Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,034 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:47 AM

What Is Your View About RUGA And Why? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Your View About RUGA And Why? (640 Views)

Where Are The South East,CAN,Reno,FFK,PDP On Bala Mohammed Statement About RUGA / So Atiku Didn't Say A Word About RUGA? / A Honest Question About RUGA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your View About RUGA And Why? by Colar234: 9:15pm On Jul 03, 2019
RUGA has been trending lately in Nigeria and lots of Nigeria are kicking against it with lots of genuine reasons while the supporters are still to let us know their reasons. Let us know yours either way
Re: What Is Your View About RUGA And Why? by MikeBetty(m): 9:52pm On Jul 03, 2019
Colar234:
RUGA has been trending lately in Nigeria and lots of Nigeria are kicking against it with lots of genuine reasons while the supporters are still to let us know their reasons. Let us know yours either way
My View Is Cattle Breeding Is A Personal Business, Therefore If They Want To Do It Down South, They Should Buy Land And Ranch Them. Not Govt Dispossessing People Their Inherited Land To Give To An Ethnic Group.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your View About RUGA And Why? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jul 03, 2019
Colar234:

wwwkaycom:

Ogun + Oyo + Osun + Ondo + Ekiti = 76320KM²

Lagos = 3345KM²

Niger alone = 76363KM²

Niger State = Entire Southwest States - Lagos

Anambra + Enugu + Abia + Imo + Ebonyi = 29525KM²

Kogi = 29833KM²

The entire southeast is a little less than Kogi State only

The north have more than enough land to take care of RUGA, let it be that way.
Re: What Is Your View About RUGA And Why? by Herdsmen: 10:53pm On Jul 03, 2019
Wetin you wan carry view do?..

So all this ruga thread wey you dey read for one week naw ..never do you..

Mumu thread..
Re: What Is Your View About RUGA And Why? by Nobody: 5:21am On Jul 04, 2019
The Fulani herdsmen killing Nigerians are illegal immigrants employed by the Nigerian Fulani to take care of their cows, the Fulanis in Nigeria are rich and don't carry cows around.

Buhari want to create settlement for Fulani jihadist herdsmen from all over West Africa in Nigeria

Re: What Is Your View About RUGA And Why? by blackpanda: 5:31am On Jul 04, 2019
People that are victims of the herdsmen farmer clash are still the ones fighting ruga. What then do u want fg to do. If am buhari I will just ignore them let them keep dying. Lubbish
Re: What Is Your View About RUGA And Why? by orisa37: 6:06am On Jul 04, 2019
Honour & Glory to Christ. Excellence & Worship to God. Success to OBJ.
Re: What Is Your View About RUGA And Why? by orisa37: 6:07am On Jul 04, 2019
Re: What Is Your View About RUGA And Why? by orisa37: 6:07am On Jul 04, 2019
Re: What Is Your View About RUGA And Why? by AgentOfAllah: 6:50am On Jul 04, 2019
Colar234:

To be honest, there was just excessive mass hysteria and opposition to the whole idea, that any attempt of the government to explain the meat of the policy was completely drowned out. In my opinion, people were more incensed by the given name of the program, "Ruga", than its actual merits because the name is a Hausa/Fulani word.

I personally have no problem with the word, or, for that matter, naming any national program with any word from any ethnic group. However, I can see how it'd have promoted the perception that the program was meant to favour only a single ethnic group. In hind sight, FG could have used a more neutral name and then put out the program to be debated on a table that included the proponents of the policy as well as representatives of both farmers and herdspeople.

I don't know enough to have formulated a robust opinion regarding the program, and I was deeply irritated by all the noise that prevented this from happening. However some of the things that trickled in from editorials seemed pretty beneficial to society. A village in which herdspeople can operate, with access to vets, schools for their kids, primary health centres, etc. And they wouldn't have to wander about and encroach on private farms. Imagine that...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Your View About RUGA And Why? by AgentOfAllah: 7:35am On Jul 04, 2019
MikeBetty:
My View Is Cattle Breeding Is A Personal Business, Therefore If They Want To Do It Down South, They Should Buy Land And Ranch Them. Not Govt Dispossessing People Their Inherited Land To Give To An Ethnic Group.
Cattle breeding doesn't have to be personal business though. In fact, the whole food industry shouldn't be personal business. It's the privatisation of food production that's the cause of rampant poverty, despite our capacity to produce enough to feed hundreds of millions of people. In the space of only 3 years, Thomas Sankara was able to achieve ~100% food productivity in Burkina Faso by taking over all means of production and carefully planning agricultural output based on the wholesome needs of the population. Farmers and herders can be encouraged by collectivising excess production and selling it in the international market, and then crediting each farmer/herder with rewards that are proportionate to the excess they produce, but first, we must meet the consumption needs of 200 million people, and this cannot be attained by a private food economy.

For all its noise about capitalism, even the USA heavily subsidises its food production; and beef production takes the lion share.

In Nigeria, I don't think there's such a thing as private lands ownership. When you think you're purchasing land, the government is merely leasing it out to you for a maximum period of 99 years. The idea of inherited land is therefore absurd.

In summary, I think the government should immediately repossess arable land, carefully plan required output that will feed the country, lease out lands to farmers in such a way that they can produce at least, three times the national requirement, control the price and ration distribution, heavily subsidise farming by supplying productivity enhancing equipment to these farmers and training farmers on best practices for free. Finally, reward any farmer that produces excess by giving them credit that is proportional to the excess they produce and sell it in the international market. Same principle should be be applied to cattle breeding and other aspects of the food production industry.
Re: What Is Your View About RUGA And Why? by Geist(m): 1:48pm On Jul 07, 2019
AgentOfAllah:

To be honest, there was just excessive mass hysteria and opposition to the whole idea, that any attempt of the government to explain the meat of the policy was completely drowned out. In my opinion, people were more incensed by the given name of the program, "Ruga", than its actual merits because the name is a Hausa/Fulani word.

I personally have no problem with the word, or, for that matter, naming any national program with any word from any ethnic group. However, I can see how it'd have promoted the perception that the program was meant to favour only a single ethnic group. In hind sight, FG could have used a more neutral name and then put out the program to be debated on a table that included the proponents of the policy as well as representatives of both farmers and herdspeople.

I don't know enough to have formulated a robust opinion regarding the program, and I was deeply irritated by all the noise that prevented this from happening. However some of the things that trickled in from editorials seemed pretty beneficial to society. A village in which herdspeople can operate, with access to vets, schools for their kids, primary health centres, etc. And they wouldn't have to wander about and encroach on private farms. Imagine that...
I don't think the word is an Hausa/Fulani word. From what I know it stands for for Rural Grazing Area I might be wrong though.
Re: What Is Your View About RUGA And Why? by AgentOfAllah: 8:24pm On Jul 07, 2019
Geist:
I don't think the word is an Hausa/Fulani word. From what I know it stands for for Rural Grazing Area I might be wrong though.

Thanks for the clarification. I am sure you're right! This only further buttresses my point that we weren't given the opportunity to understand the program. There was so much hysterical resistance with countless accompanying disinformation, that along the line, I fell prey to the lie that it is a Hausa/Fulani word.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your View About RUGA And Why? by FearGodinall: 8:51pm On Jul 07, 2019
What's really anoying is that,the same government claimed that this killer herdsmen are forigners from Mali,togo,Niger etc,so why use taxpayers money to care for forigners instead of fishing them out and dealing deceively with them, providing basic amminities that even Nigerians lack.

(1) (Reply)

More PainFor Atiku As Buhari's Nigeria Defeats Cameroon in Today's Afcon / Kogi State In Mess But Aguda To The Rescue / Bera, Sister Of Slain Channels TV Journalist Speaks On Brother's Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.