Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,777 members, 7,798,597 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:01 AM

My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate (108345 Views)

My Lexus RX 300 Is Consuming Lots Of Fuel, I Need Help,forum!!! / HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. / What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by omat1280: 12:49pm On Dec 02, 2018
I just delt with my problem now few minutes ago as it's same issue with urs.First thing to do before u change ur radiator is to take the thermostart off and observe it,that was how i delt with my and the issue is over.If the thermostart is not working properly the hot water coming from the engine goes to the radiator to cool up again and ready for activation but the thermostat does not allow the cool water go quickly to the engine as required so that delay makes the hot water to discharge from the reserve without overheating sign and by the time it will take the water to the engine there will be no water left in the reserve and the reserve be comes empty.So pls take the thermostat off.

3 Likes

Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by obekediamondfuto(m): 11:58pm On Dec 02, 2018
omat1280:
I just delt with my problem now few minutes ago as it's same issue with urs.First thing to do before u change ur radiator is to take the thermostart off and observe it,that was how i delt with my and the issue is over.If the thermostart is not working properly the hot water coming from the engine goes to the radiator to cool up again and ready for activation but the thermostat does not allow the cool water go quickly to the engine as required so that delay makes the hot water to discharge from the reserve without overheating sign and by the time it will take the water to the engine there will be no water left in the reserve and the reserve be comes empty.So pls take the thermostat off.

why not change the thermostat? seems more thorough to me! because the finger is paining u, u yank it off? no... u fix it

funny enough, if u go to ladipo where they butcher scrap imported vehicles..... they will gladly give it to u 2 dispose
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:55am On Dec 03, 2018
pannyman:
I drive a 1999 Toyota Camry, V6. A great and truly reliable car. I however noticed about 3 weeks ago one morning that the plastic container that contains the radiator coolant was completely empty. This was rather odd because usually it only depletes at a very slow rate and I used to top it with water like once a month. When I found it empty I topped it with water and later in the evening on my way from work I stopped over at a filling station and bought coolant, drained the little water left in the plastic container and filled it with coolant. Two days later I discovered it was empty again! Very unusual, so I bought coolant and filled up again.

Two days later the coolant dried up and the radiator was short of fluid. I looked everywhere under the bonnet for sign of leakage but there was none. It would have been easy to locate a source of leakage because of the blue colour of the coolant. I took it to the mechanic and he opened the hoses connected to the radiator and bled the fluid and filled the radiator. He was not sure whether it was the thermostat or water pump that is the problem. He asked me to observe it for a while and see whether the problem would persist. The problem has persisted and I have to top up the radiator everyday, old-school style and it's embarrassing. I have a suspicion the water is leaking into the engine.

Please guys, if any of you has experienced this kind of wahala, kindly share your experience and how you overcame it. I intend to take the car back to the mechanic next weekend, but not before my great Nairalanders have given me a clue as to what is causing this loss of water.

PS. The temperature guage does not indicate abnormal temperature or overheating.

maybe you have found a solution already but there is my two cents dont rush in buying a radiator before finding were the leak is from

me being a mechanic, simple investigation goes like this, you buy a UV dye that you pour into coolant system, werever its leaking from the UV dye will show under UV light

this will save you from buying unessary things due to hearsay of how individuals got there out problem solved

what if the leak is not from radiator but other pipes
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by ceejay675(m): 10:52am On Feb 06, 2019
Please guys I need advice... I top water on my coolant reserve everyday... The mechanic said I should change the radiator which I did but it still persist..now he said my top gasket is bad... That I should change it... Am not comfortable with that idea..
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by Twonaira1: 6:43pm On Aug 22, 2019
Fixed or not?
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by mygame: 8:35pm On Aug 22, 2019
Change radiator cover n c if there would be any changes
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by izaac23(m): 10:08pm On Aug 27, 2019
How much u dey buy the water? Give am water to drink my brother...abi una no get borehole
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by Paulagada: 3:44pm On Oct 23, 2020
mygame:
Change radiator cover n c if there would be any changes
My mechanic have washed my radiator and changed the cover but the problem still persist
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by Elsueno: 4:18pm On Oct 24, 2020
Enough coolant for a car is like 3k, once e enter correctly, you will need like 1~2 years before you drain and refill. So I honestly don't see the point of checking and refilling radiator with water like almost everyday.

Water might be free, but the time you waste topping ain't
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by ariesbull: 5:46pm On Oct 24, 2020
It's water pump issue
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by ariesbull: 5:47pm On Oct 24, 2020
ceejay675:
Please guys I need advice... I top water on my coolant reserve everyday... The mechanic said I should change the radiator which I did but it still persist..now he said my top gasket is bad... That I should change it... Am not comfortable with that idea..

My brother.... The first thing is check and change you're water pump.... If it's bad, it leaks water
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by Chukwujohn(m): 3:01am On Oct 27, 2020
Dear op,has the issue been solved kindly contact me on WhatsApp 07026487133
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by thowbie7ven(m): 10:30am On Jan 21, 2023
ceejay675:
So what did you eventually do? I'm also having a similar issue...please how did you solve this? Hoping to hear from you soon
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by Tdunga: 11:56am On Jan 21, 2023
C class 180 99 model,automatic transmission, my gear is not selecting,took it a mechanic,we changed the oil, cleaned the fitter,still the same thing,I went to buy another complete gear box,fixed after 6 months into the new gear the same issue came up,but early this year,it selects to from 1 -2 gear,atimes it will not move at all when put it at drive or reverse,what could be the issue?my gear is electrical gear
Tanx
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by Tdunga: 5:52pm On Jan 22, 2023
77. Tdunga: Quote Post
C class 180 99 model,automatic transmission, my gear is not selecting,took it a mechanic,we changed the oil, cleaned the fitter,still the same thing,I went to buy another complete gear box,fixed after 6 months into the new gear the same issue came up,but early this year,it selects to from 1 -2 gear,atimes it will not move at all when put it at drive or reverse,what could be the issue?my gear is electrical gear
Tanx
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by Itulah(m): 11:44am On Jan 23, 2023
Check your radiator cap or cover.
I do radiator coolant change manually once every year while changing engine oil.
I just got back from a Christmas and new year holiday, with over 2700Km round trip covered and water is still at the same level it is for the past 9month. What am trying to tell you is: Toping up your coolant once every month like you mention is a sign of defect that later progressed to this stage you are now.

Start diagnostic from lowest cost by changing radiator cap.

Best of luck.
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by Itulah(m): 12:10pm On Jan 23, 2023
omat1280:

Uncle, THERMOSTAT is a very important component in every cooling or heating system. Vehicle need the thermostat to regulate the flow of water to and from the engine. Without it, the engine will take so much time to reach the required temperature needed for optimum performance. The heat your engine is generating while running is needed especially at cold start (early morning) to boil engine and transmission oil to at least 85-90°C. At this level, the oil is boiled and tin enough to lubricate every hidden component in the engine especially at the camshaft area.

Engine that runs too cold burns a lot of fuel.
Engine that runs too hot burns a lot of oil.
The above can happen if THERMOSTAT is absent from your engine, cause what it does it to keep your engine temperature at 85-90°C for smooth and economical operations.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online / 2020 Mercedes Benz AVTR Unveiled: Breaks Car Record With Its Looks / Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.