Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,881 members, 7,806,544 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:03 PM

In line with my promise to keep my constituency abreast of my daily activities. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / In line with my promise to keep my constituency abreast of my daily activities. (232 Views)

Sen.ifeanyi Ubah, Keeping His Constituency Abreast Of His Legislative Activities / Those In Line For The Succession Of The British Throne / How I spent 60 days without the conventional daily activities - By Jawolusy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

In line with my promise to keep my constituency abreast of my daily activities. by grassrootsig: 12:50pm On Jul 17, 2019
In line with my promise to keep my constituency abreast of my daily activities, here are the viewpoints of my legislative activities yesterday, Tuesday, 16th of July, 2019.

On the floor of the Senate, I co-sponsored an urgent motion which was presented by Senator (Dr.) Patrick Ayo Akinyelure of Ondo Central on the “State of insecurity in the Nation and gruesome murder of Mrs. Funke Olakunrin; daughter of Pa Reuben Fasoranti the NonAgenarian leader of Afenifere on July 12, 2019 by some armed gang and kidnappers along Akure-Ore Lagos Highway”.

Having noted the rising level of insecurity in our nation and the deplorable incessant killings and kidnappings of people by some criminals through incessant bush attacks on our major highways. The Senate expressed deep concerns that these frequent insurgencies may soon result into breakdown of laws and order or etho-communal clashes in the southern part of the country if adequate measures are not taken to fish out the perpetrators of these criminal acts.

The Senate also noted that despite the assurances received from security agencies, that they are on top of the security situations; emphasizing on the fact that the existing security measures in place have not effectively and satisfactorily addressed the security challenges in many parts of the country.

In view of these points raised, The Senate accordingly resolved to observe a “one minute” silence in honour of Mrs. Funke Olakunrin and many other Nigerians known and unknown who died in similar circumstances in recent times across the country. The Senate also resolved to draw the attention of the Federal Government to the continued rising level of insecurity and tension in different parts of the nation, as well as urge the Government to tackle the prevailing problem of insecurity which has created serious issues of social protection with its attendant effect on the business cycle and the nation’s economy. This is not far fetched from the fact that no foreign investor would be interested in moving their funds into high risk areas where there are incidents of major breakdown of law and order.

The Senate also resolved to urge the Service Chiefs to urgently review the scope and re-assess the operational roles of the security forces to effectively combat the different criminal activities in the country especially the recent increase in highway attacks. The Senate also urged the Federal Road Maintenance Agency (FEMA) to accelerate action in maintaining potholes on major potholes on Federal highways across the country where most of the perpetrators of this evil act of kidnapping and attacks on innocent citizens always hide to kill at will.

Conclusively, The Senate urged State Governors and Local Government chairmen to cooperate and collaborate with needed logistics in their respective states and local governments areas in this respect, while directing the Budget Office, The Senate Committees on Appropriation and Defence when constituted, to ensure that necessary funds are allocated in the 2020 Appropriation bill for the operations of joint patrol of Armed Forces and other security agencies.

(1) (Reply)

How Long Does It Take To Get Instalment Loans Approved? / Shi'ite Muslims Protesting Now In Abuja / Seven Year Old Halima Speaks Against Rape.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.