Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,330 members, 7,780,854 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:45 AM

Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? (12575 Views)

Major Oil Firm, MRS, Owes FCMB N6.2bn / Igbos And Hausas Who Are Richer / The Central Bank Of Nigeria - Owned And Controlled By 'the Rothschilds' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by Waxxy(m): 10:11pm On May 13, 2007
I have said earlier, Adconline just likes brewing tribal arguements, Stop wasting time and energy on this silly thread.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by Rebirth(m): 10:15pm On May 13, 2007
rather worrying who controls the Oil sector, i think Niger Deltans should invest time and energy in empowering themselves. take a cue from indians in the Uk, they drive the best cars, live in the best houses etc WHY because they learn to pull their resources
Don't sit on ur bum and say this tribe has this or has that - get up, get out and do something!!!
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by ckenneths(m): 11:29pm On May 13, 2007
adconline, you are just fuming and spraying at everything and anything that looks like it will prevent you from selfishly acquirig what should have belonged to every Nigerian.

You sound like a very lazy , disoriented, disillusioned, and even confused angry spoilt child, that does not even have the decency to know where to post your threads.

I would have waved aside your rantings if I saw it in the politics section, but to post it in the business side is to say the least, idiotic.

Please take your anger to those that annoyed you instead of infecting others with your myopic stupidity !

Your kind of person sound poor, frustrated and confused, and it must be because of this very attitude that kept you in this condition.

You are disturbed and depressed and urgently needs medical help before this condition gets farther than this.

TALK TO A SHRINK, FAST !
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by gists: 4:28am On May 14, 2007
@adconline
Jusr for ur info. I'm a Yoruba guy and work with an oil servicing coy in PH (I hope that will not make U sick). Guess what? I was interviewed along side some of ur kin men. The interview was conducted by a white guy and one engineer who happens to be a native of warri. But thank GOD we still have such men in the country who will put tribalism into everything they do. Looking back, I realized that everyone that was employed (Yourbas, Igbo and some brilliant ND guys) was qualified and with some years of experience. Why don't just stop this rubbish and make urself employable.

@Seun
Why is this thread still on biz section? I think it should even be in the crime section for inciting Nigerians against ourselves
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by adconline(m): 6:14am On May 14, 2007
So is it a fact or tribalism that down stream sector is mostly controlled by a feudal class. Is it is a fact or tribalism that a section of this country where this money comes has not benefited from  these abundant resources. Is it a fact that northerners are considered as educationally less advantaged region when it comes UME admissions?  You want Niger Deltans to leap frog without helping them to jump.

Maybe we are so clueless about tribe that we do not know that Niger Delta needs to be fixed. Niger Delta is a big scar in our national history, yet we stand here to condemn people who challenge this lopsidedness. If these folks founded their companies like most entrepreneurs, I won’t have any qualms with that, but they were favored by Govt to buy govt owned companies.
Indigenization policy was good because white men were forced to sell 60% stake to Nigerians, but minority investment from Niger Deltans is tribalism. Something that was not good to us because the white men were perpetuators, should now be acceptable because fellow black men are in charge. Shame on us.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by tunrexdj(m): 7:05am On May 14, 2007
Hardworks pays.Laziness stinks.Militants or criminals[adconline or whatever you call your name],its better for you to have a paradigm shift.The 21st century has no place for sentiments and gibberish talks,rather it emphasizes capability and competence.
So get yourself educated[not pseudo education] and start being innovative.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by maxxdjinx(m): 10:27am On May 14, 2007
Black cat, White cat, Red cat , or even Yellow cat!
As long as it cathces mice, it's a GOOD cat.
Bottomline: Nigerians running Nigerian companies.
EOD
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by JJay1(m): 12:17pm On May 14, 2007
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: chrisokw
Are the Yorubas any better educated currently than the Igbo? I think not. They just had the advantage that Awo's policy during the civil war provided. Others, Igbos in particular, have overtaken the Yoruba in education and are INCREASINGLY bridging the gap that Awo's

Chrisokw, if you dust your history books, you will find that the present Delta and Edo States were part of the old Western Region (old Bendel) that was under the premiership of Late Awolowo. And those people also had same access to free education just like any other person in the Western Region. Hence the reason we have proffessional millitants in some part and we have proffessional "proffessionals" in some other part. So if the Yorubas embraced that free education and the Niger deltans didnt, how can you blame the Yorubas?

Remember education is power, not the millitants' arms and ammunitions
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by redsun(m): 2:09pm On May 14, 2007
@xtycod,you must think am an english man,that is the problem,you don't get the point,it's not how well you speak or write english,it is about your IQ,how reasonable you can be,how creative,how constructive and most of all how original you can be. Language is spiritual and unfortunately as a people,we don't have our original language that we should be proud of rather people like you choose to think that speaking english is a criterial for intelligence,colonial mentality.Adopted language is like adopted religion,it takes over you and you loose  the basic.Have you ever wonder why we speak english as africans instead of our own language,until we begin to answer questions like this,we will remain in a limbo.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by seun001(m): 2:47pm On May 14, 2007
WELL,
       WHY IS EVERYBODY WRITING WITH SO MUCH VENOM?THERE SHOULD BE TOLERANCE FOR EACH OTHERS OPINIONS.WHY DONT YOU ARGUE OBJECTIVELY INSTEAD OF WHIPPING UP SENTIMENTS.ARE YOU PEOPLE TRYING TO POLARISE THIS SITE INTO OPPOSITE ENDS.ALSOO,WHY CANT YOU TAKE CRITICISM FOR YOUR WRITE-UPS.YOU DONT HAVE TO POUR ACID ON SOMEONE TO BE HEARD.PLEASE LETS TRY AND BE SENSIBLE,TRY AND TOLERATE ONE ANOTHER.

EVERYBODY HAS HIS OR HER OPINION AND WE HAVE TO RESPECT THAT FOR WHAT IT IS(PERSONAL OPINION).ALSO EVERYBODY HAS THE RIGHT TO AIR HIS/HER VIEWS.SO PLEASE ENUF VENOM.ALSO WHY ALL THIS GRAMMAR WITCHHUNTING,EVERYBODY KNOWS THERES WHAT IS CALLED TYPO ERRORS WHICH IS ALLOWED because THIS DISCUSSIONS ARE INFORMAL IN A WAY.

TO THE MAIN TOPIC THAT IS'WHY ARE YORUBAS AND HAUSAS DOMINATING THE OIL SECTOR AND OTHER SUNDRY ISSUES THAT CAME UP AS AN ASIDE.

THE NIGER DELTAS CAN EAT ME UP BUT MY OPINION IS THAT GO AND ASK YOUR LEADERS WHAT THEY HAVE USED YOUR ALLOCATIONS FOR ALL THESE YEARS.Y'LL HAVE REFUSED TO ACCEPT THE TRUTH,YOUTALK THAT YOU ARE BEEN SHORTCHANGED,MEET YOUR LEADERS,MAKE THEM ACCOUNTABLE AND AM SURE YOU WILL START SEEING A DIFFERENCE.
ARE YOU EXPECTING TO BE GIVEN MONEY WITHOUT WORKING FOR IT.I HEAR ALL THESE MILITANTS ARE STINKING RICH AND WHEN IT SEEMS AS IF THEY ARE GETTING BROKE THEY KIDNAP SOME EXPATS INRETURN FOR MONEY.AGAIN I SAY ASK YOUR LEADERS WHERE ALL THE MONIES HAVE GONE.

I THINK U PEOPLE SHOULD ALSO UNDERSTAND THAT THE YORUBA PEOPLE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN AGAINST OBASANJOS GOVERNMENT.WE HAVE NEVER BEEN IN SUPPORT OF EVERYTHING HE STANDS FOR.IN FACT WE HAVE ALWAYS BEING HIS GREATEST OPPOSITION.THERE ARE ENUF INSTANCES TO BUTTRESS THIS POINT.

IN MY OPINION THE IGBOS ARE THE MOST TRIBALISTIC IN THIS NATION,CANT RECOUNT THE AMOUNT OF EXPERIENCES I WENT THRU IN THE NYSC CAMP BUT I CAME TO THAT CONCLUSION WHEN I WENT FOR MY NYSC.DONT GET ME WRONG COS I HAVE IGBO FRIENDS AND I TELL THEM THIS WHENEVER IT CROPS UP IN OUR GISTS AND THEY MAKE A FEEBLE ATTEMPT TO CHANGE MY OPINION.

BUT THEN THE IGBO PREFER TO BUY AND SELL THAN TO WAIT FOR OIL TO BE CONVERTED INTO PMS AND THE LIKES.EVERYBODY IS TRIBALISTIC IN THIS COUNTRY WHETHER WE LIKE IT OR NOT THIS IS A FACTOR WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH.

SOMEBODY WAS SAYING WE SHOULD MASS PROTEST THE CONCLUDED ELECTIONS,WHO ARE WE GOING TO PROTEST FOR.?BUHARI OR ATIKU?YOU SHOULD UNDERSTAND THAT NO BODY IS WILLING TO PUT HIS LIFE ON THE LINE FOR THIS USELESS POLITICIANS THAT ARE ONLY LOOKING TO MAKE ENDS MEET FOR THEMSELVES AND THEIR FAMILY.
THESE POLITICIANS ONLY LOOK FOR SYMPATISERS WHEN THE GOING IS BAD AND THINGS IS NOT HAPPENING THE WAY THEY WANT.ISNT IT THE SAME TINUBU THAT STOOD BY ATIKU AGAINST OBASANJO THAT IS NOW HARASSING HIS OWN DEPUTY THAT HAS CONTRIBUTED TO HIS TENOR IN NO SMALL WAY.AND FOR WHAT,A VAGUE MISCONDUCT THAT IS HARDLY DEFINED.IF OBASANJO WASABLE TO POCKET THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY LIKE TINUBU APPARENTLY DID,WILL ATIKU STILL BE STANDING NOW.

PLEASE AM TIRED OF TYPING, THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY  THAT YOU CANT START TO TAACKLE THE PROBLEMS.CHEERS
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by chrisokw: 4:59pm On May 14, 2007
seun001:

IN MY OPINION THE IGBOS ARE THE MOST TRIBALISTIC IN THIS NATION,CANT RECOUNT THE AMOUNT OF EXPERIENCES I WENT THRU IN THE NYSC CAMP BUT I CAME TO THAT CONCLUSION WHEN I WENT FOR MY NYSC.DONT GET ME WRONG COS I HAVE IGBO FRIENDS AND I TELL THEM THIS WHENEVER IT CROPS UP IN OUR GISTS AND THEY MAKE A FEEBLE ATTEMPT TO CHANGE MY OPINION.

BUT THEN THE IGBO PREFER TO BUY AND SELL THAN TO WAIT FOR OIL TO BE CONVERTED INTO PMS AND THE LIKES.EVERYBODY IS TRIBALISTIC IN THIS COUNTRY WHETHER WE LIKE IT OR NOT THIS IS A FACTOR WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH.

[/quo

If you say the Igbo prefer to buy and sell, it means you do not know the Igbo, inspite of serving in Igboland. Aba and Nnewi are manufacturing towns, where all sorts of small and medium scale manufacturing enterprises thrive. You should know this if you served in Igboland. And talking about tribalism per tribe will be like ''beauty in the eyes of the beholder''. I worked in Ibadan for three years and my eyes saw red-hot pepper with discrimination because I am not one of their own. I had to resign on account of the unmanagable situation, where juju, easily used to gain undue advantage, was flying right left and centre
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by debosky(m): 5:16pm On May 14, 2007
this so called 'raw material' is not coming from the ND

Zenon IMPORTS ALL of its petroleum products and distributes them - the ports (largest anyways) are located in Lagos, so why would he go and base his HQ in the ND? His business started post 1999 to fill the gap opened up by the inefficient refineries in the country, I see nothing 'tribal' about that

the indigenization decree has nothing to do with national oil now conoil either - these firms were sold off after 1999 - Adenuga bought the firm after that and has transformed it into what it is today.

thirdly Igbos have a large control of petroleum businesses as well - Ibeto Petroleum is there, there are many who have recently opened depots at Apapa ports as well, this thread seems like a ploy to create more bad blood in Nigeria

Basil Omiyi - Shell MD is not yoruba/hausa is he? He is from the ND

Gaius Obaseki was NNPC MD from Edo state, till Kupolokun - from Ondo an oil producing state took over - how is this yoruba/hausa control?

Oando was also privatised recently, if the 'Wale Tinubu and co decided to buy the firm whose fault is it that others couldn't come up with the funds or the management acumen to do so?

like someone said, until recently the AP chairman was Peter Okocha an igbo man, stop trying to bring ethnic sentiments into each and every discussion
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by redsun(m): 6:14pm On May 14, 2007
The question is not weather an ibo man,hausa man or a yoruba is in  control of oil sector but how the revenue generated  from oil is been used for the benefit of the people. Oil belongs to the people not to a section of corrupt and visionless individuals who thinks that the idea of riches is by robbing their own country,robbing peter to pay paul.What goes around, comes around,how can one be rich in a jungle,you have a lamborghini,you don't have roads to drive it,what sense does it make.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by Besteric(m): 7:17pm On May 14, 2007
I hate ethnic centerd discussion but wld like to comment. Igbos are like Orphans who knowing that they have nobody to take care of them decide to take the Bull by the Horn, They are not interested in embezzling government money rather fend for themselves.
Anyway, Dont blame them, They were in the forefront of education until de civil war, then Awo gave them 20 pounds to start again after the war,, sorry
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by Nobody: 8:36pm On May 14, 2007
xtycod,
You are one squawky ass. Empty barrel.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by redsun(m): 11:55pm On May 14, 2007
An average ibo man is very industrious and creative and that is what it takes to be a normal human,not just looting,burning and disorganising.Don't get me wrong,i am not tribalistic but very realistic,when you are in europe,you don't talk about tribe but about white man been racist, meanwhile among us as a country,we are still very much divided and full of hate,just mere ignorance.We have the guts to call white man a racist while we are more than racist to one another,the best word for it is murderers,do you how many people,especially children that dies everyday in africa because of corruption and mismanagement rather people choose to blame it on witchcraft and devil,meanwhile the real devil is that individual that refuse to be reasonable.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by adconline(m): 7:39am On May 15, 2007
seun001

THE NIGER DELTAS CAN EAT ME UP BUT MY OPINION IS THAT GO AND ASK YOUR LEADERS WHAT THEY HAVE USED YOUR ALLOCATIONS FOR ALL THESE YEARS.Y'LL HAVE REFUSED TO ACCEPT THE TRUTH,YOUTALK THAT YOU ARE BEEN SHORTCHANGED,MEET YOUR LEADERS,MAKE THEM ACCOUNTABLE AND AM SURE YOU WILL START SEEING A DIFFERENCE.
ARE YOU EXPECTING TO BE GIVEN MONEY WITHOUT WORKING FOR IT.I HEAR ALL THESE MILITANTS ARE STINKING RICH AND WHEN IT SEEMS AS IF THEY ARE GETTING BROKE THEY KIDNAP SOME EXPATS INRETURN FOR MONEY.AGAIN I SAY ASK YOUR LEADERS WHERE ALL THE MONIES HAVE GONE.

May be you should  tell us what your leaders have done differently if  not that they favored their cronies to buy Govt owned companies at  Wal Mart rollback prices. Maybe you need to tell me what Adenuga and Otedola were doing pre 1999. Maybe you also need to tell us their source of income. If these cronies were geniuses, as you portray them, why didnt they start their own oil companies without any government connection.

I THINK U PEOPLE SHOULD ALSO UNDERSTAND THAT THE YORUBA PEOPLE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN AGAINST OBASANJOS GOVERNMENT.WE HAVE NEVER BEEN IN SUPPORT OF EVERYTHING HE STANDS FOR.IN FACT WE HAVE ALWAYS BEING HIS GREATEST OPPOSITION.THERE ARE ENUF INSTANCES TO BUTTRESS THIS POINT.

Na true talk my brother. You never supported him but counseled Olu Falae not to seek redress in the court. Even though AD  never met  INEC guidelines, it was allowed to become a political party. AD never fielded opposition presidential candidate in 2003 elections. I wonder if these actions could convince a block head like me that you never supported OBJ. Its time we stopped peddling all these beer parlour stories.

True talk, maybe you did not know that your tribe just catched  up with  the rest of Nigeria. It took Yorubas 47 years to vote for a president who is not from their tribe.   They only voted Yar'dua because there were no serious contenders from South -west. Don’t get me wrong  because Hitler’s mom was  half  Jewish but still hated Jews

I hear you, and Hausas like to herd cattles yet they are in top management position.  You are just making excuses for lopsidedness in oil wealth. You did not see ANY problem with Nigeria, but with Niger Deltans. It took Niger Deltans 47 years to have a VP position maybe that was there fault too. Or their leaders sold out. Corruption is only   domiciled in ND. I wonder why the rest of Nigeria has not progressed without oil wealth if non Niger Deltans were all  Bill Gates.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by seun001(m): 8:32am On May 15, 2007
@ ADCONLINE

U SEEM TO GET ME WRONG.

I DONT SEE ANYTHING WRONG IN GUNNING FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF THEIR LANDS.BUT YOUR LEADERS HAVE BEEN THE CUSTODIANS THAT SHOULD HAVE PUSHED FOR THE REALISATION OF THIS GOAL.IN NIGERIA TODAY EVERYBODY GOES FOR MONEY AND THEY ARE HELD UNACCOUNTABLE FOR IT.

ITS IN NIGERIA THAT U WILL HEAR THAT OVERHEAD IS HIGHER THAN CAPITAL EXPENDITURE WHICH IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE.

WE ALSO HAVE OUR PROBLEMS HERE IN YORUBA LAND WHICH WE DO TRY TO DEAL WITH ON A DAILY BASIS.

AGAIN,AD DID NOT FIELD ANY CANDIDATE because THERE WAS NOBODY TO VOTE FOR.
I DO KNOW ALSO THAT ITS NOT OUR VOTES THAT IS BEING COUNTED IN NIGERIA TODAY because THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER HAVE LONG AGO DISCARDED THEIR INTEREST IN THE POLITICAL TERRAIN IN NIGERIA.

I PERSONALLY CONSIDER ANYBODY GOING FOR ANY POLITICAL POST EVEN STUDENT UNION PRESIDENT A BIG THIEF.AND IT WILL BE VERY DIFFICULT TO CHANGE MY OPINION ON THIS.

WE HAVE ALWAYS CRITICIZED OBASANJO ON HIS SALE OF GOVT COMPANIES.BUT OF COURSE HE SELLS IT TO THOSE IN HIS GOOD BOOKS.IF YOU ARE NOT OR YOU CRITICIZE HIM PUBLICLY THEN YOU ARE DONE FOR.AGAIN, I AM OF THE OPINION THAT ALL PERSONS THAT ARE STINKING RICH IN NIGERIA TODAY HAVE STOLEN GOVT PROPERTY OR MONIES AT ONE TIME OR THE OTHER.

I AM ALSO SURE THAT YOUR PEOPLE IN STRATEGIC POSITIONS ALSO EMPOWER YOUR PEOPLE AND HELP THEM TO BECOME BETTER PEOPLE.BUT I DO REALLY THINK THEY ARE NOT DOING ENUF TO BETTER YOUR PEOPLES LOT.

CONCLUSIVELY,WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE BACK DOWN FROM THE PRESIDENCY,WITH ALL THE HYPE THAT THEY MADE IN THE RUN UP TO THE PRIMARIES,STILL NOBODY COULD MAKE A HEAD WAY.BECAUSE THEY TOO ARE DISHONEST AND HAVE SKELETONS IN THEIR CUPBOARD OTHERWISE SOMEBODY CAN STAND UP TO OBANSANJO.CHEERS
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by istev(m): 3:38pm On May 15, 2007
Guys!

Please let's get clear headed!!
Some of the things I've seen written here shows that there is big perception problem in Nigeria.
And its seriously affecting the way we think. When will we start seeing that Oil is not the only thing
Nigeria can offer? Why must we always start and stop with crude oil?
Why must this issue about Oil degenarate to this level? (Ibo, Yoruba, Hausa and all this nonsense, )
France today makes more money from tourism than Nigeria makes from crude oil, India makes more money
from outsourcing than Nigeria makes from oil. Yet we have potentails in this county that can match and surpass this.
When will we start thinking this way? Besides, Nigeria today is one of the few countries with the largest amount
of different solid minerals in commercial quantity most of which remained untapped and unexplored.
We are clearly not thinking better than this guys kidanpping foreigners in the Niger Delta creeks.
It is sad but  we Nigerian youths are graudaully sinking into a dangerous abyss, our minds are  beign
conditioned  to  close to all our potentials.
I think we on Nairaland will do better if we concentrate our collective energy on reversing this trend rather than
be a part of it.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by mufikings(m): 4:12pm On May 15, 2007
1.It is very glaring to see that  Yoruba's and hausa's have had more share of every thing
that is Nigeria than any other tribe,theirs no pretending about that,wether u guys like it
or not,call and define whatever you want,that is just the simple truth.

2.All that crap about Yoruba's being educationally whatever is crap,if i remember very
well the then"Bendel State"use to come out tops in terms of educational performance,tell
me what happened to all them smart kids!!!? Opportunity give's room to chances in
life.

3.No hard feelings to my Yoruba & Hausa brothers yo all were in the fore front of things
after independence in this country and were opportuned as well,apart from Ojuku all the
persons that have bedeviled and played roles in our misfortuned have been yoruba's
and hausa's and for crying out loud obasanjo is making sure it stay's that way.

4.These Y & H guys failed us,from Abacha,to Abiola,to Shagari.If Donald Duke was either
yoruba or hausa OBJ would have endoresed him,u might want to say that some brothers
from the Niger-Delta sold them selves out.

5.Well do u blame them?they have been victims or a deprived lot!!loosing every sence of
their indentity and rights to a dominated tribe(s).

6.Well yo all can go and argue if u so wish but the truth just have to be said,"I mean
explain the nuisance behaviour by so called agbero's in Lagos metropolis which is meant
to be our commercial nerve center and window of our nation to the world,most of these
guys are of yoruba descent" why don't the yoruba's try and fix that for starts.

Bless ya all,bye cool
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by GNature(m): 10:52pm On May 15, 2007

all the persons that have bedeviled and played roles in our misfortuned have been yoruba's
and hausa's and for crying out loud obasanjo is making sure it stay's that way.

Wrong !

Obasanjo is not making sure it 'stays that way'. The 13% oil derivation and the NDDC came about under Obasanjo's administration. The northen states even sued OBJ's govt at one point regarding the 13% derivation.

Thanks to oil derivation, Rivers state collects the highest revenue from the federal purse today. According the the Finance Ministry, In March 2007, Rivers State got N24.4 billion naira (over US $190 million), followed by Akwa Ibom (N16.9 billion), Bayelsa (N11.1 billion) and Delta (N10.88 billion).

If Ondo an oil producing state got only N6 billion, there is no need for me to say how much less the other states received. So please, Obasanjo has tried to correct some of the wrongs of the past. I do admit that much more needs to be done.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by debosky(m): 11:01pm On May 15, 2007
@ adconline

please explain to me the govt connection in importing diesel and selling it to First Bank, Union Bank, UBA and co to run their operations as Femi Otedola is doing? don't S/Easterners and S/Southerners also have their own companies?

is Sahara Energy (also involved in the same business) owned by Mofe Boyo (from SS) also not doing the same thing?

Or the loans he got from the banks to start his business at exhorbitant rates but has still managed to pay back, and now is even planning on going into local refining?

Is the $600million in IFC and other external funding for Obajana Cement Company and co by Dangote also government money?

stop chasing shadows my man, respect entrepreneurial activity when you see it and don't reduce it to tribalism
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by Nobody: 1:06am On May 16, 2007
xtycod,
i shouldn't be replying you cos it very obvious you are living in a dreamland. how can you tell my personality anyway, i guess you assumed. you are full of assumptions about life ,
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by naijaking1: 2:06am On May 16, 2007
@istev

Please let's get clear headed!!
Some of the things I've seen written here shows that there is big perception problem in Nigeria.
And its seriously affecting the way we think. When will we start seeing that Oil is not the only thing
Nigeria can offer? Why must we always start and stop with crude oil?
Why must this issue about Oil degenarate to this level? (Ibo, Yoruba, Hausa and all this nonsense, )
France today makes more money from tourism than Nigeria makes from crude oil, India makes more money
from outsourcing than Nigeria makes from oil. Yet we have potentails in this county that can match and surpass this.
When will we start thinking this way? Besides, Nigeria today is one of the few countries with the largest amount
of different solid minerals in commercial quantity most of which remained untapped and unexplored.
We are clearly not thinking better than this guys kidanpping foreigners in the Niger Delta creeks.
It is sad but we Nigerian youths are graudaully sinking into a dangerous abyss, our minds are beign
conditioned to close to all our potentials.
I think we on Nairaland will do better if we concentrate our collective energy on reversing this trend rather than
be a part of it.

Well said bro!
I'm one of the few who think that oil is a curse unto the naija nation. It has lubricated corruption, laziness, and tribalism. Whatever happened to the time the north focused on groundnut, the west on cocoa, and the east on palm trees? People made their money, they had control, and they held people accountable. Then, came the oil, the civil war became complicated b/c oil was blamed as a motive, our historical agriculture died, and people started waiting for oil revenue to arrive. We've lost skills, education, and most importantly honesty.
Imagine all the great oil producing nations- Saudi A., Venezuaela, Iran, Nigeria, Kuwait, etc on one column, then imagine the non-oil producers- Japan, India, Brazil, Western Europe, Taiwan/ and even China on another column. You will see a stark comparison in terms of development. Confirms what I said, oil lubricates under-development of the people mind as well as their environment. In naija, oil lubricates tribalism whether we like it or not.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by docokwy(m): 6:56am On May 16, 2007
GNature:

Wrong !

Obasanjo is not making sure it 'stays that way'. The 13% oil derivation and the NDDC came about under Obasanjo's administration. The northen states even sued OBJ's govt at one point regarding the 13% derivation.

Get your facts, some Yoruba states also joined the northern states in the anti 13 % derivation lawsuit. Again, please get your facts or risk being accused of deliberate misinformation bothering on tribalism grin grin.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by GNature(m): 7:09am On May 16, 2007
The bottom line is that Obasanjo was looking out in the interest of the south south people with the 13% derivation and NDDC. So mufikings alleging that OBJ is bent on keeping the status quo was wrong.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by mufikings(m): 10:48am On May 16, 2007
GNature, docokwy!! Well said,

Please don't get me wrong ain't hating on my Yoruba & Hausa brothers,can't do that .

Concerning NDDC and the derivation thing,that seem not to be what am talking about they are only just giving to them what is due to them,any other person could have done that,but since he did (OBJ) the glory goes to him.

But my argument here is still based on the YORUBA HAUSA DOMINANCE WHY DO THEY ALWAYS MAKE IT SEEM LIKE IT IS DESTINED AND ORDAINED FOR THE HAUSA & YORUBA TO RULE NIGERIA,DO YOU REALISE THAT THIS CAUSES SUSPICION AMONG ST OTHER TRIBES?THE PARADOX OF WHAT WE ARE SAYING HERE TODAY WAS GIVING BIRTH TO BY THIS SALIENT DOMINATION.

WHY IS OBJ AFRAID OF REFORMS SERIOUS "REFORMS"CONSTITUTIONAL REFORMS THAT WILL MAKE EVERY ONE FEEL AND SEE THEMSELVES AS A PART OF THIS SYSTEM!!!NOT ONE ORCHESTRATED BY HIM AND HIS BOYS

UNTIL THAT IS FIXED SUSPICION AND TRIBAL SENTIMENTS WILL CONTINUE TO BEDEVIL THIS NATION,NDDC OR NO NDDC.

WHAT NIGERIA NEEDS IS A POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY,NOT POLITICAL TACTICS !!!!WHAT MAKES AMERICA STRONG TODAY EVEN IF THEY ARE NOT PERFECT IS THE FACT THAT THEY HAVE A CONSTITUTION THAT IDENTIFIES WITH EVERYONE.

OBJ SHOULD HAVE ADOPTED THE PHILOSOPHY OF A UNITED FRONT,GIVING PEOPLE 13% PERCENT OR WHATEVER IS NOT GOING TO CHANGE NOTHING NIGERIA'S PROBLEM WILL NOT BE SOLVED DOING THAT!!!!GREAT LEADERS THINK BEYOND THE EXTRA ORDINARY.

"LET ME HELP OBJ OUT HERE, RATHER THAN NDDC AND ALL THAT HE SHOULD HAVE FOCUSED ON GETING 80% OF PEOPLE EDUCATED.

AN EDUCATED NATION BREEDS PEOPLE WITH HIGH LEVEL OF REASONING I GUESS OUR GOVERNMENT DON'T WANT THAT COS THE ILLITERATE LEVEL HELPS KEEP THE PEOPLE OPPRESSED.

LET THE H & Y GUYS LET SOME OTHER TRIBE(S) TRY OUT THERE OWN IDEAS FOR A CHANGE,THAT SHOULDN'T BE SO HARD SHOULD IT??

MAY THE GOD LORD HELP US ALL !!!!
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by ebhohon: 2:24pm On May 16, 2007
You guys are right, the so called niger deltans are lazy. In rivers the ikwerre believe in selling Lands, they dont go to school, no personal development and they want to work in oil company which needs skilled and competent hands in its operations. Indigines are given contract but due to greed they cannot deliver.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by naijaking1: 6:43pm On May 16, 2007
@ebhohon

that's a bit too harsh. when we first come to US, many of us said the same thing about African Americans, but after a few years of living here, we now sabi say na condition make craw fish bend. It's easier to sound high and mighty or mightier when looking at situations from outside, but it doesn't change reality.

I'm not from naija-delta for a start, but disposing one of his land just because of oil was evil, contiues to be evil, and will always be evil. There is no where in the World it would be fair, even animals have a way of marking their territory, and have been known to fight to death defending it. Naija govnmt can raise the appropriation to 100%, pass all sorts of laws, bomb the whole region: it still would not make it right!

My solution?
Let every naija person wey find mineral for in him land, mine it, sell it, and pay appropriate tax. Government can levy how much tax they want as a function of need. In TX, OK, LA that's what happens, and it's fair.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by oludunamis(m): 6:54pm On May 16, 2007
We are all Nigerians, no tribe is more superior than the other. I am Yoruba, I agree that Yorubas and Hausas have a domineering spirit, yorubas are arrogant and they know better than anyone else.

I also do not agree that Yorubas are more educated, that was in the past, I dont have accurate statistics so will not go into that, I hate sentiments and i like to be objectives, basing statements on fact.

Yorubas think the whole of Nigeria revolves round them, Govt shud face up to the realities ND problems and solve it, rather they make excuses and shift blames.

Guys let us go and research about other oil producing countires (at least the ones whose govts are functioning well) ND indigines needs to be given preference, thats how it is world over,

Forget about the rubish about them not being educated, I graduated with loads of niger deltans with good 2;1 degree in engineering, yet they did not get any special prefrence.

My post seeks to admonish nigerians to to slag each other off, none is better than the other, work hard, get a descent education and let govt do more tobring more opportunties for ND people

Yorubas and hausas are no better, I am no better than anyone, life is about opportunities, govt shoud strive to spread equal opportunties.

Nigeria will be great, we are one, lets act as one.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by naijaking1: 8:21pm On May 16, 2007
@oludunamis
u shall live long! having spoken like a true pan-african patriot, ur well schooled culture in history, sociology, and politics shine brightly for all to see. I'm truly moved.

I'm Igbo, but despite the historical animosity b/w naija-delta people and us, vis-a-viz the civil war-abandoned property issues, I think that only truth can save us, all of us.

Like they say in the US Marines, a command is only as strong as its weakest member. So Naija, and in deed Africa is only as strong as its weakest member tribe.
Re: Why Are Major Oil Companies In Nigeria Controlled By Yorubas And Hausas? by adconline(m): 6:39am On May 17, 2007
oludunamis

well done.

Why would people call Niger deltans lazy?  Folks say that Yorubas are smarter than most tribes. Every advantage they have gained came as a result of other people' maltreatment. Awo gave Igbos  20 pounds and then introduced indigenization policy. Most Yorubas bought over multinationals.

OBJ came into office and used his power to favour likes of Adenuga, Otedola and Fasawe. Maybe we should call this nepotism not tribalism. Nobody has been able to tell me what they were worth before 1999

Here are some hard facts. Yorubas dominate banking industry but could not fix CBN until an Igbo slave - Soludo- was drafted to do their job.

They dominate capital market, but could not fix it until another omo Igbo rebel- Okereke- was drafted to till the ground for them.

Likes of Adenuga play big roles in Telecome until another Igbo secessionist - Ernest Ndukwe was drafted to build the industry. Monkey dey work Baboon dey chop.

Hausas took the glory for fighting the war even though most officers were from middle belt region.

Hausa borrowed and squandered   about $ 300 billion, and did not know how to confront their white lenders and accomplices, Igbo Nyamiri – Iweala was brought home to fix their problem.

This is the same way Adenugas,  Tinubus and Co  are best brains in Naija even though Nigerian oil companies were sold to them at Salvation Army prices.

I know that Niger Delta governor are all corrupt, but no Swest governor did what Donald Duke did for Cross River.

This is how things work in Nigeria.  Igbos are problem solvers, Niger Delta keeps Nigeria running with their oil.  Hausas use phony census figures to control power. Yorubas are deal makers.

Seun001.
The reason why South South did not win presidency is not because their leaders sold out, it’s the same reason why they cannot control their oil. Oil and presidency are in exclusive list.  If the whole ND had voted for a candidate of their choice, it could not have changed the outcome in their favour given the fact that Kano  and Lagos would  outnumber the whole ND region.
Make no mistake about it because Yorubas never crowned OBJ. In fact he became president in spite of Yoruba’s opposition to his candidacy. If he became president, why would you think that  Niger Delta’s opposition would have stopped anybody?

Debosky @
please fill in this blank space. If a wicked rich man in your village takes your land by force, builds a factory and tells you that you are lazy, is that entrepreneurial spirit or covetousness?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mistakes Most Online Shoppers In Nigeria Make And How To Avoid Them. / Pure Water Now 10 Naira Per Sachet! / First Bank Appoints Ado Yakubu Wanka As Non-Executive Director

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.