Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,400 members, 7,808,432 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:54 AM

Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million (40383 Views)

Chinese Vase Valued Below $2,000 Sells For Nearly $9 Million After Bidding War / Nigeria’s Toyin Ojih Odutola Sells Artwork For N215m / 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by prof2007: 12:31am On Jul 04, 2019
Nigerian artist, Toyin Odutola, is now the third highest paid Nigerian artist, after her drawing, ‘Compound Leaf‘ was sold for £471,000 (N215 million) at the Sotheby. According to reports, Odutola’s groundbreaking sales have surpassed sales made by artists like Njideka Akunyili-Crosby, and the legendary Ben Enwonwu.

Art as a coping mechanism: For Odutola, art serves as her coping mechanism since she moved from Nigeria to America as a child. The shock from her transition resulted in her questioning her identity. She began drawing to escape from her thoughts which further transformed into an “investigative, learning activity” for her.

Speaking with Vogue about how art helped her escape, she said, “I was obsessed. Capturing everything I saw and being fascinated with the incredibly simple task of looking at something and transmitting it onto paper. It’s immediate magic.”

Odutola creates multimedia drawings on various surfaces, investigating formulaic representations and how such images can be unreliable, systemic and socially-coded.

Exhibitions: Odutola has participated in so many exhibitions at various institutions, such as The Drawing Center, New York (2018—19); Whitney Museum of American Art, New York (2017—18); Brooklyn Museum, New York (2016). She also exhibited at the Contemporary Art Museum St. Louis (2015); Studio Museum Harlem, New York (2015, 2012); Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum, Ridgefield (2013); and Menil Collection, Houston, (2012).

Her collections: Her permanent collections include Museum of Modern Art, Whitney Museum of American Art, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Birmingham Museum of Art, Baltimore Museum of Art and New Orleans Museum of Art. Odutola’s collections have also been displayed in the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Princeton University Art Museum, Spencer Museum of Art, Honolulu Museum of Art, and the National Museum of African Art (Smithsonian).

SOURCE: https://nairametrics.com/2019/07/03/nigerian-artist-toyin-odutola-sells-artwork-for-n215m/

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by Clementz0(m): 1:31am On Jul 04, 2019
Another lady making nija proud great feat girl.

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by hardeyborwarley(m): 2:09am On Jul 04, 2019
Oya NCAN gather here....... Yoruba amaka grin grin

63 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by AlexzStructure(m): 2:24am On Jul 04, 2019
Oh, how I love this
prof2007:
Nigerian artist, Toyin Odutola, is now the third highest paid Nigerian artist, after her drawing, ‘Compound Leaf‘ was sold for £471,000 (N215 million) at the Sotheby. According to reports, Odutola’s groundbreaking sales have surpassed sales made by artists like Njideka Akunyili-Crosby, and the legendary Ben Enwonwu.

Art as a coping mechanism: For Odutola, art serves as her coping mechanism since she moved from Nigeria to America as a child. The shock from her transition resulted in her questioning her identity. She began drawing to escape from her thoughts which further transformed into an “investigative, learning activity” for her.

Speaking with Vogue about how art helped her escape, she said, “I was obsessed. Capturing everything I saw and being fascinated with the incredibly simple task of looking at something and transmitting it onto paper. It’s immediate magic.”

Odutola creates multimedia drawings on various surfaces, investigating formulaic representations and how such images can be unreliable, systemic and socially-coded.

Exhibitions: Odutola has participated in so many exhibitions at various institutions, such as The Drawing Center, New York (2018—19); Whitney Museum of American Art, New York (2017—18); Brooklyn Museum, New York (2016). She also exhibited at the Contemporary Art Museum St. Louis (2015); Studio Museum Harlem, New York (2015, 2012); Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum, Ridgefield (2013); and Menil Collection, Houston, (2012).

Her collections: Her permanent collections include Museum of Modern Art, Whitney Museum of American Art, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Birmingham Museum of Art, Baltimore Museum of Art and New Orleans Museum of Art. Odutola’s collections have also been displayed in the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Princeton University Art Museum, Spencer Museum of Art, Honolulu Museum of Art, and the National Museum of African Art (Smithsonian).

SOURCE: https://nairametrics.com/2019/07/03/nigerian-artist-toyin-odutola-sells-artwork-for-n215m/

4 Likes

Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by itspzpics(m): 6:27am On Jul 04, 2019
Wow

3 Likes

Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by Jerrick(m): 8:14am On Jul 04, 2019
Ah cry

2 Likes

Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by Lifezhead: 9:24am On Jul 04, 2019
C
Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by Uchenaija: 9:24am On Jul 04, 2019
Woah shocked

Inspired from living in compound yard in Naija.

Check my signature for Senator suit at affordable prices

1 Like

Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by TalkTalkTwins(m): 9:24am On Jul 04, 2019
wow... this one na wife material grin

5 Likes

Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by SoftP(m): 9:25am On Jul 04, 2019
D
Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by Officialgarri: 9:25am On Jul 04, 2019
Is that the painting on the wall?

32 Likes

Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by netpro(m): 9:25am On Jul 04, 2019
Consistently working hard on your dreams, improving your skills as go will always pay off at some point.

Whatever you do, work hard and keep getting better at it. Nothing will stop you from succeeding in life.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by valencia25(m): 9:25am On Jul 04, 2019
Woooowwww
Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by Muyiwaipere(m): 9:25am On Jul 04, 2019
Oga come pay your tithe for my church
Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by mysportdab: 9:25am On Jul 04, 2019
Omg
Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:25am On Jul 04, 2019
CONGRATS gurl.

ART IS LIFE!

Below , the most expensive artwork in the world and another one in the top ten!

The 2nd one funny aight?! cheesy

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by inioluwaDaniels(m): 9:25am On Jul 04, 2019
Chai see cool cash

2 Likes

Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by Bbbwings: 9:25am On Jul 04, 2019
Na wa o.
I draw as a hobby.
Maybe I should pursue it more.

Officialgarri:
Is that the painting on the wall?
Busy body Stay your lane.
Art doesn't always have to be realistic.
Also, That grass you're seeing it takes a genius to render it that way

1 Like

Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:26am On Jul 04, 2019
hardeyborwarley:
Oya NCAN gather here....... Yoruba amaka grin grin
Smh

2 Likes

Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by Kendumazy(m): 9:26am On Jul 04, 2019
Mheeen! This makes sense.
Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by aleeyus(m): 9:26am On Jul 04, 2019
I like that!
Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by majamajic(m): 9:27am On Jul 04, 2019
nice one
Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by HumanHairLovers(f): 9:27am On Jul 04, 2019
That's cool!

Naija rocks anywhere we go!

That is if she cares about us again
cheesy

For your weavon & wigs check my signature
Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by Nobody: 9:27am On Jul 04, 2019
I don't know why I can't draw... All these mental pictures are just wasting away in my head. angry

1 Like

Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by rhythyson: 9:28am On Jul 04, 2019
Yes na we

Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by NigerianMan: 9:28am On Jul 04, 2019
grin THANKS FOR MAKING US PROUD OMO IYA MI. ON BEHALF OF ALL YORUBA ON NAIRALAND, WE SAY "OSE GAN NI O" grin grin

11 Likes

Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by nephemmy(m): 9:28am On Jul 04, 2019
Come and sell it here in Nigeria, grin I'm sure u won't even see a buyer..lol

1 Like

Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by suitlovers: 9:28am On Jul 04, 2019
Such a wonderful piece. shocked shocked

Discover where to buy the best and the finest quality UK suits for men at the price of 15,000 Naira.

Feel free to check my signature below.

Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by Nobody: 9:28am On Jul 04, 2019
Hmmm I really love Art works I think Nigeria artist are great,they just lack the right marketing network.May be if they open stores in the rich capitals of the world they would surpass nollywood in revenue generated.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toyin Odutola Sells ‘Compound Leaf‘ For N215 Million by shogsman(m): 9:28am On Jul 04, 2019
I see an American.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Astonishing Drawing Of The N500 Note By A Nairalander's Younger Brother / Diary Of A Boredom-inspired Photographer / More Drawings From My Portfolio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.