there is a buyer

I dont know where that place is, but if you can move your product to Lagos and you don't still mind open market (you will still make profit if you can really market all your harvests), I can give you places you should go carry out market research. Send me email if intetested. I was actually expecting you to mention the state and city you are in.
Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by Nobody: 5:30am On Jul 15, 2019
Importance of Market Research

There are many Agricultural products which will yield more profits if sold locally. It is not about exportation all the time. In fact, food is not cheap in Nigeria anymore. Therefore, carry out local market research before thinking of exporting. Market research should be done prior to setting up your farm business, and not some days before harvest.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by Adeoye007(m): 8:54am On Jul 15, 2019
You can venture into snail farming and use the pawpaw to feed your snail. Pawpaw fruit and pawpaw leaf is one of the best feed for snail.

2 Likes

Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by Nobody: 10:34am On Jul 15, 2019
Adeoye007:
You can venture into snail farming and use the pawpaw to feed your snail. Pawpaw fruit and pawpaw leaf is one of the best feed for snail.
The beauty of Agricultural businesses. One gives birth to another. Also, problems are opportunities in disguise.

3 Likes

Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jul 15, 2019
Tomato
For the fact that Dangote started tomato production; then, you should know it is something to look into. Tomato is a special vegetable with huge income if you can play by the rules.

Dangote and Tomato Paste
Big boys like Mr. Aliko can go into paste and ketchup pruduction. Yeah! There is huge profit in it, but that's not the end of the game.

Large land area with government supports favor dry season production in the north
I don't blame government for supporting the north more in farming since they are the only region really doing well in it. They have everything there in their favor. Therefore, they cultivate tomato when the weather favors it which is dry season. If you are in another region and you try to compete with them during this period, you will definitely be the casualty.

Enter the game when the soldiers are on holiday
The north stops supplying tomato to other regions as soon as rain starts since rain and tomato farming are enemies. You will not regret ever doing this. It is one of the best decision you can ever make.

Tomato Rainy Season Cultivation is No Joke
It is hard and technical. Also, it is expensive to produce. Attend a training course before embarking on cultivating tomato. Practise very well, and get ready before sowing tomato seeds.

1 acre Tomato Sales
You need to confirm the information in this section from other sources if it is correct or not, but I am confident you will see that it's 100% accurate.

During rainy season, tomato price fluctuates between N8,000 to N17,000 for a basket which weighs 35kg in open markets in Lagos (almost same in other places). Please, go to the major market places where tomato is sold in large quantities (markets where retailers buy tomatoes) and ask the present price. Return here and call me a liar if my figure above does not tally. Note that today is July 15.

Here is the trick: You can lose everything on your farm and sell nothing if you are not good in it. The plan is to sow tomato seeds which can yield around 30 - 40 tons per acre, and the goal is that you must be able to achieve around 15 tons per acre. And you need good strategies to achieve this. If you can achieve this, it means you will have about 428 baskets of tomatoes which give you minimum of 3.4 million naira sales. Lol. It is not an easy job.

This is no joke as this is one of my areas of specialty. my I don't even advise you to cover 1 acre. I train new comers everytime to farm 1 to max 4 plots for a start. From my experience, it depends on the interest of the person. And of the new comer can spend around N500,000 to N1.5million to really set up very well, the sky is the limit. Tomato production during rainy season is not a joke. It can be cultivated anywhere in Nigeria. All the farmer needs to do is amend his soil to suit tomato production. If you doubt that tomato can grow at your backyard no matter where you live, hit me, and I will guide you on how to do it. You will be shocked that you can produce fresh tomatoes. But really, you can actually make more millions if you play by the rules. I really mean it. It is true.

Grow tomato for the fun
Go to the nearest shoprite close to your house and look for big beef tomato which is sold at over N1,000 per kg. That type is expensive and usually used for sandwiches. Of course you can grow it at home and have lovely sandwiches. You can also grow sweet cherry tomatoes and eat them raw. they are delicious. In addition, there are types that actually taste like chocolate, pineapple , and other flavors. You need to find the right seed. That's all.

Cautions
1. Don't ever try o produce it if you do not have time for your farm.
2. Don't ever go into tomato production without learning it very well
3. Don't ever launch into this business if you are not sure you are capable.

4 Likes

Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jul 16, 2019
Animal Husbandry

I have been thinking how to write about animals, and I have decided to put everything together. This is a tough area in Agriculture. If you do not have the time to supervise the farm yourself, let it slide. It is not worth the effort.

Poultry
Do you know you can grow a kind of chicken from few grams body weight to 2kg or more in 6 - 8 weeks? These kind of breeds are sold to eateries and fast food joints. You may want to consider the egg sales aspect of the business too. This is also very profitable. The main threat to poultry business is theft. Workers steal eggs. Deliberate vandalism and man made mortality is another threat. Workers intentionally strangulate birds on regularbasis to feast on them, or sell them to enrich themselves. I know the case of a farm where CCTV revealed the truth, and the workers were immediately arrested. I don't think anyone in diaspora should get involved with this business.

Piggery
Forget about sales of pork in the north. That's the first rule of the game. In my opinion, you need to get involved with Artificial Insemination if you want to produce good pork.

Grasscutter
To me, this is very lucrative too. Sales is encouraging, but the main challenge is theft too. It is better for a small scale farmer at this point of our economy.

In general, animal husbandry is not as profitable as crops. This is the pure simple truth, but this branch of Agriculture can generate reasonable income. For example, I advice anyone looking into fish production to be extremely careful as many farmers are presently complaining bitterly about losses incurred due to high cost of production. The cost of feeding animals in Nigeria is on the high side.

1 Like

Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jul 16, 2019
ksolomania:
there are some variety in the south that look robust and yellowish red and taste very sweet and it cooperate with rain but not heavy one in june/july,the difficult thing is you have to nurse it in january by irrigating
What are you referring to?
Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by KingOpe: 6:43pm On Jul 16, 2019
This is solid information. I am into agriculture as well and can confirm you know your facts. Thanks alot Pistotitia. Im learning so much. Please we need more ooo ���

1 Like

Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jul 16, 2019
ksolomania:
there are some variety in the south that look robust and yellowish red and taste very sweet and it cooperate with rain but not heavy one in june/july,the difficult thing is you have to nurse it in january by irrigating

Check my thread on tips, ideas, concepts, questions/answers, debates, argument on cucumber and tomato production. Click HERE

I know the right cultivars to use for every situation, but possible after carrying out soil pathogen test. I used to train and pilot via whatsapp both aspiring and practising farmers on new tomato production methodologies, but presently I don't .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jul 16, 2019
KingOpe:
This is solid information. I am into agriculture as well and can confirm you know your facts. Thanks alot Pistotitia. Im learning so much. Please we need more ooo ���
You are welcome. Which area of Agriculture are you into?
Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by KingOpe: 9:41am On Jul 17, 2019
Pistotita:

You are welcome. Which area of Agriculture are you into?

Currently into organic crop farming (Moringa) with a view to process into powder and oil.

1 Like

Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by Nobody: 10:40am On Jul 17, 2019
Greenhouses Farming
My most favorite small to large scales Agricultural investment is greenhouse farming, but many do not know about it.

Nigerians in Diaspora should get more into greenhouse farming
It is easier to monitor progress from far away if one is into greenhouse production. Workers will not easily cheat the owner. I think it is almost impossible for workers to out smart owners. This is one of the aspect of farming I know which is very reliable.

One plot yields like 15 plots
Greenhouse installation increases vegetables yield exponentially because vertical production is possible. Vertical production can be in form of staking plant vertically to increase plant population, or using growing bags, or using hydroponic vertical systems.

Good Bye to soil diseases
There are technologies, systems, and techniques one can deploy to eradicate soil pathogens in greenhouse farming. Though, open field has got its own methods too, but greenhouse makes it even more efficient.

You can build your own Greenhouses
From my experience, consulting agro firms installing greenhouses might not be the way out. I have personally seen many abandoned structures imported by these firms. Farmers who patronized them in the past complained bitterly how inefficient they are. It is in the potential owners' interest to make thorough research, or get help from someone who understands it very well before jumping into it.

Prons
1. Weekly harvest is the biggest advantage of growing inside greenhouses. Weekly harvest is weekly income.
2. 6 to 8 months weekly harvest, while open field is just 1 month.
3. Consistent production is possible which sets owners as a potential malls, restautants, hotels, and grocery stores suppliers.
4. Suppliers in 3 above sell at around 5 times the price open market suppliers sell.
5. Greenhouse owners work less, but earn more

Cons
1. High initial set up cost due to weakened naira conversion to dollars.
2. One must just get someone who knows about it well to pilot one; else, it can be disastrous. It may come with additional cost.

Market Research First
It is advisable that potential owners should first make thorough market research. In fact, I render this free service to anyone who has shown me that the financial aspect is already covered. If you are able to finance a project of around N5 million greenhouse production, you can contact me for marketing tips before you get started. You will see it clearly it is possible to recover your investment under 1 year, and make profit. With your eyes, you will see the market which you will create easily by yourself with my help. So, the fear of not recovering your capital is removed.

Millions of naira from just 1 plot
Like I have written above, if you invest N5 million in it, you will recover it in 12 months, and make N5million - N10million sales annually with cost of production = Less than 10% of sales. It is even possible to reduce it to around 3%. This is the beauty of greenhouse production.

Caution
Despite saying greenhouse can be monitored from far away, I think it still depends on efficiency of the workers. Owners must be able to find ways of training workers very well so they don't mess up adopted systems. Also, that I have written it is almost impossible to out-smart owners does not mean owners should be careless. Careless owners always pay for their negligences.

4 Likes

Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by FMCASH(m): 11:40am On Jul 17, 2019
Livestock business only tie down your money. Broiler is not lucrative unless you're doing it for festival. If you're doing it for processing, its just for turn over, you hardly make more than 15% profit in two month.

Cost of building and equipment sucks. Maintainance too.

The only aspect of livestock farming that as higher turnover is breeding (fingerlings production, day old production, pure breed pigs)

Expected ROI

Broiler for processing: 10-15%
Layer: #5/layers/day if your egg production is 68% upward

Catfish melunch production: 18%+ 3month
Catfish table size: 30%+ 5month

Hatching catfish can send you back to village but when you master it and the world is at your back you make nothing less than 70% profit in 10weeks with hardwork

Pig: #3500+ per pig 6 to 9month depend on management.

For festive period you can make up more than 70% from Turkey, broiler and cockerel. Think about morality too.

Pig its the one with low risk, because it does not die any how, followed by fishes if well managed and you don't by runt.

Poultry is the toughest but can gives you cash flow for life time.

Assume you have 5000 laying bird and you do have 2 to 5 morality per day for 365 days making 1 year. Calculate such loss.

Pistotita:
Animal Husbandry

I have been thinking how to write about animals, and I have decided to put everything together. This is a tough area in Agriculture. If you do not have the time to supervise the farm yourself, let it slide. It is not worth the effort.

Poultry
Do you know you can grow a kind of chicken from few grams body weight to 2kg or more in 6 - 8 weeks? These kind of breeds are sold to eateries and fast food joints. You may want to consider the egg sales aspect of the business too. This is also very profitable. The main threat to poultry business is theft. Workers steal eggs. Deliberate vandalism and man made mortality is another threat. Workers intentionally strangulate birds on regularbasis to feast on them, or sell them to enrich themselves. I know the case of a farm where CCTV revealed the truth, and the workers were immediately arrested. I don't think anyone in diaspora should get involved with this business.

Piggery
Forget about sales of pork in the north. That's the first rule of the game. In my opinion, you need to get involved with Artificial Insemination if you want to produce good pork.

Grasscutter
To me, this is very lucrative too. Sales is encouraging, but the main challenge is theft too. It is better for a small scale farmer at this point of our economy.

In general, animal husbandry is not as profitable as crops. This is the pure simple truth, but this branch of Agriculture can generate reasonable income. For example, I advice anyone looking into fish production to be extremely careful as many farmers are presently complaining bitterly about losses incurred due to high cost of production. The cost of feeding animals in Nigeria is on the high side.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jul 17, 2019
Broilers if you process and sell in kg with a frozen store to end users will give margins as high as even 100% under 8 weeks.
The key is to process and don't sell in the open to market women. But this also depends on the farmers capacity to run a farm and also run a frozen shop.

7 Likes

Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jul 17, 2019
EMMAACHILE:
Broilers if you process and sell in kg with a frozen store to end users will give margins as high as even 100% under 8 weeks.
The key is to process and don't sell in the open to market women. But this also depends on the farmers capacity to run a farm and also run a frozen shop.

Power is a big factor to boost economy. Until the day Nigeria is able to provide 24/7 power supply for minimum of 80% of the nation, we will not be at our maximum efficiency. And we must not deceive ourselves, Nigeria is not getting it right with the approaches we are using.

Every wise investor avoids heavily powered businesses. Only people with insider connection to Aso Rock can do as they like.

More Agricultural ideas coming.
Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by FMCASH(m): 12:22pm On Jul 17, 2019
EMMAACHILE:
have you consider cost of setting up.

How much does a frozen full chicken goes for?

#1600?

What's cost of rearing a bird to table size?

Day old: 250#
Feeding: 600# @4kg per bird
Other cost including depreciation in housing: #150
Total: #1000
What's about mortality

What about cost of processing and Branding your frozen food. #100 assumption

Grand total #1100 to produce a frozen chickens

Assumption!!!!

Note: most buyer buys on credit

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by chigomiced: 2:42pm On Jul 17, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

Add pork to that and you are good to go
Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by excanny: 3:27pm On Jul 17, 2019
chigomiced:

Add pork to that and you are good to go

Do people eat pork that much in Nigeria? Considering the negative backlash pork generates.
Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by chigomiced: 3:32pm On Jul 17, 2019
excanny:

Do people eat pork that much in Nigeria? Considering the negative backlash pork generates.

What negative backlash does it generate?
Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by chigomiced: 3:49pm On Jul 17, 2019
FMCASH:

#1600?

What's about mortality

Assumption!!!!

Oga carry you assumptions dey go

Dem no teach you fixed cost and variable cost for school
Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by lahify(m): 4:41pm On Jul 17, 2019
FMCASH:
Livestock business only tie down your money. Broiler is not lucrative unless you're doing it for festival. If you're doing it for processing, its just for turn over, you hardly make more than 15% profit in two month.

Cost of building and equipment sucks. Maintainance too.

The only aspect of livestock farming that as higher turnover is breeding (fingerlings production, day old production, pure breed pigs)

Expected ROI

Broiler for processing: 10-15%
Layer: #5/layers/day if your egg production is 68% upward

Catfish melunch production: 18%+ 3month
Catfish table size: 30%+ 5month

Hatching catfish can send you back to village but when you master it and the world is at your back you make nothing less than 70% profit in 10weeks with hardwork

Pig: #3500+ per pig 6 to 9month depend on management.

For festive period you can make up more than 70% from Turkey, broiler and cockerel. Think about morality too.

Pig its the one with low risk, because it does not die any how, followed by fishes if well managed and you don't by runt.

Poultry is the toughest but can gives you cash flow for life time.

Assume you have 5000 laying bird and you do have 2 to 5 morality per day for 365 days making 1 year. Calculate such loss.

your analysis is SPOT ON, but if you do poultry well you will always smile after 6 to 8 weeks, broiler has higher roi than layers from my own pov, let me explain, if you spend 1k on a bird to get 2.8 to 3kg in 6 to 8 weeks, let's say you sell at 520 or 550 per kg let's say 520*2.8=1456.
let's say you make 456# on each bird . let's limit mortality to 10% you would still get reasonable profit, FYI processors buy At #525 mostly but if you sell to frozen food stores or cold rooms and you Target a liveweight of 2.8kg after evisceration you should have 1.9 to 2kg left and selling at 800 per kg you should make 1600 per bird .In poultry Business all would fall in place for you if you avoid mortality and your management is top notch. if you can get good breed from the hatcheries and not the runts marketers sells (this one na big Tory, I know how these demons sell runts as premium broilers) you would really love broilers biz. emmachile and jjbest have one of the best threads about broilers on Nairaland

1 Like

Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by excanny: 4:46pm On Jul 17, 2019
chigomiced:

What negative backlash does it generate?
Religious and health.
Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by chigomiced: 6:19pm On Jul 17, 2019
excanny:

Religious and health.

Oga

Pig dey ur toothpaste ooOOooOooOo

If u no know

Is Nigeria more religious and healthy than China?
Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by excanny: 9:41pm On Jul 17, 2019
chigomiced:

Oga
Pig dey ur toothpaste ooOOooOooOo
If u no know

Is Nigeria more religious and healthy than China?
Toothpaste? How?
Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jul 17, 2019
FMCASH:

#1600?

What's about mortality

Assumption!!!!

This is my conversation with a Facebook friend who does 1000 broilers every two weeks in ph.

I simply use 7 weeks to get my 2.5kg using 150 bags of feed for a thousand birds .
150 bags of feed 525,000
Doc 300,000
Drugs 10,000
Total 835,000
Salary etc makes it a million
If I sell one bird for 1800 and to some end users 2500 my profit per unit will be around 800k and I manage it knowing another set will be sold in 14 days . I have never been lucky to get 2kg in even 40 days but I’m willing to learn.
https://www.nairaland.com/640716/starting-poultry-farm-blog/272#75372802

In my area, frozen chicken sells for as high as N1500-1600 per kg at retail level

2 Likes

Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by FMCASH(m): 12:11am On Jul 18, 2019
chigomiced:

Oga carry you assumptions dey go

Dem no teach you fixed cost and variable cost for school
so rude, no problem if you can teach me. Do you have a farm?
Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by FMCASH(m): 12:13am On Jul 18, 2019
If broiler is 100% all farmers could have been doing it. Moreover you can't compare east and south south market with south west
Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by chigomiced: 1:17am On Jul 18, 2019
excanny:

Toothpaste? How?

Most toothpastes use glycerin, which is a sweet, odorless, clear liquid at room temperature and sourced from animal fat (pig and cow) and/or vegetable oil (corn or soybean). If your toothpaste states "vegetable glycerin", it is most likely from GMO corn and/or soy. Glycerin is most commonly used in toothpastes and soaps and it is added to toothpaste to keep it from drying out.

How many Muslims know This?

1 Like

Re: Investors Corner: Commercial Farming Ideas by chigomiced: 1:22am On Jul 18, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

This is my conversation with a Facebook friend who does 1000 broilers every two weeks in ph.

I simply use 7 weeks to get my 2.5kg using 150 bags of feed for a thousand birds .
150 bags of feed 525,000
Doc 300,000
Drugs 10,000
Total 835,000
Salary etc makes it a million
If I sell one bird for 1800 and to some end users 2500 my profit per unit will be around 800k and I manage it knowing another set will be sold in 14 days . I have never been lucky to get 2kg in even 40 days but I’m willing to learn.
https://www.nairaland.com/640716/starting-poultry-farm-blog/272#75372802

In my area, frozen chicken sells for as high as N1500-1600 per kg at retail level

Oga Emma

Abeg no mind those lazy youths trying to dispute ur claims

To me ooOOooOooOo
Any Agricultural venture that can yeileds 50% in 2 months gets a pass mark from me

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How are you finding using Internet in Nigeria - Share Your Experiences / Nigerians Paid More For Petrol, Kerosene, Gas In October – NBS / 9 Nigerian Billionaires Whose Wives Are Way Younger Than Them (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.