Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,281 members, 7,807,942 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:16 PM

How To Become A Data Analyst In 3-months - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Become A Data Analyst In 3-months (8970 Views)

Police Rescue 600 Kano Workers Locked For 3 Months In Rice Factory / How To Build A Successful Career As A Data Scientist / 4 High Paying Skills In Nigeria You Can Learn Within 3 Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Become A Data Analyst In 3-months by justli: 7:42am On Jul 12, 2019
If you're like most people with interest in data science, you may have tried to google, “what do I need to learn to become a data scientist?” Well, good luck with that.

I'm sure that one search dashed your hope or at least dampened your initial excitement. The list of all the things you need to learn to become a data scientist would get even the most determined individual doubtful. The list of prerequisite knowledge goes something like this:

Probability and Statistical Analysis
Programming knowledge, preferably Python or R
Linear algebra – emphasis on vectors and matrices
Calculus – both differential and integral
SQL
Excel
Machine Learning
Deep Learning
Then the technologies

The breadth of knowledge seem so overwhelming.

But the truth is, you don't need all of what you saw up there to get started as a data analyst, at least not in Nigeria. I'll show you the three most important things you need to know and you can learn them in just 2 months to become a data analyst. Forget about all the fancy words and the fluffs, let's focus for once on what the employer wants from you.

In Nigeria, the duty of a junior data analyst doesn't require that you're able to write some fancy high tech machine learning algorithms. No, you don't need that. Most employers in Nigeria don't have a need for that and in any case, companies who would need such algorithm already have data scientists who are paid above #500,000 that could handle such task. You, on the other hand, just want a beginner position with pay range between #150,000 - #250,000, why should anyone labour you with a PhD level task?.

What Employers Want From You:

First, potential employers would want that you're able to collect and clean up data. Here I'm not talking of data mining, that's above you. You just need to be able to gather the different internally generated data by your employer, format them properly, and feed them into your employer's preferred data analytics tool.

To learn this important skills, you only need to become proficient in Microsoft Excel and SQL. Well, you can't be seriously looking for job as a data analyst without a good knowledge of Microsoft Excel.

The good news is, if you are serious, you can learn enough of Excel to gain confidence in 3-weeks. Once you get the hang of the software, it becomes easy. You can always google your way through any challenging task. That, by the way, is a life-skills to acquire. The solution to virtually every challenge you'll encounter as a junior data analyst, is somewhere on the internet. You just have to learn to use the internet and Google properly.

If you are into MOOC, Edx.org has some great excel tutorials. Just google : “edx excel courses”.

Of the three skills you will need to learn to land a beginner job as a data analyst, SQL is probably the most challenging.

Just to give you an idea of how difficult it is, any serious person can learn SQL under 2 months, take it or leave it. I learned MySQL in less than 2-month. To deepen understanding, I spent time solving task on leetcode.com and hackerrank. Whatever path you take, I really recommend you spend some time on hackerrank. They have an amazing collection of challenges that will force you to take your SQL skills to the next level.

There are lots of free resources online that can teach you SQL like:
w3schools.com
tutorialspoint.com

You should also check out MikeDane's free mysql course on mikedane.com. I totally recommend that. His course will give you the easy and quick introduction you would need to get started with SQL.

Your second task as a data analyst, is developing the ability to draw up insight from data.

As a data analyst, you need to have a problem-solving mentality. That's why you're being paid. Your employer hopes to see some flashes of brilliance occasionally from you.

You play with data, you spot trends that could help cut cost, improve sales or management efficiency, then you become indispensable.

The only way you can effectively pull out meaningful insights from data is when you are genuinely interested in your employer's business.

As a data analyst, you're not an outsider in the company, you're a part of the strategic decision making. So, you're always thinking of the customer, always thinking of the product, and management efficiency.

And to be able to play with data and spot trends, you only need to learn Excel, Mysql and Tableau. Later when you secure a job as a junior data analyst, you can learn SAS and Hadoop for big data analysis. That brings us to the third skills you need to have to be job ready.

The third skills you need is the ability to communicate your findings in a visually appealing and orally compelling manner. Your superior is probably non techy and certainly don't have time to waste, so your data visualization skills have to be good, and the good news is you can learn that in under 3 weeks.
Companies want someone who can help them present data in a fancy way, just like you see with BudgIT.

To acquire all you need to do great data visualization, you need to learn Tableau – it's the no.1 data visualization software, and it is free. 90% of tableau is quite intuitive and easy to understand. And that 90% is what you need to master, to do great visuals. If you can put in 5-hour everyday for one months, that's all you need. Master that software and you're ready for job.

So, may be you just graduated university or you're thinking of switching profession, instead of spending the next one to two years trying to acquire the backlog of skills needed to be a Kaggle level data scientist, spend the next 3 months, acquire these three skills, get a professional resume and get a job as a data analyst.

Once you are in the job, you can spend your free time learning programming, mathematics, statistics and other technologies needed for senior level data analytics.

Contact me for a complete Data Analytics course and hands-on coaching.

Go from scratch to mastery in 3 months.

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How To Become A Data Analyst In 3-months by justli: 10:22am On Jul 12, 2019
Leave your comments and questions below
Re: How To Become A Data Analyst In 3-months by Emmitex(m): 11:42am On Jul 12, 2019
Hi justli,

Thanks a lot for this timely information. I so much appreciate it.
I am interested and ready to start the learning.
I'll really appreciate your assistance and guidance in learning data science starting from this data analysis.

Cheers.
Re: How To Become A Data Analyst In 3-months by justli: 1:30pm On Jul 12, 2019
Emmitex:
Hi justli,

Thanks a lot for this timely information. I so much appreciate it.
I am interested and ready to start the learning.
I'll really appreciate your assistance and guidance in learning data science starting from this data analysis.

Cheers.

It's going to be a pleasure. Send me a message on
Re: How To Become A Data Analyst In 3-months by Emmitex(m): 1:33pm On Jul 12, 2019
Which is your phone number? Is it 0818090500(4) as in your signature or 0818090500(3) as in your post.

justli:
If you're like most people with interest in data science, you may have tried to google, “what do I need to learn to become a data scientist?” Well, good luck with that.

I'm sure that one search dashed your hope or at least dampened your initial excitement. The list of all the things you need to learn to become a data scientist would get even the most determined individual doubtful. The list of prerequisite knowledge goes something like this:

SQL
Excel
Machine Learning
Deep Learning
Then the technologies

The breadth of knowledge is just so overwhelming you're probably thinking, boy which year am I going to finish learning all these, before I start scouting for job.

Honestly speaking you don't need all of what you saw up there to get started as a data analyst, at least not in Nigeria. I'll show you the three most important things you need to know and you can learn them in just 4 months to become a data analyst. Forget about all the fancy words and the fluffs, let's focus for once on what the employer wants from you.

In Nigeria, the duty of a junior data analyst doesn't require that you're able to write some fancy high tech machine learning and deep learning algorithms. No, you don't need that. Most employers in Nigeria don't have a need for that and in any case, companies who would need such algorithm already have senior data analysts who are paid above #500,000 that could handle such task. You, on the other hand just want a beginner position with pay range between #150,000 - #250,000, why should anyone labour you with a PhD level task?.

First, potential employers would want that you're able to collect and clean up data. Here I'm not talking of data mining, that's above you. You just need to be able to gather the different internally generated data by your employer, format them properly, and feed them into your employer's preferred data analytics tool.

To learn this important skills, you only need to become proficient in Microsoft Excel and SQL. Well, you can't be seriously looking for job as a data analyst without a good knowledge of Microsoft Excel. But again, the good news is if you are serious, you can learn enough of Excel to gain confidence in 3-weeks. Once you get the hang of the software, it becomes easy. You can always google your way through any challenging task. That, by the way, is a life-skills to acquire. The solution to virtually every challenge you'll encounter as a junior data analyst, is somewhere on the internet. You just have to learn to use the internet and Google properly.

Contact me for a link to a crash course on Excel. Or if you are into MOOC, Edx.org has some great excel tutorials. Just google : “edx excel courses”.

Of the three skills you will need to learn to land a beginner job as a data analyst, SQL is probably the most challenging. Just to give you an idea of how difficult it is, any serious person can learn SQL in 2 months, take it or leave it. I learnt MySQL in less than 2-month. To deepen my understanding, I spent the next one month solving task on leetcode.com and hackerrank. Whatever path you take, I really recommend you spend some time on hackerrank. They have an amazing collection of challenges that will force you to take your SQL skills to the next level.

w3schools.com
tutorialspoint.com

You should also check out MikeDane's free mysql course on mikedane.com. I totally recommend that. His course gave me the easy and quick introduction I needed to get started with SQL. If you still want something tailored,a that's going to get you job ready in less than 2-months, reach me on whatsapp

Your second task as a data analyst, is developing the ability to draw up insight from data. As a data analyst, you need to have a problem-solving mentality. That's why you're being paid. Your employer hopes to see some flashes of brilliance occasionally from you. You play with data, you spot trends that could help cut cost, improve sales or management efficiency, then you become indispensable.

The only way you can effectively pull out meaningful insights from data is when you are genuinely interested in your employer's business. As a data analyst, you're not an outsider in the company, you're a part of the strategic decision making. So, you're always thinking of the customer, always thinking of the product, and management efficiency.

And to be able to play with data and spot trends, you only need to learn Excel, Mysql and Tableau. Later when you secure a job as a junior data analyst, you can learn SAS and Hadoop for big data analysis. That brings us to the third skills you need to have to be job ready.

The third skills you need is the ability to communicate your findings in a visually appealing and orally compelling manner. Your superior is probably non techy and certainly don't have time to waste, so your data visualization skills have to be good, and the good news is you can learn that in 5-weeks.
Companies want someone who can help them present data in a fancy way, just like you see with BudgIT.

To acquire all you need to do great data visualization, you need to learn Tableau – it's the no.1 data visualization software, and it is free. 90% of tableau is quite intuitive and easy to understand. And that 90% is what you need to master, to do great visuals. If you can put in 5-hour everyday for one to two months, that's all you need. Master that software and you're ready for job.

Again contact me for a free Tableau course.

So, may be you just graduated university or you're thinking of switching profession, instead of spending the next one to two years trying to acquire the backlog of skills needed to be a Kaggle level data scientist, spend the next 4 to 5 months, acquire these three skills, change your resume and get a job as a data analyst. (If you need help with getting job as a data analyst, message me on whatsapp). Once you are in the job, you can spend your free time learning programming, mathematics, statistics and other technologies needed for senior level data analytics.

If you're ready to put in the work, I provide an immersive one month FREE coaching.
CALL NOW: 08180905003

3 Likes

Re: How To Become A Data Analyst In 3-months by justli: 3:04pm On Jul 12, 2019
Emmitex:
Which is your phone number? Is it 0818090500(4) as in your signature or 0818090500(3) as in your post.

Pls use: 08180905003
Re: How To Become A Data Analyst In 3-months by BitCraftman: 4:41am On Dec 24, 2019
What about MS excel or spreadsheets? Statistics software also? Relational DB design and structuring? I saw on YouTube that they are also needed.
Re: How To Become A Data Analyst In 3-months by taskcompleteng: 7:35am On Dec 25, 2019
Wow oh this is educative
Re: How To Become A Data Analyst In 3-months by justli: 11:46am On Jan 09, 2020
BitCraftman:
What about MS excel or spreadsheets?
Statistics software also? Relational DB design and structuring?
I saw on YouTube that they are also needed.

Excel is an absolute essential as stated above.

Database design and structuring is gearing towards database architecture and warehousing.

This thread, however, is for people interested in data analytics. And all you need is ability to set up a tables and basic SQL knowledge to query them.

What I present is the option that offers the least barrier to entry.
Re: How To Become A Data Analyst In 3-months by justli: 11:47am On Jan 09, 2020
taskcompleteng:
Wow oh this is educative

Thank you
Re: How To Become A Data Analyst In 3-months by BitCraftman: 9:57am On Jan 10, 2020
justli:

Excel is an absolute essential as stated above.

Database design and structuring is gearing towards database architecture and warehousing.

This thread, however, is for people interested in data analytics. And all you need is ability to set up a tables and basic SQL knowledge to query them.

What I present is the option that offers the least barrier to entry.
OK.
Re: How To Become A Data Analyst In 3-months by MachineLearning: 12:26pm On Jun 01, 2020
I am trying to break into the IT world in Nigeria starting with a data analysts position... I have already learnt python, excel and Tableau for data analytics... My problem is this SQL has different kinds but I have narrowed it down to this two... Oracle SQL and MySQL please which should I learn first to help me quickly land my first data analyst position.
Re: How To Become A Data Analyst In 3-months by MachineLearning: 12:49pm On Jun 05, 2020
justli:

In

Thank you for this good work you are doing... I completed that course you recommended on MySQL by Mike Dane....It was really straight forward and I thank God for meeting you here

But concerning that course, towards the last one hour, he talked about ER diagrams and database Schema....I want to ask, as an entry level Data Analyst is designing a database using ER diagram part of my job function.. Is that not supposed to be the job of a Database Architech ? Do I need to stress myself on database design using Schema and ER diagrams or I should focus on other parts of SQL, Tableau and languages like Python and R more related to Data Analytics?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Become A Data Analyst In 3-months by justli: 1:47pm On Jun 05, 2020
MachineLearning:

Thank you for this good work you are doing... I completed that course you recommended on MySQL by Mike Dane....It was really straight forward and I thank God for meeting you here

But concerning that course, towards the last one hour, he talked about ER diagrams and database Schema....I want to ask, as an entry level Data Analyst is designing a database using ER diagram part of my job function.. Is that not supposed to be the job of a Database Architech ? Do I need to stress myself on database design using Schema and ER diagrams or I should focus on other parts of SQL, Tableau and languages like Python and R more related to Data Analytics?

Absolutely, you really don't need the ER diagram. I for one don't need it in discharging my job as a data analyst. Like you said, just focus on learning the query very well.
If in any case a job requires ER, the organization would make provision and you'd easily pick up the skills.

Happy learning.
Re: How To Become A Data Analyst In 3-months by MachineLearning: 3:38pm On Jun 05, 2020
justli:

Absolutely, you really don't need the ER diagram. I for one don't need it in discharging my job as a data analyst. Like you said, just focus on learning the query very well.
If in any case a job requires ER, the organization would make provision and you'd easily pick up the skills.

Happy learning.

Thanks for this, let me fire on my mentor
Re: How To Become A Data Analyst In 3-months by Tobichuks08: 11:22pm On Jun 12, 2020
justli:

SQL
Excel
Machine Learning
Deep Learning
Then the technologies

But the truth is, you don't need all of what you saw up there to get started as a data analyst, at least not in Nigeria. I'll show you the three most important things you need to know and you can learn them in just 2 months to become a data analyst. Forget about all the fancy words and the fluffs, let's focus for once on what the employer wants from you.

In Nigeria, the duty of a junior data analyst doesn't require that you're able to write some fancy high tech machine learning algorithms. No, you don't need that. Most employers in Nigeria don't have a need for that and in any case, companies who would need such algorithm already have data scientists who are paid above #500,000 that could handle such task. You, on the other hand, just want a beginner position with pay range between #150,000 - #250,000, why should anyone labour you with a PhD level task?.

To learn this important skills, you only need to become proficient in Microsoft Excel and SQL. Well, you can't be seriously looking for job as a data analyst without a good knowledge of Microsoft Excel.

The good news is, if you are serious, you can learn enough of Excel to gain confidence in 3-weeks. Once you get the hang of the software, it becomes easy. You can always google your way through any challenging task. That, by the way, is a life-skills to acquire. The solution to virtually every challenge you'll encounter as a junior data analyst, is somewhere on the internet. You just have to learn to use the internet and Google properly.

If you are into MOOC, Edx.org has some great excel tutorials. Just google : “edx excel courses”.

Of the three skills you will need to learn to land a beginner job as a data analyst, SQL is probably the most challenging.

Just to give you an idea of how difficult it is, any serious person can learn SQL under 2 months, take it or leave it. I learned MySQL in less than 2-month. To deepen understanding, I spent time solving task on leetcode.com and hackerrank. Whatever path you take, I really recommend you spend some time on hackerrank. They have an amazing collection of challenges that will force you to take your SQL skills to the next level.

w3schools.com
tutorialspoint.com

You should also check out MikeDane's free mysql course on mikedane.com. I totally recommend that. His course will give you the easy and quick introduction you would need to get started with SQL.

Your second task as a data analyst, is developing the ability to draw up insight from data.

As a data analyst, you need to have a problem-solving mentality. That's why you're being paid. Your employer hopes to see some flashes of brilliance occasionally from you.

You play with data, you spot trends that could help cut cost, improve sales or management efficiency, then you become indispensable.

The only way you can effectively pull out meaningful insights from data is when you are genuinely interested in your employer's business.

As a data analyst, you're not an outsider in the company, you're a part of the strategic decision making. So, you're always thinking of the customer, always thinking of the product, and management efficiency.

The third skills you need is the ability to communicate your findings in a visually appealing and orally compelling manner. Your superior is probably non techy and certainly don't have time to waste, so your data visualization skills have to be good, and the good news is you can learn that in under 3 weeks.

To acquire all you need to do great data visualization, you need to learn Tableau – it's the no.1 data visualization software, and it is free. 90% of tableau is quite intuitive and easy to understand. And that 90% is what you need to master, to do great visuals. If you can put in 5-hour everyday for one months, that's all you need. Master that software and you're ready for job.

So, may be you just graduated university or you're thinking of switching profession, instead of spending the next one to two years trying to acquire the backlog of skills needed to be a Kaggle level data scientist, spend the next 3 months, acquire these three skills, get a professional resume and get a job as a data analyst.

Once you are in the job, you can spend your free time learning programming, mathematics, statistics and other technologies needed for senior level data analytics.

how much bro, am interested

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Become A Data Analyst In 3-months by justli: 11:28pm On Jun 13, 2020
Tobichuks08:
how much bro, am interested

Message me on WhatsApp please.
Re: How To Become A Data Analyst In 3-months by ges2019: 9:44pm On Jun 14, 2020
Tobichuks08:
do you offer payment on delivery?

Yes.
Re: How To Become A Data Analyst In 3-months by Tobichuks08: 10:42am On Jun 15, 2020
ges2019:

Yes.
your contact boss
Re: How To Become A Data Analyst In 3-months by Tobichuks08: 10:42am On Jun 15, 2020
justli:

Message me on WhatsApp please.
okay
Re: How To Become A Data Analyst In 3-months by aledc: 3:08pm On Jun 16, 2020
The most accessible way is to take video courses on platforms like skillshare or udemy. There you will find cheap but very valuable courses.
I have just completed a 52 hours javascript video course and I have learned a lot. You can find a video review of the course I have followed here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Ro4PPEdi0&feature=youtu.be

This is not the first course I did on udemy. I am also registered at skillshare where you pay just a monthy fee of about 10 bucks and you get access to thousands of courses. I think this is a great way to learn and accessible to everybody.
Re: How To Become A Data Analyst In 3-months by Omoboricash(m): 1:53pm On Jun 17, 2020
pls what is the cost implication for the three month training
justli:

SQL
Excel
Machine Learning
Deep Learning
Then the technologies

w3schools.com
tutorialspoint.com

1 Like

Re: How To Become A Data Analyst In 3-months by justli: 6:16pm On Jun 18, 2020
Omoboricash:
pls what is the cost implication for the three month training
Re: How To Become A Data Analyst In 3-months by trinityconcept(m): 8:42am On Aug 17, 2021
I must confess this thread has been helpful . it has given me insight on how to go about my journey

(1) (2) (Reply)

Business Ideas And Promotion Whatsapp Group / 7 Sure Signs That Your Workplace Is Toxic / Should This Make Me To Quit My Job?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.