Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,583 members, 7,809,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:39 PM

Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed (35053 Views)

At 36, I Still Stay With My Parents And I Feel Not bad about it. / My Wife Complains That My Private Part Is Too Big & That I Stay Too Long, Help / My Husband Doesn’t Want My Son To Come And Stay With Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jul 11, 2019
AntiMCU:

Why asking...
Anti MI kilode? Na your territory? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by AntiMCU: 9:01pm On Jul 11, 2019
AwkaetitiBabe:
Anti MI kilode? Na your territory? cheesy
Or na you wan invade the unconqured?

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jul 11, 2019
nuelyoyo:
Nope, and that's because work took out of the state my parents are. To be honest, if I find myself working in the same state where my parents house is, and thier place is close to work, and my pay is just 80k, I wouldn't rush to move out. Op just started working about one year now. He needs to make his savings big enough.
Cool.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by Duggedised12(f): 9:26pm On Jul 11, 2019
You can never go wrong investing. Now let's analyze it this way;

Rent your own place now, stay alone ,have your guy man freedom, access to chicks
Or
Invest now and have enough money few months later to own your own apartment while still having a side hustle that brings money.

See this life,never listen to mockery of people, a lot of those your colleagues wish they were in your shoes with no house rent bills breathing down their neck.Its not as if you are going to be there forever.

OK let's do it this way, why not invest ,give yourself 18 months ,save up and if you still feel like moving out,fine,just invest first ,or you dey forbid to move to your personal house(not rented) from your papa house?

8 Likes

Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by shogsman(m): 9:26pm On Jul 11, 2019
Why you dey hurry commot your parle side all in the name of independence. Help out with things,save more.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by DavidEsq(m): 9:26pm On Jul 11, 2019
Hullabaloon:
Guys I need advice on what to do at this point in my life.

Got a job, in my state, place of work not far from parent's house (rented flat).

I've managed to save up to 400k so far, I've always longed to move away from my parent's house and get my own place, but they'd always kick against it, citing that there's no need for that since work is close to home. Left for them, they'd like me to stay till I plan for marriage whenever that will be; Lol, parents sha.

I'm already 28 years old, so I think it's time.

My colleagues already yab me anytime they get the opportunity, they love reminding me that I still dey chop mama thank you.

Problem is, the job security at my place of work is not that encouraging. I have older colleagues who have been in the company for 8 to 15 years, I've also, within my short period (less than a year now) seen about 5 workers sacked, it's a place where any thing can happen at any time.

So, should I invest this 400k in renting and furnishing an apartment with the constant uncertainty hovering over the job,and no side income yet, or should I continue staying with my parents while I invest the money in a side business which I don't know how it'll fare...

Now, frankly speaking, I'm not cut out for business, it's not my forte at all, so starting any at all comes with great risk but I still feel the need for another source of income.

On the flip side, Staying with my parents is not even as economical as most would think. Ever since I got the job, parents no dey gree say them get money again. All the bills are on me.

I'm just confused.

Salary fluctuates between 60 to 80k
If only u know what wonderful parents u have

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by Successmind(m): 9:28pm On Jul 11, 2019
Once you are alone, you'll start thinking rationally as a grown man....but if only you are not the easily distracted crew...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by SammyTJack: 9:29pm On Jul 11, 2019
Leave bro

#Freedom

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by Smooth278(m): 9:30pm On Jul 11, 2019
Hullabaloon:

That's my major fear. Moving is permanent and would consume great resources....

It's an investment of its own. A necessary evil

It's not an investment, it's a LIABILITY!!! INVESTMENTS will bring in money to u while liabilities will drain from u...

That being said, I will advise u stay with your peeps for a while longer while looking for a better job with better working conditions and job security... If you can look for a good business idea and invest on it...

I wish you all the best ..

3 Likes

Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by Seunnzy(m): 9:30pm On Jul 11, 2019
Yhu have free accomodation..that's a big plus..yhu can even stay till u build house ...it's my advice for u bro

2 Likes

Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jul 11, 2019
Hullabaloon:

Got a job, in my state, place of work not far from parent's house (rented flat).

I've managed to save up to 400k so far, I've always longed to move away from my parent's house and get my own place, but they'd always kick against it, citing that there's no need for that since work is close to home. Left for them, they'd like me to stay till I plan for marriage whenever that will be; Lol, parents sha.

My colleagues already yab me anytime they get the opportunity, they love reminding me that I still dey chop mama thank you.

Problem is, the job security at my place of work is not that encouraging. I have older colleagues who have been in the company for 8 to 15 years, I've also, within my short period (less than a year now) seen about 5 workers sacked, it's a place where any thing can happen at any time.

So, should I invest this 400k in renting and furnishing an apartment with the constant uncertainty hovering over the job,and no side income yet, or should I continue staying with my parents while I invest the money in a side business which I don't know how it'll fare...

Now, frankly speaking, I'm not cut out for business, it's not my forte at all, so starting any at all comes with great risk but I still feel the need for another source of income.

On the flip side, Staying with my parents is not even as economical as most would think. Ever since I got the job, parents no dey gree say them get money again. All the bills are on me.

I'm just confused.

Leave!!!
I was 24 when I left my parents place. I'm 25 now. I send my mum 30k monthly as allowance. I'm a freelancer and a Kindle author.
Our old politicians including Bubu were very young when they achieved great milestones in life. The idea of a 28-year old man staying in his parents house because he wants to save is laughable. Don't be afraid of achieving great things at a young age.
Remain blessed.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by 1234IKECHhukwu: 9:31pm On Jul 11, 2019
Oga,stop deceiving urself be a man & leave that house asap.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by ivolt: 9:31pm On Jul 11, 2019
Moving out may be the biggest mistake you will make.
If you are into business, it may have its advantage but since
you are a salary earner stay in your parents' house until you are
ready to marry or save enough to start a sustainable business.

Forget about what people say, nobody ever succeeds without support from
others. Your parents are offering you a big opportunity here, don't reject it.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by Sinavaramini: 9:33pm On Jul 11, 2019
My broda, a little sacrifice makes sense, remember your parents struggled to ensure you are properly raised and graduate from school, then get a job. Being with them at this time that there is hardship in Nigeria, contribute to well-being with your income until you are well grounded and get a paycheck that will be suitable for you to now leave and get your own place, get married and settle down is better. Please think again and don't look at them "----no dey gree say them get money again. All the bills are on me." Just my own advice, I love my parents!
Hullabaloon:
Guys I need advice on what to do at this point in my life.".

I'm just confused.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by AkataYeriYeri: 9:33pm On Jul 11, 2019
Hullabaloon:

I'm just confused.

Invest your money in FG savings bond

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by hrykanu231(m): 9:34pm On Jul 11, 2019
Hullabaloon:

I'm just confused.

Your salary is less than 150k and you have saved 400k already? Bros how una dey do am.

Since there's no job security, maybe you should continue "chopping Mama thank you" small. When you get a more secured job, you can then move.
Just like you, I don't have a thing for doing business, the only time I tried it people owed/owe. So I let my money work for me.
At the moment I am eating small small percentage on farm crowdy and piggvest.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by LyfeJennings(m): 9:34pm On Jul 11, 2019
Hullabaloon:

I'm just confused.

I made the same mistake as U did. By the time I grew up, it was way too late. MOVE OUT AS SOONEST AS U CAN. BE YOUR OWN MAN. U WOULD BE MORE RESPECTED FOR THAT ABD U WOULD FEEL MORE FULFILLED

9 Likes

Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by Teeneyo(m): 9:35pm On Jul 11, 2019
I also m in d same shoe
Unless ur parents ar supportive and bearable u can stay
Mine ar not
Moving oo fr peace of mind

3 Likes

Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by Mutemenot(m): 9:35pm On Jul 11, 2019
I don't support the idea of staying with your parents until you are ready to get married .. you need to habe experience as a single guy, see how you can put in practice what you learnt from your parents in their absence.. n lots of more to benefit living away from your parents ... wot u need most now is how to get a brighter future financially, I may not have a good advise, just look around and see how you can get side hustle, it helps alot.. Goodluck ..

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by Predstan: 9:36pm On Jul 11, 2019
Hullabaloon:

I'm just confused.

So you want to use 400k to rent house? Bros, 200k is enough to rent and furnish your house partially. However, if you have a place to invest that money and you are sure of the proceeds. Please go ahead and try it out. You can just have a target that, you have to rent a house by 2020 in January. Invest the money where your mind would be at rest and move out in the next 6 month.

Please do not contact anyone from this thread about business

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by Omotayor123(f): 9:37pm On Jul 11, 2019
Hullabaloon:

The secret is quite simple: I don't drink, I don't smoke, ain't got no girlfriend. Don't need one now.

So, the only expenses I make are feeding, T fare, and helping parents with cash when food stuff and other utilities run low at home.

I would have even saved more if not that I provided half of the rent where we currently stay, bought a new laptop and a new phone when I lost the previous one I had, and of course, upgraded my wardrobe cheesy
Lolz u tried jare

Don't move out till u are fully ready to settle down, then u can furnish d House to the taste of how u want ur first home ( with ur wife & kids) to look like.

For now, enjoy ur stay with ur parents while it lasts & ur idea of side business is great.

Look at the opportunities around you & ur spare time to decide on the kind of side business u can jump on.
God bless ur hustle

3 Likes

Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by remiopash: 9:38pm On Jul 11, 2019
IT IS BETTER TO CONTINUE SAVING AND BE PLANNING OF WHAT TO DO WITH THE SAVING TOO.SAVING DOESN'T GET TOO MUCH..IT IS ALL YOURS...BELIEVE ME,IT WILL GET TO A TIME THAT YOUR FRIENDS WILL BE JEALOUS OF YOU.
Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by franchasng: 9:38pm On Jul 11, 2019
Op say the truth and shame the devil; its because of one small girl you want to knack and she is telling u she can't come to your parent's house, girls are wicked, that's how they will be destroying the present and future of people's sons cheesy

17 Likes

Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by SimSify(m): 9:39pm On Jul 11, 2019
In similar situation too
Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by inception101(m): 9:40pm On Jul 11, 2019
Hullabaloon:

I'm just confused.

Add 100k to it and invest in capital market!! Go to your bank and ask about bond market. ROI might be little but it’s guaranteed and your capital is secure

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by Hotzone(m): 9:40pm On Jul 11, 2019
Depending on ur pocket but staying with parents sûks

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jul 11, 2019
I will look at this from another angle

If I were you, I will move out! I will not move out because my friends want me to, I will move out because I need to know what it means to pay my bills.

You're with your family, you will never know what life truly is. You wake up in the morning, water to bath is there, food to eat is there, etc. Tell me, how will you understand responsibility?

You said you still contribute in the upkeep of the house but still.... When you move and start staying alone, you know that your next meal is not guaranteed, your next house rent is also not guaranteed in fact, you need to work harder. A man ought to have such experiences before settling down. How will you get it?

So, you will remain with your parents till when you want to marry? And when is that?

Bros, move out! When you do, know that every dime you spend has good or bad consequences.

Some people are saying what if you move out and then you lose your job? Actually, that's when you get to discover some of your money making abilities. Ok, what if after getting married you lose your job? Will you go back to your father's house? You said business is not your thing, yes, I understand. But like they say, necessity is the mother of invention.
You said you neither drink, smoke, nor womanise. So what is your fear?

Sha, it's your call to make

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by rafindo(m): 9:42pm On Jul 11, 2019
Hullabaloon:

I'm just confused.

You are just like me brother. I have always lived under their shadow. I got a job with my mums help while waiting for nysc ,with her help also I did the service their while working. First born among 4,the weakest in terms of been hardened. The job is not secure thou.jokingly my mum told me I should get a place for myself when I finished service by June.now she heard I have gotten a place from my friends.she has employed them to dissuade me from living home.my brother the wisdom is simple, you will always be under their shadow unless you decide to be the light. You only get a seat at the table unless you shake it.moooooovvvvvvveee bro.
They own the house but I told my dad I am not interested in inheriting it but making mine. No time is right expect now.

9 Likes

Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by Originalsly: 9:42pm On Jul 11, 2019
Hullabaloon:

Lol, trust me, I'm not gonna listen to any business proposition from anyone here.

Ehmmm..... I have a side business proposition for you... if you're very lazy... your ROI will be 5% minimum... if you're just ordinary lazy... 20% ROI.... if you will try... 50%... if you will push to get things done...100% minimum... and thus is foolproof business.... 100% legit...are you interested?

@ topic... you're not in a position to move as yet.... bank some more.
Re: Should I Stay With My Parents And Invest Or Should I Leave? Advice Needed by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jul 11, 2019
I didn't bother reading people's comment, some may be right or wrong.

Bro please use 300k rent and furnish your apartment first you won't finish everything at once, you have alot to gain.
1. You can carry babes at will.
2. You will have time to read and learn new things.
3. You will have the mind to try out any small business without people or your parents feeling uncomfortable with it, or telling you can't make it.
4. You will go broke sometimes and learn to save better the next month.
5. You will earn respect automatically from colleagues and family...... And babes lol.
6. You will have time to embark on self discovery quests.
Alot of upsides i can't remember all tho...
Trust me if you invest that money you can't successfully make brain or much profit in the business from the comfort of your parents house.

If you are alone you will become more responsible and you will alot of alone time to think and plan ahead knowing that you have to pay bills monthly.

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

One Day, He Will Be Told To Choose Between His Girlfriend And Mother (Picture) / Mum Runs Mad Over News Of Death Of Baby She Waited Seven Years To Have / Life After Subsidy Removal - 8 Things To Help You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.