Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,768 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:36 PM

Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? (3935 Views)

My Girlfriend Always Say This Word That Scare Me / Nigerians , What A Disgrace. / Why Do Guys Hate This Word So Much? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by vybzkartel: 10:54am On Jul 19, 2019
I am a Jamaica n who loves this platform and I am often here

But I often see this word 'AFONJA' usually with a goat's picture. Please what is the meaning?

Also, what is the problem between Igbo people and Yoruba people?

What is the meaning of oduduwa?

Who is Ekwensu?

Educate a bredda

One love

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by thesicilian: 10:58am On Jul 19, 2019
1. Afonja is a derogatory word the Igbos call the yorubas. Usually when they use it, they're essentially calling the person a goat.

2. There's no problem between the Igbo and the Yoruba, but the political elites have created these imaginary divisions between the ethnic groups to further their own selfish aims and it's only the ignorant ones among theses tribes that fall for it.

3. Oduduwa is a deified Yoruba historical figure, some call him God.

4. Ekwensu means devil in Igbo.

19 Likes

Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by vybzkartel: 11:01am On Jul 19, 2019
thesicilian:
Afonja is a derogatory word the Igbos call the yorubas

Oh that's bad

And why the goat picture? And why this seeming beef between those two sister tribes?
Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by tyup(m): 11:01am On Jul 19, 2019
vybzkartel:

But I often see this word 'AFONJA' usually with a goat's picture. Please what is the meaning?

Who is Ekwensu?

Educate a bredda

One love

they're all native languages only Nigerians can understand

thank you

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by PUSSYHOE(m): 11:08am On Jul 19, 2019
thesicilian:
1. Afonja is a derogatory word the Igbos call the yorubas. Usually when they use it, they're essentially calling the person a goat.

2. There's no problem between the Igbo and the Yoruba, but the political elites have created these imaginary divisions between the ethnic groups to further their own selfish aims and it's only the ignorant ones among theses tribes that fall for it.

What is jarunpa? when someone moves on bed while sleeping.
Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by vybzkartel: 11:09am On Jul 19, 2019
tyup:

they're all native languages only Nigerians can understand

thank you

My ancestors were taken into slavery from Nigeria, mi bredda I am no stranger
Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by vybzkartel: 11:10am On Jul 19, 2019
PUSSYHOE:
What is jarunpa? when someone moves on bed while sleeping.

Which lingua is that?
Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by tyup(m): 11:10am On Jul 19, 2019
vybzkartel:

My ancestors were taken into slavery from Nigeria, mi bredda I am no stranger

are you a Nigerian primitively?
Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by PUSSYHOE(m): 11:11am On Jul 19, 2019
vybzkartel:

Which lingua is that?
yoruba Nigeria lang
Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by Olorunnim: 11:15am On Jul 19, 2019
vybzkartel:

Oh that's bad

And why the goat picture? And why this seeming beef between those two sister tribes?
Afonja is actually a person,a Yoruba Warrior in the olden days.
Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by vybzkartel: 11:38am On Jul 19, 2019
Olorunnim:
Afonja is actually a person,a Yoruba Warrior in the olden days.

So why is it derogatory then?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by Olorunnim: 11:47am On Jul 19, 2019
vybzkartel:

So why is it derogatory then?
You see Afonja was a deserter, he betrayed his king and went to solicit for help of the Hausas to fight his king, and he was later betrayed by the Hausa also.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by vybzkartel: 11:55am On Jul 19, 2019
Olorunnim:
You see Afonja was a deserter, he betrayed his king and went to solicit for help of the Hausas to fight his king, and he was later betrayed by the Hausa also.

Oh kkz thanks so much for the education
And why the association of Afonja with goat picture?

Also, what is the bone of contention between igbos and Yoruba's?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by Olorunnim: 12:01pm On Jul 19, 2019
vybzkartel:

Oh kkz thanks so much for the education
And why the association of Afonja with goat picture?

Also, what is the bone of contention between igbos and Yoruba's?
I don't know the origin of the association of Afonja with the goat, but I can tell you that the Bone of contention between Yoruba's and Igbo is Politics, the Igbo believe we denied them the chance to produce a president and currently blame us for the current disaster we have as a president, because yoruba's Voted en-masse for him.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jul 19, 2019
thesicilian:

I love your response

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by vybzkartel: 12:36pm On Jul 19, 2019
Olorunnim:
I don't know the origin of the association of Afonja with the goat, but I can tell you that the Bone of contention between Yoruba's and Igbo is Politics, the Igbo believe we denied them the chance to produce a president and currently blame us for the current disaster we have as a president, because yoruba's Voted en-masse for him.

Oh kk,

I was thinking former president Jonathan was Igbo
Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by DAramis: 2:32pm On Jul 19, 2019
Olorunnim:
If actually what you wrote is really true from the historical point of view, the whole thing made sense to me.
Never knew that the name is associated with a great worrior who inadvertently lost out...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by IceColdVeins(m): 2:43pm On Jul 19, 2019
DAramis:

If actually what you wrote is really true from the historical point of view, the whole thing made sense to me.
Never knew that the name is associated with a great worrior who inadvertently lost out...
Afonja is a legend down the historical lane of Ilorin. The fable explains why Ilorin has diversified ethnics of some yoruba and hausa tribes.
Till now, 'AFONJA' is the royal title for Ilorin Kingdom...something like 'Afonja of Ilorin' as we have 'Sultan of Sokoto'.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by OgogoroDegree: 2:44pm On Jul 19, 2019
Hmmnnn..
Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jul 19, 2019
vybzkartel:

Who is Ekwensu?

Educate a bredda

One love
Below are pictorial meaning of AF0NJA

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jul 19, 2019
That's why this place is called Nairaland.

It's not for everyone.

No be everything you go know.

Just read threads go
Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by vybzkartel: 3:49pm On Jul 19, 2019
ladiesreject:
That's why this place is called Nairaland.

It's not for everyone.

No be everything you go know.

Just read threads go

No wonder u are a reject

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jul 19, 2019
vybzkartel:

No wonder u are a reject

Exactly!
Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jul 19, 2019
Olorunnim:
it wasnt the hausas but the fulanis he went to solicit for help

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by Olorunnim: 4:39pm On Jul 19, 2019
lefulefu:
Okay thanks.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by Olorunnim: 4:42pm On Jul 19, 2019
vybzkartel:

Oh kk,

I was thinking former president Jonathan was Igbo
No he's from the Niger Delta state of Bayelsa

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by Olorunnim: 4:43pm On Jul 19, 2019
lefulefu:
Okay thanks for the Tutoring, I thought it was Hausas grin
Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by respect80(m): 4:53pm On Jul 19, 2019
You better be a Jamaican otherwise if you are pretending, you will definitely be busted some day cos I trust nairalanders on that.

Just watch your back...
I don talk my own

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by hausadreturn(m): 4:58pm On Jul 19, 2019
While Afonja was actually a person, on nairaland, it's actually used by Igbos mostly for trolling and bantering.
In return, the Yorubas use "Igbos", or Flat head.
Because the back-side on the head of most Igbos tends to have a rather flat surface.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by BUSHYANUS(m): 5:01pm On Jul 19, 2019
Afonjaaaaaaa cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jul 19, 2019
Olorunnim:
Okay thanks for the Tutoring, I thought it was Hausas grin
cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerians, What Is The Meaning Of This Word? by anthonyuncle(m): 5:11pm On Jul 19, 2019
dz table u are shaking will break on ur head

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Undergraduate Friend Has Gotten Someone Pregnant / Asian Women Expresses They Love For These Fruits That Looks Like Joystick (pix) / Funny Reactions Trail As The Oba Of Benin Introduced His Daughter To Davido

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.