Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,324 members, 7,808,085 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:56 AM

A Scam Format Was Tried On Me Today - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / A Scam Format Was Tried On Me Today (5113 Views)

What's Wrong With People? This Whatsapp Scam Format Is Stupid. / New Scam Format In Naija Currently!!! / Israeli Yahoo Boy Arrested In Greece - Check Out His Scam Format (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Scam Format Was Tried On Me Today by hopefulLandlord: 1:21pm On Jul 10, 2019
I was out and about minding my business, as usual. I didn't pay any attention to my phone and forgot to remove the silent mode I put it yesternight before sleeping which made me miss several incoming calls. at some point I checked my phone and a particular strange number caught my attention. after calling those I knew back I called the strange number and the person at the other line picked and asked how I am saying God bless me. Naturally, I asked who's speaking and who does he want to speak with to which he replied with my "middle" name which is very strange because literally NOBODY calls me by that not my friends, not my parent, not my siblings, not my neighbors etc. he said he the senior pastor of my church and mentioned the name of the pastor which checked out as its the name of my parent's church's senior pastor. he asked why can't I recognise his number asking why I've deleted his number with a hint of disappointment and anger to his tone which made me apologise saying I've changed my phones a couple of times and almost all numbers didn't survive the change. that part was strange though because I don't remember having his number at all even when I was still attending his church.

I thought this pastor was about to ask me why he hasn't been seeing me in church for years now so I had already thought of what I'd say to that only for him to ask me "how's work?". I replied that work's fine but I no longer stay in the area he last saw me that I'd moved away from my father's house for years now which is why I haven't been to his church for aeons now. he said my friends in church told him and he hope I'm truly fine.

He then asked if I get a side business with my "work" I'd be able to handle it. I felt a bit uneasy but I was curious about this business idea and "what could be bad in doing some other things with my businesses?". he then told me I should get a pen and paper for me to take the number of a woman that's looking for a HONEST business partner, that she has a contract to supply something but needs a partner. I took the number and called it. The person on the other line then explained about one Alhaji that wants to buy 50 Gallons some product called Durad 150 used in purifying Gas and Oil, she said the product is imported from Germany. she added that the Alhaji is coming to Lagos today by 2PM to buy it but she's not in Lagos as she's in Porthacourt and she doesn't want the Alhaji to know where the product is coming from so the Alhaji would meet me at the airport, pay me the money which I'd then use to buy the product for Alhaji then split the profit on top 50-50 which I'd send her her own share but first she'd send me the number of the importer of the product so I can find out the present price with which we'd know the profit margin. she concluded by asking if I can handle this which I saw as an ego question. I replied to the affirmative. I dropped the call

Few seconds later I got the text below

Contractor name: Alhaji Usman ldris, Product name, DURAD-150(use for Purification of Gas and Oil), made in Germany, needed 50 galloons, company name, Divine Grace oil Serv. Nig. Ltd. 9, Alh. Amusan st., Agbara lnd. estate, Agbara, Lagos. Manager name Mr. Bright tel: 08171455080 call him for price enqr. and call me bk thks

At this point I was almost sure it was a scam as there's nothing stopping her calling the importer to find out the current price of this Durad 150. so I decided to bust it open by leading the first caller, my parent's pastor, on. I called him and gave him the update on the contract he's talking about, I even said I'd pay 20% of what I make from this to him, 10% as tithe and 10% as gift to him to which he showered me with prayer. I then asked if he's still pastoring at TREM where he's been over the years and he said yes and he's still at the branch. I said I'm surprised he hasn't been transfered after all these years and he said its how God wants it, he added that he went for a CAN conference but he'd be back by Saturday and he'd head the service for this Sunday.

at this point I knew it was a scam as none of my family members ever attended TREM! but I decided to lead them on. a strange call came in again and he said he's Alhaji Idris and he was told that I'm to meet him at the airport. I said yes and he asked if I have the product to which I said yes again. he then said he'd need to see a sample first before he can pay that I should bring one gallon first, after he's tested it he'd then pay for the 50 gallons which I'd go bring for him. I said its okay, called the supplier who said they only sell in large quantities but gallon is 300,000. I gave the woman the report and she said I should negotiate it that it shouldn't be more than 200K. I played along and the man agreed 250,000. I then told the woman to call the Alhaji to send money for 1 gallon first which I would take to buy that sample to which she said the Alhaji won't and that if I have the money I should buy it then I'd just buy 49 when Alhaji pays me for the 50 gallons. I asked why she can't send the supplier the money? she said she has channelled all her cash into other endeavours and questioned my ability to handle big businesses if I can't raise just 250K. I then agreed to pay for the sample

interesting! from then on I just kept playing all the four callers saying I'm heading to the address he gave me to buy the sample. calls upon calls upon calls keep coming in and they still haven't figured I already know the game

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Scam Format Was Tried On Me Today by hopefulLandlord: 1:35pm On Jul 10, 2019
This is a very organized crime format designed to suck in the gullible and greedy. every number that called me throughout this story are all in on it from the fake pastor to the woman to the Alhaji to the supplier. its all so smooth

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Scam Format Was Tried On Me Today by hopefulLandlord: 1:46pm On Jul 10, 2019
just used the Nairaland search bar and it appears this scam format is at least 6 years old judging by the below thread

www.nairaland.com.com/1158945/new-fraud-town-samarium-care

here's a picture of the "product" uploaded by, probably, someone who fell for the scam.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Scam Format Was Tried On Me Today by Hoodbilonia: 1:48pm On Jul 10, 2019
Normally i wud redirect dia nos to sars

1 Like

Re: A Scam Format Was Tried On Me Today by hopefulLandlord: 1:50pm On Jul 10, 2019
Hoodbilonia:
Normally i wud redirect dia nos to sars
forgive my ignorance
How can I contact SARS?
Re: A Scam Format Was Tried On Me Today by Hoodbilonia: 1:51pm On Jul 10, 2019
Nearest police station in your community
Or carry am give state cid or efcc
hopefulLandlord:

forgive my ignorance
How can I contact SARS?
Re: A Scam Format Was Tried On Me Today by hahn(m): 6:01am On Jul 11, 2019
hopefulLandlord:
This is a very organized crime format designed to suck in the gullible and greedy. every number that called me throughout this story are all in on it from the fake pastor to the woman to the Alhaji to the supplier. its all so smooth

Lol. This is an old format. They, pastor(all pastors are fake)/alhaji/supplier are all sitting down in an "office" somewhere.

The last time I got such a call the dude said he knew me from Lawanson blah blah blah.

He said he was now working in PH and needed someone that can contact one lady blah blah blah.

All the while I was acting like I was trying to recollect who he was and at one point I was like, "how is your sister na? I heard she died of HIV" then I said "how about your mother? I heard she was raped severely" and "I heard your brother was shot dead".

You won't believe this idiot just kept on ranting and was telling me he would send me the lady's number to call her. I no even mind am.

grin

7 Likes

Re: A Scam Format Was Tried On Me Today by dayleke: 10:09am On Jul 11, 2019
hahn:

Lol. This is an old format. They, pastor(all pastors are fake)/alhaji/supplier are all sitting down in an "office" somewhere.

The last time I got such a call the dude said he knew me from Lawanson blah blah blah.

He said he was now working in PH and needed someone that can contact one lady blah blah blah.

All the while I was acting like I was trying to recollect who he was and at one point I was like, "how is your sister na? I heard she died of HIV" then I said "how about your mother? I heard she was raped severely" and "I heard your brother was shot dead".

You won't believe this idiot just kept on ranting and was telling me he would send me the lady's number to call her. I no even mind am.

grin

LOL grin

1 Like

Re: A Scam Format Was Tried On Me Today by PrincessB1(f): 3:03pm On Jul 11, 2019
hahn:

grin
grin grin grin
Re: A Scam Format Was Tried On Me Today by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jul 11, 2019
hahn:

You won't believe this idiot just kept on ranting
and was telling me he would send me the lady's number to call her. I no even mind am.

grin

Lmao

Man on a mission.

Hear no evil...

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Scam Format Was Tried On Me Today by hopefulLandlord: 3:49pm On Jul 11, 2019
hahn:

grin

Hahahaha, so after all the back and forth curses he still wanted to send you the number?
Re: A Scam Format Was Tried On Me Today by hahn(m): 5:18pm On Jul 11, 2019
hopefulLandlord:

Hahahaha, so after all the back and forth curses he still wanted to send you the number?

I swear bomb dey the guy head grin
Re: A Scam Format Was Tried On Me Today by Powerexpert: 10:39am On Jan 08, 2021
One mumu Engr Wale Balogun 08068724921 just called claiming he was a former contract staff of NNPC Apata and he's now in Abuja office. He tried to claim a common point of contact which is false. He claimed someone do supply some items to them for the past 3yrs and now they want to use another supplier. One Alhaji Usman Bello will be lodging in Premier Hotel and I'll be meeting him to fine tune discussion on one Durad 150 from Germany which they use to clean rusted NNPC pipes. I've already changed his truecaller to Durad 150 scammer.
Re: A Scam Format Was Tried On Me Today by ZhiosonWind: 7:18pm On Feb 12, 2021
you are lucky. please kindly report then to the nearest police station.
you will be saving potential victims
Re: A Scam Format Was Tried On Me Today by hopefulLandlord: 8:15am On Feb 13, 2021
Powerexpert:
One mumu Engr Wale Balogun 08068724921 just called claiming he was a former contract staff of NNPC Apata and he's now in Abuja office. He tried to claim a common point of contact which is false. He claimed someone do supply some items to them for the past 3yrs and now they want to use another supplier. One Alhaji Usman Bello will be lodging in Premier Hotel and I'll be meeting him to fine tune discussion on one Durad 150 from Germany which they use to clean rusted NNPC pipes. I've already changed his truecaller to Durad 150 scammer.

Good. it's just very sad that they're still carrying out the scam as that points to the fact that it's working on many others
Re: A Scam Format Was Tried On Me Today by hopefulLandlord: 8:16am On Feb 13, 2021
ZhiosonWind:
you are lucky. please kindly report then to the nearest police station.
you will be saving potential victims

You think Nigeria police would take up the case? Last year I had a case of someone trying to sell an item stolen from me back to me at a price. I reported to the police and would you believe despite the criminal waiting for me at the proposed meeting place the police still wouldn't move an inch? later they said they needed 10,000. I agreed to pay them out of desperation only for them to collect the money and still not move. I had to stall the criminal for hours before they went with me in mufti to arrest the suspect.

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING: Many Children Killed As Bomb Hits Private School In Kano (graphic Pix) / Gay Baboon Terrorises Villagers In South Africa, Rapes 5 Men / Obinna Echianu Sentenced By Hanging For Killing Uber Driver (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.