Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,304 members, 7,808,031 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:36 AM

Who Determines The Quality Of Nigerian Music : The Fans Or The Musicians? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Who Determines The Quality Of Nigerian Music : The Fans Or The Musicians? (253 Views)

The Top Artists Majorly Involved In The Promotion Of Nigerian Music To The World / 7 Women Working Behind The Scenes, Contributing To The Growth Of Nigerian Music / Who Determines The Quality Of Nigerian Music : The Fans Or The Musicians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Determines The Quality Of Nigerian Music : The Fans Or The Musicians? by DoubleSixMUZIK(m): 2:16pm On Jul 09, 2019
WHO DETERMINES THE QUALITY OF NIGERIAN MUSIC : THE FANS OR THE MUSICIANS?

We all enjoy listening to good Nigerian music, regardless of its genre. Generally, we enjoy music mainly because of the way it makes us feel, or the mood it can put us in. Music can speak the languages of anger, love, motivation, happiness and grief.

Basically, music sends out a message, and it’s up to the listener to accept or reject that message. This of course depends on what you want to hear at certain points in your life.

Speaking on the general, or overall quality of mainstream music in Nigeria, I personally think the quality of its content has taken a nosedive! This begs the question – Who determines the quality of Nigerian music that is being released into the market, the fans or the musicians?

I assume that when mainstream or upcoming Nigerian artistes go to the studio to produce their next song, they keep the current trends of Nigerian music in mind. They would probably ask their producer to make a beat that will suit the latest dance steps and street slangs (Zanku, Gbe body e!)

Understanding the market is important, but don’t you think the listeners want something else? Maybe they don’t, cos I also assume that if they did, they’d shun releases that sound just like the other 10,000 songs out there. Hmm?

Do Nigerian artistes still have creative freedom? Are their crafts now solely determined by what trends

Speaking of trends, I saw a picture online of a church chorister doing the “Soapy” dance during service, lol. I can bet that there are many Nigerian artistes out there right now planning to make a new song that follows the “Soapy” trend.

I am a capitalist 100% and I love to see people use their skills legitimately to make money, even if I am not “buying” what they are “selling”. No beef whatsoever. On the other hand, I am also a true music lover who grew up listening to the best of them.

I believe you can only buy what you see in the market, I also believe people who go to the market already know what they want to buy. If they don’t find what they are looking for, they may settle for something else or just forget about the whole thing and go home.

So, as far as Nigerian music, Nigerian artistes, and Nigerian fans are concerned, who determines the quality of music being released into the market?

I’ll leave you guys to it.

THIS IS AN ORIGINAL ARTICLE WRITTEN BY Amechi "Double Six" Okoli. I am a music producer, writer, voiceover artiste and media content creator.

Instagram/Twitter - @doublesixbeats

#nigerianmusic #nigerianartistes #nigerianmusicindustry #nigerianproducers #nigerianfans #nigerianmusiclovers #nigerianart #nigerianstudios #naijamusic #naijajams #naijajamz #naijacelebrities #nigeriancelebrities #bbnaija2019
Re: Who Determines The Quality Of Nigerian Music : The Fans Or The Musicians? by hahn(m): 2:19pm On Jul 09, 2019
Fans. You can only sell what sells.

You don't expect a population that cannot read the epistle you wrote up there to buy an album with too much lyrics. You want make their head blow? undecided

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Who Determines The Quality Of Nigerian Music : The Fans Or The Musicians? by DoubleSixMUZIK(m): 5:25pm On Jul 09, 2019
hahn:
Fans. You can only sell what sells.

You don't expect a population that cannot read the epistle you wrote up there to buy an album with too much lyrics. You want make their head blow? undecided

Quality music doesn't necessarily mean "too much lyrics" as you pointed out. Tuface Idibia makes quality music and his lyrics are very understandable, even for the semi literates.
Re: Who Determines The Quality Of Nigerian Music : The Fans Or The Musicians? by thepartyforum(m): 9:14am On Jul 10, 2019
Are you a Gospel song writer or an upcoming Gospel musician? AGE is a place for you to showcase your talent and become a star. WhatsApp 08100044988,if interested or join via this link :
https:///Ftu5h25IFjvDiWlha8DigV

Re: Who Determines The Quality Of Nigerian Music : The Fans Or The Musicians? by murpash1: 6:41pm On Jul 10, 2019
the soapy dance is becoming a wave let just stop talking about it it will die if it is not good see this young boy dance it so well then even the creator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7ScVTtExTY

(1) (Reply)

Notrace Drops ‘bigger Than’ Collabo With Patoranking / DOWNLOAD MP3: Adeboi Ft. Razor – Nigboro (on Street) / [music] Tonekriss Ft. Dopsyflow – Leave Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.