Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,396 members, 7,808,423 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:43 AM

'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) (31505 Views)

Ezekiel Izuogu Produced Nigeria's First Locally Made Car (photos) / $28m Rolls Royce Boat-Tail: World's Most Expensive Car (Photos) / Hyundai Kona: Nigeria Unveils First Locally-Assembled Electric Car (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by chigo5(m): 1:58pm On Jul 09, 2019
no b keke motor b dis, 1980 design
Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by CodeTemplar: 2:00pm On Jul 09, 2019
Godyke:
This is absolute rubbish. All I can see is a glorified Keke with seats like that of a Safari or golf course cars. With all the latest designs in town is this all a University Engineering students could come up with? Who even brought this kind of news online? I believe this project started in the nineteen eighties hence the body design finishing and should be better off being placed in museum than being seen on the road. What can a distance of a mere 30km offer. Besides nobody is talking of how many hours it will take to get a full charge. I can't celebrate this mediocrity.
This isn't a case of how far or how well it is but how hard it was getting the prototype to work.
Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by wirinet(m): 2:09pm On Jul 09, 2019
CodeTemplar:
Electric is much easier to build and I can't understand the hype surrounding of prototypes of electric car in Nigeria.
That's what most people don't understand, electric engines (which is simply a DC motor) are simpler than petrol/diesel engines. The major problem of electric cars are the battery capacity, charging facility and safety.

1 Like

Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by kernel01: 2:11pm On Jul 09, 2019
Igbobyblood:
grin what better way to mock igbos insulting my ethnic group? Using their moniker against them.

Lol I've passed that

As a proud Igbo man, I will not take up any clan Moniker that's not Igbo/English. My wars against my enemies aren't hidden. I face situation with my real clan identity.
Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by Godyke(m): 2:20pm On Jul 09, 2019
CodeTemplar:
This isn't a case of how far or how well it is but how hard it was getting the prototype to work.

Anything they say, worth doing is worth doing well. This thing is not worth presenting to the online community. As a prototype, it should be tested and further developed to something more appealing to the eye before finally unveiling rather than this public show of shame. We have since gone past this level. There so many of such similar vehicles (although not electric) built by skillful technicians and artisan begging for sponsorship to produce better designs.

1 Like

Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by chuckjonesbaba(m): 2:32pm On Jul 09, 2019
iCauseTrouble:
Nawa for Nigeria o. Electric cars wey dropouts dey make for India and China.
Thought school is meant for innovations and inventions and not copy and paste

Can you show us a link of these electric cars from China and India? Can you please also check out the government aid and positive support for youth development.
Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by chuckjonesbaba(m): 2:33pm On Jul 09, 2019
crazyABO:
Lol am speechless. I cant commend this and at the same time I cant condemn it cos I cant fit build one but we can do better sad

With better support and financial stability they might one day invent things that you can never imagine possible.
Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jul 09, 2019
Igbobyblood:
Mhen I'm not even Igbo but igbos truth be told are one of the most smartest and innovative ethnic group on the Africa continent. I won't deny it.

PS I'm Edo by the way

I'm Igbo and this is rubbish
Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by babeosisi: 2:37pm On Jul 09, 2019
If there were 100 lifetimes I will come to each one as Igbo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by babeosisi: 2:39pm On Jul 09, 2019
Godyke:

Anything they say, worth doing is worth doing well. This thing is not worth presenting to the online community. As a prototype, it should be tested and further developed to something more appealing to the eye before finally unveiling rather than this public show of shame. We have since gone past this level. There so many of such similar vehicles (although not electric) built by skillful technicians and artisan begging for sponsorship to produce better designs.

Sharap jor
Soon u will start begging for recharge card money while your mates are inventing
Bad belle no go kee u
Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by chingymingy: 2:42pm On Jul 09, 2019
Looks very crude but very much acceptable for a nation like Nigeria with little or no invention
Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by TheSpellChecker: 2:46pm On Jul 09, 2019
Igbobyblood:
Mhen I'm not even Igbo but igbos truth be told are one of the most smartest and innovative ethnic group on the Africa continent. I won't deny it.

PS I'm Edo by the way

Sir, I think smartest is enough.
Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by Neoteny(m): 2:50pm On Jul 09, 2019
Abkreizi:

Fixed...

See?

Total exhibit of a kiddie jackass

Growup you jobless cretin
Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by tlarge1612: 2:59pm On Jul 09, 2019
Most smartest indeed!!!! angry
Igbobyblood:

PS I'm Edo by the way
Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by Godyke(m): 3:02pm On Jul 09, 2019
babeosisi:

Sharap jor
Soon u will start begging for recharge card money while your mates are inventing
Bad belle no go kee u

Is this not this anti Christ? You that have been fighting the church and have spoken evil about men of God. You are already cursed, no need to reply you the way I wanted to.
Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by Softing(m): 3:04pm On Jul 09, 2019
Rubbish and shapeless, can't they get a fine art students to do a proper body work. Shit as Bleep. Dick head.
Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by Jaqenhghar: 3:11pm On Jul 09, 2019
youngibeh:

I BELIEVE SAY TO LIGHT CANDLE GO BE CASE FOR YOU. ZOMBIE WEY NO FIT DO ANYTHING DE LAF PERSON WEY EVEN TRY.
You call this try
[img]https://media1./images/cc691d6b41d2f745f8d03a120c17c4d1/tenor.gif?itemid=13187177[/img]
Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by HeyCorleone(m): 3:24pm On Jul 09, 2019
iswallker:

coffin for five..

if you know you know... embarassed

If no effort is made at all, we all complain.

If little things are accomplished, we bad-mouth them. What is "coffin for five"? Aren't you a university graduate? Why can't you invent something?

Some of you just come online to just rubbish yourselves by making very childish comments. You want to join the trend of always castigating Nigeria, then do it constructively. You don't spit on everything.
Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by Damod88: 3:31pm On Jul 09, 2019
Nigeria wants to show off in a world that doesn't notice whether or not it exists. Trying to develop electric cars, which of course we don't even have the technology, is a pure waste of time. What I think we should do first is to develop our steel industry without which we cannot do any meaningful manufacturing. The preconditions for industrial development are steel industry, skill manpower, R&D, good infrastructure, shrew entrepreneurs,foreign companies and countries who are willing and ready to transfer the necessary technogies,availabl markets and an advanced education system. Unfortunately, all these pre-conditions are lacking in Nigeria which, of course, will continue to make industrial development a daunting task.

We have several institutions doing one fabrication or the other like the one of the UNN without anything coming out it. I could remember when I gained admission into the federal polytechnic Ado Ekiti, I saw a similar car built by the school's engineering faculty , so this is not the first time a vehicle will be developed by a Nigerian school.

For those ignorant fools who are trying to read a tribal meaning to it, I think they should understand that the vehicle was designed by Nigerian students in a Nigerian university drawing its students from all the states of the federation and not just from a particular ethnic group. Even my eldest brother graduated from that university with the overall best result in his set.

What you are more likely to see is the vehicle being ended up in the University's museum,if at all they have one. We don't have the basis for even low end manufacturing let alone high end manufacturing. We still need to create the basis before we begin to impress the world that doesn't notice us. We need to have a disciplined work force, a strong and stable government that can drive up investments in key sectors of the economy, a well fed population, highest priority being given to R&D and technical education.But all these require huge amount of money and investments.

1 Like

Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by XwhY(m): 3:40pm On Jul 09, 2019
I can't stop laughing, I'm still looking for the lion in the ozumba grin
Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by babeosisi: 3:55pm On Jul 09, 2019
Godyke:

Is this not this anti Christ? You that have been fighting the church and have spoken evil about men of God. You are already cursed, no need to reply you the way I wanted to.

You see why I say many of you just sit in church after handing over your brains to the people robbing you blind.
The way you are throwing curses around tells me you have never met Christ
You are just a captive of the mighty doing as your slave master commands.The day you come to Christ you will be free from idolatry .Don't go and use the brains God gave you and keep outsourcing your thinking to salesmen on the pulpit.
If the curses of your papa works, many would be dead by now but they scare your empty heads with curses and then you turn around and repeat the same to others forgetting that many of us are not in the same cage you're in.
You cannot curse anybody
You are incapable of it,not you,your GO or even the devil himself can curse anyone
I am beyond your curses because I am blessed
May the Lord set you free from slavery in Jesus name
Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by BizBayo: 4:03pm On Jul 09, 2019
Noel1:

U want him to dump his money on this. U wicked no be small o grin

Pumping in money for better manufacturing of the cars.
Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by CodeTemplar: 4:08pm On Jul 09, 2019
Godyke:

Further development requires fund.
Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by ugocitywnda: 4:35pm On Jul 09, 2019
Abkreizi:

Till your biafra dream comes to pass.... you are Nigerian stop the anarchy for christ sake
your brain needs refrigerator shaa
Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by tsfisheriesm: 4:45pm On Jul 09, 2019
Igbo is naturally blessed, give us this nation and it's wealth to manage in one decade this place will be first world country

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by steperone(m): 4:58pm On Jul 09, 2019
Igbobyblood:

PS I'm Edo by the way

You’re not even wrong, they are very innovative... But the pride, disunity and hate amongs and for themselves won’t let them be greater.
Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by Amudeneogu: 5:09pm On Jul 09, 2019
The great lion and lionness congratulations more grease to your elbows i saw more productions
Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by Amudeneogu: 5:13pm On Jul 09, 2019
YorubaMuslims:
I'm Igbo and this is rubbish
THEN GO AND PRODUCE YOUR OWN
Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by Godyke(m): 5:44pm On Jul 09, 2019
babeosisi:

You see why I say many of you just sit in church after handing over your brains to the people robbing you blind.
The way you are throwing curses around tells me you have never met Christ
You are just a captive of the mighty doing as your slave master commands.The day you come to Christ you will be free from idolatry .Don't go and use the brains God gave you and keep outsourcing your brains to salesmen on the pulpit.
If the curses of your papa works, many would be dead by now but they scare your empty heads with curses and then you turn around and repeat the same to others forgetting that many of us are not in the same cage you're in.
May the Lord set you free from slavery in Jesus name

You sound like somebody who was once a Christian but later fled when you could no longer cope with the strict conditions that is required to make heaven. If not why first insulting a person for barring his mind in a science and technology thread if you claim you know Christ. You better retrace your steps and return to Christ and ask for forgiveness or else you are hell fire bound. You should rather spend your time preaching the gospel instead of wasting it bashing the activities of the church and it's men of God. Who made you the judge
Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by wirinet(m): 6:04pm On Jul 09, 2019
tsfisheriesm:
Igbo is naturally blessed, give us this nation and it's wealth to manage in one decade this place will be first world country
What of the billions of naira managed by your governors and local government chairmen, is there any state that looks like second world in the south east or local government that looks like Dublin?

1 Like

Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by lordatkinson07(m): 6:38pm On Jul 09, 2019
This is a welcome development for IBOs and Nigeria as a whole. INNONSON should key into this development and make sure that foreign bodies do not high Jack the package from our local industries.

Meanwhile, a group is busy causing havoc in the country while another group is busy developing it. Very soon, leader of the former will soon come out and start asking again while their side is backward and the other is developed.
Re: 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) by Mac2016(m): 6:39pm On Jul 09, 2019
University Of Nigeria Unveils First Five-seater Electric Car, Christened It 'Lion Ozumba 551'

Improving on the automobile industry in the country would help create more employment and reduce huge amount of money used in importing cars into the country.

BY SAHARAREPORTERS, NEW YORKJUL 09, 2019

It was excitement galore at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) yesterday as the institution’s Engineering Faculty successfully unveiled its first five-seater electric car.

Christened Lion Ozumba 551, the car, made with 80 percent locally-sourced materials, could undertake a 30-kilometer distance when fully charged.

Vice Chancellor of the university, Professor Charles Igwe, said the car was part of the drive to accord innovation and technology the highest attention to reposition the institution for greater heights. He commended the immediate past Vice Chancellor, Professor Benjamin Ozumba, who he said laid the foundation for innovation and technology upon which the car dream was realised.

“I feel happy that I inherited a strong institution from Ozumba and I promise to consolidate on his achievements,” he said.

Director-general, National Automotive Design and Development Council (NADDC), Mr. Jelani Aliyu, also commended the university for the stride, urging other institutions in the country to give priority to technology and innovation.

He disclosed that the council had on February 6, 2019, invited UNN, University of Lagos (UNILAG), Usman Danfolio University, Sokoto (UDUSOK) and the Metrological Institute to make proposals on how to produce electric cars in the country, adding that he was elated that it had become reality.

Aliyu, who was represented by Director of Finance and Accounts, David Oyetunji, said improving on the automobile industry in the country would help create more employment and reduce huge amount of money used in importing cars into the country. He also commended UNN for the recent production of the gasification plant that uses organic waste to generate electricity.

Responding, Ozumba said he was overwhelmed when he was invited to witness the unveiling of the electric car, which was initiated by his administration. “When I came on board, I said we need innovation and technology to be at par with China, United States, Sweden and other developed countries of the world.

“That was why I provided the resources and encouragement for innovation and technology because I believe that is one of the ways we can improve our country’s economy. “It was part of my desire to improve UNN’s and Nigeria’s economy and boost the country’s foreign exchange earnings,” he said.

Earlier, coordinator of UNN Medtronic team that produced the car, Ozoemena Ani, affirmed that it was produced with 80 per cent local materials, adding that it would go 30 kilometres when fully charged, The Guardian reports.

http://saharareporters.com/2019/07/09/university-nigeria-unveils-first-five-seater-electric-car-christened-it-lion-ozumba-551

Shameless Country always promoting mediocrity. See the shapeless thing a varsity, with so-called learned academics, are promoting and they see this as applausible.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FRSC Vehicles Commissioned By Abdulrahman Dambazzau (Photos) / Panic As Vehicle Goes Up In Flames On Lagos Highway. Photos / No Going Back On Planned Enforcement Of New Licence, Plate Numbers – FRSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.