Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,116 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:54 PM

Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) (51123 Views)

Twitter Asks Some Sacked Workers To Please Come Back / Adama Beverages Workers Deny Report Of Mass Sack, Molestation Of Workers / Fidelity Bank Workers Protest Over Non Payment Of Salaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by onadana: 12:25pm On Jul 11, 2019
merit455:
And they are recruiting new staffs

They are merging their banks together.
Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by ojoduoludare(m): 12:27pm On Jul 11, 2019
SOME people are very funny .. when we are saying serious thing they will be talking about Handi work ...
Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by ojoduoludare(m): 12:27pm On Jul 11, 2019
SOME people are very funny .. when we are saying serious thing they will be talking about Handiwork ...

1 Like

Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by Torreoliver: 12:27pm On Jul 11, 2019
lonelygem:
If I hear hard work for Una mouth ehn.

I lost reasonable money to Ecobank staff negligence sometimes ago.

I made a transaction which the beneficiary claimed didn't receive and had been debited from my Ecobank account. I insisted the beneficiary should hold on till I confirm what happened from Ecobank before making another transaction.

I went to Ecobank branch and I was asked to fill in a disbursement error form which I did.

I asked repeatedly as I never trusted the beneficiary if I could go ahead and make a new payment to the beneficiary, the customer care lady said a capital yes assuring me the initial fund will be reversed to my account immediately as I'd filled the disbursement error form.

I left and made a fresh payment to the beneficiary, and I forgot about the whole thing..

2days, 5days one week gone no reversal.
I went to the branch again to complain, it was then they started looking for the disbursement error form I filled a week ago.
When they eventually found the form, it was discovered that the form wasn't processed, during the period, the cash cleared into the beneficiary's account unaltered because the form was not processed..

We started sending mails to Lagos office to rectify the issue, the guy in Lagos equally didn't respond tilll about 26days of the whole mess.. We kept calling from the branch phone, the branch manager's mobile number and my personal mobile number, the idiot was not on desk for days, and wasn't responding to mobile phone calls..

When he finally responded after 26days.. He only commented "the transaction cleared into the beneficiary's account" that was how I lost the money..

I quietly stoped using the account for any transaction since 2016. I just counted Ecobank out of my business life.

It may be funny that most employee don't deserve what they actually earn and can be so shameless to come to protest ground without conscience..
Ecobank staffs are so negligent not to say that deserve this kind of treatment
Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by IchBinBrait(m): 12:33pm On Jul 11, 2019
lonelygem:

I made a transaction which the beneficiary claimed didn't receive and had been debited from my Ecobank account. I insisted the beneficiary should hold on till I confirm what happened from Ecobank before making another transaction.

I went to Ecobank branch and I was asked to fill in a disbursement error form which I did.

I asked repeatedly as I never trusted the beneficiary if I could go ahead and make a new payment to the beneficiary, the customer care lady said a capital yes assuring me the initial fund will be reversed to my account immediately as I'd filled the disbursement error form.

I left and made a fresh payment to the beneficiary, and I forgot about the whole thing..

I went to the branch again to complain, it was then they started looking for the disbursement error form I filled a week ago.
When they eventually found the form, it was discovered that the form wasn't processed, during the period, the cash cleared into the beneficiary's account unaltered because the form was not processed..

We started sending mails to Lagos office to rectify the issue, the guy in Lagos equally didn't respond tilll about 26days of the whole mess.. We kept calling from the branch phone, the branch manager's mobile number and my personal mobile number, the idiot was not on desk for days, and wasn't responding to mobile phone calls..

When he finally responded after 26days.. He only commented "the transaction cleared into the beneficiary's account" that was how I lost the money..

I quietly stoped using the account for any transaction since 2016. I just counted Ecobank out of my business life.

It may be funny that most employee don't deserve what they actually earn and can be so shameless to come to protest ground without conscience..

I'm soo sorry about that brother, but did you call the beneficiary to enquire whether he/she received double deposits??

Also, bank staff can't be trusted. Whichever bank it is. Who knows maybe the Lagos guy diverted the money to his side.

I had taken out time to study Ecobank's staff during my early teenage years. No be today something,, e don tey. Those guys have no joy at all; they render poor customer service and speak to customers anyhow they like, some of them are damn lazy to the bone (to the extent that they frown whenever they see a customer standing right in front of them in order to make a deposit), their USSD service is bullshit. They behave the same way everywhere. Could it be that they are way underpaid or they just chose to be annoying...

Where them customers dey... If you are a customer and you haven't YELLED at those staff before, don't worry, something will make you shout. You'd want to fight sęf.

I won't forget the day I transferred out all my bucks from my account with them, then I burnt my atm card. I did not want to have anything to do with them again. I just hope they work on their flaws.

The bank has come out to deny the sack accusations against them... Na them sabi.
Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by idonhammer: 12:42pm On Jul 11, 2019
Fraudulent bank, they swallowed my $2300 in 2017 and that's wen I knew who they really are. Cooperate criminals bank.

lonelygem:

Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by delvzy(m): 12:44pm On Jul 11, 2019
I do feel working in the bank shouldn't be something that should be a lifetime
Assess yourself 2-3 years of understanding the job and a further 2-3 deliberating on what to expect during the case of emergency
Every company love to change once in a while it's up to you to be indispensible with your work.
Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by kingsmaila(m): 12:45pm On Jul 11, 2019
Bank is not a place to work. I have experienced this.
Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by IchBinBrait(m): 12:45pm On Jul 11, 2019
dingbang:
they just recruited, it is called consequence management. Most bankers dont plan ahead, they feel they will die on the job, very sad. Every banker should have ten back up plans

Back up plan.. On point. There should be Plan B and if need be, Plan C. Banking job requires playing along, and if a staff doesn't, he/she will be denied access to the computer system the following day and you know what that means.
Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by olajide8(m): 12:46pm On Jul 11, 2019
odave:
This is what is going on in Ecobank Nigeria. Mass sack of their staffs with peanut as their parting package. These guyz have dependants for God's sake! Even if you want to sack them, why can't you just give them a better money? After all many have been with you for more than 10 years without any trace of misdeed.

This country get as e be o

Click on the link below to watch video

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzvYjV8lhPz/?igshid=113y3rpe0pbqj

Is this news?- ecobank have been doing this nonsense for years since they merged - abi, acquired Allstates trust bank - let these peeps ask us! cheesy cheesy
Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jul 11, 2019
number2016:

Oga make up is also handwork abi u nr understand handwork..
makeup,hairdressing,carpentary all na handwork.
Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jul 11, 2019
Neoteny:

So you're like that fish outta water Dory.

So why u up and disappeare?
Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jul 11, 2019
Neoteny:

So you're like that fish outta water Dory.

So why u up and disappeared?
Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by IceColdVeins(m): 1:02pm On Jul 11, 2019
You folks have started with your bankworkers hate thingy, jobless people will be like bank job no be work!! bank job nor be work!!, but when banks publish graduate trainee job adverts, y'all will slam their portals with miilions of y'all's dirty looking generic CVs with fasting and prayer and start to fidget in front of HRs when invited for ordinary panel interview and thats if y'all managed to manoeuvre through aptitude tests.
Yeah bank work is stressful, insecure and can put you on edge, but the pay, experience and exposure are all worth it....Contract staffing is under-remunerated unarguably but it has pulled a lot of folks out of the streets.... I work as an analyst in a very respected department of a highly reputable bank's head office and the experience and lessons ain't cheap. Bank job has been favourable financially for me, i got my apartment in lagos within a year, I cloth myself with nice outfits, even though i had not more that 5 round necks and no shirt before I got a bank appointment , I evn met my girlfriend while I was working in my previous bank work in a branch level and above all, I have made momma proud quite a number of times. However, I have contingency plans should incase my job stops loving me.
For a jobless youth, 'bank job nor be work' is too big for your mouth. I even earn more than some civil servants and dem 'over sabi' lecturers back in school.
I graduated 2016, I have barely spent 2 years in the field. I have worked as a marketer, digital sales executive and as a user access management analyst that I am today and I can say I am a better man than when I was running up and down trying to make business product deliveries, depending solely on the proceeds back then.
Bank work is work i beg, as a youth without much financial responsiblity, live within your means, plan for contigencies, obtain professional certifications, learn skills/foreign languages and above all, do some side hustles, save money while at the job no matter how big/small you earn.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by IchBinBrait(m): 1:14pm On Jul 11, 2019
ornicus:
make we hear word jare. alot of these organizations pay their executive ridiculous benefits for no actual value

On the contrary, the executives do add value. According to the business school of thought, the executives do the thinking, deliberate on issues, make decisions, attend meetings and formulate strategic policies for the long term growth & survival of the company. They are paid millions every month. They receive mind blowings salaries plus other incentives and benefits (remuneration package).

Whereas the low level / middle level staff are the ones to do the field marketing "under the sun or in the rain" (abi no be so dem dey sing am for NYSC), long hour standing and general day to day operations and so on.... And some receive peanut at the end of the month. This doesn't happen only in Nigeria but all over the world.

I don't crucify emphasizers of "start up a business," "be your own boss" etc...
Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by Jokerman(m): 1:31pm On Jul 11, 2019
Neoteny:

Please

Executives bear the greatest burden

You can't compare a cubicle drone working on a single widget with one responsible for hundreds of millions or even billions in sales, financials, projects etc.

A marketing executive responsible for meeting sales targets of billions should rightly earn several hundreds more than a white collar dispensable drone working in a tiny corner of a large enterprise

Lol... You are very right... People just talk anyhow condemning executives or management... If they understood the burden...

1 Like

Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by Alzirida(f): 1:34pm On Jul 11, 2019
lonelygem:

Same with Access Bank that's why both got married
Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by Noblejay7: 1:37pm On Jul 11, 2019
This is very unfair. The affected staffs should do the following

1. Get a good lawyer and sue the bank. It might take time but justice will be done at the end of the day.
2 organize a protest to the National Assembly

3 petition the ministry of labour and productivity and the CBN

4 intensify social media campaign against the bank as this will force the bank to call them for negotiations
Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by Jokerman(m): 1:37pm On Jul 11, 2019
Neoteny:

Before Cecilia and Akingbola fell they first built the mammoths that employed your cobweb-infested drones. And it's interesting you only cited a couple of examples of people falling from grace to lesser grace.

Despite their transgressions they were titans who built legacies. Meanwhile your replaceable dime-a-dozen cubicle denizens require such titans to build the entities that employ them and give their otherwise banal existence some semblance of assembly line purpose.

Bro please... Have mercy o... No use this one sack many workers o... Please

1 Like

Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by cosef: 1:40pm On Jul 11, 2019
lonelygem:

Ecobank staffs are one of most unfriendly bank staffs I've ever met. They attend to you like you are coming to beg for money. Sheesh!

Even illiterate ogiri and Akara sellers have more courtesy.
Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by Generaloluseye: 1:45pm On Jul 11, 2019
Noblejay7:
This is very unfair. The affected staffs should do the following

1. Get a good lawyer and sue the bank. It might take time but justice will be done at the end of the day.
2 organize a protest to the National Assembly

3 petition the ministry of labour and productivity and the CBN

4 intensify social media campaign against the bank as this will force the bank to call them for negotiations

No 4 and probably no 2 are the best options. Don't let me talk about No 3. Who knows?

1 Like

Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jul 11, 2019
Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by Jokerman(m): 1:49pm On Jul 11, 2019
cosef:

Ecobank staffs are one of most unfriendly bank staffs I've ever met. They attend to you like you are coming to beg for money. Sheesh!

Even illiterate ogiri and Akara sellers have more courtesy.

When the bank doesn't pay them well, what do you expect??
Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by CorperKola: 2:02pm On Jul 11, 2019
dingbang:
they just recruited, it is called consequence management. Most bankers dont plan ahead, they feel they will die on the job, very sad. Every banker should have ten back up plans
Exactly, for 12 years, u didnt save anything from ur salary, you are now expecting 120m disengagement fee. Dey there.
When you are not the MD
Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by NightHawke: 2:02pm On Jul 11, 2019
odave:

That's why it's better to always collect loan as a bank worker, I'm sure they won't attempt sack during the repayment period. I may be wrong sha. I have a friend there, I don't even know the best advice I can give him.
This may just explain why one of my friends is perpetually indebted to the bank

1 Like

Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by BalogunIdowu(m): 2:24pm On Jul 11, 2019
That place looks like agbara.
Bank job eh
Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by Ghost01(m): 2:57pm On Jul 11, 2019
A recurring theme in the classes I attended in Training School when I started working was the advice (a plea, even) to save part of the monthy pay, i.e. not to eat with our two hands, and to plan for contingencies. Facilitator after facilitator, senior executive after senior executive kept hammering on this. I remember one of the senior executives facilitated a course on Personal Finance that lasted from 8am to 6pm - one of the finest classes I've attended to date - and shared personal experiences with us. Another showed his detailed goals for the year as well as the target he'd set for himself about a decade earlier - all very detailed. I allowed the lessons to sink in and took a first step when the first pay came.

Retrenchment, disengagement or whatever we term it is bound to happen. Start planning for your exit the first day you take a job. My former manager used to say that a staff's exit from a firm is a certainty: either you resign or you get the sack or you die. Another possibility is retirement. If your employer pays you gratuity after disengagement, it should be addition to what you already have and not the only thing you'll depend on to cushion the disengagement effect - especially for those of us in private employ.

The employer will always provide justification for disengagement. Even if the business is yours, at some point you should be able to take the decision to disengage yourself from its day-to-day running, in the interest of the business. As Chris Anyanwu advised in The Days of Terror, "leave something for tomorrow." Salaam!

2 Likes

Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by willarrie(m): 3:09pm On Jul 11, 2019
Biko,where's the Mass?
Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by Neoteny(m): 3:18pm On Jul 11, 2019
AwkaetitiBabe:
So why u up and disappeared?

Traveled.

Back now
Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by Neoteny(m): 3:22pm On Jul 11, 2019
ornicus:

The bloat in most companies are the over paid executives, a large number of whom are adding zero value.

Unfortunately, the banking sector has never been unionised, which is why at the first sign of distress, the exemplary leaders throw the crew overboard.

Please spare us the right wing capitalism solves all bs.
The country that celebrates capitalism as a cure all has a shrinking middle class, those worthless drones as you call them.

So your solution is to unionize and deprive businesses of the right to rightsize even when they're in the red, or when external factors place them in unfavorable conditions.

You'd rather companies flounder than sever a few minions.

Interesting.

You don't strike me as one who can operate a successful business.

You're either one of those cats feeding fat on the union dues of those hapless drones, or you're a downsized drone yourself.

I'll also love your factual attribution that the "shrinking middle class", were such a thing to exist, is due to executive shenanigans.
Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by okewumi: 3:30pm On Jul 11, 2019
CaptainLora:

From what I hear the recruitment and training for the new intakes were done by an (outsourced) recruitment agency owned by the wife of the Managing Director, Mr Patrick.

He's due to retire next year, so i think he's trying to milk the bank as much as possible for his personal interest.

The board of directors should as a matter of urgency, call the MD to order before it's too late.

You can imagine.

Na fish, fish they swallow in this country.

1 Like

Re: Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jul 11, 2019
Neoteny:

So your solution is to unionize and deprive businesses of the right to rightsize even when they're in the red, or when external factors place them in unfavorable conditions.

You'd rather companies flounder than sever a few minions.

Interesting.

You don't strike me as one who can operate a successful business.

You're either one of those cats feeding fat on the union dues of those hapless drones, or you're a downsized drone yourself.

I'll also love your factual attribution that the "shrinking middle class", were such a thing to exist, is due to executive shenanigans.

No problem there. You have never struck me as the type who could run a business either. more like some silver spoon kid who had everything handed to him and has grown into delusions of competence and ability.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Fidelity Bank, Best Bank To Work For In Nigeria – Survey / Police Officer Smoking Shisha In Uniform: NPF Launches Investigation (Photos) / Gal Pissetzky: 5 Things To Know About Hushpuppi's Lawyer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.