Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,240 members, 7,807,810 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:41 PM

10 Most Common Misconceptions About Acne (Pimples) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 10 Most Common Misconceptions About Acne (Pimples) (32569 Views)

All You Need To Know About Acne, Pimples, Blackheads Etc! / 5 False Beliefs About Acne / Acne Facts: What You Need To Know About Acne (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Most Common Misconceptions About Acne (Pimples) by JayKayMaybachz(m): 9:55am On Jul 13, 2019
There are plenty of misconceptions out there regarding acne causes and development. Understanding acne means sorting through fact and fiction.

Many of the beliefs we hold about the causes of acne are actually myths. Let's take a look and uncover the truth about what really causes acne and what doesn't.
Acne [Pimples] is a disorder of the pilosebaceous unit, or what we commonly call the hair follicle or pore.

Excess oil, dead skin cells, and bacteria become trapped within the follicle, creating an impaction. If the follicle wall ruptures, inflammation occurs and a pimple is created.

1) Diet causes acne

Contrary to popular believe, no proof has been found that acne is caused by a diet. Chocolate causing acne is the most common misconception there is about acne. Several scientific studies have been performed on this subject, but none of them could confirm this theory. Other food like sugar oil, milk and seafood are not known to cause acne.

2) Popping pimples helps.

Popping pimples will not help you to get rid of them. They might go away for a few hours, but will always come back worse. If you pop a pimple you are opening the wound so bacteria and dirt can get in to cause redness and infections.

3) Washing your face helps fights acne.

Washing your face will get your face clean of dirt, but it will also dry out and irritate your skin. So wash your face at most twice a day with a gentle soap and do not rub it clean or dry to avoid irritating the skin.

4) Only teenagers have acne.

Most teenagers have acne and in most cases these problems will clear up when they reach their 20s, but some people still have acne problems when they are 30 or 40.

5) The sun will clear your acne.

The sun might help clear your acne on the short term, because it will dry the skin. But it is not a good remedy for acne on the long run. Usually your acne will come back after a while and probably will be worse. Best way is to protect your skin by using sunscreen.

6) Makeup gets you acne.

Choose makeup that is non-acnegenic or non-comedogenic, so they won't clog your pores. For people with severe acne, best is not to use makeup at all. If you're not sure about what cosmetics to use consult your dermatologist or doctor.

7) You can stop medication ones your acne is cleared.

Don't stop your medication without consulting your doctor or dermatologist. If you stop your medication to soon, your acne might come back.

cool Stress causes acne.

Acne may cause stress, but not the other way around. Some stress medication may cause acne as a side effect. If you're not sure if your drug gives you acne, consult your doctor.

9) Acne can be cured.

No cure for acne has been found yet, but there are a lot of treatments available for reducing acne and acne scarring.

10) You can't help acne scarring.

The best way to prevent acne scarring is to prevent acne itself. If your treat your acne early and for as long as it takes, you can minimize scarring.

https://www.streetdirectory.com/etoday/the-10-most-common-misconceptions-about-acne-upppou.html

https://www.verywellhealth.com/top-acne-myths-15538

2 Likes

Re: 10 Most Common Misconceptions About Acne (Pimples) by yemmybx(m): 11:07am On Jul 13, 2019
Wow!
Re: 10 Most Common Misconceptions About Acne (Pimples) by dayleke: 11:07am On Jul 13, 2019
OP,
You no put "It's caused by Staph"?

Everything for Naija na Staphylococcus cause am o. grin grin

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Most Common Misconceptions About Acne (Pimples) by lonelydora: 11:07am On Jul 13, 2019
Just Negodu! Why won't Nigerians believe all these jargons when we have refused to think.

Is it not in this country, we were told to bath 'salt water' that it prevents Ebola?

Is it not in this Port Harcourt people scampered and took cover because someone said the rain that was falling was 'acid rain' and it burns skin if it touches you?

Is it not in this country many girls believe that semen prevents acne and makes someone's face smooth?

We need another school to unteach many people the things they believed.

24 Likes

Re: 10 Most Common Misconceptions About Acne (Pimples) by TheFacelessMan: 11:07am On Jul 13, 2019
lipsrsealed

Many years back, a GF told me semen cures it.

Her ex BF obviously fooled her into facials.

May God forgive the lies and sins of Men cheesy

PS - I hope Nigeria makes the final of AFCON, i have a good story lined up.

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Most Common Misconceptions About Acne (Pimples) by Oladefemi007(m): 11:08am On Jul 13, 2019
Hmmmm, okay
Re: 10 Most Common Misconceptions About Acne (Pimples) by way34: 11:08am On Jul 13, 2019
interesting
Re: 10 Most Common Misconceptions About Acne (Pimples) by Nobody: 11:08am On Jul 13, 2019
11. Groundnut causes acne

61 Likes

Re: 10 Most Common Misconceptions About Acne (Pimples) by ksstroud: 11:09am On Jul 13, 2019
undecidedft
Re: 10 Most Common Misconceptions About Acne (Pimples) by kenbee(f): 11:09am On Jul 13, 2019
Not having enough sex or having so much unused simen should be number one on the list.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Most Common Misconceptions About Acne (Pimples) by Nobody: 11:09am On Jul 13, 2019
Nice one
Re: 10 Most Common Misconceptions About Acne (Pimples) by Iterebe: 11:09am On Jul 13, 2019
wink
Re: 10 Most Common Misconceptions About Acne (Pimples) by Nobody: 11:09am On Jul 13, 2019
I think eating much of oily food causes acne I've experienced it.

17 Likes

Re: 10 Most Common Misconceptions About Acne (Pimples) by Kenzico(m): 11:10am On Jul 13, 2019
TheFacelessMan:
lipsrsealed

Many years back, a GF told me semen cures it.

Her ex BF obviously fooled her into facials.

May God forgive the lies and sins of Men cheesy

The dude was busy doing facial cumshot all through

grin grin grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Most Common Misconceptions About Acne (Pimples) by optimismlaz(m): 11:11am On Jul 13, 2019
Wow so I made it. Groundnut dey cause pimples according to my class mate then
Re: 10 Most Common Misconceptions About Acne (Pimples) by OceanEye: 11:12am On Jul 13, 2019
I am a victim of acne infection for a decade now. Though I have seen tremendous changes, almost cleared off, I still experience it's attack anytime I refuse to abide by the following rules:

1. Do not eat groundnut or butter cream ( you can use bammer for your bread though)
2. Do not eat fried egg ( you can eat boilled one or cooked one)
3.Do not use antiinflammatory creams. Such as funbact A etc.
4. If you are not too dark-skined, use a light bleaching cream, such as carotone bsc. Etc.
5. Add antiseptic liquid to your bathing water.
6. Always move around with a comb and handkerchief.

7 Likes

Re: 10 Most Common Misconceptions About Acne (Pimples) by Raydos: 11:13am On Jul 13, 2019
Marathon sexual intercourse can also make you have pimples, it doesn't always have to do with puberty stage blah blah blah!!

If you sex all night, be ready for pimples all day!!

4 Likes

Re: 10 Most Common Misconceptions About Acne (Pimples) by larry90500(m): 11:14am On Jul 13, 2019
12 Butter causes acne grin
AntiBrutus:
11. Groundnut causes acne

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Common Misconceptions About Acne (Pimples) by dejonathan(f): 11:14am On Jul 13, 2019
Sonfethopia:

Where u come from?
Na from Jupiter the foolish guy came from

2 Likes

Re: 10 Most Common Misconceptions About Acne (Pimples) by JubrinElSudan: 11:14am On Jul 13, 2019
Constant release of sperm (either via sex or masturbation) causes Acne in men

7 Likes

Re: 10 Most Common Misconceptions About Acne (Pimples) by NwaJozi: 11:15am On Jul 13, 2019
Wow

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

#SaveMayowa Is Not A Scam - Family, Nigerians Slam Linda Ikeji / COVID-19: Unilag Produces Ambuvalent Ventilator / Psychiatric Doctor In The House: Advise On Psychological And Mental Health Issue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.