Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,728 members, 7,802,191 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:48 AM

Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or (45224 Views)

Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory / Man Utd Among Favourites For Europa League - Jose Mourinho / Anthony Joshua: Why Cristiano Ronaldo Is My Inspiration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by obembet(f): 2:17pm On Jul 18, 2019
Upon completing his move to Juventus, many wondered whether Cristiano Ronaldo would be able to keep his incredibly high standards whilst adapting to a new environment, yet he did just that and is once again among the favourites to win the Ballon d'Or.

Luka Modric broke the long-running Lionel Messi/Ronaldo duopoly of the award, with his performances for Real Madrid and Croatia putting a different name on the trophy for the first time since 2008.

At 34 years old, Ronaldo has continued to pursue perfection in Turin, although the club's disastrous defeat to Ajax in the Champions League left him visibly frustrated.

He added another league championship to his collection, whilst also lifting the Supercoppa Italiana, yet it was to be another summer of international success for the former Real Madrid forward.

After winning Euro 2016 with Portugal, Fernando Santos' charges lifted the inaugural UEFA Nations League trophy on home soil after recording victories over Switzerland and the Netherlands.

It was the semi-final victory over the Swiss which was Ronaldo's starring moment, he scored a hat-trick and became the first player to score in all of the top-tier international tournaments - World Cup, European Championship, Confederations Cup and the UEFA Nations League.

Unusually, Ronaldo didn't finish as the Capocannoniere in his debut season in Italy, with his haul of 21 Serie A goals being bettered by both Fabio Quagliarella and Duvan Zapata.

Liverpool's Premier League title challenge and their ultimate success in the Champions League has catapulted a number of their players into Ballon d'Or contention, not least Virgil van Dijk, thought by many to be the favourite.

Sadio Mane and Lionel Messi are expected to be in the running too, with the Argentine performing exceptionally for Barcelona in 2018/19, even if the team fell disastrously in the Champions League once more.

Despite the speculation, the Portuguese captain has attempted to kill suggestions that he is only motivated by individual awards.

"I don't live with an obsession about awards," Ronaldo explained.

"My numbers don't lie, this year I've won three titles and I've been good in the Nations League.

"What else can I do?"

Source: https://amp.marca.com/en/football/international-football/2019/07/18/5d304d60ca4741353e8b45bf.html

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by Lawrry(m): 2:19pm On Jul 18, 2019
Ororo

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by sojayy(m): 4:49pm On Jul 18, 2019
The real goat, no b asun......Messi right now grin

80 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by Threemg: 4:49pm On Jul 18, 2019
The REAL G.O.A.T.
The other one is a ..........

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by fwesharumi(m): 4:49pm On Jul 18, 2019
Like for Ronaldo and mane .. share for Messi and sallah

260 Likes 58 Shares

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by oneTIMEman(m): 4:49pm On Jul 18, 2019
The best ever

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by Konsult07(m): 4:49pm On Jul 18, 2019
Am just glad to see the healthy rivalry between football GOATs

12 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by nurex01(m): 4:49pm On Jul 18, 2019
Click share for Ronaldo

click like for Messi

201 Likes 254 Shares

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by Kingosytex(m): 4:49pm On Jul 18, 2019
It is unfortunate he can't win it.

He can't even come second. Lionel Messi and VVD are ahead of him in the ranking

34 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by wakes: 4:49pm On Jul 18, 2019
Wow
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by dalass(f): 4:50pm On Jul 18, 2019
obembet:
Upon completing his move to Juventus, many wondered whether Cristiano Ronaldo would be able to keep his incredibly high standards whilst adapting to a new environment, yet he did just that and is once again among the favourites to win the Ballon d'Or.

Luka Modric broke the long-running Lionel Messi/Ronaldo duopoly of the award, with his performances for Real Madrid and Croatia putting a different name on the trophy for the first time since 2008.

At 34 years old, Ronaldo has continued to pursue perfection in Turin, although the club's disastrous defeat to Ajax in the Champions League left him visibly frustrated.

He added another league championship to his collection, whilst also lifting the Supercoppa Italiana, yet it was to be another summer of international success for the former Real Madrid forward.

After winning Euro 2016 with Portugal, Fernando Santos' charges lifted the inaugural UEFA Nations League trophy on home soil after recording victories over Switzerland and the Netherlands.

It was the semi-final victory over the Swiss which was Ronaldo's starring moment, he scored a hat-trick and became the first player to score in all of the top-tier international tournaments - World Cup, European Championship, Confederations Cup and the UEFA Nations League.

Unusually, Ronaldo didn't finish as the Capocannoniere in his debut season in Italy, with his haul of 21 Serie A goals being bettered by both Fabio Quagliarella and Duvan Zapata.

Liverpool's Premier League title challenge and their ultimate success in the Champions League has catapulted a number of their players into Ballon d'Or contention, not least Virgil van Dijk, thought by many to be the favourite.

Sadio Mane and Lionel Messi are expected to be in the running too, with the Argentine performing exceptionally for Barcelona in 2018/19, even if the team fell disastrously in the Champions League once more.

Despite the speculation, the Portuguese captain has attempted to kill suggestions that he is only motivated by individual awards.

"I don't live with an obsession about awards," Ronaldo explained.

"My numbers don't lie, this year I've won three titles and I've been good in the Nations League.

"What else can I do?"

Source: https://amp.marca.com/en/football/international-football/2019/07/18/5d304d60ca4741353e8b45bf.html

Hell soon outgrow this grin

6 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by dykedarlyn(m): 4:50pm On Jul 18, 2019
I think he deserves it #Ororo

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by garfield1: 4:50pm On Jul 18, 2019
Ronaldo is out of it this year.its clearly between messi and van dyke and maybe mane if he wins afcon

26 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by garfield1: 4:51pm On Jul 18, 2019
dykedarlyn:
I think he deserves it
Based on

10 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by Jaytecq(m): 4:51pm On Jul 18, 2019
yawn.... then goes back to sleep embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by Tajbol4splend(m): 4:51pm On Jul 18, 2019
Bullshiit, Ronaldo ain't done a thing near what Hazard did last season, not at all, fool be gbaseje be reaping the hard labour of teammates

15 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by Martinez39(m): 4:51pm On Jul 18, 2019
Individually, no one performed better than Messi this season.

40 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by gebest: 4:52pm On Jul 18, 2019
Ronaldo did you know what you are? A complete he- G.O.A.T, yes greatest of all time.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by Foodforthought: 4:52pm On Jul 18, 2019
He's always among the favorites. Top 3 yes. But winner, I doubt
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by sunpaulomalabu(m): 4:52pm On Jul 18, 2019
Good for him FOR YOUR "THREE TRADE TEST" CALL THIS NUMBER; 07012894527
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by osemoses69: 4:52pm On Jul 18, 2019
Ororo like for Ronaldo share for asun Messi

57 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by Kingosytex(m): 4:53pm On Jul 18, 2019
dykedarlyn:
I think he deserves it #Ororo

Lio Messi and VVD deserve it better

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by emilas1979(m): 4:53pm On Jul 18, 2019
The He Goat Is The Real Goat
Lawrry:
Ororo

2 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by notoriousbabe: 4:55pm On Jul 18, 2019
Martinez39:
Individually, no one performed better than Messi this season.
says who?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by Samyj247: 4:55pm On Jul 18, 2019
my man...the only player that can never disappoint his fans. 2019 world best

7 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by ecclize: 4:55pm On Jul 18, 2019
Inside Disney dream land

3 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by Tajbol4splend(m): 4:55pm On Jul 18, 2019
nurex01:
Click share for Ronaldo

click share for Messi

How you take be like this

2 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by ovcwality(m): 4:55pm On Jul 18, 2019
i hope mane wins or messi, mane is a very hard working dude

8 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jul 18, 2019
The real GOAT

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Is Again Among The Favourites For The Ballon D'or by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jul 18, 2019
Juventus have won the serie A for 6 years before signing Ronaldo. He was expected to give them the champions league but they were humiliated by Ajax. His individual performance also was poor as he recorded his lowest tally in over 8 years. Portugal won the nations league but Ronaldo only played the semi finals and finals, no wonder Bernard silva was named player of the tournament. So tell me how he deserve the world best this season

35 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ahmed Musa And Juliet Ejue's Wedding In Abuja (Photos) / CAF African Champions League Final To Be Replayed. / MTN, Super Sports TV, Big Church Foundation Support Kick Against Rape Football

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.