Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,974 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:49 AM

The Pain And Grievances Of A Stammerer - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Pain And Grievances Of A Stammerer (275 Views)

N-power Stipends Grievances: Farouq Reveals What Ministry Will Do / My Grievances Against Governor Aregbesola: What An Anti-climax / "PDP Caused Us The Pain We Are In Today" - Senator Akume (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Pain And Grievances Of A Stammerer by pich4real(m): 12:56pm On Jul 19, 2019
Hello everyone, my name is paul and am a serving corp member in bayelsa (N. Y. S. C) since childhood i have been battling with a speech disorder (stuttering), and for as long as i can remember it has made me an introvert.
Let me rewind to my school days, i can't vividly remember how i stuttered all through my primary school days, but I can during secondary school. It has made me build a wall around my self therefore making me less social and hard to access because It hurts, i mean it hurts so deep like a knife through the heart, you will only understand this if are in my shoes because you're becoming something or somebody your not. You have a lot to say or an issue to shed light on in the midst of your colleagues and the moment you open your mouth words fail you. In the midst of all you look stupid and your frozen. And that's because you don't know whether the next word coming straight out your mouth is going to sound like ma! ma!! ma! Na! Na! Name is paul, and by the time you open your eyes and your catching your breath to recover you are realising that there's a crowd in front of you and you just messed up big time.
When your done stuttering through every word and your taking your seat everyone is gonna be like "so this young man is a stammer" and that's the painful part and not all of us can deal with it.
Fast-forward to today, there was a meeting with my fellow corp members and my lg inspector was around, every coordinator spoke and it came to my turn to address the crowd, even before i stood up i was scared for myself, i was not scared of what to say but I was scared that my mouth would fail me leaving me stupid and empty in the faces my colleagues and just as I predicted, i stood up and i stammered my way all through. But as i looked at the faces of everyone while expressing my self and gesticulating with my hands I tried not to stutter but the more I tried not to the more I did, i was representing my group but it looked as If i failed them. I love vr to express my self, i love to be heard but i just cant deal with this, its tearing me apart, it making me feel empty, I don't want to be pitied on.
After the whole discussion and we closed, I couldn't look at the faces of everyone, I just bowed my head like a man drunk with regret and walked out.
Re: The Pain And Grievances Of A Stammerer by pich4real(m): 12:58pm On Jul 19, 2019
pich4real:
Hello everyone, my name is paul and am a serving corp member in bayelsa (N. Y. S. C) since childhood i have been battling with a speech disorder (stuttering), and for as long as i can remember it has made me an introvert.
Let me rewind to my school days, i can't vividly remember how i stuttered all through my primary school days, but I can during secondary school. It has made me build a wall around my self therefore making me less social and hard to access because It hurts, i mean it hurts so deep like a knife through the heart, you will only understand this if are in my shoes because you're becoming something or somebody your not. You have a lot to say or an issue to shed light on in the midst of your colleagues and the moment you open your mouth words fail you. In the midst of all you look stupid and your frozen. And that's because you don't know whether the next word coming straight out your mouth is going to sound like ma! ma!! ma! Na! Na! Name is paul, and by the time you open your eyes and your catching your breath to recover you are realising that there's a crowd in front of you and you just messed up big time.
When your done stuttering through every word and your taking your seat everyone is gonna be like "so this young man is a stammer" and that's the painful part and not all of us can deal with it.
Fast-forward to today, there was a meeting with my fellow corp members and my lg inspector was around, every coordinator spoke and it came to my turn to address the crowd, even before i stood up i was scared for myself, i was not scared of what to say but I was scared that my mouth would fail me leaving me stupid and empty in the faces my colleagues and just as I predicted, i stood up and i stammered my way all through. But as i looked at the faces of everyone while expressing my self and gesticulating with my hands I tried not to stutter but the more I tried not to the more I did, i was representing my group but it looked as If i failed them. I love to express my self, i love to be heard but i just cant deal with this, its tearing me apart, it making me feel empty, I don't want to be pitied on.
After the whole discussion and we closed, I couldn't look at the faces of everyone, I just bowed my head like a man drunk with regret and walked out.
Re: The Pain And Grievances Of A Stammerer by MapleSettlers: 5:02pm On Aug 05, 2019
first off, congrats on being bold and just being you! I can totally relate with EVERYTHING you are going through. I stutter myself and growing up back home was a struggle. and that made be become an introvert after being shamed in primary school. We have a longg way to go in nigeria in terms of disabilities, acceptance, respect and so on. as comedians still use the stutter line as a form of comedy which is so wrong on so many levels.
back to you Paul. I say keep being you.. it will take a while but just do you, let people know you stammer, develop a thick skin because sadly, people in our country will make fun of you and laugh in your face which should NEVER be the case but you have to be thick skinned. and live your life because it could be worse. You have to accept this part of you because its not going anywhere. Cheer up.

Please read and listen to my blog and podcast about stammering as I am trying to bring awareness to our community. Thank you.

https://theafricanstutterer.home.blog/

https://anchor.fm/tas0

pich4real:
Fast-forward to today, there was a meeting with my fellow corp members and my lg inspector was around, every coordinator spoke and it came to my turn to address the crowd, even before i stood up i was scared for myself, i was not scared of what to say but I was scared that my mouth would fail me leaving me stupid and empty in the faces my colleagues and just as I predicted, i stood up and i stammered my way all through. But as i looked at the faces of everyone while expressing my self and gesticulating with my hands I tried not to stutter but the more I tried not to the more I did, i was representing my group but it looked as If i failed them. I love vr to express my self, i love to be heard but i just cant deal with this, its tearing me apart, it making me feel empty, I don't want to be pitied on.

(1) (Reply)

Celebrity Marriage: Alexreports Weds In Grand Superb Ceremony At Anambra State / Jailbroken Ps4 For Sale with 9 games installed! #90k Get In!! 08148201303 / How To Make $10 Or More Money On Your Poll Pay App In A Day All For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.