Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,277 members, 7,807,930 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:01 PM

Opinions Needed About Car Tracking - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Opinions Needed About Car Tracking (1154 Views)

Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. / 5 Terrifying Facts About Car Pollution That Everyone Should Know / 2006 - 20011 Honda Civic. Opinions Needed Pleeeeease (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinions Needed About Car Tracking by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jul 19, 2019
Pls good people I need ur opinions before I take an action. In June 2018, I installed a tracker in my car. I saw a post on nairaland, called them and we reached an agreement. Cost me about 45k to get it installed play subscription. They told me I have to pay 10k every year for subscription. Everything went well. Fast forward a year later, they called me that my subscription will expire around June 28th this year and I told them I will subscribe that they should give me some time.

On July 15th, my wife took the car out and when she came back she parked it outside. In the evening I wanted to go out and alas car refused to start. 8n fact no dashboard light came on, radio was working but no lights on the dashboard, car won't start. The first thing that came to my mind was maybe car lost memory to key. I got the extra key, same thing. Checked fuse boxes nothing. I even called a technician and as he was about fiddling with my ecu (he even suggested my ecu was bad) and I asked him to stop. It was then it occured to me that it might be the tracking device. I called this tracking company and they didn't pick the phone. So I had to check my email achives from last year and found the mail they sent me that included the command to reactivate the car when it remotely shuts down. I did the command on my phone and within 10 seconds car started. Now imagine if I gave the car to someone or didn't remember it was the tracker I would have messed with my electricals and ecu.

The next morning I was driving out and this same thing happened again, while in motion car shut down and refused to start in the middle of the road. I quicky used my phone did the command and it started. Then I called the tracking company and the guy was telling me my subscription expired that is why it is doing that. I was so angry at him and told him what right do they have to shut down my car remotely without my consent. I paid for the tracking device so it's my property, they said that's how it works and I told them nobody told me this. I was mad at them and told them to remove me from their system. I mean if I was going to re subscribe in the first place they have showed me they are not professionals by remotely shutting me down without my consent. The guy said he is going to remove me from their server and u said fine , just don't shut my car down again.

Surprisingly the next day I tried to start my car and the same thing happened. It has been happening like that every morning, I have to do the command before I can start the car. I have tried calling them but they are not picking their phones. Today own is worse, this thing happened in the morning as usual, but has happened 2 other times today. That is total of 3 times already today. One time my wife went to pick the kids from school and it shut down while she was driving.

Pls good people is this a normal thing? Those that run car tracking company is it normal to just shut ur clients car down just because they have not renewed their subscription? I have already told them to cancel my sub but my car keep shutting down Everytime I try to drive it. I need opinions before I know what action to take against them.

1 Like

Re: Opinions Needed About Car Tracking by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jul 19, 2019
Cc marpol, gazzuzz, kingreign, radautoworks, thebigkendo, Kashif, etc
Re: Opinions Needed About Car Tracking by EngrMarve(m): 6:01pm On Jul 19, 2019
this is unprofessional. Please tell us the name of the company so we don't fall victim.

Dear Mod kindly move this to front page so we can get advice from experts. Help a bro.
Re: Opinions Needed About Car Tracking by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jul 19, 2019
EngrMarve:
this is unprofessional. Please tell us the name of the company so we don't fall victim.

Dear Mod kindly move this to front page so we can get advice from experts. Help a bro.

Their name is trusttrack. Their nairaland handle is solaltd. I have attacked screenshot of their posts

Re: Opinions Needed About Car Tracking by thebigkendo(m): 7:23pm On Jul 19, 2019
On July 15th, my wife took the car out and when she came back she parked it outside. In the evening I wanted to go out and alas car refused to start. 8n fact no dashboard light came on, radio was working but no lights on the dashboard, car won't start.

From the symptoms I think the tracker kill relay will be somewhere in your dashboard.. Find & disable that tracker & install another which does not require any yearly subscription

1 Like

Re: Opinions Needed About Car Tracking by radautoworks: 2:10am On Jul 20, 2019
Depends. Did you pay for tracking SERVICE or DEVICE?

If you paid for the service, they can disable your car FROM THE DAY YOUR SERVICE EXPIRES (which according to you it had). If you only got service, it's as simple as going back for them to retrieve their tracker (which I suspect it's the motivation for the kill switch). From the nairalander post, it looks like you only paid for service?

If you paid for the TRACKER, then NO and you can definitely get your pound of flesh if you have the energy. That being said, I don't think they are disabling your car. I suspect part of your service is them monitoring the car status and probably giving an "all clear" every day. Since you no longer have them doing that, you have to manually give the all clear yourself each day or the car locks out. The fact that they gave you an unlock code that's working seems to support this. I would call and ask how to manage it yourself manually if the tracker really is your equipment. Pop

Honestly, I would resubscribe because the product obviously works grin. I don't think they are being malicious. I think you are dealing with an algorithm doing exactly what it was programmed to do.

3 Likes

Re: Opinions Needed About Car Tracking by Nobody: 9:59am On Jul 20, 2019
radautoworks:
Depends. Did you pay for tracking SERVICE or DEVICE?

If you paid for the service, they can disable your car FROM THE DAY YOUR SERVICE EXPIRES (which according to you it had). If you only got service, it's as simple as going back for them to retrieve their tracker (which I suspect it's the motivation for the kill switch). From the nairalander post, it looks like you only paid for service?

If you paid for the TRACKER, then NO and you can definitely get your pound of flesh if you have the energy. That being said, I don't think they are disabling your car. I suspect part of your service is them monitoring the car status and probably giving an "all clear" every day. Since you no longer have them doing that, you have to manually give the all clear yourself each day or the car locks out. The fact that they gave you an unlock code that's working seems to support this. I would call and ask how to manage it yourself manually if the tracker really is your equipment. Pop

Honestly, I would resubscribe because the product obviously works grin. I don't think they are being malicious. I think you are dealing with an algorithm doing exactly what it was programmed to do.

Thanks very much for this. Really helpful. Honesty I wanted to re subscribe but I just don't like the way they responded the first time I called after the car shut down. I'll call again and ask them to send me their terms and explanation about how the whole thing works. Not my first time installing a tracker and I've never experienced this.
Re: Opinions Needed About Car Tracking by RZArecta2(m): 10:05am On Jul 20, 2019
Customer service gone bad cool

(1) (Reply)

IS Making Btw 30k-35k WEEKLY For Delivery/Rentals Still Visible/Possible / Signs To Know Your Mechanics Are Cheating You / Car Swerved Off The Road, Flew Over Several Cars At Dealership (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.