Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,156 members, 7,807,521 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:38 PM

How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? (36568 Views)

Your Experience As A Rich Or Only Rich Relative.. / I Saw A Dead Family Friend Two Years Later / What's The Biggest Gift Your Abroad Relative Has Ever Given To You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by xynerise: 5:49pm On Jul 03, 2019
nlanded:
First go to a probate registry in any high court, request for a letter of inquiry to mandate the bank to give the deceased account balance. This can be given to one or more family members of the deceased on presentation of relevant documents.

After getting the account balance, the probate registry would issue you a letter of administration.

You bring that letter to the bank and proceed to open an estate account linked to the deceased, you or any other family member would be signatories of the account. All you need to open such an account is 5k for a probate registry search.

The funds from the deceased account would be transferred to the estate account and you/family can do whatever you want with the funds.

The bank where I work you can get all the funds within 2 weeks at most.

PS: Funny how people are talking about next of kin and all, it doesnt matter here when it comes to this, the bank doesnt give a damn who you wrote on your account details as your next of kin, all they respect is the letter of administration brought from a probate registry by any family member. Next of kin on paper is just for formalities.

Thanks...noted
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by clive2u(m): 5:50pm On Jul 03, 2019
BlacSmit:
Leave the money for his wife and children (if any) Its not yours!
you have a foul mouth. U have already concluded that op is taking the money, i think wat nigerians knw wat to do best is judge at 1st instinct
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by AngelicBeing: 5:50pm On Jul 03, 2019
sassysure:

That's naija for you o.
It works like magic cheesy

I use that a lot grin
l understand cheesy
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by pat077: 5:50pm On Jul 03, 2019
HisSmileHeal:
angryDear Nairalander,Please Help
What you are Reading Now didn't Occur to me but
to my co NYSC Roomie...
His NYSC account was Hack and Debited by an
unknown fraudster, he went to Bank to complain
and another ATM card was issued to him plus his
account was Block so that there won't be any
further Withdrawal.. After a month or two,he went
back there for he needs money,so they change his
Alert number to a new one,he collected 2k out of
45k and within an hour all his Balance gone again
remaining kobo...
He went to bank immediately after the Alert...To cut
the long Issue short,
Bank said they are unable to Trace the person
because the fraudster opened an Express account
without identity....
He has gone to the Police and Court base on this
and all Efforts has been Fruitless..
Please help a Suffering Copa....He is Anambra
2018 Batch B stream 2 and will be passing out
soon
he should excalate the issue on twitter tagging the bank

1 Like

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by yesloaded: 5:52pm On Jul 03, 2019
nlanded:
First go to a probate registry in any high court, request for a letter of inquiry to mandate the bank to give the deceased account balance. This can be given to one or more family members of the deceased on presentation of relevant documents.

After getting the account balance, the probate registry would issue you a letter of administration.

You bring that letter to the bank and proceed to open an estate account linked to the deceased, you or any other family member would be signatories of the account. All you need to open such an account is 5k for a probate registry search.

The funds from the deceased account would be transferred to the estate account and you/family can do whatever you want with the funds.

PS: Funny how people are talking about next of kin and all, it doesnt matter here when it comes to this, the bank doesnt give a damn who you wrote on your account details as your next of kin, all they respect is the letter of administration brought from a probate registry by any family member. Next of kin on paper is just for formalities.
Better still go to state Ministry of Justice to get letter of administration & full guidance on how to go about it

1 Like

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by sismatic01: 5:52pm On Jul 03, 2019
The original death certificate is the most important document you will need to kick start the process. If it's in your possession take it to the probate office of a state a high court to get a letter of administration (LOA). After the court grants your application, the court will write all the banks the deceased had accounts to confirm the current balances in those accounts. Then the bank will be instructed to pay the available balance to the beneficiary.

You will also need to open an estate account for the fund to paid into and all beneficiaries in the LoA will be a signatory to this account. The letter of administration can also include other properties of the deceased e.g shares, properties etc appointing you or/and the wife as the beneficiary of these assets.

I will advise that you process the letter in the name of the wife and the children as it will be easier if they are legally married and there's evidence (marriage cert.) to back it up.

It might take some time though but you will eventually get it. Good luck!

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jul 03, 2019
mickey05:
You will need to obtain a Letter of Administration from the Probate Registry of the High Court of the State.

You will need a Lawyer to guide you.

Call 08033710590, I'll hook you up with someone whose fees are quite affordable.

Must you commercialize every assistance... Why can't you guide him free of charge?
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Cas1741: 5:53pm On Jul 03, 2019
I suggest you approach the bank first, if that fails, you need to obtain a certificate of Appointment of Estate Trustee with a Will, assuming there is a Will. If there is no Will, you still to go to the Court, file the necessary Probate Forms and obtain a Certificate of Appointment of Estate Trustee Without a Will. With that, you go back to the bank and you should have access to the account without further hassles.
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by idokokadiri200: 5:53pm On Jul 03, 2019
Contact a lawyer hv suffer like u... If u are serious contact this lawyer on 08132162067....thank me letter.
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by xynerise: 5:55pm On Jul 03, 2019
ChiefSweetus:
Condolences on your brother's passing, sir.

I remember your moniker from way back. God comfort the entire family. cry
Thank you, sir
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by dannypaul(m): 5:55pm On Jul 03, 2019
nlanded:

Yeah bro, also next of kin is even used for a negative cause I.e whereby d account holder commits a fraud or any crime whatsoever and he becomes incommunicado then the next of kin bears the consequences..
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by actualization: 5:55pm On Jul 03, 2019
Go to meristem registrants..... Lagos ....they ve Probate section.....or call 08023410243....for further tips
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by mfm04622: 5:56pm On Jul 03, 2019
nlanded:

The next of kin is not a formality! Just that letter of administration and will have stronger claim than just the next of kin!
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Synthase(m): 5:59pm On Jul 03, 2019
nlanded:

I want to believe that the letter of administration is only applicable of the person died intestate
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by perryy(m): 5:59pm On Jul 03, 2019
As someone who had worked in a Banks department where such a case as yours usually passed through, let me tell you what to do. Of your brother died intestate, the family would appoint an administrator who would obtain letter of administration from the the justice department of the state of last residence of your brother (find out if getting this from your state of residence is acceptable). Then the ministry of justice of that the state issuing the letter of administration would make a demand for the statement of account from the time of death till date and for the issuance of a cheque with the value of the balance in the account in the name of justice department of the state .

When this demand notice accompany with the letter of administration is presented at any branch of the bank , the branch in turns forward same to thea legal department of the bank which will do the confirmation from the justice department before asking the branch to issue a cheque. Simple. I've handled many in the bank I worked then . However, there may some changes to the rule now oooo

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by perryy(m): 6:00pm On Jul 03, 2019
Synthase:

I want to believe that the letter of administration is only applicable of the person died intestate

Yes , you are right.
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jul 03, 2019
Ayemileto:

From what I've read in newspapers before now, getting the money from Nigerian banks usually take years, because they will keep asking you to get one thing or the other. Stuffs like Death certificate, court avidaffit etc.

If the money isn't much, i will simply advise you to other stuffs online with his debit card and resell them. This is quite possible if you have access to his card and phone - to receive OTP.

Also, if you can unlock his system or phone, there is chances he would have saved his internet banking details in a browser or app, you can easily get his password and get into his internet banking account from there.

Ogbologbo!
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Onyi22(f): 6:03pm On Jul 03, 2019
grin
GMbuharii:

Okay you want to get involved too. grin

Hope you will be also be involved in school fees later o,till they finish school otherwise beware of"SLAP" o

grin
But y can't Nigerians be serious for once grin
GMbuharii:

Okay you want to get involved too. grin

Hope you will be also be involved in school fees later o,till they finish school otherwise beware of"SLAP" o

grin
But y can't Nigerians be serious for once

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Biglogo(m): 6:05pm On Jul 03, 2019
Don't Jamba Ahmana
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Psoul(m): 6:06pm On Jul 03, 2019
First of all, try to know how much that is in that account if not you will labour in vain. The money will just go to Administrative court fees and Bank commission for closing the account.

The document you need from the Administrative court must be given by the court within the jurisdiction where the account domiciles.
The process will take some money.

You also need death certificate and the consent of the Next of Kin of the dead person.
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Organs(m): 6:07pm On Jul 03, 2019
sparog:
I don't know oo

Must you comment if you dont know? Now you allowed me waste my time to reply read and your comment, don't try that nonsense with me next time else i go come your house come COZA and DAKOLO you join!
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Odekayodenr(m): 6:07pm On Jul 03, 2019
Bro I have been in your shoes before and simply follow the step I followed

1,if your brother ATM is still valid it could av been the best just carry the ATM go withdraw all the money but if the ATM Is not working then..

2.You have to get the next of kin and you will involve legal action because..you have to change the the account to Estate account inoder for you people to access the money.. But remember it will cost you some money and time.. Infact it takes about 12weeks or money it depend on the lawyer chamber you used..
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by saajus: 6:07pm On Jul 03, 2019
Next of Kin can get the money out. Talk to the bank. Also, did your brother write a Will?Finally, if you are successful to get the money out, don't collect a dime from that poor woman. You know she needs to raise the kids alone.

I don't know why some men are too secretive. You need to able to trust your partner with everything. If the wife knows his ATM pin, you guys won't need to be going through this stress.
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Aminushehu996: 6:09pm On Jul 03, 2019
If you have his ATM card and know his account number,I no a way u can get the money

1 Like

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by don4real18(m): 6:09pm On Jul 03, 2019
sonibota:
The procedure is cumbersome if he didnt leave a Will. You will need an LOA (Letter of Administration) and this is not a kettle of fish. You will need to talk to a lawyer who will initiate the process.
He doesn't need a lawyer

1 Like

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Ayotemide(f): 6:10pm On Jul 03, 2019
She doesn't know his pins? that has me worried.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Yankee101: 6:11pm On Jul 03, 2019
All banks are one stop shops (mostly , meaning you can do all types of ttansactions in any branch, in this case the customer service has to scan instructions to the appropriate branch/officers)

1. Step one, obtain his will
2. If none approach a court Probate registrar to grant the designated natural next of kin (your father if no wife and kids, or his kids/wife if he has same) a probate
3. Take probate document to bank and apply for his estate (bank account in this case)
4. When approved by bank they'll likely release the cash in cheque to probate registrar who will deduct court fees and assign the rest to the next of kin (the court usually delays or investigate a little to make sure no other righful next of kin exists or share equally among family members)
5. You might be given the option by the bank to continue running the account as an esate of the deceased run by the next of kin (take this option if you're expecting future benefits to be paid into the same account)

If your dad wants to designate you instead of himself, go together to the court, produce identifying and familial documents for you, your father and the deceased to help speed up the process.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by crackhouse(m): 6:12pm On Jul 03, 2019
xynerise:

Dude, I am doing this for the wife's sake. Don't be a douche
if I hear.
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Wiseonetemmy(m): 6:12pm On Jul 03, 2019
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][quote author=nlanded post=79910790]First go to a probate registry in any high court, request for a letter of inquiry to mandate the bank to give the deceased account balance. This can be given to one or more family members of the deceased on presentation of relevant documents.

PS: Funny how people are talking about next of kin and all, it doesnt matter here when it comes to this, the bank doesnt give a damn who you wrote on your account details as your next of kin, all they respect is the letter of administration brought from a probate registry by any family member. Next of kin on paper is just for formalities.[This is the accurate procedure, just follow this and you will get results. Or better still visit meristem plc. They are experts in probate matters ]
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by alphaNomega: 6:12pm On Jul 03, 2019
nlanded:

Well done. Thanks for your submission.
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by ojochidem(m): 6:12pm On Jul 03, 2019
nlanded:

This is scary. Why do Banks then demand next of kin?
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by crackhouse(m): 6:13pm On Jul 03, 2019
Aminushehu996:
If you have his ATM card and know his account number,I no a way u can get the money
yahoo boy spotted.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

These Photos Of A Young Mother And Her Child Has Got People Talking / Missing Housewife Found In A Hotel As A Prostitute / Sisters Weep At The Grave Of Their Brother Who Was Buried On His Birthday. PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.