Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,304 members, 7,808,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:34 AM

85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest (8466 Views)

Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead / Meet Favour Fabian Chiekezi: The Winner Of ICPC National Essay Competition / Edo's Ikponmwosa Kingsley Osamede Wins National Essay Competition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest by OndoUpdates(f): 7:39am On Jul 18, 2019
Eighty-five students have been drawn across the country to compete in this year’s edition of a national essay competition to commemorate the 10th Wole Soyinka International Cultural Exchange Programme, with the theme ‘Freedom, Justice and Equity: The Children’s Intervention in the Renewal of the Nation’ holding in Akure, the Ondo State capital.

Speaking during the opening ceremony, Ondo State governor, Mr Rotimi Akeredolu, said social and physical development of young children have a direct impact on their overall academic growth and future prospect as adults.

Akeredolu said the younger generation should be given the best in order to secure the future, and build the nation.

He said: “You are very promising and deserve the best. I believe in your generation. We need a forum to talk to them in order to get the best from them. Your future is bright. I implore you to keep your head high because the sky is the limit.”

He commended the efforts of the Nobel laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, as a writer, activist, and someone who has contributed positively to the development of Nigeria society through his writings and teachings.

“We appreciate the efforts of Soyinka in the past 10 years of this programme; he deserves the highest honour this country can give. It is important to learn what he stood and fought for so that we can continue his struggle when he is gone,” Akeredolu said.

Earlier, Professor Segun Ojewuyi of the Department of Theatre, Southern Illinois University, United States of America, who is the leader of the team and a co-executive producer had appreciated the state for its investments in the programme.

He stated that the programme started in 2009 as part of efforts to search for a project with lasting impact on the world, and also to ensure that Soyinka’s legacy lives after him.

Ojewuyi said “The ethics and principles he has lived by will continue to affect our lives. We will celebrate him through his civic duties. We also wanted to invest in the future of our country with this programme, which runs globally.”

He disclosed that 85 students across the country would participate in the programme this year.

Source: https://tribuneonlineng.com/227228/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest by Skepticus: 2:37pm On Jul 19, 2019
cool

And they would get not more than 20k as prize money. Maybe with few books, pen etc.

Check out vanity reality shows like BBN, beauty pageant etc cashing out on a high.

See priorities. Looking at the nonsense that constitutes our value system, today, shows us why Nigeria and most of its citizenry, are a mess.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest by papaput2(m): 2:37pm On Jul 19, 2019
Ok
Re: 85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest by MkMel: 2:38pm On Jul 19, 2019
This is going to be a true test of their academic performances and intelligent quotient.

1 Like

Re: 85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest by Daniel2802(m): 2:38pm On Jul 19, 2019
SPACE BOOKED
Re: 85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest by KfashionHubb: 2:38pm On Jul 19, 2019
Youth arise

place your order now. K-fash delivers Nationwide. Check signature for WhatsApp number .link up now.
Re: 85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest by Hisxellency: 2:40pm On Jul 19, 2019
F
Re: 85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest by TGIFriday(m): 2:40pm On Jul 19, 2019
Nice One
Re: 85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest by ImmaculateJOE(m): 2:41pm On Jul 19, 2019
Space for sale
Re: 85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest by Kylekent59: 2:42pm On Jul 19, 2019
Our president beat Wole soyinka hands down.

I prefer smartness to brilliancy.

1 Like

Re: 85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jul 19, 2019
OK.

No 1
Re: 85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest by lexy2014: 2:42pm On Jul 19, 2019
Skepticus:
cool

And they would get not more than 20k as prize money. Maybe with few books, pen etc.

Check out vanity reality shows like BBN, beauty pageant etc cashing out on a high.

Seconded. I thought I was d only one thinking in that direction. Pls add fez cap& T-shirt to d list of gifts they will receive

2 Likes

Re: 85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest by popweezy(m): 2:45pm On Jul 19, 2019
How much is the prize for 1st
Re: 85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest by ChaleeBendel: 2:46pm On Jul 19, 2019
Interesting
Re: 85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest by Flairoqy(m): 2:47pm On Jul 19, 2019
planB54129x:
But guy u legit wise o, i go send u card? Lmao
Re: 85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest by Magnifico2000: 2:47pm On Jul 19, 2019
I know some people would still talk about big brother nigeria and some other reality shows.
Re: 85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest by mystic77(m): 2:47pm On Jul 19, 2019
lexy2014:

Seconded. I thought I was d only one thinking in that direction. Pls add fez cap& T-shirt to d list of gifts they will receive
Most of you do not know the impact of this, i will gladly win this with no cash option cause it will add to my profile. Winning a competion hosted by a nobel laureate winners, also acknowledged by the governor of ondo state. Everything isn't about the money, this competition will pave way for many of them cause they will believe they won on merit cause it was hosted by prof wole.

Reason why Nigeria has won U17 the most and turn out to be flops later? That is cause we are just after the money

2 Likes

Re: 85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest by Mentorkaryhm(m): 2:50pm On Jul 19, 2019
Less supports will b given to d winners, but let it b shows and programs that proclaim immoralities add no values to our lives. It is then u will see d winners getting millions and endorsement.
Re: 85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest by ademidedavid(f): 2:50pm On Jul 19, 2019
Skepticus:
cool

At least his contributing his own quota to the Nation..... Please appreciate him

2 Likes

Re: 85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jul 19, 2019
ImmaculateJOE:
Space for sale

1 Like

Re: 85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest by nailcapuzzi89(m): 2:52pm On Jul 19, 2019
God help those students
Re: 85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jul 19, 2019
U mean 85 future illiterates according to the chief cultist himself wink
Re: 85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest by Lovelyn451(f): 2:55pm On Jul 19, 2019
I hope someone impressed him, it'll be hard to find someone to write to his taste...this generation don't know book especially loquacious lagosians

1 Like

Re: 85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest by BomBellaBlog: 3:20pm On Jul 19, 2019
When prof is organizing an essay competition, bros una better carry dictionary o.
Re: 85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest by somehow: 3:22pm On Jul 19, 2019
When are you going to sponsor one so you can give out 10M prize money?
Skepticus:
cool

See priorities. Looking at the nonsense that constitutes our value system, today, shows us why Nigeria and most of its citizenry, are a mess.
Re: 85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest by dermmy(m): 3:22pm On Jul 19, 2019
OBJ should partake he likes writting letter grin
Re: 85 Students To Partake In Wole Soyinka National Essay Contest by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jul 19, 2019
Say after me. ... " OH GOD OF HEAVEN, GIVE ME SENSE! "
Kylekent59:
Our president beat Wole soyinka hands down.

I prefer smartness to brilliancy.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kogi State University Strike Suspended / NOUN MSc & PGD Information Technology Past Questions and Answers / APPLY TO 2019 NDDC MSC AND PHD SCHOLARSHIP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.