Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,164 members, 7,780,179 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:32 AM

Does Small Generator Damage Your Phone's Battery? - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Does Small Generator Damage Your Phone's Battery? (22358 Views)

Top 10 Reasons Your Phone Battery Dies So Quickly / 6 Signs Of A Bad Phone Battery / Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Small Generator Damage Your Phone's Battery? by uncleck: 3:16pm On Jul 06, 2019
Originalsly:

So why post all that irrelevant stuff?....and the ignorance about 220 volts would charge faster than 110 volts?...when in fact it will fry the device that was designed to operate on 110 volts? Abeg... modify your posts before people follow your enlightenment and damage their devices.
Are you an attack dog! 100-220V input is the standard for morst chargers.

Re: Does Small Generator Damage Your Phone's Battery? by uncleck: 3:22pm On Jul 06, 2019
DanXplore:

1. I think the frequency of the AC matters alot. A relatively low frequency will damage your appliance not just batteries alone. The higher frequencies means that the AC and DC produced is smooth enough for safe operation of your electronics.

2. Another source of instability might arise when load (your electronics) is imposed on the generator. The magnetic flux used to generate current is not sourced from a permanent magnet but an electromagnet which means that part of the current generated is used in creating magnetic field. This could alter the balance of the circuit if a controller (AVR) is not in place to restore balance.The problem here is that most small gens e.g tiger, honda etc don't usually have AVRs and so an unsteady AC and DC is produced.

In summary, the unsteady current due to current fluctuation is what damages your phone batteries. How does it damage your batteries? I have the following theories from a chemical engineering point of view.

1. First of all, direct current is what is used to recharge/restore the potential of batteries through a principle known as electolysis. A steady state current demands that the ions of the electrolyes at the cathode terminal are properly disengaged and restored. An unsteady system will result to a haphazard molecular arrangement of the electrolyte lattice which will reduce the performance of the battery.

2. Unsteady flow of current might lead to a break down of the components that make up the battery because of difference in 'coefficient of expansion' of the battery components. You could notice this by the unusual rise in temperature of the battery when charging.

Note: coefficient of expansion is just the ability of a material to increase in size on the application of heat. Differences in this ability may result in hobbling of the army of molecules in the said appliance or device.

Beautiful explanation

3 Likes

Re: Does Small Generator Damage Your Phone's Battery? by uncleck: 3:23pm On Jul 06, 2019
Odinz:
Cc: uncleck

Well deduced but electric current is measured in amperes not volts. Electric voltage is what is measured in volts. A simple explanation, imagine water flowing through a pipe, the rate at which the water is flowing is similar to current while the pressure of the water is just like the voltage.

Small generators usually have too many fluctuations (voltage, frequency) in their output that's one the reasons why they are not always advisable to use for charging phones and other sensitive electronics.

Final thing. Yes it is true that phone charges are said to accept voltage inputs between 100 - 240V however note this, the lower the voltage the more the current it will draw. This is why it is bad because high currents can damage the charger easily (or blow the fuse). By damage I mean burn it.
This is what I've been looking for. Thanks for your input
Re: Does Small Generator Damage Your Phone's Battery? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jul 06, 2019
DanXplore:

1. I think the frequency of the AC matters alot. A relatively low frequency will damage your appliance not just batteries alone. The higher frequencies means that the AC and DC produced is smooth enough for safe operation of your electronics.

2. Another source of instability might arise when load (your electronics) is imposed on the generator. The magnetic flux used to generate current is not sourced from a permanent magnet but an electromagnet which means that part of the current generated is used in creating magnetic field. This could alter the balance of the circuit if a controller (AVR) is not in place to restore balance.The problem here is that most small gens e.g tiger, honda etc don't usually have AVRs and so an unsteady AC and DC is produced.

In summary, the unsteady current due to current fluctuation is what damages your phone batteries. How does it damage your batteries? I have the following theories from a chemical engineering point of view.

1. First of all, direct current is what is used to recharge/restore the potential of batteries through a principle known as electolysis. A steady state current demands that the ions of the electrolyes at the cathode terminal are properly disengaged and restored. An unsteady system will result to a haphazard molecular arrangement of the electrolyte lattice which will reduce the performance of the battery.

2. Unsteady flow of current might lead to a break down of the components that make up the battery because of difference in 'coefficient of expansion' of the battery components. You could notice this by the unusual rise in temperature of the battery when charging.

Note: coefficient of expansion is just the ability of a material to increase in size on the application of heat. Differences in this ability may result in hobbling of the army of molecules in the said appliance or device.

GraGra247:

It damages both laptop and phone batteries, charger and sometimes components.

Proven by thousands. Ask a phone repair professional.

The culprit is the irregular flow of fluctuating current from the tiger gen.

You really expounded on the matter, bro! Thanks for this. And @GRAGRA247, thanks for your post too on the matter.
Re: Does Small Generator Damage Your Phone's Battery? by uncleck: 3:32pm On Jul 06, 2019
DameB:

11 (elebin) yearz... Dayum..... That generator na ancestor. This na real case of when you find that special one don't let it go.

Lol.

But on a lighter note people complain about gen not being good for phone batteries.
Maybe adding a stabilizer will give your customers better assurance
The sentiment is so widespread that I'm having a rethink.

About the gen, it isn't just one gen over all these years. People make three mistakes while using small gen:
1. Underloading it. You can't plug in your charger and just one energy bulb and expect it not to burn them.

2. Overloading. If you load 300 watts on a gen with 200 watts of capacitor, the current will fluctuate.

3. Not servicing promptly. Service whenever the current start to drop. Sometimes it will give you low current and tune it up, that is when problems start
Re: Does Small Generator Damage Your Phone's Battery? by uncleck: 3:34pm On Jul 06, 2019
romeo1000:
Electric current is measured in amperes not volts.
Volts is d unt of potential difference
Thanks for the correction
Re: Does Small Generator Damage Your Phone's Battery? by uncleck: 3:44pm On Jul 06, 2019
1000angstroms:

Oga stop displaying and preaching ignorance, which phone engineers? The ones who never saw the four walls of any electrical engineering classroom?
Size of generator will not affect your battery except your phone or laptop charger or the phone is faulty.
AC power from mains supply socket at 220v gets into the charger, no matter how much harmonics accompanying the fundamental frequency, the stepdown transformer converts it down to either 12v or less which is still AC power, the diodes which may be configured in half bridge or full bridge will convert it to DC but this DC still fluctuates because diodes allow electricity flow only in one direction, your charger will now use capacitors and sometimes inductors but they are obsolete now to filter the fluctuating DC, the capacitors filter the DC by charging at one cycle when the diode is conducting and discharging at the point when the diode ain't conducting thereby ensuring the DC voltage and current has definite or clipped amplitude. This good DC electricity is now passed through a regulator of 5v that produces pure DC for your phone to charge. This is how it happens even if you use an inverter that produces square wave. Generator has got noting to do with your battery.
Your battery will get bad when you are using it while charging it because of heat and you shaking the cord input to the charging port that Sparks.
Be guided.
I applaud you for this detailed explanation. I've been of the opinion that the source of current can only damage chargers and not batteries unless in situations where the charger is substandard
Re: Does Small Generator Damage Your Phone's Battery? by uncleck: 3:52pm On Jul 06, 2019
GraGra247:

Mr know it all, nobody asked about faulty generators. The topic is directed at well functioning tiger generators.

Please tell us why tiger generators in their best function still damage appliances, chargers and batteries.
Oga, in my 11yrs of using small gen to charge my phones and laptops, non of my original chargers have ever burnt.
Re: Does Small Generator Damage Your Phone's Battery? by GraGra247(m): 3:56pm On Jul 06, 2019
uncleck:
Oga, in my 11yrs of using small gen to charge my phones and laptops, non of my original chargers have ever burnt.

Speak for yourself then. Allow we victims to either find solutions or just carry our cross.
Re: Does Small Generator Damage Your Phone's Battery? by 1000angstroms(m): 3:57pm On Jul 06, 2019
GraGra247:

Mr know it all, nobody asked about faulty generators. The topic is directed at well functioning tiger generators.

Please tell us why tiger generators in their best function still damage appliances, chargers and batteries.
Then am putting it to you that a well functioning tiger generator will not and cannot harm your battery.
Re: Does Small Generator Damage Your Phone's Battery? by 1000angstroms(m): 3:58pm On Jul 06, 2019
GraGra247:

Speak for yourself then. Allow we victims to either find solutions or just carry our cross.
You are asking him to speak for himself but you are using "we" when making your own statements, talk of double standards.
Re: Does Small Generator Damage Your Phone's Battery? by GraGra247(m): 4:18pm On Jul 06, 2019
1000angstroms:

You are asking him to speak for himself but you are using "we" when making your own statements, talk of double standards.

Do you even know the meaning of double standards. How does it relate to my statement.
Re: Does Small Generator Damage Your Phone's Battery? by GraGra247(m): 4:23pm On Jul 06, 2019
1000angstroms:

Then am putting it to you that a well functioning tiger generator will not and cannot harm your battery.

Escape strategy!! Since obviously you can't provide technical explanation. Yet you're Mr know it all.

I also put it to you that a well functioning tiger generator damages appliances for which I've witnessed many times.

If you can't explain it simply humble yourself and declare "you are still learning like everyone else"
Re: Does Small Generator Damage Your Phone's Battery? by BlackHummer(m): 4:24pm On Jul 06, 2019
DanXplore:

Brilliant!
Re: Does Small Generator Damage Your Phone's Battery? by 1000angstroms(m): 4:35pm On Jul 06, 2019
GraGra247:

Escape strategy!! Since obviously you can't provide technical explanation. Yet you're Mr know it all.

I also put it to you that a well functioning tiger generator damages appliances for which I've witnessed many times.

If you can't explain it simply humble yourself and declare "you are still learning like everyone else"
You are the one that does not want to learn, you claim it damages yours, then someone up there already attested that in his 11 years that it has done no harm to his phone and I am also another witness to what he said cos my own phones and chsrgers have been perfect even though I use the same tiger generator you talk about. In evidence it is 2 - 1 and you still want me to give you more facts or what again did you say, I should humble, mtcheeew I can't argue with you again, I wanted to teach you something I studied all the way from undergrad to masters level but it ain't enough for you. Then I can't help you any further.
Re: Does Small Generator Damage Your Phone's Battery? by 1000angstroms(m): 4:38pm On Jul 06, 2019
lordskid:

You never stated any valid argument, bro! What do you think is the CAUSE? Who knows, your argument might help us adjust our wrong notion.

You don't need to attack me, attack the argument, bro. That's how we all LEARN.
if you saw that as an attack, am so sorry for that but I explained everything in one of my posts here.

1 Like

Re: Does Small Generator Damage Your Phone's Battery? by GraGra247(m): 5:45pm On Jul 06, 2019
1000angstroms:

You are the one that does not want to learn, you claim it damages yours, then someone up there already attested that in his 11 years that it has done no harm to his phone and I am also another witness to what he said cos my own phones and chsrgers have been perfect even though I use the same tiger generator you talk about. In evidence it is 2 - 1 and you still want me to give you more facts or what again did you say, I should humble, mtcheeew I can't argue with you again, I wanted to teach you something I studied all the way from undergrad to masters level but it ain't enough for you. Then I can't help you any further.

You have nothing to teach me. Arrogance has nothing good to teach anyone.

... and did you say masters level? Please go and do it again. Cos if you haven't learnt that tiger generator damages appliances, you haven't learnt anything.
Re: Does Small Generator Damage Your Phone's Battery? by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jul 06, 2019
1000angstroms:

AC power from mains supply socket at 220v gets into the charger, no matter how much harmonics accompanying the fundamental frequency, the stepdown transformer converts it down to either 12v or less which is still AC power, the diodes which may be configured in half bridge or full bridge will convert it to DC but this DC still fluctuates because diodes allow electricity flow only in one direction, your charger will now use capacitors to filter the fluctuating DC, the capacitors filter the DC by charging at one cycle when the diode is conducting and discharging at the point when the diode ain't conducting thereby ensuring the DC voltage and current has definite or clipped amplitude. This good DC electricity is now passed through a regulator of 5v that produces pure DC for your phone to charge. This is how it happens even if you use an inverter that produces square wave. Generator has got noting to do with your battery.

Your battery will get bad when you are using it while charging it because of heat and you shaking the cord input to the charging port that sparks.

I'd say this ur argument is really VALID. Honestly, I can't debate this your argument. It seems brilliant to me. Thanks for the efforts, bro.
Re: Does Small Generator Damage Your Phone's Battery? by mechanics(m): 6:57pm On Jul 06, 2019
The fact remains that small generator will destroy phone batteries.

1 Like

Re: Does Small Generator Damage Your Phone's Battery? by nkemjacob2(m): 7:58pm On Jul 06, 2019
Service your small gen. Properly, make sure it has the required current ur gadget will be save
Re: Does Small Generator Damage Your Phone's Battery? by officialfestus(m): 8:34pm On Jul 06, 2019
It doesn't
Re: Does Small Generator Damage Your Phone's Battery? by DedeNkem: 10:04pm On Jul 06, 2019
Genuine generators (gen) don't cause any famage to devices (laptop, phone, power bank, etc). Gens sold in Nigeria are cr*aps!

When I went through many shops and realized that every product they had were fake and low quality, I knew Nigeria was in serious trouble!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Signs That You Are A Smartphone Addict / My Mtn Sim Just Stopped Browsing / TECNO Launches CAMON 20 Doodle Edition Powered By Android

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.