Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,853 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:23 PM

Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? (12594 Views)

Major Oil Firm, MRS, Owes FCMB N6.2bn / Igbos And Hausas Who Are Richer / The Central Bank Of Nigeria - Owned And Controlled By 'the Rothschilds' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by nosa101(f): 11:12pm On May 11, 2007
why do Texans run american oil?
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by outlaws(m): 11:16pm On May 11, 2007
cool
The topic is not why do Texans run amreican[American] oil. Stay on topic.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by nosa101(f): 11:52pm On May 11, 2007
outlaws:

cool
The topic is not why do Texans run amreican[American] oil. Stay on topic.
err, dude, that's me trying to show how stupid the topic is.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by outlaws(m): 11:54pm On May 11, 2007
cool
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by ckenneths(m): 12:10am On May 12, 2007
Why are you all wasting your collective time here trying to wash out Nigeria's dirty pants !

Anyway, I dont even know which group to support, my dad is ibo, my mum is hausa and theirs this yoruba girl wey wan kill me since four years ago, wallahi the girl is something else !

But folks, continue to blow hot air, you have every right to say what you like, so fire on and I ll be the referee.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by ckenneths(m): 12:20am On May 12, 2007
Infact Seun, move this topic to politics, this is an insult to real businessmen that has no boundaries.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by hbrednic: 1:40am On May 12, 2007
if u are a nigerian shout WAZOBIA
shout again,louder and louder.
remember u too can become the CEO of a major oil company,if u work for it.
i am already preparing to become the president of nigeria,u can doubt it,but only time will tell.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by redsun(m): 2:09am On May 12, 2007
Nigeria under normal circustances  should be about 3 countries due to  the apparant diversity but now that we are together,we have to find a unifying factor that will hold us strongly together and the oil would have been because you get such enormous revenue from oil that it would have been more than enough to develop the whole country,there got to be a method,a vision for the benefit of all,accountability,it's either you are honest,or you go to jail.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by otuonye(m): 7:55am On May 12, 2007
Do we have any reason to waste time 'killing' ourselves here on this topic? I do not think the poster of this topic is reasonable enough.

First, if someone works hard enough to own a company, is it your business to know who he employs? If you need the employment, then go to school and become employable!

I understand that the Government has really under-developed the region of NIGER DELTA, but the people of that region, still have their own problems.

They do not see themselves surviving without OIL.
They see every other person around them as an OPPRESSOR and in fact, hate to see people from other tribes, especialy IGBOS.

My brothers. this is not the right attitude. I live in the Niger DELTA region and I know that if you guys look down, you might find other available resources to better your lives. JUST LOOK DOWN!

Secondly, I do not understand the reason for this blabbing: IGBOS AGAINST THE YORUBAS. For God's sake, we are still one country, no matter the language you speak. I am from Igbo and I do not look down on people from other tribes, and this should be the normal attitude of every individual here.

If you think your own tribe is better, WHAT IF YOU CAME FROM THE OTHER TRIBE? would you be saying the same thing?

Please, let's leave this topic because I think it is such a stupid one and concentrate on how to make Nigeria a better place for us all.

My candid advice
Jojo
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by Waxxy(m): 10:52am On May 12, 2007
The question should rather be " why is adconline a tribalist" ?
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by adconline(m): 11:10am On May 12, 2007
Gist @

Those guys are not fighers, they are criminals. Let's not make statement that tends to bolden the ND boys on their inglorious activities. Do you really think these guys can hold the country to ransom?I just don't. Just that the gov has been careful to avoid another Odi saga. Yes, they'll blow up some installations but you know what the Nigerian Army can do to them. All the kidnapping they have done in the past, how many foreigners have they refused to released to show their seriousness? They're not fighting for the Niger Deltan, but for their pockets. Millions are paid to these guys to secure the release of the victims. So where do the money go? you may ask

Newton’s law: For every action there is equal opposite reactions. Govt neglect has provided them with a pedestal to cause mayhem. The fact that the Army can crush them is hallucinatory because ODI saga did not stop anything. This "it will fizzle away attitude" has got to stop. It did not stop Ken  Saro Wiwa and Co. The govt must actively engage these jobless youths. Pls I listened to interview granted by one guy who runs an NGO in dellta areas. He says that pipelines are soft targets for these   jobless youths? When these folks hear the amount of Atiku and OBJ misapplied, then they will do more.

@ Otuonye,

First, if someone works hard enough to own a company, is it your business to know who he employs? If you need the employment, then go to school and become employable!

I understand that the Government has really under-developed the region of NIGER DELTA, but the people of that region, still have their own problems.

This sounds like a white South African telling a black South African how to climb up to middle class. These people's resources have been depleted. Is education free in Nigeria? NO, so their major source of income has been depleted.  What are there chances of getting employed if most of oil men are not from their area? How can you say that these oil company owners are hard working? Can you genuinely tell me their source of income before privatization? Men coming from nowhere offloading tons of dollars to buy these govt owned companies. Niger Delta has been short changed by Nigerian leaders. What has been the impact of NDDC in these people's lives?

We cannot integrate these folks without jump starting the process to their integration.  If north gets considered for educationally less developed states, even though they held power for over30 yrs, why cant we consider Niger Deltans? Why has Nigeria used money from this area to develop Abuja and Lagos? Any city in South -South that comes close to Lagos or Abuja? Bayelsa is yet to be connected to the national grid.

One Nigeria so long as the oil is not coming from my backyard or papa land.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by adconline(m): 11:14am On May 12, 2007
Waxxy,

Take me on as been a tribalist. We ve got to stop defining people from Bill Oreilly's perspective of always seeing evil ONLY from opposition. By the way do you have a contrary view on what I posted? Show me with facts that most oil companies down and upstream are controlled by Niger-Deltans
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by DisGuy: 11:23am On May 12, 2007
ckenneths:

Infact Seun, move this topic to politics, this is an insult to real businessmen that has no boundaries.

yes o!! please move this to the tribal section or politics
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by adconline(m): 11:23am On May 12, 2007
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by kuwena(m): 11:36am On May 12, 2007
You say most oil companies are controlled by Yorubas and Hausas?, who cares!, the banks are full of them too, so who cares!, cool
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by obua: 12:14pm On May 12, 2007
I am Igbo and married to a Yoruba.
I am an untribalised Nigeria. I ru a small biz and I employ people based on the content of character and competence.
Right now Igbos have actually overtaken the others in terms of education etc. Infact 12% of Jamb "takers" are from Imo state only. In Imo people say that education is the largest industry. The biggest company in Imo is Coca cola.

Igbos did not participate in the first privatisation exercise of the early 1970s because of the hangover of the civil war.
In the mainstream big oil marketing companies , you might not get so many senior managers that are Igbos.
But the upcoming ones are mainly owned by Igbos. Most of the big independent marketers are Igbos.
Also in the local oil service industry, Igbos are quite prominent.
I think that people shoould aspire to excel irrespective of their tribe.
Apart from neglect of people in the South South by the federal Govt, the main reason while the area is on fire is because opportunities( govt & private) are scarce.
Opportunities are scarce for variuos reasons that we can not finish writting out in this forum.
I see nigeria as a virgin land like Japan/Korea in the 1950s.
Anybody , no matter his tribe that is willing to succed ,and pay the price of success will succed and excel
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by docokwy(m): 12:19pm On May 12, 2007
Indeed, Bro, most of the independent marketers are Igbo. Go to Aba and PH and see for yourself. There is also Coscharis oil (Cosmas Maduka of Coscharis motors) as one of the big players.

And, who does not know that Adenuga (of GLO, CONOIL, ETB) is a front for thieves like IBB and Atiku?
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by mohadana: 3:55pm On May 12, 2007
@obua ,which Imo state?my rivers state top Imo .

WAEC: Edo tops list of average performers
From Bukola Olatunji in Abuja, 04.29.2007
Sunday, April 29, 2007

Edo State, with an abysmal average of 38.42 percent, ranked first among the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) in the West African Examinations Council (WAEC)’s Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE), conducted between 2000 and 2006.

Add To Favorites
Print This Article
Post Comment

advertisement

Rivers State came second with 33.24 per cent and Bauchi State, third with 31.04 per cent.

These represent the percent of candidates who obtained credit passes in five subjects, including English Language and Mathematics.

At the bottom of the list is Katsina State with an average of 2.25 percent, while Gombe and Kebbi States came 36th and 35th respectively, with 2.66 percent and 3.47 percent. The national average pass is 11 percent.

Bayelsa State led the pack in the National Examinations Council (NECO)’s SSCE with an average of 50.50 percent, followed by Edo with 45.39 percent and Ogun State with 40.73 percent. This time, Yobe State brought up the rear with 4.68 percent, while Gombe and Adamawa States came 36th and 35th respectively, with 5.23 and 6.03 percent.

The national average here is about 17 percent. Minister of Education, Mrs. Obiageli Ezekwesili, who presented the figures in her valedictory Press briefing in her office yesterday observed that "with the huge problem of examination malpractice, this is how woefully they (the students) are performing.

Ironically, the Ezekwesili further noted, “Edo State has the highest incidence of examination malpractice in the federation.” This, she said should challenge governments at all levels.

She regretted that, “over a period of seven years, WAEC results for the various states, except Imo show less than 30 percent success rate…Such poor academic achievement of our children is not due to their own inability, it is because our own society has failed them in providing the enabling environment for them to succeed. Every state must take a look at its own performances.”

Ogun State came first in the provision of infrastructure with an average score of 51.74 percent, followed by Lagos State with 47.30 percent and FCT with 42.33 percent. At the rear (35th, 36th and 27th positions) were Jigawa, Bayelsa and Taraba States. A general ranking of the relationship between infrastructure and academic performance also showed Ogun at the top of the list, followed by Edo and Lagos, with a score of 38.02, 37.01 and 34.90 percent, respectively.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by redsun(m): 10:20pm On May 12, 2007
It's not a question of education,it's is about common sense,education is useless,if you don't have basic life principles and guidelines.what you get in most cases as education in nigeria is brain washing,no true meaning and understanding of what the subject is all about.We have to incoperate the fundamentals into our education system for it to be meaningful.Most of those corrupt politicians and officials are suppose educated people,but still,no IQ.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by Nobody: 2:33am On May 13, 2007
can you imagine the level of our sentiments. the argument is very childish, i used to think like this too while i was in secondary school. i m from the west we believe we should on top of everything. also an average ibo man is very prejudiced both literate and illiterate, hausas are worst, they might have been the best of the lots if they are educated. lipsrsealed angry
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by nosa101(f): 3:01am On May 13, 2007
Why on earth is a person's tribe important?
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by adconline(m): 3:21am On May 13, 2007
Nosa,
To answer your question, could you tell me why PDP zoned presidency to North? Is Yar'dua the most qualified person? Why is it that we dont see tribe when it comes to oil?
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by nosa101(f): 3:24am On May 13, 2007
Why the f**k does tribe matter in anything?
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by adconline(m): 3:38am On May 13, 2007
nosa,
you have not answered my question. Why didnt PDP pick Yar'dua as a running mate to Jonathan if we are soo clueless about tribe. We always pretend that tribe does not matter. A friend of mine called DHL office to inquire on DHL office in the East, the customer service agent said " i dont know because I am not from east " Even though average "Nigerian" may be oblivous to tribe, but Nigeria is a mixture of tribes. I am saying there should be a way to integrate Niger deltans into the Nigerian upstream and downstream sectors. They cannot be left alone, unless one day they are going to bring that nation to a halt.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by nosa101(f): 3:44am On May 13, 2007
I'll be very honest, I really don't give a shit if we have a dickwad as president. I consider myself blind to ethnicity and religion and to some extent, race. I don't see why Nigerians make a big fuss about tribe. We aren't the only ones with tons of tribe but we are the only ones serious concerned about it (from my observation). I've never heard a Yank complain about the fact that their last 3 presidents (Bush-Bush) are southern. Neither have I heard Brits complain about a Cockney being in charge.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by adconline(m): 4:12am On May 13, 2007
There you go again,
Yanks may be oblivious to tribes - maybe you should know why whites live in their neighbour and blacks do their own thing. They even go to separate churches.

When it comes to politics in yankee, its ideologically driven not ethnicically driven. a GOP cannot see eye to eye with a Dem. Their issues are not based on tribes but on idelogies. Sen Clinton from Arkansas went to New York and became a senator, while some folks could not accept it that a non indigene was appointed a comissioner in Lagos. There is no way whites will fight whites because of tribe, instead they fight on ideological grounds.

We dont talk about tribes, but we have AD and APGA as tribal parties. We need to jettison these hallucinatory ideas that tribalism is a thing of the past. It is still in existence in Nigeria and we have not addressed it
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by nosa101(f): 4:45am On May 13, 2007
why should "blacks fight blacks'" then?
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by GNature(m): 4:53am On May 13, 2007
adconline:

Bayelsa is yet to be connected to the national grid

adconline, obasanjo's administration has connected Bayelsa to the National Grid. The $76 Million Owerri-Ahoada-Yenagoa transmission line was completed last year.

Related Link:-

http://www.nigeriafirst.org/printer_6643.shtml
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by chrisokw: 11:37am On May 13, 2007
Why is the road transport business dominated by the Igbo
Why is the film industry dominated by the Igbo
Why is sports, especially football dominated by Igbo
Why is uni and poly admissions dominated by the Igbo
Why is commerce dominated by the Igbo

Answer: the world is a large receptacle in which all shades of endeavours will be accomodated. Go get yours
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by Nobody: 12:30pm On May 13, 2007
xtycod
you are no different from obj himself. you were faulting someone's spelling you have not really paid enough attention to yours. it stinks or maybe you lifted the write up from somewhere and you were so much in a hurry to make a point that you did not bother to edit it. try to remove the stick from your 'own eyes' first.

roose/ruse deed/did. what a shame. try to control your emotion when you want to make impressions, it can do you a lot of harms if you dont.
your problem is grammar anyway cos there is nothing like 'roose' and deed is bad in the context
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by adconline(m): 5:14pm On May 13, 2007
Gnature. Ma bad.

Chrisokwy,
There is a big difference between Igbo’s commerce and selling of Govt owned oil companies to a tribal hegemony. Mind you those raw materials for these oil companies come a section of the country and they are not well represented in these companies.
I could care less for yoruba's dominance in financial sector, because the raw material is the risk they took in building financial institutions, but oil companies derive their products from Niger Delta. Are you telling me that if Agriculture were the mainstay of our economy, that northerners would allow a southerner to head the biggest agro-processing company in Naija or maybe Yorubas will allow a northerner to head cocoa company or Odua Group of companies. We have to be realistic; people from Niger Delta have been shortchanged.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by DisGuy: 8:39pm On May 13, 2007
adconline:

Gnature. Ma bad.

Chrisokwy,
There is a big difference between Igbo’s commerce and selling of Govt owned oil companies to a tribal hegemony. Mind you those raw materials for these oil companies come a section of the country and they are not well represented in these companies.
We have to be realistic; people from Niger Delta have been shortchanged.

You mean they are not selling it to people from the south/southeast? or People from those regions are prevented from bidding?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mistakes Most Online Shoppers In Nigeria Make And How To Avoid Them. / Get Your Profitable Small Scale Business Easily Started And Successfully Managed / Union Bank’s Rebrand Wins Two International Awards!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.