Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:21 AM

Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili (17806 Views)

I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E: Herdsmen Chase Farmers, Seize Farms For Grazing In Delta / Cows Take Over Ondo Streets Despite Ban On Open Grazing By Governor Akeredolu / Smart Nonso Okafor: Mother Sells Akara, He Won Anambra Assembly Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by Blue3k2: 3:39am On Jul 07, 2019
By Nonso Obikili

There has been a lot of talk about RUGA recently. Apparently, there may be a National Livestock Plan driven by the Vice President’s office which is different from the RUGA initiative which was pushed by the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development. I say “may” because there is such little official information that many, myself included, aren’t too sure exactly what is going on.

Be that as it may, I read a bit about grazing land and cattle recently. Turns out we may have a big problem. A problem because the statistics on the amount of grazing land required for livestock is just wow.

An example: Take the United State for instance. According to data from the US Department of agriculture, almost 30 percent of all land in the United States is used as grazing land, mostly for cows. In total, about 655 million acres were used for grazing in 2012. Given the US cattle population of 90 million at the time, that puts it at about 7.28 acres per cow.

The quagmire: So, if we wanted to give our current 20 million Nigerian cows the same space to graze as their US counterparts then we would have to allocate 145 million acres as grazing land. Or 589,500 km squared. Or 63.81 percent of the entire country. Note: this is before you add land used to grow crops for cattle feed. You would need to add 20 percent more land if you included that.

So yeah, open grazing looks dead on arrival. Going by US standards anyway.

To be fair the United States may be special and may just have allocated excess land to cattle. Data on other countries is a bit difficult to find but Brazil, currently the country with the most cattle, may currently be managing about 2.34 acres per cow. But that is Brazil, the country with “almost as much farmland with more than 975 millimetres of rain each year as the whole of Africa and more than a quarter of all such land in the world”.

But even if we managed to get to Brazil’s grazing land per cow rate, we would still need to carve out 20.46 percent of the country as grazing land for our current 20 million cattle. Not barren land but good land. Land with enough rain and stuff on it for the cows to eat. The morale of the story is; when you crunch the numbers we really do have a problem with an as yet unclear solution.

To be clear I think that the question of land use and ownership is more complicated than “this is our ancestral land and you can’t graze here”. I think in the end you need to have very clear land use laws with enforcement. I also think that herdsmen, who by the nature of their lifestyle would have no fixed “ancestral” land have as much right to earn a living as farmers who also mostly don’t pay for the land. Mostly. But yes, it is complicated. Very complicated.

Source: https://nairametrics.com/2019/07/06/why-we-need-20-of-nigeria-for-grazing/

L

5 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by Nobody: 4:02am On Jul 07, 2019
Every state should provide grazing land for thir own indigenes(herdsmen)
Herdsmen from kano should go to Kano State govt for grazing land, herdsmen from anambra should approach their govt for grazing land, same applies to Oyo herdsmen but they must all be indigene, I think this will solve the problem

178 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by deomelo: 4:26am On Jul 07, 2019
yemaldo:
Every state should provide grazing land for thir own indigenes(herdsmen)
Herdsmen from kano should go to Kano State govt for grazing land, herdsmen from anambra should approach their govt for grazing land, same applies to Oyo herdsmen but they must all be indigene, I think this will solve the problem

Is this not the plan in the first place?

Oh, I forgot you heard from somewhere on the internet that the FG will take your land and ship fulani herdsmen from the North to your states to take over your state.

Funny how people deny themselves economic and job opportunities because of ignorance, bigotry, petty politics, and tribalism.

18 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by chriskosherbal(m): 4:34am On Jul 07, 2019
Nigeria Nigeria Nigeria

How many times did I call u ... grin

1 Like

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by Nobody: 4:43am On Jul 07, 2019
deomelo:

Oh, I forgot you heard from somewhere on the internet that the FG will take your land and ship fulani herdsmen from the North to your states to take over your state.

Funny how people deny themselves economic and job opportunities because of ignorance, bigotry, petty politics, and tribalism.
I don't think so , am just seeing this for the first time, fed government never said each state should provide grazing land for their indigenes

107 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by Blue3k2: 4:43am On Jul 07, 2019
The answer depends on what's type of land we're talking about from the quick glance I've seen on google. The general rule is 2 acres per cow calf pair then you'll need to supplement their diets. This will be an interesting math problem for the stakeholders to figure out. Im pretty sure the new ranchers will start using irrigation since it would crazy to depend solely on rain.

Other than that Nigeria's population is expanding rapidly so we'll need to import beef to fufill needs inevitably. It's especially true when wealth grows and demand follows. China and the United States do. That latter is especially interesting since its the largest importer and a top exporter.

2 Shares

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by kotv: 4:59am On Jul 07, 2019
deomelo:

That was not the plan and you know it. The plan was to provide grazing lands for fulani in all state hence, since Ruga was cancelled, it is the North threatening the entire southern states. The Ruga settlement wouldn't have been severally opposed if it was meant for indigenous of the state. Stop trying to change the narrative of the original plan.

176 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by aolawale025: 4:59am On Jul 07, 2019
Hardly feasible in Nigeria of roday

2 Likes

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by Abeymills(m): 5:14am On Jul 07, 2019
Nigeria is not USA n we live with monsters terrorist wicked blood sucking demons called Fulani herdsmen

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by lastmessenger: 5:40am On Jul 07, 2019
deomelo:

Thank God for this RUGA matter. If not I wouldn't know you are a Fulani man. A confirmed terrorist sympathizer.

127 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by deomelo: 5:53am On Jul 07, 2019
yemaldo:

I don't think so , am just seeing this for the first time, fed government never said each state should provide grazing land for their indigenes

They did not ask the states to provide land for heardsmen from the north or other states either.

They want states to volunteer and donate land for the national livestock program for them to develop and allow investors from anywhere to invest and set up livestock business including grazing, animal husbandry, animal clinics, meat processing and packaging businesses and generate IGR at the same time.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by deomelo: 5:54am On Jul 07, 2019
[s]
lastmessenger:
Thank God for this RUGA matter. If not I wouldn't know you are a Fulani man. A confirmed terrorist sympathizer.
[/s]

Bigorty, shallow and unintelligent mentality can't get you far in life.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by Pavore9: 6:01am On Jul 07, 2019
deomelo:

Can you post a link to a video or a webpage where the FG clearly stated the indigenes of the participating states will be the primary focus.

99 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by stonemasonn: 6:03am On Jul 07, 2019
It is not feasible in Nigeria, 200 million people in a country less than Texas in size.

Why not in other west and Central African countries, why must it be in Nigeria.

Nigeria can sponsor cattle ranches in Benin, Cameroon and Niger...link these ranches with railway lines, moving animal feeds, animals, dairy products etc to and fro.

19 Likes

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by deomelo: 6:04am On Jul 07, 2019
kotv:

That was not the plan and you know it. The plan was to provide grazing lands for fulani in all state hence, since Ruga was cancelled, it is the North threatening the entire southern states. The Ruga settlement wouldn't have been severally opposed if it was meant for indigenous of the state. Stop trying to change the narrative of the original plan.

The government can not take your land and ship in people from other states to occupy your land, the states are in control of their land and it is up to them to decide how to run and manage what goes on within their boders.

Public ignorance and hysteria is responsible for what is going on right now, but in the end, they will do the right thing

You are denying yourself great economic development and opportunity, not the FG

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by deomelo: 6:32am On Jul 07, 2019
Pavore9:

Can you post a link to a video or a webpage where the FG clearly stated the indigenes of the participating states will be the primary focus.

The FG and even the states cannot set up any program or business with government money and confine participation strictly to that locality or indigenous, that's discrimination and against the Nigerian constitution. It is illegal so that's totally out of the question, but you are free to show us where such was done in any state or at the federal level.

Lagos state cannot establish a business with state funds that other people pay into via taxes and say the only indigenes are allowed to participate or benefit from.

NLTP/RUGA is an open program for every Nigerian and investors from anywhere to participate in, if you are a pig farmer, a goat farmer, ostrich farmer, whatever kind of animal farmer you are, the program is open for all, not just herders.

People just don't read, they follow and consume distorted info, rumors and anti-government sentiments.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by deomelo: 6:45am On Jul 07, 2019
Btw, are the RUGA rejecting states coming up with their own brilliant ideas and alternatives? No, they are not because they are incompetent, they can not deal with complex issues so they abdicated their responsibilities to hide under public noise and hysteria instead of enlightening and educating their people.

Wike is boasting and spewing ignorant, bigoted and illiterate rubbish against the North as if he's hurting them, no, he's hurting his own people.

Rivers state's unemployment and the misery index rate is the highest in Nigeria, a major segment of his youth population are cultists and jobless, but as the second richest state in Nigeria, this is a golden opportunity for him to put his people to work and make money at the same time.

Right now, you are losing money because herders are grazing free of charge on your land and you can not do anything about it and to even show how dumb and stupid these governors are, the cattle owners return the same cows to your states to slaughter and consume and ship the money back to where they came from tax-free all off the same land you are boasting that you won't donate when in fact you've donated the land already free of charge.

Ode penny wise pound foolish.

No wonder nearly all the states in Nigeria are poor and can't stand alone without FG allocation, these governors are too dumb and incompetent to manage ordinary toilet.

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by Nobody: 7:11am On Jul 07, 2019
With all the mayhem of the herdsmen without authority, you now want to give them authority....

No point arguing this ruga thing, the indigenes can grow their meat if they so desire meat, or like wike said... export grass and water for meat...

THE FULANIS JUST WANT EVERYTHING FREE..

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by lastmessenger: 7:30am On Jul 07, 2019
deomelo:
[s][/s]

Bigorty, shallow and unintelligent mentality can't get you far in life.
terrorism,ethnic superiority complex,cow colony or ruga and even president buhari and his army combined together won't get you a settlement in Nigeria.
The world has rejected you.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by lastmessenger: 7:32am On Jul 07, 2019
deomelo:
Btw, are the RUGA rejecting states coming up with their own brilliant ideas and alternatives? No, they are not because they are incompetent, they can not deal with complex issues so they abdicated their responsibilities to hide under public noise and hysteria instead of enlightening and educating their people.

Wike is boasting and spewing ignorant, bigoted and illiterate rubbish against the North as if he's hurting them, no, he's hurting his own people.

Rivers state's unemployment and the misery index rate is the highest in Nigeria, a major segment of his youth population are cultists and jobless, but as the second richest state in Nigeria, this is a golden opportunity for him to put his people to work and make money at the same time.

Right now, you are losing money because herders are grazing free of charge on your land and you can not do anything about it and to even show how dumb and stupid these governors are, the cattle owners return the same cows to your states to slaughter and consume and ship the money back to where they came from tax-free all off the same land you are boasting that you won't donate when in fact you've donated the land already free of charge.

No wonder nearly all the states in Nigeria are poor and can't stand alone without FG allocation, these governors are too dumb and incompetent to manage ordinary toilet.
Bla bla bla Id..oitic lunatic.

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by deomelo: 7:38am On Jul 07, 2019
[s]
lastmessenger:
Bla bla bla Id..oitic lunatic.

lastmessenger:
terrorism,ethnic superiority complex,cow colony or ruga and even president buhari and his army combined together won't get you a settlement in Nigeria.
The world has rejected you.

[/s]

My post really wasn't for legion of illiterates and low mentality people like you .

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by timecapsule: 7:55am On Jul 07, 2019
Federal government by PMB said that Nigerian youths are lazy.
Federal government should tell state government to provide land for his indigenous youths for RUGA or live stock or whatever they may called it not in the other way round. I giving out my land for foreigners, for what?

I hope its not am thinking! Are we ruled by foreigner here in Nigeria?
RUGA or no RUGA, federal government is the herdsmen.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by mrvitalis(m): 8:00am On Jul 07, 2019
deomelo:

They did not ask the states to provide land for heardsmen from the north or other states either.

They want states to volunteer and donate land for the national livestock program for them to develop and allow investors from anywhere to invest and set up livestock business including grazing, animal husbandry, animal clinics, meat processing and packaging businesses and generate IGR at the same time.

South dont need to farm cow ...is not by force na

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by mrvitalis(m): 8:01am On Jul 07, 2019
deomelo:

Rivers state has never been into cow farming ...they dont need it

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by BUSINESSARENAA(m): 8:33am On Jul 07, 2019
deomelo:

The FG and even the states cannot set up any program or business with government money and confine participation strictly to that locality or indigenous, that's discrimination and against the Nigerian constitution. It is illegal so that's totally out of the question, but you are free to show us where such was done in any state or at the federal level.

Lagos state cannot establish a business with state funds that other people pay into via taxes and say the only indigenes are allowed to participate or benefit from.

NLTP/RUGA is an open program for every Nigerian and investors from anywhere to participate in, if you are a pig farmer, a goat farmer, ostrich farmer, whatever kind of animal farmer you are, the program is open for all, not just herders.

People just don't read, they follow and consume distorted info, rumors and anti-government sentiments.

I have just been reading your myopic defence with regards to this RUGA issue and I am forced to comment to so that gullible minds won't be swayed by your half baked truth and defence.

First for the records the RUGA program is entirely different from the NLTP, the latter is domiciled in the office of the Vice President, after a meeting of the NEC, with state governors in attendance, but some state governors went back to their states only for them to start hearing of RUGA as against their NLTP.

To clear your second lie, RUGA was not designed to carry indigenous people of the state along, rather it is an indirect way of land grabbing for a particular set of people, if it was designed to carry indigenous people along, there won't be this brouhaha. Some people have also asked, what's the guarantee that these lands when legally handed over to the FGN will actually be used for this purpose, and not a way for top government officials to freely allocate large expanse of land to themselves all over the nation, citing OPERATION FEED THE NATION as a case study.

Let me remind you that some herdsmen are laying claim on the National grazing routes as gazetted by the military regime, the only saving grace why this is not making waves is because the 1999 constitution gave state governors executive fiat over all lands in the state, that's why they have not exploited that avenue to perpetuate their selfish acts.

Please also note that those cows are being owned by wealthy ALHAJIS, and only use these boys as foot soldiers for their business, why will we give land to wealthy people when they can confidently provide it for their businesses themselves, that's stupidity.

Cattle rearing is a 100% private business, we wonder why the FGN is hell bent on using tax payers money to sponsor a private business that does not even pay tax, we also wonder why the FGN is not also talking other forms of animal husbandry like, pig, rabbit, goat etc, why only cow.

Nobody is willing to allow Fulani herdsmen close to his domain considering the recent happening for security reasons, sensible Nigerians are also wondering why the perpetrators of these heinous crimes have not been brought to book, obviously the FGN has been very complacent about some serious issues thus eroding trust completely.

Recently we saw an IGBO youth group advising their people to go into COW husbandry, also we saw a result from Anambra state , that's the line we expected the FGN to tow, encourage youths locally to engage since cow rearing is a multi million dollar business, it will also help improve the economy and reduce unemployment.

In summary,
NO LAND FOR RUGA SETTLEMENT

80 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by lastmessenger: 8:33am On Jul 07, 2019
deomelo:

My post really wasn't for legion of illiterates and low mentality people like you .
I am here to expose and shame terrorist and their sympathizers.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by mrvitalis(m): 8:43am On Jul 07, 2019
deomelo:

20% for cows right , 20% for pigs ,20% for birds 20% for goats , casaava needs 40% na , what of rice , beans , corn , yam melon , okro

U just shut up n get a life

If u want land buy one

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by Pavore9: 8:57am On Jul 07, 2019
deomelo:

If from Cross Rivers State and raised in Sokoto State, will Sokoto state grant me bursary like the indigenes? Why was there provision for issuance of local government of origin certificate?

15 Likes

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by rusher14: 9:03am On Jul 07, 2019
deomelo:

Preach Deo.

Unfortunately, the youth of Nigeria are averse to reading and critical thinking.

1 Like

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by helinues: 9:46am On Jul 07, 2019
Is herding now Governments private business? When are we going to have ICT settlements, Mechanics settlements, traders settlements?

North are being selfish about this Ruga things

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by ivandragon: 9:48am On Jul 07, 2019
Op, you made a good analysis, but there are some areas that you did not state which would have put the comparison into better perspective...

For instance, the grazing land in the US (relative to the post) belongs to the FG (US) & are unclaimed lands (mostly unhabited) & lands gotten from the original owners (the native Americans) by force of eviction & death.

In Nigeria, practically every piece of land is claimed by either families or the state government & as such, the onus of establishing such grazing land rests on the state governments and/or the local communities.

Besides, in the US, there is free range & open range grazing & both allow for some level of 'fenced ranching' either by the owners of the cattle or the residents who do not want cattle to encroach their lands.

Furthermore, the Ruga initiative (under any guise the FG wants to term it) seems to propose more of the permanent relocation of entire families & cultures into areas with less affinity for those cultures...

A typical modern ranch (depending on size) doesn't need more than 10-15 ranch hands of which less than 10 need to actual stay on the ranch.

A big but less modern ranch may need more hands, say, 30-40 person's. This is still not enough to justify the settlement which would probably have well over 1000 settlers... How many cows would each settlement have to justify the number of settlers?

At the end of the day, ranching is the way to go & it should be done by private businesses or state governments...

Today, the Nigerian army has a cattle ranch & I wonder what business it has with that (except for research purposes). The military has no business being in such business... Or will it also start establishing farms for every agricultural product?

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili by 247Dior(m): 10:13am On Jul 07, 2019
Blue3k2:

Source: https://nairametrics.com/2019/07/06/why-we-need-20-of-nigeria-for-grazing/

Front Page: Lalasticlala
what you need is 20% of northern Nigeria for grazing

16 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

APC: I Have Never Lost Any Election In 44 Years Of Politics – Abdullahi Adamu / -- / There is no IDP Camp in APC: Oshiomhole Reacts To Obaseki-Shaibu feud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.