Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,244 members, 7,807,825 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:58 PM

Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai (53879 Views)

Aviation Our Only Chance Of Developing South East— Captain Evarest Nnaji / Nigeria Is Two Countries In One: Backward North, Developing South - ElRufai / Nigeria Is Two Countries In One: Backward North, Developing South - El-rufai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by Topshow2010(m): 11:43am On Jul 07, 2019
SouthEastFacts:

The North is never united like you think. If having NGF is what you call unity, then pele.
That's true ;thanks to Obj(dts d only tin I admired dt man for).He broke dt one north slogan during his regime.
Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by bikefab(m): 11:44am On Jul 07, 2019
Whose fault is it? The nation's rulers have come majorly from the north. Little wonder why they have completely refused to liberate that region.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by rampantlover: 11:44am On Jul 07, 2019
Now we call cattles RUGA in Ghana grin cheesy grin cheesy what a mumu nation
Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by Ttipsy(f): 11:45am On Jul 07, 2019
The problem of North is religion.

their hate for Christians makes them backward.

they should be glad lugard mapped them into southern Nigeria. if not Afghanistan would be heaven compared to North East.

With all this their primitive and ignorant way of thinking, why won't they remain backward??

what is Ruga in 21st century ??
they should better emulate Saudi Arabia which has started changing most of their barbaric Islamic laws to embrace Western culture!

Adding to their born to rule syndrome, yet they are extremely backward. they should embrace Education, give Chance to Western practice. when you examine the similarity between a northerner born and raised in the south to the one born and raised in the north there's an overwhelming different.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by Nobody: 11:45am On Jul 07, 2019
madridsta007:

I thought it was only me that knew this.

El Rufai said this to pander to the gullibles down South.

Is a pure calculated and articulated statement and some ignoramus are shouting and laughing.

Light they have it
road they have it
infrastructure they have it
Govt machinery they have it
Embassies, they have it.

All and all they have but will look for excuse to steal and take more from here.

A sensible person needs to counter him with facts.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by Maliqcious: 11:45am On Jul 07, 2019
Blunt and He hate Shehu Sani blunt and He changed the system of politics in Kaduna.. I won't say much until 2023
papiforreal:

He's not bigot bro. He's just blunt. It's can that painted him as that

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by Nobody: 11:47am On Jul 07, 2019
Maliqcious:
I felt so too

Is a pure calculated and articulated statement and some ignoramus are shouting and laughing.
Light they have it
road they have it
infrastructure they have it
Govt machinery they have it
Embassies, they have it.
All and all they have but will look for excuse to steal and take more from here.
A sensible person needs to counter him with facts.

The light brain here on nairaland are jumping up and down because there reasoning starts and ends on nairaland.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by madridsta007(m): 11:50am On Jul 07, 2019
OGHENAOGIE:
you guys are hypocrites he is statin the obvious yet you are castigating him for that...he is Just a governor of kaduna and won't be there forever...or there are no issues in South like kidnapping, internet fraud, etc...this is a man who has Appionted some southerners as members of his cabinet...yet you are saying rubbish...as it stands he is one of the best governors we have in Nigeria not Just north...make una de get open mind to issues...

I am not sure you understand the meaning of the word, "hypocrite"; like most Nigerians, you throw out populist words in your statements with the aim of projecting yourself as knowledgeable. Funny.

Because, El Rufai is the biggest hypocrite, if you understand the word, "hypocrite". He states that one of the biggest problems in the North is insecurity, yet it was he that (1) Paid foriegn Fulani militia men with Nigerian money for killing Nigerians, (2) Has supervised the killings and massacres of Shia religionists in Kaduna and buried them in mass graves (3) Under his and the APC administration, the Kaduna-Abuja road has turned into a home of Fulani genocidists, raping, killing and butchering and he has done nothing about it, despite his allocated billions in security votes and the immense power of being a State Governor(4) Is supervising the near weekly-daily killings in Southern Kaduna. I can go on and on, but hey, I believe you get the full picture.

You see why he is a hypocrite- if you actually understand the word, "hypocrite".

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by Isahalbash(m): 11:53am On Jul 07, 2019
Umsel5195:
i am from kano and i know our problems, the communities were control by fanatics who sometimes enforces their culture on you they dont care whether its ok to do it in other cultures, they denied you the total control of your life.

I agreed 100%. That's one of the major problem of the north.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by PhilipGallagher(m): 11:54am On Jul 07, 2019
The irony is that the North still control the Power. So why can't they develop their people

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by teadrake(m): 11:54am On Jul 07, 2019
chidemavian:
This is why northern Nigeria has remained backwards
If truly you have any sanctity of a dignified individual, you should be ashamed of yourself for this irresponsible submission of yours.
"Fridom" indeed. Tufiaka!!!
Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by nnokwa042(m): 11:55am On Jul 07, 2019
General0847:

You mean the same religion that is practiced in developed Dubai?
Religion has nothing to do with this, Nigeria as a whole is just one giant ghetto. What about the poor state of roads, health care and electricity, will you blame that on religion too? Mkpi
if western nation stop managing Dubai it will turn to Yemen is like you don't know about Islam ,check all Muslim countries and tell me which one you will like move to with your family buy house and live

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by Maket: 11:55am On Jul 07, 2019
May be he wanted to say north majority are illiterate developing with southern resources.
Southern majority are literate and excessive looters hence underdeveloped.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by henryobinna(m): 11:56am On Jul 07, 2019
JeromeBlack:

But when religion is used to do good, you will acknowledge it.

Religion is a problem in Nigeria whether you like it or not
yea, I'll acknowledge religion for all the positives it has added to the country... because it has done greatly for the country right from inception, many of the founding fathers of nigeria and top guys then went ti school on scholarship from different religious institutions Christians and muslims.

And by the way can you ne succinct in telling me how religion is the problem.of Nigeria, be it Christianity or Islam...

lazy people are only good at pushing blames to something they know won't reply them.
Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by anuda(m): 11:56am On Jul 07, 2019
If you have JESUS, you have everything!
The Lord Jesus makes a special call to you
today; a call that you must answer!
Accept Jesus today as your personal Lord and
Saviour and He will keep you safe when every
other thing fails, even unto eternity!
The beauties of this world- money, power,
cars, houses, professions, wealth, etc- will one
day pass away, and then eternity comes!
It may even come sooner than you expected
and the only person that guarantees you
eternal life is Jesus; ie if you have Him in your
life.
Therefore, accept Him today when He is very
near to you and take Him as your role model.
He will keep you safe on earth and also keep
you safe at the time of your departure from
this world.
Remember, tomorrow may be too late!
Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by Ttipsy(f): 12:02pm On Jul 07, 2019
rampantlover:
Now we call cattles RUGA in Ghana grin cheesy grin cheesy what a mumu nation
don't mind them, they want to affect the South with their backward lifestyle

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by NickD(m): 12:02pm On Jul 07, 2019
Anambralstson:
Noah Ebije, Kaduna

Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai has said that, Nigeria consists of two countries: a developing South, and a backward, less educated and unhealthy North, with the highest number of poor people in the world.
El-Rufai equally lamented that the northern region has development indicators similar to that of Afganistan, a country at war.

Speaking in Kaduna on Saturday at the Northern Youth Summit organised by Northern Hibiscus, an NGO, El-Rufai however said that the problems of the region must be addressed collectively as a group of 19 northern states governors, not as individual states.
El-Rufai said the summit whose theme was “Awakening the Arewa Spirit,” was very timely, adding that “when we talk about awakening the spirit, it means the spirit is either sleeping or dead. Therefore, this summit is very important, just like our keynote address speaker has said.

“But, looking at the statistics, Nigeria appears to be a middle-income country. But, if we segregate those statistics across states and zones, you will see that in terms of human development indicators, Nigeria consists of two countries; there is a backward, less educated and unhealthy northern Nigeria and a developing, largely educated and healthy southern Nigeria.

“We have to speak the truth to ourselves and ask why is it that northern Nigeria has development indicators similar to Afganistan, a country still at war?
“We have the largest number of poor people in the world, most of them in northern Nigeria. Nigeria also has the largest number of out-of-school children, virtually all of them in Northern Nigeria.

“Northern Nigeria has become the centre of drug abuse, gender violence, banditry, kidnapping and terrorism. We have also been associated with high divorce rate and breakdown of families. These are the challenges that confront us. This is the naked truth that we have to tell ourselves.

“We must, therefore, as leaders at all levels have a conversation about the way forward for our part of the country. Because increasingly, as many of you must have seen on social media, we are being considered as the parasite of the federal economy, even though, that is not entirely true. Because northern Nigeria still feeds the nation. The richest businessman in Nigeria is still Aliko Dangote, not someone from southern Nigeria, thank God for that.

“So, we still have a lot to be proud of. We should be proud of our culture and tradition, as well as unity. You hardly can find someone from northern Nigeria convicted of 419 or being aYahoo boy. That is something we should be proud of.

“We are generally considered to be more honest and less corrupt than other Nigerians. That is something we should be proud of. In addition, our demographic superiority gives us a very powerful tool to negotiate in politics. And that is something we should be proud of, and we should preserve. So, we have every reason to unite and not be divided.

“I, therefore, call on you the youth; you account for 80 per cent of the northern population and the future of this region lies in your hands, not in the hands of Dinosaurs like me. I’m 59 and among the oldest five per cent of the northern population. I shouldn’t even be governor; I should have been governor ten years ago. But ‘na condition make crayfish bend,’ so we are here.
“But, why are we here? In my view, we are here to prepare the next generation of leaders. That is why the agenda for this summit is very important. So, you should take the panel discussions very seriously and come up with very clear and implementable decisions that you will circulate to all of us elected to lead in northern Nigeria.

“I urge Northern Hibiscus to send recommendations from this summit to the Chairman of northern state governors’ forum. We have to do something about the situation of northern Nigeria and we must do so as a group of 19 governors, not individual state governors.” El-Rufai said.

Also speaking, the sponsor of the event and immediate past Chairman of House of Representatives Committee on Appropriation, Hon. Abdulmumini Jibrin said, while the North was in dire situation, the region has not lost everything. “There is growth everywhere and so many leaders have emerged.”

Jibrin who analysed the need to reawaken the Arewa spirit on sociocultural, economic and political spheres, said family unit remains the bigger challenge faced in the region as it contributes to high rate of divorce, late marriages, drug abuse and destitution.

Looking at the economic aspect, he noted the need for job and wealth creation to build businesses, understanding competition, marketing and funding in entrepreneurship.
He said there is little or no money available at commercial banks to loan small and medium enterprises because government borrows an average of N1 trillion annually with N600 billion to N700 billion interest from first line charge.

The lawmaker called for role models across board, adding that “we have to mould leaders, we have to create ourselves into leaders,” he said.

In her opening remarks, founder of Northern Hibiscus Initiative, Aisha Falke, said the summit was organised to examine the numerous challenges of the North, with a view to finding lasting solutions to them.

She also disclosed that, Northern Hibiscus had also taken the bull by the horn with a 16-year action to empower the youths with useful skills, especially those who are not privileged to have formal education.

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/nigeria-country-of-backward-north-developing-south-el-rufai/
Lol this guy is retarded... the north has had more presidents in the history of Nigeria, why don't they develop their region? They prefer enslaving their people with almajiri mentality so they can keep stiffling and trampling on them. Next news please.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by sulaak(m): 12:08pm On Jul 07, 2019
El-Rufai, however, said that the problems of the region must be addressed collectively as a group of 19 northern states governors

El -Rufai, is trying to link the backward and failing North-East and North-West with the mineral and agricultural rich Middle-Belt( North Central). The Fulani's are the root cause of poverty in the North, their caste and hierarchical policies have rendered the Hausas and Middle-Belt into a subservient society.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by teelaw4life(m): 12:08pm On Jul 07, 2019
You hardly can find someone from northern Nigeria convicted of 419 or being aYahoo boy. That is something we should be proud of.

cheesy cheesy cheesy

That's because the north is not very educated na.
Internet fraud requires some level of literacy.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by Jesusceejay247: 12:09pm On Jul 07, 2019
In a region where their foundation and orientation are based on religion rather than the fundamental principles of life there is nothing u expect to get in turn other than what they are experiencing.
1. Over 30% of them believe that western education is a sin.
2. A shoe shiner will marry 3 to 4 wives just to fulfill religious obligation.
3. Begging (almajiri) is seen as a noble institution.
4. The educated ones among them don't want others to go to school so that their children (the illiterates) will also serve their own children (the educated) even in the next generation.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by 9jaunite: 12:12pm On Jul 07, 2019
The truth is bitter
Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by fabienjoe: 12:12pm On Jul 07, 2019
DrLikita12:
Northern leaders always show up to/organize fancy summits to repeat the same thing over and over again yet many of them are unwilling to provide any solutions. Some are even more interested in adding to the problems.
They will lament and say we need population control yet the same people will go and organize mass weddings (then turn around and complain about divorce rates) when that money can be channeled somewhere more productive; they will sponsor pilgrimage but not education; they will complain about VVF but refuse to legally protect female children. They are complaining about illiteracy but how many of them have any plans for almajiri children? The ones that even need to be here are no where to be found. Who is fooling who?
It's good for us to know our problems but it's more important for us to solve them. Repeating the same problems (and more every few years) will not take us anywhere. The North (and the core North in particular) is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. Is that not folly? Before Boko Haram there was the Maitatsine sect. After Boko Haram there will be another one because there is a steady supply of iliterate, ignorant young people whose leaders are only interested in being re-elected. Meanwhile we'll probably have another summit in another few months reminding us of the exact same problems without providing any solutions.

A sound mind you've got...However, your views won't be acceptable to the northern leadership. You would be seen as too westernized and your views too radical. One of the strengths mentioned by El-Rufai is unity of the north. The views you expressed are modern, realistic and progressive, but that is diametrically opposed to religious subjugation which the north thrives on. It provides the oxygen for their most cherished unity. No current leader of the north would touch your suggestion with a bergpole, even if they know it is the truth. I don't see these dire statistics of northern Nigeria changing any time soon.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by BBBmall25: 12:14pm On Jul 07, 2019
agbangam:
True talk cool
... Yea My Man, One Of The Most Honest Northen Leader
Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by EkunKekere: 12:21pm On Jul 07, 2019
Oil and Gas is unsustainable because countries are gradually weaning themselves off dependence on it.

Most nations like India, China, Germany, Japan etc have set deadlines to eliminate all use of fossil fuels by the middle of this century. Norway which used to be one of the largest producers of Oil, now has more electric cars playing it's roads than ones that run on petroleum.

The problem is, I don't see how the economic rewards and benefits of embracing the meat and dairy industry will ever match what we enjoyed from crude oil, simply because, unlike crude oil, it is not an industry that can be monopolised by a few lucky resource rich countries.

I think industrialization, focusing on making our young people techpreneurs and following the example of a place like Israel is the way to go in the long run.

tiwiex:

True. They pretty much provided no solution to the numerous problems. I would have thought the theme could have been "challenges of open grazing and economic benefits of ranching". That would have made it worthwhile. That sector trumps oil and gas if managed commercially across the value chain and would create numerous jobs for the youths.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by Ikpongiton: 12:22pm On Jul 07, 2019
there is no diffirent between the two ,except the poor north looking tiny in an oversized dress.while the poor south look fat and pretentive in undersized cloth
Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by Quorax: 12:25pm On Jul 07, 2019
agbangam:
True talk cool
take Rufai serious and your own peril. Didn't Sanusi said same thing and they called for his head? Take the north serious on development at your own peril.
Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by MKULTRA: 12:25pm On Jul 07, 2019
DrLikita12:
Northern leaders always show up to/organize fancy summits to repeat the same thing over and over again yet many of them are unwilling to provide any solutions. Some are even more interested in adding to the problems.
They will lament and say we need population control yet the same people will go and organize mass weddings (then turn around and complain about divorce rates) when that money can be channeled somewhere more productive; they will sponsor pilgrimage but not education; they will complain about VVF but refuse to legally protect female children. They are complaining about illiteracy but how many of them have any plans for almajiri children? The ones that even need to be here are no where to be found. Who is fooling who?
It's good for us to know our problems but it's more important for us to solve them. Repeating the same problems (and more every few years) will not take us anywhere. The North (and the core North in particular) is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. Is that not folly? Before Boko Haram there was the Maitatsine sect. After Boko Haram there will be another one because there is a steady supply of iliterate, ignorant young people whose leaders are only interested in being re-elected. Meanwhile we'll probably have another summit in another few months reminding us of the exact same problems without providing any solutions.
More divine wisdom to you Friend....you hit the spot.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jul 07, 2019
Do people still take this guy seriously? The north would be a better place if northern leaders like him quit stealing and allowed resources trickle down to the lower classes.
Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by Ugosample(m): 12:26pm On Jul 07, 2019
ikennamadu1:

No be mkpi something.... Them carry Islam for head unlike Saudi, Dubai and other Arab countries weh encourage some level of western culture.. Talk true sometimes

being open is not a "western culture" per se

I think that is the mistake we make

I get your point

but those countries encourage openness to an extent

Which even tho western folks are open, it's not their exclusive preserve (or exclusive culture)

I just hope you get my point
Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by DrLikita12(f): 12:28pm On Jul 07, 2019
fabienjoe:

A sound mind you've got...However, your views won't be acceptable to the northern leadership. You would be seen as too westernized and your views too radical. One of the strengths mentioned by El-Rufai is unity of the north. The views you expressed are modern, realistic and progressive, but that is diametrically opposed to religious subjugation which the north thrives on. It provides the oxygen for their most cherished unity. No current leader of the north would touch your suggestion with a bergpole, even if they know it is the truth. I don't see these dire statistics of northern Nigeria changing any time soon.

Thank you.
This is my problem, they want it to seem like they are interested in doing something without actually doing anything.
Re: Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai by flecho: 12:28pm On Jul 07, 2019
General0847:

You mean the same religion that is practiced in developed Dubai?
Religion has nothing to do with this, Nigeria as a whole is just one giant ghetto. What about the poor state of roads, health care and electricity, will you blame that on religion too? Mkpi

El rufai talk abt his age y did he not mention baba go slow, after all na dem vote em. So in the next 50-100 yrs dy will still be backward, cos by then Biafra will be actualize. So d opportunities dy hv nw with free oil money dy re wasting it. Is all rit (confusion in the camp of enemies)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Obituary: Precious Owolabi To Be Buried Tomorrow / President Buhari At The Mosque For Prayers / FG Orders Civil Servants To Resume Monday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.