Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,858 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:21 AM

White Lies: Are They Permissible? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / White Lies: Are They Permissible? (7148 Views)

Is It Permissible To Eat Pouched Rat (okeete) / Permissible Hairstyle For Men In Islam / Is It Permissible For A Woman To Wear A Makeup When Her Suitor Comes? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

White Lies: Are They Permissible? by Rashduct4luv(m): 9:43am On Jul 09, 2019
Many take the permission of the Prophet sallallaahu`alayhi wa sallam (may Allah exalt his mention) to lie in three exceptional cases in the wrong way as a justification for white lies. The Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam (may Allah exalt his mention) said: "A liar is not one who tries to bring reconciliation amongst people and speaks good (in order to avert dispute), or he conveys good." [Muslim]
Commenting on this Hadeeth, Ibn Shihab, one of the transmitters, said that he has not heard that the exemption was granted with regard to the typical lies that people tell but in three cases: In war in order to cause reconciliation among people and in the narration of the words of the husband to his wife, and the narration of the words of a wife to her husband (in a euphemistic way in order to cause reconciliation between them).

Some may take this as a license to take truthfulness lightly and tell what they think to be white, harmless lies. The case is the opposite. What people misunderstand is the Arabic usage of the word `kadhib.' In particular in the Prophet's usage of it sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam (may Allah exalt his mention)`kadhib' means anything less than the complete truth, even if it is not a lie in our ordinary usage of the term. This becomes clear in the following Hadeeth narrated by Muslim:
The Prophet sallallaahu`alayhi wa sallam (may Allah exalt his mention) said: "Ibraheem may Allah exalt his mention never `lied' except in three cases, two for Allah, when he said [as an excuse when asked by his people to join them in celebration of their idols] `I am sick'; and [when they came back and asked who broke their idols, he said] `Rather, it was the biggest among them who did that.' And the third was about Sarah, and that was his saying: `When he asks you, say you are my sister, because you are my sister in Islam.' [Muslim]
Imam an-Nawawi explains that these lies were "lies only with regard to the understanding of their immediate audience, but not in and of themselves." Ibraheem may Allah exalt his mention indeed was "sick" of their idol-worship, and his response that it was the biggest idol who broke the rest was simply a rhetorical ploy, which is not ordinarily considered a lie in our speech. For instance, when a friend sees you sipping on a cup of tea and asks, "What are you doing?" and you say: "What do you think? I am flying in the air"—that is not a lie, but a rhetorical expression to convey your annoyance. The Prophet Ibraaheem may Allah exalt his mention made this clear in the third example by adding that Sarah was his sister "in Islam," for she, indeed, was. But the Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allah exalt his mention ) still called it a lie because it was less than the whole truth.

The scholars of Islam agree, reports Imam an-Nawawi, that a Muslim is permitted, indeed, required, to hide an innocent or wrongly persecuted person from oppressors, and if he must lie in this pursuit, he can. But even in such cases, lying should be avoided if possible. Abu Bakr al-Siddeeq the most truthful man of the ‘Ummah who accompanied the Prophet sallallaahu`alayhi wa sallam (may Allah exalt his mention) on his flight to Madeenah, was accosted by an acquaintance of his who did not know the Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam (may Allah exalt his mention) by face but had probably heard of the Makkan search for him. He asked Abu Bakr may Allah be pleased with him about his companion, to which Abu Bakr may Allah be pleased with him said: "He is my guide. He shows me the way." Abu Bakr did not lie even in such dire circumstances, but simply equivocated.

The case of "lying" allowed for a husband speaking to his wife (or vice versa) is similar. When a wife asks her husband if he loves her or thinks she looks beautiful, the answer is not always clear even to the husband. Depending on his state of mind and their relationship, the woman who looks perfectly beautiful and lovable to him most of the time might look not so at the moment. Especially, when influenced by Satan's whispers, one's wife often looks less attractive than other women, even if the opposite is true.
Since the usual standard of truthfulness in Islam is so meticulous and high, the husband is allowed to say what pleases her or helps reconcile her heart, even if at that moment he does not feel exactly that way.
Saying that he loves his wife is likely in fact to recall in his mind what he loves about her and bring happiness and incite more love in her heart. Thus, the statements made to please one's spouse are not, strictly speaking, "lying" in our ordinary usage.
With this exception, lying to one's spouse in any other situation or any other way is as prohibited and despised as in any other. A relationship built on lies cannot last for very long, let alone be blessed with "mercy" and "love" that Allah promises to place between spouses [Quran 30:21].

Finally, take the case of war. War is fought to overcome and often destroy the other side. But even in this situation, the rule in the Quran is to never deceive in principle. People often misunderstand what the Prophet sallallaahu`alayhi wa sallam (may Allah exalt his mention) famously said, namely, that "War is khud'ah (stratagem)." Khud'ah is stratagem, a tactical maneuver to mislead the enemy. It is not treachery, deception, or breach of agreement, which would be khiyaanah, and Allah emphatically prohibits that.
Allah Almighty Says (what means): {If you fear treachery (khiyana) from any group, openly throw back (their covenant) to them, (so as to be) on equal terms: for Allah loves not the treacherous.} [Quran 8:58]

Imagine the level of integrity required, such that even when you fear the enemy's breach of treaty and attack, you do not simply unilaterally end the treaty and attack them, but, rather, let your enemy know that the treaty is over.
What the Quran and Hadeeth teach us is that the requirement in Islam of truthfulness and integrity is so high and the agreement between our outsides and insides must be so meticulous that even equivocation, telling half the truth, and evading the straightforward fact is termed as kadhib, a lie. Under normal circumstances, such differences between one's words and true feelings would be considered lying, but they are allowed in uniquely exceptional circumstances.

Islamweb.net

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: White Lies: Are They Permissible? by BlackPantherxXx: 9:24am On Jul 26, 2019
grin

I tell them Black and White... even Grey.

God forgive me undecided

2 Likes

Re: White Lies: Are They Permissible? by gaetano: 9:37am On Jul 26, 2019
"I believe that there no Allah but God."
"I believe that Jesus Christ is God's Holy Son."
"I believe that Christianity is the Only True Religion."
"lā ʾilāha ʾillā-llāh, I throw Maggi for woman Yansh."

I undeclare that shit

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: White Lies: Are They Permissible? by Praktikals(m): 9:40am On Jul 26, 2019
If the lie does not affect you in any serious was, it ain't a sin. (This is not not my bible tells me sha).
Re: White Lies: Are They Permissible? by sarahade(f): 9:41am On Jul 26, 2019
Lie na lie.

There's nothing like white lie. It's better you don't say anything.

4 Likes

Re: White Lies: Are They Permissible? by Elukapendragon(m): 9:55am On Jul 26, 2019
God punish the idiot who put that Islamic rubbish on my profile...

You want to force that religion on me

7 Likes

Re: White Lies: Are They Permissible? by Nobody: 9:56am On Jul 26, 2019
Islamatizing nairaland grin grin grin

Any Christian who comment on this have already lied shocked

1 Like

Re: White Lies: Are They Permissible? by Babaheekmat: 10:00am On Jul 26, 2019
Copy and paste.
Re: White Lies: Are They Permissible? by Predator1: 10:10am On Jul 26, 2019
Thanks for the knowledge.
Jummah Mubarak

4 Likes

Re: White Lies: Are They Permissible? by abujaafar18: 11:07am On Jul 26, 2019
JazakAllahu khayran

2 Likes

Re: White Lies: Are They Permissible? by Tboysalau(m): 12:00pm On Jul 26, 2019
Jumaat Mubarak
Re: White Lies: Are They Permissible? by follock007(m): 12:35pm On Jul 26, 2019
Although Light and Darkness are polar opposite, they are also partially intertwined in the middle. In here, Up is Down and Black is White.
I have a sketch on this.
Re: White Lies: Are They Permissible? by Khaleell001(m): 12:37pm On Jul 26, 2019
sarahade:
Lie na lie.

There's nothing like white lie. It's better you don't say anything.

You are just talking as if you are a robot.
Can you swear you've never said a white lie before in your entire life?
Can you?
Sometimes, you people just appear from nowhere trying to box us into in accepting whatever trash you eqivocate.
Re: White Lies: Are They Permissible? by Khaleell001(m): 12:40pm On Jul 26, 2019
Elukapendragon:
God punish the idiot who put that Islamic rubbish on my profile...

You want to force that religion on me

And moreover, God will punish your more for not minding your business.

The topic is strictly for Muslims and how it became your concern and problem is what I am yet to understand.

Even if you end up being insulted you deserve it.

Wait, who invited you in the first place?
Re: White Lies: Are They Permissible? by Elukapendragon(m): 1:15pm On Jul 26, 2019
Khaleell001:

And moreover, God will punish your more for not minding your business.

The topic is strictly for Muslims and how it became your concern and problem is what I am yet to understand.

Even if you end up being insulted you deserve it.

Wait, who invited you in the first place?

Incase you've forgotten.. . I should have the right to comment on what ever post I wish to comment on

Moreover who are u? AnA what are u doing on Nairaland... You should be sucking a cows breast
Re: White Lies: Are They Permissible? by Rashduct4luv(m): 2:54pm On Jul 26, 2019
Womenareape:
killing for Allah sake is also permissible

I think i once asked you a question that why would you choose such moniker when you have sisters, mum and aunts?
Re: White Lies: Are They Permissible? by archat: 3:02pm On Jul 26, 2019
jazakumullahu qairan my brother more ink to your slate insha Allah.and pls dont argue with this dumb fools,even with a crystal clear fact they will still dispute u so argueing with them is just a shear waste of precious time.

MAY ALLAH BLESS U FOR THIS POST.HAPPY JUMAT
Re: White Lies: Are They Permissible? by harbarzzy(m): 3:17pm On Jul 26, 2019
gaetano:
"I believe that there no Allah but God."
"I believe that Jesus Christ is God's Holy Son."
"I believe that Christianity is the Only True Religion."
"lā ʾilāha ʾillā-llāh, I throw Maggi for woman Yansh."

I undeclare that shit
if only you read, could have gained something...I bliv in Jesus as Muslim..but to xtainity that name is known for scams and deceit

1 Like

Re: White Lies: Are They Permissible? by sarahade(f): 4:05pm On Jul 26, 2019
Khaleell001:

You are just talking as if you are a robot.
Can you swear you've never said a white lie before in your entire life?
Can you?
Sometimes, you people just appear from nowhere trying to box us into in accepting whatever trash you eqivocate.

You have a problem. Where did i write that i have never told a lie or i don't lie.

Please use your brain and stop typing with your emotions.
Read to understand not to reply it makes you look stupid
nobody is fighting with you.

It's better to ask for forgiveness than claiming there's a particular lie that is acceptable next thing is white stealing, white rape, white adultery. Please go and rest
Re: White Lies: Are They Permissible? by isram: 5:12pm On Jul 26, 2019
When the whole religion is built on lies
Re: White Lies: Are They Permissible? by Khaleell001(m): 9:05pm On Jul 26, 2019
sarahade:

You have a problem. Where did i write that i have never told a lie or i don't lie.

Please use your brain and stop typing with your emotions.
Read to understand not to reply it makes you look stupid
nobody is fighting with you.

It's better to ask for forgiveness than claiming there's a particular lie that is acceptable next thing is white stealing, white rape, white adultery. Please go and rest

Madam, go back to the post and read the nuances that have been explained in the post concerning the meaning and context of white lie.

If making a false statement which is meant to save a life, reconcile two quarrelling parties and to ward off evil these are what we can call white lies not lying in itself.
For you to understand what white lie is context is key, but if you do away with it then you have no way to understand what it means.

And I very much doubt if you have not lied and claiming you have not lied shows you have lied at least once knowing what your girls do.

Let me ask you a good question:
If an assailants attacks you,let's say in a street and demands that you expose the location of a beloved one knowing full well that he will kill that person, will you in all honesty tell that assailant their location?
As a normal human being would it not be good that you lie(white lie) to save a life than expose the location.
This is why I said you have lied before but only trying to present a smokescreen of papagon of truthfulness.
Re: White Lies: Are They Permissible? by sarahade(f): 9:30pm On Jul 26, 2019
Khaleell001:

Madam, go back to the post and read the nuances that have been explained in the post concerning the meaning and context of white lie.

If making a false statement which is meant to save a life, reconcile two quarrelling parties and to ward off evil these are what we can call white lies not lying in itself.
For you to understand what white lie is context is key, but if you do away with it then you have no way to understand what it means.

And I very much doubt if you have not lied and claiming you have not lied shows you have lied at least once knowing what your girls do.

Let me ask you a good question:
If an assailants attacks you,let's say in a street and demands that you expose the location of a beloved one knowing full well that he will kill that person, will you in all honesty tell that assailant their location?
As a normal human being would it not be good that you lie(white lie) to save a life than expose the location.
This is why I said you have lied before but only trying to present a smokescreen of papagon of truthfulness.

You are dumb.
Re: White Lies: Are They Permissible? by Khaleell001(m): 9:33pm On Jul 26, 2019
sarahade:

You are dumb.
Thank you ma.
But not brainless like you.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Importance of Tawakkul in the Life of a Muslim / Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? / Various Groups, Each Claiming To Be The Victorious One!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.