Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,480 members, 7,781,417 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:07 PM

Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch (43605 Views)

NDLEA Arrests Bandits In Ondo Forest With Explosives, Busts Crystal Meth Network / Disobey My Order At Your Peril - Akeredolu Warn Herdsmen In Forest Reserve / Herdsmen Storm Ekiti Forest Reserve, Destroy Multi-million Naira Maize Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch by jlinkd78(m): 7:29am On Jul 14, 2019
G
Re: Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch by Hottdawgg: 7:31am On Jul 14, 2019
Arm vigilantes all over the south with AK47.

There can only be peace when there is a balance of terror. For those who think this will lead to further loss of lives, more innocent lives will be lost over a long period of time without a real solution.

The locals should take back their forest.

2 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch by OkCornel(m): 7:32am On Jul 14, 2019
Interesting...

Time for each state in the middle belt and the south to speed up their ranching program to meet up their demand for beef and other cattle/livestock related product...

Then outlaw cattle herding in those states...

The herdsmen can limit their madness up north...

1 Like

Re: Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch by oilPUSSY(f): 7:37am On Jul 14, 2019
Staro:
Fresh facts emerged on Saturday that herdsmen have converted the Ondo Government reserve located in the Odigbo Local Government Area into a militia camp.

This indication buttressed the widespread claim that killers of Mrs Funke Olakunrin, 58-year-old daughter of the leader of pan-Yoruba socio-cultural organisation, Afenifere, Chief Reuben Fasoranti, were herdsmen who sneaked out of the reserve to rain bullets on the vehicle she was travelling in.

Olakunrin was killed on Friday as the gunmen ambushed vehicles on the highway and abducted some commuters. Her maid reportedly sustained some gunshot injuries during the attack.

Killers of Fasoranti’s daughter have their base in the forest, say villagers

A former senator who represented Ondo South Senatorial District at the Senate, Boluwaji Kunlere, said hoodlums had been operating around where Olakunrin was killed for a long time.

He said this in an interview with one of our correspondents in Lagos on Saturday.

Kunlere said, “I beefed up security in the area when I was in the Senate. I gave 13 Hilux vans to the police divisions in Ondo South Senatorial District and gave motorcycles to the Department of State Services for surveillance.

“I think the police do not have the manpower to ensure adequate security in the area. The expressway (Benin-Ore-Sagamu Expressway) is where the major problem is. The spot (Kajola) where they killed Baba Fasoranti’s daughter falls between Odigbo and Okitipupa Local Government territory.

“The people living close to the area said Fulani herdsmen had taken over that area and there was a time a bishop was abducted and the police rescued him in that area. Herdsmen are all over the forest. We see them between Omotosho and Igbotako. They graze their cows on the road and strike and they run back to the bush.

“They have been operating there for long but the attack on Baba Fasoranti’s daughter was given a wide publicity because of the man’s influence. The downtrodden have been suffering there for long. There was a time that they exchanged gunfire with the police between Omotosho and Ore in the afternoon and they ran away when they discovered that the police would overpower them.

“When they attacked Chief Olu Falae’s farm then, the police said it was bush burning because of the fear of Abuja. They want to attribute this killing to armed robbers but the locals are saying the killers are herdsmen.

Some residents of Kajola town in the Odigbo council area who spoke with SUNDAY PUNCH insisted that some Fulani herdsmen terrorising the area were residing in the forest in the area.

One of the residents identified only as Mr Ola said the herdsmen behaved as if they were above the law, adding that it was not the first time they would perpetrate the act in the area.

He said, “They destroy our farms at will. Their cows always eat up many of our farm produce. We have reported several times to the police but no action was taken. We heard gunshots yesterday (Friday) and it is a common thing in the area. We call on the government to provide adequate security to protect our lives and property.’’

Also, a farmer in Kajola village who gave his name only as Mr Aliu, also said bandits had invaded forests surrounding the village.

He said there had been many criminal activities going on in the forest and nobody stopped them.

Aliu said, “The herdsmen that struck on the expressway yesterday (Friday) stay in the forest around the area. That is not their first time and that is how they operate. We have reported to security agents but nothing has been done about it. We are helpless. Government should come to our aid.”

Another resident who spoke on condition of anonymity also reiterated that the reserve in the Odigbo council area had been inhabited for long by herdsmen.

He said though the reserve belonged to the government, community members now use the place for farming.

The resident, who is a prominent member of the National Association of Odigbo Local Government Students, said herdsmen rampage started in the area at the same time it became rampant in the country.

He said, “Villagers are aware of the activities of herdsmen in the area. There was a time herdsmen cut the wrist of a farmer who confronted them when they took their cows for grazing on his farm.

“The DPO of Ore Police Station intervened in the matter and spoke with members of the community. The vigilantes have had to confront them many times. The vigilantes later constructed a shed in the community and take turns to ensure security in the area. This is a development that is known to people in the community.’’

https://punchng.com/herdsmen-convert-ondo-govt-forest-reserve-into-militia-camp/

These herdsmen are only targeting Christian dominated states.

3 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch by ivandragon: 7:42am On Jul 14, 2019
PMB should keep refusing to acknowledge the truth.

His persistence in not admitting what is really happening is creating more problems.

These so called killer Fulani herdsmen are boko haram members who have spread into the south.

The ransoms they collect is part of what fuels the insurgency, some now use it for themselves, but the bottom line is that boko haram has spread beyond the north & is worse today than it was 5 years ago...

The day PMB admits that these guys are terrorists & would be treated as such, is the day a proper solution to the new wave of insecurity in the south would begin to be properly addressed.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch by helinues: 7:42am On Jul 14, 2019
Esseite:

Look beyond the headlines... the have indirectly created a RUGA there..

Are all Yoruba Ritualist? Are all Ibo into drug business? Are all Ijaw militants?

Read beyond the headlines
Re: Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch by Nemesis909: 7:48am On Jul 14, 2019
Camera phone no dey Nigeria again.
Re: Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch by Splashme: 7:58am On Jul 14, 2019
Nwodosis:
That's an idea of how RUGA settlements would have been in every non Fulanis state!

Exactly
You're right

3 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch by Racoon(m): 8:06am On Jul 14, 2019
"..The herdsmen that struck on the expressway yesterday (Friday) stay in the forest around the area. That is not their first time and that is how they operate. We have reported to security agents but nothing has been done about it.We are helpless. Government should come to our aid.”

5 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch by Nobody: 8:07am On Jul 14, 2019
ivandragon:

His persistence in not admitting what is really happening is creating more problems.

These so called killer Fulani herdsmen are boko haram members who have spread into the south.

The ransoms they collect is part of what fuels the insurgency, some now use it for themselves, but the bottom line is that boko haram has spread beyond the north & is worse today than it was 5 years ago...

The day PMB admits that these guys are terrorists & would be treated as such, is the day a proper solution to the new wave of insecurity in the south would begin to be properly addressed.

These Fulani animals don't have the same way of life as we southerners. They are not hedonistic, they don't build mansions, hotels or buy big cars. Unlike southern criminals, these raggedy, dirty and soulless Fulani bastards don't take to criminality because of sheer lust for money in order to enjoy life. So what then do they do with the millions of Naira they obtain in ransoms on a daily basis? What do they need this colossal amounts of money for? This should worry any right thinking person. The obvious answer is that they are using these monies to fuel their terrorism and expand their Fulanization agenda. They are arming themselves and recruiting more animals to unleash terror across Nigeria. That's the only thing they need millions in ransom for. That is the ugly truth.

If we're talking about money laundering and its link to terrorist financing, then this kidnapping menace perpetrated by Fulani Herdsmen is the only thing that our security agencies should be concerned about. But no, the idiots would leave the elephant in the room and chase after inconsequential yahoo boys in the South. We need to wake up and force this useless government to get its priorities right.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch by otokx(m): 8:21am On Jul 14, 2019
adonis89:
Just because of hatred 4 Jonathan , 2023 Presidency, all in a bid 2 taunt the Igbos, they kip supporting this evil regime .. Guess who is home 4 dinner? REALITY

Reality indeed.

3 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch by Firefire(m): 8:21am On Jul 14, 2019
infinitethrust:
Next level things

They should enjoy their next level jare and let us hear word. undecided

8 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch by Nobody: 8:29am On Jul 14, 2019
helinues:

Are all Yoruba Ritualist? Are all Ibo into drug business? Are all Ijaw militants?

Read beyond the headlines

The article says, they have created a settlement there and numerous attacks have emanated from there.. if drug dealers and ritualist are said to be in a confirmed location, what are the good ones still doing there if not partners in crime?

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch by freeze001(f): 8:36am On Jul 14, 2019
Nemesis909:
Camera phone no dey Nigeria again.

They have given you location abi? Go with ur camera phone and snap and bring back detailed pictures.

6 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch by FarahAideed: 8:40am On Jul 14, 2019
helinues:
As long as they are Nigerians and also non violent herdsmen, they are free

Did you read the article at all ? So it's okay for terrorist to run an open quasi military camp as long as they are Nigerians according to U?

9 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch by FarahAideed: 8:42am On Jul 14, 2019
ivandragon:

This how Boko Haram started in the north with such robberies then by many men for years on Borno highways

7 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch by Splashme: 8:47am On Jul 14, 2019
oilPUSSY:

Lalasticlala Lalasticlala what do you have to say ?

I guess Lalasticlala is in church.

3 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch by OmoOshodi(m): 8:54am On Jul 14, 2019
Opc should just go straight to the bush to fight them.... Why beating chest outside like a baboon

5 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch by FarahAideed: 8:56am On Jul 14, 2019
Hedonini:

These Fulani animals don't have the same way of life as we southerners. They are not hedonistic, they don't build mansions, hotels or buy big cars. Unlike southern criminals, these raggedy, dirty and soulless Fulani bastards don't take to criminality because of sheer lust for money in order to enjoy life. So what then do they do with the millions of Naira they obtain in ransoms on a daily basis? What do they need this colossal amounts of money for? This should worry any right thinking person. The obvious answer is that they are using these monies to fuel their terrorism and expand their Fulanization agenda. They are arming themselves and recruiting more animals to unleash terror across Nigeria. That's the only thing they need millions in ransom for. That is the ugly truth.

If we're talking about money laundering and its link to terrorist financing, then this kidnapping menace perpetrated by Fulani Herdsmen is the only thing that our security agencies should be concerned about. But no, the idiots would leave the elephant in the room and chase after inconsequential yahoo boys in the South. We need to wake up and force this useless government to get its priorities right.

I have always pointed it out that the kidnapping are used to fund expansionist driven terrorism just like their cattle trade

9 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch by Staro: 9:54am On Jul 14, 2019
FarahAideed:

I have always pointed it out that the kidnapping are used to fund expansionist driven terrorism just like their cattle trade

You may be right

4 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch by Artistree: 10:05am On Jul 14, 2019
Staro:

That is Nigeria for you.
Fulani herdsmen have been terrorising that axis for long.

The downtrodden have been suffering and crying but no action.
I guess now that a prominent man's daughter is involved they will take action.
That was the same axis I was attacked on my way to Lagos on April 30th 2018, I broke my right ankle while running for my dear life. I lost a lot but grateful cos I could have been shot.

Those people are heartless and surprisingly, both the DPO at Kajola police station and the villagers are aware of the nefarious activities of these herdsmen but can't seem to do anything.
I'm always very scared of traveling since that incident...

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch by nwanyionitsha: 11:29am On Jul 14, 2019
kayusely70:
Why speaking out now?
So you didn't read that they have been complaining and reporting since and nothing was done.

5 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch by RTSC: 12:56pm On Jul 14, 2019
freeze001:

The news is telling u of their violent and criminal nature you are still yarning trash here. I know you love and support all things northern/buhari/APC related but you cannot run away from the truth forever. It will catch up with and disgrace ur kind.
Igbos should mind their business for once.

Allow this Yoruba carry their load.

As you can see, they don't care or pretend not to.

Very soon, they would claim igbos are the herdsmen that wants to spoil their "friendship" with Fulani.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch by Beremx(f): 1:20pm On Jul 14, 2019
Lalasticlala, this thread should be on front page. If not for anything, at least to let people know when they travel that axis.

Front page please.

4 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch by Wiseandtrue(f): 1:37pm On Jul 14, 2019
Staro:
Fresh facts emerged on Saturday that herdsmen have converted the Ondo Government reserve located in the Odigbo Local Government Area into a militia camp.

This indication buttressed the widespread claim that killers of Mrs Funke Olakunrin, 58-year-old daughter of the leader of pan-Yoruba socio-cultural organisation, Afenifere, Chief Reuben Fasoranti, were herdsmen who sneaked out of the reserve to rain bullets on the vehicle she was travelling in.

They have been operating there for long but the attack on Baba Fasoranti’s daughter was given a wide publicity because of the man’s influence. The downtrodden have been suffering there for long. There was a time that they exchanged gunfire with the police between Omotosho and Ore in the afternoon and they ran away when they discovered that the police would overpower them.

https://punchng.com/herdsmen-convert-ondo-govt-forest-reserve-into-militia-camp/

Re: Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch by Staro: 1:47pm On Jul 14, 2019
Artistree:

That was the same axis I was attacked on my way to Lagos on April 30th 3018, I broke my right ankle while running for my dear life. I lost a lot but grateful cos I could have been shot.

Those people are heartless and surprisingly, both the DPO at Kajola police station and the villagers are aware of the nefarious activities of these herdsmen but can't seem to do anything.
I'm always very scared of traveling since that incident...

Chai .... that's serious!
May God guide and protect you now and always.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Massive Rally Ongoing In Makurdi Benue For Buhari. Pics / Video Of Lady Crying And Blasting Wike Over "Imposition Of Candidates" / Oyo Building Most Advanced Silos In Nigeria (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.