Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,318 members, 7,808,069 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:38 AM

How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? (36575 Views)

Your Experience As A Rich Or Only Rich Relative.. / I Saw A Dead Family Friend Two Years Later / What's The Biggest Gift Your Abroad Relative Has Ever Given To You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by xynerise: 4:43pm On Jul 03, 2019
Please guy, before I start chasing shadows trying to recover the money in my late brother's bank account, I would like to know the steps to take. Until his death, he lived in the northern part of Nigeria where the bank is also located.

1. Do I have to travel to his bank location to make necessary procedures or I can do that elsewhere where the bank has a branch?

2. What are the procedures?

Thank you for your assistance

7 Likes

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jul 03, 2019
If your parents are alive, it's better to pursue the case on their behalf as that's more legitimate and sure.

If he is married, the wife or children.

Any branch of the bank can do. If they can't handle it, they will tell you were to go to.
There is a department that handles such. They will tell you what to do. Each bank may have diff procedure. It usually take time

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jul 03, 2019
Leave the money for his wife and children (if any) Its not yours!

144 Likes 9 Shares

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by xynerise: 5:00pm On Jul 03, 2019
BlacSmit:
Leave the money for his wife and children (if any) Its not yours!
Dude, I am doing this for the wife's sake. Don't be a douche

278 Likes 11 Shares

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by xynerise: 5:02pm On Jul 03, 2019
sassysure:

If your parents are alive, it's better to pursue the case on their behalf as that's more legitimate and sure.

If he is married, the wife or children.

Any branch of the bank can do. If they can't handle it, they will tell you were to go to.
There is a department that handles such. They will tell you what to do. Each bank may have diff procedure. It usually take time

The wife was saying she doesn't have access to his assets neither the pin to his credit card. She is a bit naive in things like this so I want to get involved too.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by sparog(m): 5:20pm On Jul 03, 2019
I don't know oo
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Lornlamby: 5:20pm On Jul 03, 2019
Hmmm

1 Like

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by rawpadgin(m): 5:20pm On Jul 03, 2019
I thought u want to steal from the dead embarassed

Take the wife along with u to any branch of the said bank, make sure she go with a proof of their marriage

30 Likes

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by NwaJozi: 5:20pm On Jul 03, 2019
Hmm oga

1 Like

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by JerryLegend(m): 5:21pm On Jul 03, 2019
Bankers and lawyers in the house should get in

1 Like

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by starbuck(f): 5:21pm On Jul 03, 2019
NEVER should you let the bank know that your brother is dead else the money go follow your brother too to the spirit world...

If he has an ATM, try as much as you can to find out the pin and make your withdrawals...

Thank God my mom told me hers on her death bed because she too sabi bankers.. Ndị ohi and ndị uchu

133 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by JessetariahMD(m): 5:21pm On Jul 03, 2019
Hmmm
Difficult
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Yakade(m): 5:22pm On Jul 03, 2019
Who is his next of kin?

21 Likes

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Neddyogu(m): 5:22pm On Jul 03, 2019
Are you his listed next of kin?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by akp202(m): 5:22pm On Jul 03, 2019
Hmm
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by nlanded: 5:22pm On Jul 03, 2019
First go to a probate registry in any high court, request for a letter of inquiry to mandate the bank to give the deceased account balance. This can be given to one or more family members of the deceased on presentation of relevant documents.

After getting the account balance, the probate registry would issue you a letter of administration.

You bring that letter to the bank and proceed to open an estate account linked to the deceased, you or any other family member would be signatories of the account. All you need to open such an account is 5k for a probate registry search.

The funds from the deceased account would be transferred to the estate account and you/family can do whatever you want with the funds.

The bank where I work you can get all the funds within 2 weeks at most.

PS: Funny how people are talking about next of kin and all, it doesnt matter here when it comes to this, the bank doesnt give a damn who you wrote on your account details as your next of kin, all they respect is the letter of administration brought from a probate registry by any family member. Next of kin on paper is just for formalities.

324 Likes 50 Shares

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Memberclub(m): 5:23pm On Jul 03, 2019
Next of kin

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by wonlasewonimi: 5:23pm On Jul 03, 2019
You have to use ayilala

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Beremx(f): 5:23pm On Jul 03, 2019
If you are not the next of kin then you can't do anything. The only thing you can do is to find out who the next of kin is then he or she should follow up.

Some men sha!! Why won't your wife know your pin? At least she would have been making withdrawals till money finish for account

Smh

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by MobilityExpress: 5:24pm On Jul 03, 2019
xynerise:
Please guy, before I start chasing shadows trying to recover the money in my late brother's bank account, I would like to know the steps to take. Until his death, he lived in the northern part of Nigeria where the bank is also located.

1. Do I have to travel to his bank location to make necessary procedures or I can do that elsewhere where the bank has a branch?

Proof as next of kin, and some court afiidavit papers.
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by BlueAir: 5:24pm On Jul 03, 2019
xynerise:

Dude, I am doing this for the wife's sake. Don't be a douche
hes a douche already

I didn't bother to claim any property of my late mom anyway. The relatives shared it before i arrived Nigeria grin

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by GMbuharii: 5:24pm On Jul 03, 2019
xynerise:

The wife was saying she doesn't have access to his assets neither the pin to his credit card. She is a bit naive in things like this so I want to get involved too.

Okay you want to get involved too. grin

Hope you will be also be involved in school fees later o,till they finish school otherwise beware of"SLAP" o

grin

8 Likes

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by mickey05: 5:24pm On Jul 03, 2019
You will need to obtain a Letter of Administration from the Probate Registry of the High Court of the State.

You will need a Lawyer to guide you.

Call 08033710590, I'll hook you up with someone whose fees are quite affordable.

6 Likes

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by TOPCRUISE(m): 5:24pm On Jul 03, 2019
This is serious and difficult. Deserves to be in front page. I think only his or her next of kin can do that

1 Like

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by PapaAdanna: 5:24pm On Jul 03, 2019
First know if you are the next of kin, if not get the next of kin close and embark on the move
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by sonibota: 5:24pm On Jul 03, 2019
The procedure is cumbersome if he didnt leave a Will. You will need an LOA (Letter of Administration) and this is not a kettle of fish. You will need to talk to a lawyer who will initiate the process.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Tsmile25: 5:25pm On Jul 03, 2019
xynerise:

You can only get that through letter of administration.
For processing contact: 08030737761
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by onyxo76(m): 5:25pm On Jul 03, 2019
You will need a lawyer to help you apply for a letter of administration from the court to take to the bank, the funds will now be moved into an estate account which can now be accessed by a would be signatory but its a process that can take a while, you will also pay 10 percent of the total amount in the accounts to the state treasury before the letter of administration is released to you

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by vincent10(m): 5:25pm On Jul 03, 2019
Get an LA(Letter of Administration), take it to the bank and open an estate account

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Missing Housewife Found In A Hotel As A Prostitute / These Photos Of A Young Mother And Her Child Has Got People Talking / Sisters Weep At The Grave Of Their Brother Who Was Buried On His Birthday. PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.