Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,256 members, 7,780,546 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:18 PM

The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions (9568 Views)

The Reality Of Educational System In Nigeria. Don't Laugh Alone!! / Authentication And Legalization Of Educational Documents / Imagine What These Shs Female Students Are Doing In The Absence Of Their Teacher (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by somehow: 3:23pm On Jul 06, 2019
Maybe she meant on local stations. (I actually know BBN is not shown on local stations, just highlights) unlike other shows not even getting their highlights shown on national stations.

Freehuman:

Exactly. Multichoice is the official sponsor of Big Brother Naija. They have discovery channels , Nat Geo Wild, BBC education, Minds Channel (Channel 319 on DSTV just before MTV Base channel) where maths, physics , arts and engineering are taught by foreign experts from morning till night.

Multichoice sponsors Eutesalat star awards twice every year. The student with the best essay wins a good price and a visa to visit any country that would be launching a satellite to space (countries like China, France, USA, Canada etc). The winner gets an opportunity to interact with the best of engineers in the planet and at the end of the year a dinner is held to appreciate the top 20 who participated. Dignitaries across the globe donate to support and give speeches to motivate. Multichoice does not even capitalize this very opportunity.

Now, multichoice actually advertises the Eutesalat Stars award more than Big Brother Naija which is totally free to participate in and no one wants to write an essay in the comfort of his room or library with a snack and peace of mind or is interested but tens of thousands cause a stampede at Big Brother Naija selection venue and even pay for forms.

A population of youth that attack the government and speak bad of the EFCC when they clamp down on internet fraud, a population that protests when a corrupt official is prosecuted for embezzlement, a country with Southern Streets littered with churches and most of these churches teach you that blood transfusion is evil, some teach that medical services and use of drugs are evil, others teach that the television and phones are from the Marine kingdom- where is the science? So wards become medical doctors to be better than their mates, with no effort to make any invention or discovery, and tell patients to return to the church when the illness is neither a malarial illness nor one that requires a minor surgery.

A country with Northern citizens who reject western education and feel proud of themselves when they are treated like nobodies in the East of the globe where their doctrines spring from.

It is not the government, it has never been the government. People make the government, they come from communities and families make communities.

By the way I'm a casual fan of Big Brother Naija . Just glimpse through 10 minutes a week or less. Even the biggest tech entrepreneurs in America followed and supported the Game of Thrones series while it was on.
Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jul 06, 2019
KidsNEXTdoor:

Only fools watch bbnaija
If going by this assertion of yours which I doubt is correct then it only fools that watches movies , music, football or playing any form of games are fools. If hate something doesn't mean others would like what you like. I don't like big brother but I don't call their viewers foolish.
Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by KidsNEXTdoor: 3:33pm On Jul 06, 2019
asuustrike1:

If going by this assertion of yours which I doubt is correct then it only fools that watches movies , music, football or playing any form of games are fools. If hate something doesn't mean others would like what you like. I don't like big brother but I don't call their viewers foolish.

Nigeria is full of fools

Little wonder it's the poverty capital of the world

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by Gazzy88(m): 3:33pm On Jul 06, 2019
I miss gulder ultimate search.
Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by UC0UC(m): 3:34pm On Jul 06, 2019
I wonder how people subscribe to vote these people who they don't benefit from and even made them their celebrity . Most youth in their lack enjoy the fan zone edge they are today and ready to waste their time on stupid shows such as BBnaija.
Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by amaniro: 3:37pm On Jul 06, 2019
asuustrike1:

assustrike1 please leave that fool. There is big brother Germany big brother America almost all the countries have their big brother. Nigerians are hypocrites that's why. They openly condemn "immorality" but do worst when no one is watching. Big brother is a social experiment not meant for kids. It is rated 18 and viewers discretion is advised.

1 Like

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jul 06, 2019
UC0UC:
I wonder how people subscribe to vote these people who they don't benefit from and even made them their celebrity . Most youth in their lack enjoy the fan zone edge they are today and ready to waste their time on stupid shows such as BBnaija.
What do you expect when education isn't valued
Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by Treasure17(m): 3:50pm On Jul 06, 2019
Thoughtful masterpiece from the Op. This conundrum is a total reflection of our society. These days people derive pleasure from unproductive stuff devoid of value whatsoever. These organisations are catching on with this because they've discovered that we glorified inanities. Educative programmes and competitions are highly neglected because those involved want financial return and popularity simple.
Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by holuwajobar(m): 3:56pm On Jul 06, 2019
somehow:
Why should government sponsor it? na government dey sponsor all the rubbish on tvs so far? you think government is in the business of sponsoring shows? Nigerians and blame blame.

what is bad in govt sponsoring brilliant students, who can't afford higher and quality education?
Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by wirinet(m): 4:01pm On Jul 06, 2019
KidsNEXTdoor:
Only fools watch Bbnaija show...

We need good educational shows on TV

The poverty capital of the world has prioritised mediocrity
Then we have lots of fools in Nigeria, because millions if not tens of millions watch BBNaija. How many Nigerians will watch an educational competition or program? I am sure not up to 10,000.

It's a law of demand and supply. Multichoice is giving Nigerians what they demand and are raking in billions. The numbers of sponsors struggling to identify with BBNaija is amazing.

Even here on nairaland, how many views and likes do educational threads get. The most popular topics are politics, romance and celebrity. Write about ned and Regina Daniels and you will get 40,000 views, write about some educational or intellectual stuff, you will be lucky to get 20 views.

You can't blame DSTV for cashing in on Nigerians vain interests.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by Stricklybidness: 5:50pm On Jul 06, 2019
holuwajobar:
Small proportion of Nigerians will be interested in such. The government isn't showing any seriousness to education. Gone are the days when government sponsor brilliant students to abroad, but now, even those who sponsor students to abroad will not keep up to their promises, hence, leaving them stranded in foreign land.

Gone are the days of MILO mathematics quiz, Who want to be a millionaire, zain african challenge and so on.

Can we get those days back?

Sighs. Oh my Country
Cowbell maths quiz....
Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by lexy2014: 6:28pm On Jul 06, 2019
MsFaith:
You can't catch me watching BBNaija, what happened to Who wants to be a Millionaire? Can we start organising intelligent programs too?

No we can't. Corporate Nigeria where most of d sponsorship comes from don't give a damn. Its about returns 4 them. But they will b d first to say our graduates aren't employable. D generality of d public also contributes because they aren't interested in educational programs. If there was an educational reality show taking place same time as BBN, I bet that at lesst 70% of nigerian viewers will b watching BBN instead of d other programme. D organisers will end up loosing despite their good intentions. Lastly, d govts attitude toward education is very poor. What's it's business if u go 2 school? After all, it doesn't have jobs 4u. D cycle goes on& on
Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by Bifrost: 6:59pm On Jul 06, 2019
I have a proposal of replicating "The University Challenge" (UK) in Nigeria television...

The University Challenge is a fantastic educational Quiz show among UK varsities.

But, sponsors... sponsors!
Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by Timblaze(m): 7:06pm On Jul 06, 2019
Solidkay:
Dear OP, thank you for your observation,

I'll like to point out to the fact that Nigeria as a nation is losing her grip on a whole lots of things if not all.

I'll also have to blame a government on this, both past and present,

Is it not in this same Nigeria that it has become a popular saying that a Yahoo boy has a brighter and better future than a 1st class graduate

And our education bodies proved them right by awarding a #100 cash prize award for a first class graduate

I stand to be corrected but everyone going into any reality show business has the sole objective of raking in millions,
meanwhile the education sector doesn't look promising at all.

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by MrLekan95(m): 7:08pm On Jul 06, 2019
interesting...
Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by mimsG: 8:52pm On Jul 06, 2019
Zain Africa Challenge, now that was something..
Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by 0neal(m): 10:13pm On Jul 06, 2019
Jesuspikin8:
Who here misses Zain Africa Challenge?

I'm here �

1 Like

Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by writeprof(m): 11:10pm On Jul 06, 2019
Has anyone noticed that our numerous radio stations also contribute negatively? One hardly finds sensible educative talkshows, it's noisy music and entertainment or politics.
Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by mikolo80: 4:50am On Jul 07, 2019
suregalluv:
Most times we put on our TVs or browse the internet, we often come across auditioning for one reality show or the other; ranging from nationwide shows or other competitions that are campus-based not to talk of the incessant beauty pageantry competitions that are being held, one cannot underestimate the fact that the organisers and sponsors of these events have a lot to give out but then we see that there are very few competitions that are geared towards testing the intellectual capacity of people.

Although, organisers have the freedom to promote what they want to and some people do not see the good in organising one that tests intellect, there is need to encourage those who are good in that aspect. Not everyone can be a beauty queen or a good vocalist or dancer (as these three are the major in Nigeria).

I remember when I was growing up, when the Zain African Challenge was still aired, likewise the MTN Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, I was always looking forward to seeing each episode and even aspiring to be a contestant on those shows but we cannot find such anymore. I so much commend Cowbell Nigeria for the yearly Cowbellpedia and Interswitch for the science-based competition they just concluded.

There is need for sponsors and organisers of these kind of events; events that educate and encourage people, even for students of tertiary institutions and other individuals likewise.

demand and supply
Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by tck2000(m): 5:41pm On Jul 13, 2019
zte
Re: The Absence Of Educational And Intellective Competitions by Cchuks27(m): 3:53am On Mar 31, 2020
Smart girl. Thanks for your observation. [url]Careertrainee.com[/url] is coming to change all that.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Obafemi Awolowo University Workers Disrupt JAMB Mock Examination / What Is Her ATM Card Pin ??? / A Nairalander's Visit To An IDP Camp For 2017 Hult Prize Challenge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.