Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,854 members, 7,802,738 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:25 PM

Why Isn't E Commerce Thriving In Nigeria? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Isn't E Commerce Thriving In Nigeria? (685 Views)

Earning At Least N200,000 as Side Income Isn't that Bad. Learn How I Do it / 5 Businesses That Are Thriving During Covid-19 Pandemic - Nairametrics / 5 Reasons Why E-commerce Is Not Thriving In Nigeria As It Should (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Isn't E Commerce Thriving In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:26am On Jul 07, 2019
Can we discuss the above topic? Why isn't E commerce thriving in Nigeria compared to other countries? A lot of people aren't even aware that shopify works seamlessly in Nigeria
Re: Why Isn't E Commerce Thriving In Nigeria? by Samogbo1(m): 9:00am On Jul 07, 2019
Good topic!

But I think it depends on your angle of view. Jumia is tapping lots of cash from Nigerians(it's a fact).

As for shopify, I personally find the steps involved in creating it to be rigorous n lengthy.
Re: Why Isn't E Commerce Thriving In Nigeria? by WalkerMichael(m): 9:10am On Jul 07, 2019
majesty05:
Can we discuss the above topic? Why isn't E commerce thriving in Nigeria compared to other countries? A lot of people aren't even aware that shopify works seamlessly in Nigeria

Running an ecommerce business in Nigeria is frustrating. How do you solve the payment on delivery /payment before delivery issue in the industry? Cus this is inarguably the number 1 problem with doing ecommerce business in Nigeria.
Re: Why Isn't E Commerce Thriving In Nigeria? by rusher14: 9:10am On Jul 07, 2019
Where is that guy that killed a Jumia delivery man in Port Harcourt?
Re: Why Isn't E Commerce Thriving In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:13am On Jul 07, 2019
WalkerMichael:

Running an ecommerce business in Nigeria is frustrating. How do you solve the payment on delivery /payment before delivery issue in the industry? Cus this is inarguably the number 1 problem with doing ecommerce business in Nigeria.
I agree with you. Most buyers only want payment on delivery. There is a trust issue
Re: Why Isn't E Commerce Thriving In Nigeria? by WalkerMichael(m): 9:23am On Jul 07, 2019
majesty05:

I agree with you. Most buyers only want payment on delivery. There is a trust issue

Yes, it's the standing #1 issue we have and this has stopped alot of people from jumping into the ecommerce industry. How can this be resolved permanently? Customers are afraid of paying upfront for the fear of being scammed (don't blame them). I just hope a permanent solution is found
Re: Why Isn't E Commerce Thriving In Nigeria? by jamace(m): 9:55am On Jul 07, 2019
I know a few E- commerce persons who are making it in Nigeria because they have established trust in their customers.

Trust is the offspring of Honesty. Therefore, Honesty is the key to successful E-commerce business.
Re: Why Isn't E Commerce Thriving In Nigeria? by SKhanmi: 10:58am On Jul 07, 2019
Some of the problems:

1)Mode of payment
2) Reliability & trust
3) Flexibility of the operator.
4) Delivery time

1) Most new customers prefer pay on delivery,nobody wants to be scammed. And 90% of them would pay but the drawback is the remainder,some people were either drunk while ordering or just testing, while a few will deliberately order for what they won't pay. I've actually met someone who does that,order in Lagos, feel the product,cooks up excuses,return the item,goes to IB,does the same thing again. Some Nigerians are just irredeemable.

2) New on the scene?, What guarantee do I have that you won't swallow my money or send something else. It ties in with no 1 above. Knew an E-commerce store that started out well,only to start accepting unscrupulous dealers who will send fake or substandard products... and they wonder why people never pay & never ever order again. Streetwise people.

3) There's a limit to what a single person can do,you want to operate a very successful Ecommerce store? Invest in a good team, Many new suggestions,customer preferences, possible trending products for specific areas, selective advertising, customer profiling etc come from the customer service department & the footsoldiers (delivery agents) everyday but alas don't get implemented because the few personnel are overwhelmed. Most never make use of the inputs from their customers & business environment. See how jumia went global?.

4) This kinda explains itself,faster delivery times requires the best delivery team. Costs money & supervision also. Works for everyone Except for the 10% I mentioned up there,some of them order products in anticipation of some money dropping in their pockets after calculation the possible time you will send their orders due to distance. They get shocked when they order from Lagos Friday morning & get a call that it's already in akure Saturday Afternoon. Disappearing act activated! Teleporting completed!

E-commerce is very lucrative but you have to know your onions.

3 Likes

Re: Why Isn't E Commerce Thriving In Nigeria? by bamidele89: 12:44pm On Jul 07, 2019
Ecommerce in Nigeria is just a stressful thing, but I believe no business that is not stressful
Another thing is those customer. A customer order for wristwatch from me from Sokoto and I stay at Ondo state, after I send thr product to his location on getting there I called him to let him know that they will deliver his product shortly, to my surprised the customer switch off his number, since then I just leave the watch alone at sokoto, don't even bother to send it back because I can't pay for transport again

Another scenario a customer order a posture corrector from my ecommerce site and I sent it to Benin
To my funny surprise he is the one calling me that I should quickly sent it, when the product got to Benin he no pick call again, but thank God another customer order from benin and I use the same product to deliver to another customer

Delivery as for me is very simple and fast, if a customer order goods on my site and I have the goods in stock, even if na Abuja the customer lives, I will deliver it the second day because I use Delivery guys which are far better from all so call delivery company that delay person goods
They quickly deliver my goods to the customer when I sent it

Check my E-commerce store
Bmscollection.com

No abuse me ooo,, na me create am my self but e no easy because am not a web designer just have little knowledge

Ecommerce in Nigeria requires patience and trust
Re: Why Isn't E Commerce Thriving In Nigeria? by bamidele89: 12:47pm On Jul 07, 2019
majesty05:

Shopify walks but that monthly fee make many people run like me, I fitstly use shopify when I started ecommerce with a video course I bought
But I was unable to make sales in my first month and shopify is asking for their monthly fee

I quickly change to WordPress with ecommerce
Re: Why Isn't E Commerce Thriving In Nigeria? by crown2gold(m): 7:44am On Jul 08, 2019
Ecommerce is Sweet! But you must ve well groomed in it...ecommerce in Nigeria made me resigned my teaching job for a better and stress free life

For shopify,there's a way you can go about it without paying a monthly free..legal!
Re: Why Isn't E Commerce Thriving In Nigeria? by WalkerMichael(m): 8:02pm On Jul 08, 2019
crown2gold:
Ecommerce is Sweet! But you must ve well groomed in it...ecommerce in Nigeria made me resigned my teaching job for a better and stress free life

For shopify,there's a way you can go about it without paying a monthly free..legal!

I'm interested in knowing this. Can you share how to?
Re: Why Isn't E Commerce Thriving In Nigeria? by hustlelegit(m): 11:30pm On Jul 08, 2019
crown2gold:

why do people keep running to shopify when woo-commerce dey available, me prefer woo-commerce cos i gat everything under control. I think people prefer shopify due to its simplicity even with its 30$/month.
Re: Why Isn't E Commerce Thriving In Nigeria? by HeliosHay(m): 11:59pm On Jul 08, 2019
WalkerMichael:

Yes, it's the standing #1 issue we have and this has stopped alot of people from jumping into the ecommerce industry. How can this be resolved permanently? Customers are afraid of paying upfront for the fear of being scammed (don't blame them). I just hope a permanent solution is found

I think this can be addressed by

1. Being as transparent as possible (this builds trust)
2. Educating people on the benefit of e-commerce (reduce ignorance)
3. Offering Strong Money back guarantees (This gives people the confidence to spend online)
4. Getting reviews from legitimate and trusted people/organisations

Most people that haven't jumped on the bandwagon are doing it out of ignorance

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

An Open Letter To Helioshay / If You Love Your Mum.. This Is For You / 15 Ways The New Finance Bill Will Change Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.