Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,980 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:25 PM

How To Protect Your Movie Script - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / How To Protect Your Movie Script (442 Views)

I Will Write A Professional Movie Script For You / I Will Write A Professional Movie Script For You / Script-writing For Nollywood: For All Upcoming Nollywood Movie Script-writers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Protect Your Movie Script by VcStunner(m): 6:35am On Jul 10, 2019
Experience is the best teacher and I totally agree, but a wise man once told me that you don't have to wait until you can learn from YOUR own experience. It's too costly... he says. Learning from other people's experience is the cheapest, less harmful and most generous way to learn. For starters, let me make it absolutely clear that you can not protect an idea, oh please don't fool yourself alright? There is no point trying to hide an idea, it flies around freely looking for the best mind that is willing to accept it and express it. If it comes to you, it is because you were found worthy, so don't lazy around looking for your laptop charger. Find a way to let it out, and make sure to take all the credit. Which brings us to why I'm writing this piece.
When someone says "send in your synopsis, we will choose the best 5 and contact them", I know the Nollywood and whole Nigeria entertainment industry too well and chances are that the person on the other side of that circular is a lazy rogue writer who is only out to get the best story ideas and walk. Do not fall for it! Some even go as far as telling you "Not less than 1000 words"... like seriously? Your synopsis is your idea in summary and you are about to give it away in too many details! Although Nigerian copyright law does not need you to register anywhere, but and I quote... "as soon as an original work is reduced to fixed and tangible form, it is automatically copyrightable" says the law. What does that even mean guys? Anyway, here are a few simple steps on how you can protect your screenplay;
i. Do not submit a synopsis to just anyone!! And if Africa Magic requests for it? Well, send them a 250 words two-paragraphed synopsis.
ii. Use the updated version of Microsoft Word to create your Nollywood play. In that way, it is always possible to check and find the original author and date of creation of that material if you ever need it in court or in any form of arbitration.
iii. Any material you are sending out, always indicate that you are the original owner by using the copyright format below your text. You have seen something like this before "(C) All rights reserved". I will show you how it's done in MS Words.

Read the full article here https://vhfilm..com/2019/07/how-to-protect-your-screenplay.html

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

90 Day Fiance Series / What Are Your Top 5 Favorite American TV Series ??? / Bbnaija: Eric Expresses Shock Over Lilo’s Comment On Their Relationship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.