Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,967 members, 7,799,283 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:28 PM

Do intertribal Marriages work? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do intertribal Marriages work? (1935 Views)

Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL / Intertribal Marriage / Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do intertribal Marriages work? by Nobody: 1:47am On Jul 11, 2019
What's your view on inter-tribal marriages? What's bad about a Ibo marrying a Yoruba? An Ibibio marrying a Ibo? Yoruba marrying an Hausa? Etc

Have heard Yoruba men only like to marry Yoruba women, Ibo guys only like to marry Ibo women....

Can one have a successful marriage with a partner from another tribe?

1 Like

Re: Do intertribal Marriages work? by kunleweb: 3:28am On Jul 11, 2019
Zielle. Tableshaker grin

2 Likes

Re: Do intertribal Marriages work? by liberalchick(f): 3:34am On Jul 11, 2019
I personally don’t think there is anything wrong in marrying someone from a different tribe other than yours.

If you are dealing with your spouse alone, there shouldn’t be a problem with inter-tribal marriages. However, in Nigerian marriages you rarely marry just the individual, you have to marry the tribe too. It’s advisable for women to be much more careful in marrying into a different tribe/culture. There are some tribes that have cultural practices that are not favorable to wives/women. Also, you have to know the answer to “what will be the dominant culture in your marriage?” And be willing to have your children raised in that culture.

For reasons above, most men and women tend to marry into cultures they are familiar with. I see how a Yoruba woman/man would experience culture shock when exposed to Igbo culture. Igbo culture tends to be more conservative than the Yoruba culture. In bigger cities, inter-tribal marriages are much more common.

Yes! There are many successful inter-tribal marriages, it depends on the individual who you are going to marry. I know one example is not a compelling statistic(s), but my mom is a Hausa Muslim married to my Christian dad from Rivers State. My dad was very protective of my mother and he made it very clear to his family that my mom was not to be some punching bag in the guise of “it’s culture”. I am also in an inter-tribal marriage, I married into an amazing Igbo family. I also have Isoko, Igbo, & Yoruba men as my brothers-in-law.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do intertribal Marriages work? by Donald3d(m): 5:58am On Jul 11, 2019
Yes they work...

Any marriage can work.

-The priority is marrying the right person

-Focusing on the right things, the things that matter, like who the person really is.

-Not allowing third party interfere, as harsh as it may sound, your brother, sister, parents are third party...People should learn to put family in their place.It doesn't mean you don't love them, it just necessary for the flourishing of your home.Marriages with excessive interference from family rarely survives, too many people are trying to give their opinion on what is right and what is wrong.

-Being kind and selfless. I have studied a lot of marriages that have blissfully made it past the 15+ year mark. Apart from love, the secret to their success was mostly just kindness and selflessness from both parties..Ironically, that's the real definition of true love, selflessness and kindness, not what people nowadays have turned it into

-People who marry not only from the same tribe but from the same village can still divorce, if they don't focus on the right things.

What's the point of all my epistle ?
Nothing would ruin your marriage except you give it permission to.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Do intertribal Marriages work? by meobizy(f): 4:01pm On Jul 11, 2019
Zielle:
What's your view on inter-tribal marriages? What's bad about a Ibo marrying a Yoruba? An Ibibio marrying a Ibo? Yoruba marrying an Hausa? Etc

Have heard Yoruba men only like to marry Yoruba women, Ibo guys only like to marry Ibo women....

Give me reasons why they won’t work first before I comment properly.

1 Like

Re: Do intertribal Marriages work? by Hugo55(m): 5:46pm On Jul 11, 2019
Yes it does work.
next question pls.

1 Like

Re: Do intertribal Marriages work? by mankettle(m): 5:54pm On Jul 11, 2019
Yes
Re: Do intertribal Marriages work? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jul 11, 2019
Zielle:

I sent you a pm you did not respond.

With regards to the question, I have nothing to say, when you respond to my pm I will let you know what I think .

And by the way I have forgiven you for insulting me the other day. This is the o nly chance we have to kiss and make up. It's up to you now. grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do intertribal Marriages work? by Zuriela: 10:04pm On Jul 11, 2019
The success of any marriage depends on the individuals involved whether inter tribal or same tribe. Yes they will be tribal differences but should be a common ground. I'm Igbo married to a Yoruba and I've been married for 7 +half. It's been blissful. kiss

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do intertribal Marriages work? by Nobody: 4:37am On Jul 12, 2019
meobizy:

Give me reasons why they won’t work first before I comment properly.
Two different languages, families may not accept the union, partner may secretly yearn for someone from his or her tribe.

Zuriela:
The success of any marriage depends on the individuals involved whether inter tribal or same tribe. Yes they will be tribal differences but should be a common ground. I'm Igbo married to a Yoruba and I've been married for 7 +half. It's been blissful. kiss
Wow, awesome shocked

1 Like

Re: Do intertribal Marriages work? by Nobody: 4:44am On Jul 12, 2019
calgaryFriend:

I sent you a pm you did not respond.

With regards to the question, I have nothing to say, when you respond to my pm I will let you know what I think .

And by the way I have forgiven you for insulting me the other day. This is the o nly chance we have to kiss and make up. It's up to you now. grin grin
I saw the PM but purposely not replying wink. You're looking for someone to fight with over PM, yh? undecided

Abeg tell me what you think here undecided

Forgiven me for what insult? Who insulted who? Therefore, who should be apologizing? Yemi park very well. You really are the quintessential Yoruba man. Be the man... apologize first, then I follow. A real man leads... Be a good role model for your siblings Ife, Femi, etc

Aren't you gonna ask how I know your name?

3 Likes

Re: Do intertribal Marriages work? by Nobody: 5:29am On Jul 12, 2019
Zielle:
I saw the PM but purposely not replying wink. You're looking for someone to fight with over PM, yh? undecided

Abeg tell me what you think here undecided

Forgiven me for what insult? Who insulted who? Therefore, who should be apologizing? Yemi park well angry. You really are the quintessential Yoruba man. Be the man and apologize first, then I follow. A real man leads undecided

Aren't you gonna ask how I know your name?

I am not sure what that means but since I see Yoruba in that sentence, you are probably right. cool

I know how you got the name na, its probably the name tied to the whatsap number you quoted.

I am not going to admit/ disprove anything on record, I am not Elisha Abbo.

Lastly, do I sound like I wanna fight ? Come on, thats gonna be super petty, I ain't looking for a fight, this is just social media, why should I get into a fight on and off it ?

That's not my thing, I pmed you cos I wanted to talk not fight. tongue

3 Likes

Re: Do intertribal Marriages work? by babyfaceafrica: 6:31am On Jul 12, 2019
Zielle:

Two different languages, families may not accept the union, partner may secretly yearn for someone from his or her tribe.

Wow, awesome shocked

what is awesome?..this is a normal thing now...obj married from different tribes,even atiku married from different tribe,rmd married a yoruba woman,one of the psquare twin married lola..ahmed musa is married to an akwa ibom lady.,ondo state govenor is married to an igbo lady.na poor people dey think about tribe when it comes to marriage

2 Likes

Re: Do intertribal Marriages work? by frozen70(f): 7:06am On Jul 12, 2019
Zielle:

It works for some and doesn't work for others due to culture belief

But the only thing that can make it work is true love

1 Like

Re: Do intertribal Marriages work? by meobizy(f): 10:55am On Jul 12, 2019
Zielle:

Wow, awesome shocked

...and yet a lot have worked out well.
In my family alone I know of at least eight cases with the most recent being a union of about twenty years.

So in your whole family no one has married outside the tribe?
It’s a normal thing in the south especially if you lived a long time outside your locale.
Here even Hausa migrants from the 90s have sons married to daughters of the soil.

2 Likes

Re: Do intertribal Marriages work? by Nobody: 11:44am On Jul 12, 2019
babyfaceafrica:
what is awesome?..this is a normal thing now...obj married from different tribes,even atiku married from different tribe,rmd married a yoruba woman,one of the psquare twin married lola..ahmed musa is married to an akwa ibom lady.,ondo state govenor is married to an igbo lady.na poor people dey think about tribe when it comes to marriage

Your last sentence is a form of hasty generalisation
Cheers

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do intertribal Marriages work? by babyfaceafrica: 12:22pm On Jul 12, 2019
merahki:

Your last sentence is pure fallacy, a big lie and a hasty generalisation Cheers
ur opinion
Re: Do intertribal Marriages work? by thorpido(m): 10:51pm On Jul 12, 2019
Zielle:

Wow, awesome shocked

You should be able to make your family accept your spouse before marriage.That should be sorted before the marriage.

Why would you yearn for someone of your tribe when you decided to settle with the one that is not of your tribe in the first place?I married outside of my tribe and have never had a desire otherwise.

1 Like

Re: Do intertribal Marriages work? by Chenzee(m): 6:49pm On Sep 04, 2019
Zielle:

As regards ur question; sure, inter-tribal marriages are very good, so long as the marriages are hinged upon the tenets of love...

2 Likes

Re: Do intertribal Marriages work? by Igboerumole05: 6:31am On Sep 05, 2019
IT WORKS VERY WELL.

Though, like someone rightly said above, 'if you marry the right woman'.

I can convienently tell you this because am married to someone that's not my tribe and I am really enjoying the union.

I am blessed with an understanding wife and equally understanding in-laws.

I have been married before to someone from my tribe but it didn't work out and am rejoicing now because I married the right woman for me.

Though, attimes, there will be thinks I want to say to her that I can't express in English but all the same she understands me like mad.

I will advise you disabuse your mind from the tribal thing when it comes to marriage.

1 Like

Re: Do intertribal Marriages work? by cooooooks(m): 7:37pm On Sep 06, 2019
It can work and depends on the individuals as well as the families. Like it or not, you also marry your spouse's family.

1 Like

Re: Do intertribal Marriages work? by culf: 8:27pm On Sep 06, 2019
it works perfectly fine, if the 2 people understand and luv themselves. my Idoma friend married an igbira lady and they are doing beautifully OK.

1 Like

Re: Do intertribal Marriages work? by kunleweb: 5:50pm On Sep 14, 2019
Hey babe.

Check out this ladies diary " jaysmama "
Re: Do intertribal Marriages work? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Sep 18, 2019
kunleweb:
Hey babe.

Check out this ladies diary " jaysmama "
Ok.. but why?
Re: Do intertribal Marriages work? by kunleweb: 4:16pm On Sep 18, 2019
Zielle:
Ok.. but why?

.nah. Nevermind. wink

(1) (Reply)

.... / Why I Didn't Pity My Mom When I Saw Her in this condition. / British Women And Infidelity - Survey Confirmation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.