Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,867 members, 7,802,798 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:47 PM

Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him (39334 Views)

Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 88th Birthday Today / Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 87th Birthday Today / Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 84th Birthday Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by elvido(m): 11:59am On Jul 13, 2019
TooNoisy:
Wole Soyinka for me is not just an icon but he is one of the most distinguished Nigerians who always stands for truth.

1. In his early twenties, he helped found the Pirates Confraternity which was originally supposed to stand for justice and truth.

2. In his early thirties he spoke against Biafra and his perceived injustice to the Igbo people. He even went to prison in his own country for speaking against Biafra.

3. In his forties he stood spoke against several military governments including the regime's of Obasanjo and later Buhari

4. In his early fifties he won the prestigious Nobel Prize for Literature. And please stop comparing him to Chinua Achebe. Achebe wrote only prose and never wrote Poetry or Plays. Soyinka wrote Prose, Poetry and Plays.

5. In his sixties he stood up to the draconian regime of Sani Abacha and had to escape on a motorcycle when Abacha tried to kill him.

6. At 76 he led the save Nigeria group to demand the immediate hand over to Goodluck Jonathan after Yaradua had been aware for several months. He led several demonstrations even at the age of 76.

7. At 85 today he is still speaking against Buhari and against evils in the society.

So when I see ill-mannered children insulting the sage, I wonder what these people have ever stood up for except to come online and throw tantrums.

Wole Soyinka is truly a legend!

Stop misleading people Achebe wrote both poetry, prose and play.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by nasoeb: 12:05pm On Jul 13, 2019
I always count myself special and lucky for sharing just the same day of birth with an Icon in the Nigerian Project.
Please Nairalanders, show some love, because today is my special day, my one day amongst the 365, My Birthday.
Let the "Likes & Shares" keep rolling in.
Thanks.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by themanderon: 12:09pm On Jul 13, 2019
ashala:
Looking at this picture and remembering the saying that smokers are liable to die young. Our man is 85 now ooo.

He probably stopped somewhere along the line.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by benji93: 12:09pm On Jul 13, 2019
Bros what is your problem? you didn't have to bring Achebe into this, the argument of whether Achebe deserves the nobel price in Literature is for the gods. The legend is resting now. I am sure his works are well appreciated in the literary world.This has been mentioned several times, the choice of who wins the nobel prize is made by a jury of academicians based on recommendations. I don't know who you are, but literary experts don't exactly come out ranting aobut stuffs like this. Plus i think what the other guy meant was proficiency. How proficient was Achebe in poetry per literary standards? If you don't know the criteria used for selecting the nobel laureates in literature, don't comment on it. As to whether the committee was fair is another matter, which probably will never be put to bed.Stop making a fuss where it isn't necessary. Move on Peace.
Mandeyy:
You're sense.less. Achebe wrote poetry too. Besides, Nobel prize for Literature is not judged by how many genres of art a writer wrote in. Achebe deserved a Nobel prize for literature. His problem was that he spoke against colonial domination.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Victorisoni3(m): 12:21pm On Jul 13, 2019
Trustme2:

He is speaking the language of the spirits there, and here you are asking of point? grin angry angry grin grin grin angry angry
Language of the spirit of akwassslallalalblsn u mean cheesy
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by benji93: 12:22pm On Jul 13, 2019
Careful guy, stop stirring up trouble.
TooNoisy:
Wole Soyinka for me is not just an icon but he is one of the most distinguished Nigerians who always stands for truth.

1. In his early twenties, he helped found the Pirates Confraternity which was originally supposed to stand for justice and truth.

2. In his early thirties he spoke against Biafra and his perceived injustice to the Igbo people. He even went to prison in his own country for speaking against Biafra.

3. In his forties he stood spoke against several military governments including the regime's of Obasanjo and later Buhari

4. In his early fifties he won the prestigious Nobel Prize for Literature. And please stop comparing him to Chinua Achebe. Achebe wrote only prose and never wrote Poetry or Plays. Soyinka wrote Prose, Poetry and Plays.

5. In his sixties he stood up to the draconian regime of Sani Abacha and had to escape on a motorcycle when Abacha tried to kill him.

6. At 76 he led the save Nigeria group to demand the immediate hand over to Goodluck Jonathan after Yaradua had been aware for several months. He led several demonstrations even at the age of 76.

7. At 85 today he is still speaking against Buhari and against evils in the society.

So when I see ill-mannered children insulting the sage, I wonder what these people have ever stood up for except to come online and throw tantrums.

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Victorisoni3(m): 12:24pm On Jul 13, 2019
kitombo:

Don't bother. If you know, you know!
Known to those dat knows best cool
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by worldclass68(m): 12:48pm On Jul 13, 2019
spinner500:
Happy birthday CB of Tortuga!

May you derio forever. Ahoy seadogs. . . Rum pyrates rum.

We chant!

Yoha to ur bones!

Ahoys!

Pointless altercating an atos . . . it could have been worse!

Seun, lalasticlala

gbefun......

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Kylekent59: 12:57pm On Jul 13, 2019
ZikZikZik:
Shey no be this guy introduce cultism ni abi how dem talk am againundecided

He introduced it for justice and not for violence. Nigerians turned it to supremacy battle.

Have you forgotten how some Nigerians behave?

When you create good thing / new ideas, there are people who would bastardize it.

Forget all those evil people saying he introduced cultism, the bad part of a story is always sweet and that's what people note easily, but avoid the good part.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Creeknigga(m): 1:18pm On Jul 13, 2019
TooNoisy:

4[b]. In his early fifties he won the prestigious Nobel Prize for Literature. And please stop comparing him to Chinua Achebe. Achebe wrote only prose and never wrote Poetry or Plays. Soyinka wrote Prose, Poetry and Plays.[/b]
[/b]
Are you okay?
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Doyenro23(m): 1:43pm On Jul 13, 2019
spinner500:

We chant!

Yoha to ur bones!

Ahoys!

Seun, lalasticlala

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Stillthebest: 2:07pm On Jul 13, 2019
mysteryman2014:

WS spent only 2yrs in Unibadan thereafter relocated to England and finished his first degree in Leeds University with Second Class Upper Division.

Ok bro.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Aidejay(m): 3:20pm On Jul 13, 2019
Jetrue3oo:
I said it that this is the result of too much weed.who send him,Are getting better Or worst?all I know the three majority tribes in Nigeria have all failed OK.
We are still crawling OK nothing changed.
Money,land,children, houses and e.t.c are not real change. A change in character, Attitude and thinking.
u tried, really......you did. You tried to sound intelligent and smart like a deep thinker like someone knowledgeable but you still failed badly. In the end you succeeded in whining and making no sense at all. Too much weed is what led wole and fela to sacrifice their youth for progress?
You are asking "who send him"? Well why won't you ask when you are in your little part of the world enjoying life as it is. And not running Helter skelter such comfort that you have data to come online and show your self as a dimwit
Are things getting better (that's the question right) well Mr jetrue for you thing can never be better because u have created the illusion in your head that makes it impossible for better things to happen to you or around you. So it's your personal view that will best define this stance.
The three majority tribes have failed in what way? Where were the others when they were failing? That they sat down and let the 3 majority fail or do u want to tell me that the minorities are disabled?
It's easy to say something or someone failed. But men and women have died hard sacrificing tooth and nail for others just for one nobody to come and generalize the failures of a few as the failures of all. How wonderful this is what free speech has afforded us, numbskulls speaking out of term oooh...! sorry, out of gross stupidity
We are not all crawling. U want to see crawling visit neighbouring African countries or Somalia or DR Congo and see crawling
You have decided to crawl it's nobody's fault that you are not up to the task
Money, land, children and houses is not real change depends on the context. Money land and houses is practically what people are fighting and dying for today. Children is another reason why people are fighting and dying so that their seed won't come and inherit problems.
Attitude, character and thinking are things you lack let everyone seek for what they lack.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Heavance(m): 3:41pm On Jul 13, 2019
Kimdly add, he did not graduate with a third class.....As many Nigerians say
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by dia4iam(m): 4:20pm On Jul 13, 2019
He liberated himself from random expectations of others and became his own man. In life, you have to learn to not give a Bleep about others, find a passion and stay true to it. . .Lessons I learnt from reading his autobiography.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Jetrue3oo: 6:20pm On Jul 13, 2019
Aidejay:
u tried, really......you did. You tried to sound intelligent and smart like a deep thinker like someone knowledgeable but you still failed badly. In the end you succeeded in whining and making no sense at all. Too much weed is what led wole and fela to sacrifice their youth for progress?
You are asking "who send him"? Well why won't you ask when you are in your little part of the world enjoying life as it is. And not running Helter skelter such comfort that you have data to come online and show your self as a dimwit
Are things getting better (that's the question right) well Mr jetrue for you thing can never be better because u have created the illusion in your head that makes it impossible for better things to happen to you or around you. So it's your personal view that will best define this stance.
The three majority tribes have failed in what way? Where were the others when they were failing? That they sat down and let the 3 majority fail or do u want to tell me that the minorities are disabled?
It's easy to say something or someone failed. But men and women have died hard sacrificing tooth and nail for others just for one nobody to come and generalize the failures of a few as the failures of all. How wonderful this is what free speech has afforded us, numbskulls speaking out of term oooh...! sorry, out of gross stupidity
We are not all crawling. U want to see crawling visit neighbouring African countries or Somalia or DR Congo and see crawling
You have decided to crawl it's nobody's fault that you are not up to the task
Money, land, children and houses is not real change depends on the context. Money land and houses is practically what people are fighting and dying for today. Children is another reason why people are fighting and dying so that their seed won't come and inherit problems.
Attitude, character and thinking are things you lack let everyone seek for what they lack.

I see pain and frustration in your matter,what I have said I have said it Yoruba, ibos and fulanis/hausa are the ones that keep this country in this present condition/mess.

For you continue crying fool
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Aidejay(m): 6:37pm On Jul 13, 2019
Jetrue3oo:

I see pain and frustration in your matter,what I have said I have said it Yoruba, ibos and fulanis/hausa are the ones that keep this country in this present condition/mess for you continue crying fool
this is getting boring. U see pain and frustration because ur life is painful and frustrating evidence of this are in your words.

Once in a while one forgets that nairaland has a very high percentage of mentality retarded individuals pretending to be okay
U have said rubbish and u stand by your rubbish nobody is responsible for the mess you will continue to find your self in due to your blindness and stupidity
Crying Who is crying ........... (guy u are obviously hallucinating)
Projecting your foolishness to others still makes u d fool and it's not my fault
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by kokomilala(m): 7:29pm On Jul 13, 2019
Soyinka, like Fela,were humanity's gifts to Nigeria.Sadly and oddly enough,we wasted them. Both bohemian and revolutionary.
Those who are invidious about Soyinka and who try to reduce his achievements to piecemeals need to he schooled in the appreciation of geniuses. And just like TooNoisy said ,no basis for the comparison of Soyinka and Achebe.Achebe was a better story teller,but Soyinka is a better writer ,intellectual and revolutionary, whose efforts are centered on social change and human freedom.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by ofiko123(m): 7:30pm On Jul 13, 2019
Happy birthday to wole Soyinka but I don't know that he is that old o...
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Smasma: 7:56pm On Jul 13, 2019
spinner500:

We chant!

Yoha to ur bones!

Ahoys!

Seun, lalasticlala

Most high lagger grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Amanee(f): 8:34pm On Jul 13, 2019
Achebe wrote poetry missiz undecided

TooNoisy:

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Jetrue3oo: 10:26pm On Jul 13, 2019
Aidejay:
this is getting boring. U see pain and frustration because ur life is painful and frustrating evidence of this are in your words.

Once in a while one forgets that nairaland has a very high percentage of mentality retarded individuals pretending to be okay
U have said rubbish and u stand by your rubbish nobody is responsible for the mess you will continue to find your self in due to your blindness and stupidity
Crying Who is crying ........... (guy u are obviously hallucinating)
Projecting your foolishness to others still makes u d fool and it's not my fault

OK I hear you you win
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Aidejay(m): 12:20am On Jul 14, 2019
Jetrue3oo:

OK I hear you you win
not a competition

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by NovusHomo(m): 3:25am On Jul 14, 2019
spinner500:

We chant!

Yoha to ur bones!

Ahoys!

Seun, lalasticlala

Ahoy CB, may your days remain rugged.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Adebowalay(m): 6:45am On Jul 14, 2019
Wow...this is enlightening.. : sad]

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jul 14, 2019
benji93:
Bros what is your problem? you didn't have to bring Achebe into this, the argument of whether Achebe deserves the nobel price in Literature is for the gods. The legend is resting now. I am sure his works are well appreciated in the literary world.This has been mentioned several times, the choice of who wins the nobel prize is made by a jury of academicians based on recommendations. I don't know who you are, but literary experts don't exactly come out ranting aobut stuffs like this. Plus i think what the other guy meant was proficiency. How proficient was Achebe in poetry per literary standards? If you don't know the criteria used for selecting the nobel laureates in literature, don't comment on it. As to whether the committee was fair is another matter, which probably will never be put to bed.Stop making a fuss where it isn't necessary. Move on Peace.
You don't know the criterion too. Must he mention Achebe? He first fanned the embers of ethnic discord by mentioning Achebe. Condemn him, not me. Besides, well known literary giants have confirmed that Achebe merited it. I'm not here to argue who's greater. Both Soyinka and Achebe are my brothers. He was a legend when he was alive, and his greatness has not diminished even in death.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Nobody: 8:20pm On Jul 14, 2019
patorial:

What's of people that died of diabetes? Does smoking cause diabetes too?
You've deviated to another topic. What has diabetes got to do with the issue at hand? Later, when you see a diabetic who lives up to 90 years, you'll still say, "I thought they said that diabetics are liable to die Young". That line of argument is faulty.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Girl Called Fib & The Axe Of Fury / Robinson Crusoe: Who Else Remembers This Novel? Indomie Generation Stay Off. / What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.