Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,713 members, 7,805,945 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:54 AM

Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists (13219 Views)

Buhari Writes Senate, Seeks Amendment Of PIA / Senate Seeks Revival Of Almajiri Schools Built By Former President Jonathan / Unemployment: Senate Seeks Payment Of Stipends To Jobless Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by RTSC: 8:18am On Jul 10, 2019
shogsman:
Yet the same Senate sees nothing wrong in underage marriage, delusional old people.
Very true.

There is no unified age of consent.

What is rape in the south may not be rape in the north.
Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by BigBashiru: 8:32am On Jul 10, 2019
989900:
Stoopid, have they taken into consideration false allegations and borderline consent/boderline forced sex/female fetishism/BDSM, etc.?

So, technically, we're all going to need email/token/text messages/WhatsApp chats, etc. confirmation before 'panashuku'? And if that gets deleted or lost, you're fxcked (pun unintended).

Stiffer-stiffer penalties? Yes.

Special trial for underage rape cases? Yes.

Anonymous reporting and police officers reorientation about handling rape cases? Yes.

Death penalty? No.

The incidences of real rapes are far more than the incidences of false allegations.

Moreover the allegation needs to be proven in court....
Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by delawal: 8:39am On Jul 10, 2019
let them start with their fellow Abboo abi Ishiaku
Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by Nobody: 8:53am On Jul 10, 2019
umahi88:

The Senate on Wednesday expressed worry over the increasing incidences of rape of women and defilement of minors in parts of the country.

Senators resolved that application of death penalty to offenders would go a long way to serve as a deterrent to the menace.

Apart from death penalty for rape offenders, the lawmakers also underscored the necessity to review relevant laws as well as open registers for rape offenders in parts of the country.

The resolution followed the adoption of a motion on increasing cases of rape, sponsored by Senator Rose Oko.

The Cross River North Senator, asked the Senate to take the lead by reviewing existing laws to discourage the trend.

Oko called attention to several alleged rape cases, including the one allegedly by the Pastor of Commonwealth of Zion Assembly (COZA), Biodun Fatoyinbo.

The worrisome trend of rape cases, she said, has become a national problem that should worry the Senate.

Senator George Thompson Sekibo, in his contribution noted that prescribing death penalty for offenders, would not only serve as deterrent but would also ensure that justice is served.

Sekibo encouraged parents to report rape cases as soon as they occur to enable relevant security agencies take the appropriate steps to apprehend the culprits.

He said: “When an abuse of such a situation takes place, let the parents report the issue to the police or you come to the Senate.

“I leant that when a rape case takes place, the private part should not be washed. They should go to the hospital and take the sample.

“To abuse a child of six months, is evil. No religion will take it. We should make it a death penalty. By the time you kill two people, people would have leant and they will stop it.”

Senator Dino Melaye agreed that drastic measures should be taken against rapists.

The Kogi West Senator noted that if stiffer penalty is prescribed, people will stop the act.

Melaye said: “This issue is not only satanic, it is also wicked. This is one of the satanic manifestations in the country. If we don’t propose stiffer punishment, people will continue to get away with it.

“When you report a case to the police, they treat it as if it is ordinary. Lecturers carry out sex for marks. I want to encourage the sponsor of this motion to go ahead and come up with amendments to deal with this barbaric act.

“There are now cases of male adults defiling small boys. These things must be cured and the Senate must take the lead in ensuring that this doesn’t continue in this country.”

Senator Oluremi Tinubu in her contribution also backed the death penalty proposal.

The Lagos Central lawmaker who was alarmed about increasing rate of the defilement of minors urged parents to take steps to educate their children on sexual awareness.

She said, “The issue is very controversial and scary. As a mother, if our children were the ones violated, we know what would have happened. If we look at the society at large, we have not done anything.

“Children are the most vulnerable group. Whoever is involved in acts like this, should face death. I think rape of a minor deserves a death sentence. This is what we need to do to stop this madness.

“Most of these acts are done by people close to these minors. This is time we stepped in as a Senate and protect this country

“Parents too should be given the orientation too on now to raise their children. Poverty is a major cause of this and we need to educate the parents to reduce this.”

Senator Aliyu Sabi Abdullahi also urged relevant agencies to establish a sex register for offenders.

The Niger North Senator said that opening a register for sex offenders would go a long way to discourage the act.

He said: “When these offences are committed, what happens? The lack of stiffer punishment is a major issue we must look at. From examples cited, we must make progress. It is time for us to look at our laws and put sex or rape offenders on a register anywhere in the country.

“The psychological effects can’t be understood. Some adults behaving in certain manners are victims of these acts when they were minors.”

Deputy Senate President, Senator Ovie Omo-Agege, prayed the Senate to look at sentencing guidelines.

Omo-Agege said, “The challenges articulated are very apt. We have enough laws to deal with the issues. The area we should look at is sentencing guidelines. There should be a minimum sentencing timeline, it will help.

“We need to look at the status regulating the prerogative of mercy. We have governors and state chief judges setting free prisoners. I believe we should focus on these areas. We should have the sex offenders register.”

The lawmakers generally agreed that urgent steps should be taken to save the country from rapists.

They also agreed that when constituted, the Senate committee on Judiciary, Police and others related, will push for the implementation of extant laws on rape of women and defilement of minors.

The relevant Senate committees, when constituted, were asked to review relevant legislations on rape.

The Senate further urged the Police to deal decisively with all cases of sexual abuse as a way to stem the tide.

The upper chamber was also worried that only 26, out of 36 states of the federation have so far domesticated the Child Rights Act.......Continue reading: https://www.newsvib.com/2019/07/rape-nigeria-senate-seeks-death-penalty-for-rapists.html

First of all, enact laws that will protect rape victims
Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by higgs: 8:53am On Jul 10, 2019
Hmm,well,there should also be death penalty for those who falsely accuse others of rape.
Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by ceejay80s(m): 8:56am On Jul 10, 2019
kelvxyn:
Issokay. I hope some ladies doesn't take this as an advantage against men. Maybe their crush and men who has refused to date or marry den. Out of jealousy...
Death sentence suld b strictly for pedophiles

Its easy, it was mentioned that the rape case must be reported immediately, and the vagina must not be washed, the sperm and forceful Penetration will show but if e pass that day and u go baff and clean up, then she's lying

1 Like

Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by Nobody: 9:00am On Jul 10, 2019
pocohantas:
Very nice, if it is confirmed that the accused is actually guilty. Especially those ones caught abusing minors.

I see no reason why they should be given long sentences while being fed with my tax. grin

In the absence of that, I will take laws into my hands...

And that is the problem

Too many people have been falsely accused and convicted of rape. It's an epidemic in the UK, where chicks get buyers remorse after one night stands and start shouting rape.
Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by cowardafonja: 9:01am On Jul 10, 2019
janettee:

I really find it laughable, I don't think people who mention false rape accusations know how many people who are convicted of rape in Nigeria alone. You can't compare false rape accusations to real rape cases.

Each day there's a case of rape involving a minor but somehow false rape accusations which aren't even that much should be the focus.

You are not wise. While we agree that rapists should be punished, false accusers should be punished with equal measure. Who told you that the incidents you are referring to were not made up? How did you know some of them were not false? Do you know that women rape men too? Let them make strict laws but balanced ones so that some frustrated ladies don't take advantage of that to start killing off men.

2 Likes

Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by princeade86(m): 9:02am On Jul 10, 2019
both men and women abi ?
Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by princeade86(m): 9:05am On Jul 10, 2019
ceejay80s:

Its easy, it was mentioned that the rape case must be reported immediately, and the vagina must not be washed, the sperm and forceful Penetration will show but if e pass that day and u go baff and clean up, then she's lying
u get sense my brother. that's how it shud be so that we wunt witness 20yrs rape again.

1 Like

Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by Stephendeals: 9:06am On Jul 10, 2019
Death penalty should also be given to anyone who is proven to accused someone falsely of rape!

Reactive governance, reactant populace.

Create a balance law not just make laws by impose.

Grand scale corruption should also attract death penalty as they looters are raping the masses.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by King44(m): 9:13am On Jul 10, 2019
Including false rape? what about punishment for false accusers?!!!
Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by anonymous1759(m): 9:15am On Jul 10, 2019
.... Death penalty should be given to women who accuse men wrongly too because women can wrongfully accuse men too, some women can be very mean.
Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by Nobody: 9:20am On Jul 10, 2019
My suggestion is ....if you rape a minor from 15years down to months old baby and the evidence is established ,you should be castrated without wasting any time, ,simple but if its from 16 years upward ,thorough investigation should be done to establish its not a false claim,if the rape is true ,castration straight but if it's a false claim, death sentence straight on the accuser.......I BET YOU THAT IF THESE ARE APPLIED, IN MATTER OF MONTHS WE WILL ALL SAY BYE BYE TO RAPE ISSUE
Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by Henrichemeka(m): 9:24am On Jul 10, 2019
And what penalty for all the public servant who stole or are stilling our money
Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by Nobody: 9:32am On Jul 10, 2019
ornicus:

And that is the problem

Too many people have been falsely accused and convicted of rape. It's an epidemic in the UK, where chicks get buyers remorse after one night stands and start shouting rape.

If they can find a way to curtail that, they should go ahead and kill the guilty. grin
Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by kelvxyn: 9:32am On Jul 10, 2019
What if d man doesn't release? Or used condom for d rape. And in case of false rape, there must cctv to prove. Somebody cannot be sentenced to death for what he didn't commit abeg.
ceejay80s:

Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by Nobody: 9:33am On Jul 10, 2019
Very good plan all these dogs walking around Nigerian men will learn their lesson

1 Like

Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by Lovelive: 9:36am On Jul 10, 2019
ChyChy17:
Are youva rapist? Just asking......
Learn how to be logical and objective not subjective.
Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by Usanga35: 9:52am On Jul 10, 2019
If so.....All men will be killed.....Cos women Can lie for Life....one day a girl will wake up and say ...ur father raped me....meanwhile she has had her false witness(her friend) by her side.....tell me how will dat be...

1 Like

Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by Awoleesu(m): 9:52am On Jul 10, 2019
taniolodo:
Still very hot!!!

USA used laptops at affordable price & warranty

only serious buyers...

You get Macbook Pro?
Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by Brightest04(m): 9:52am On Jul 10, 2019
Nice and good one if passed.
Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by Dayvid2(m): 9:56am On Jul 10, 2019
And when the senators are the one accused of rape, they will just review the bill
Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by Usanga35: 9:58am On Jul 10, 2019
Also women should also dress well not half naked and trousers showing their butts so men can high......dis also triggers rape...dont u know??,,
Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by Usanga35: 10:09am On Jul 10, 2019
Also any woman/girl dat rape man too should be killed ..
If a man says I AM NOT IN D MOOD. and d girl still forces herself and climb d man ..should be killed...
Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by Iziquiel(m): 10:34am On Jul 10, 2019
janettee:

We are talking about Nigeria not the US!.
I personally don't think 'false rape accusation' is a thing in Nigeria. I'm sorry about that 'someone' who was falsely accused.

This has nothing to do with emotions or logic. Daily, there are cases of rape in Nigeria especially ones involving minors.

But false rape accusations are hardly ever seen, why is that so?.

I haven't heard/seen someone go to jail cause they were falsely accused of rape, I mean real rapists are hardly convicted in Nigeria.
Stop being emotional, that you've not seen or heard of anyone that was wrongly convicted on false rape accusation doesn't mean it has not happened. People are rotting away in jail for things they knew nothing about. He referred you to Neymar's rape case but you didn't see any sense in it because you're just being emotional.
If there's death penalty for rape especially those who rape minor same should be applied to anyone who falsely accuse anybody of rape.
Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by Iziquiel(m): 10:36am On Jul 10, 2019
Tabuku:
We can now testify and truly see that this country is going into Islamization. Jesus. Death penalty for rape.. what of political thief’s, stealing electorate right?
Wetin Islamization get to do with this matter?
Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by jimmyLd101: 10:47am On Jul 10, 2019
Xisnin:

Who are those who raise false allegations?
How do you know it is false allegation?
How many people are convicted of rape each year?
Bro false rape is common most girls does that when you don't give them more than once.Quote me very well

1 Like

Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by Xisnin(m): 10:53am On Jul 10, 2019
jimmyLd101:
Bro false rape is common most girls does that when you don't give them more than once.Quote me very well
Why are you not in jail already?
I mean, of all the girls you have been with, one of them should have reported you for rape.
I don't think you understand the full meaning of "most".
If you are right, police will have no other job than filing rape cases.
The truth is that people hardly report rape.
If in doubt, go enquire from your nearest police station or google NBS stats on
crime compare to fighting, stealing or robbery.
Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by jimmyLd101: 10:59am On Jul 10, 2019
Xisnin:

Why are you not in jail already?
I mean, of all the girls you have been with, one of them should have reported you for rape.
I don't think you understand the full meaning of "most".
If you are right, police will have no other job than filing rape cases.
The truth is that people hardly report rape.
If in doubt, go enquire from your nearest police station or google NBS stats on
crime compare to fighting, stealing or robbery.
But that doesn't change the fact that girls fake rape story too. I want to ask are you in prison already to know all these
Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by themanderon: 11:03am On Jul 10, 2019
How I wish the crooks can also pass laws that treasury looters will face death by beheading but they can't cos they know all of them will be risking their necks. Rubbish.
Re: Rape: Nigeria Senate Seeks Death Penalty For Rapists by GenFunction: 11:11am On Jul 10, 2019
i agree ....its becoming too much

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance / Tribunal Upholds Election Of Alex Otti As Governor Of Abia / 'Buhari, Bring Back Our Roads' - Tayo Ogunbiyi (Punch)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.