Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,419 members, 7,808,506 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:47 PM

Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? (20409 Views)

Members Of 1994 Eagles Receive Houses In Abuja (Photos). / Members Of 1994 Super Eagles Receive Houses In Owerri (Photos) / 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by Ifesinachi22(m): 10:54am On Jul 20, 2019
grin
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by SheikhMuniru(m): 10:55am On Jul 20, 2019
Yakubu Aiyegbeni Is A Good Player, AKPEYI Is The Best Keeper In The History Of SUPER EAGLES..

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by sayisayi(m): 10:55am On Jul 20, 2019
By the way, the level of international footballers in the mid 90s was far higher than today. Those Brazil and Italy teams would wipe the floor with the past 3 teams that won the world cup. The Nigeria, Bulgaria, Romania teams of then would be world champions now.

Check the Brazil team of 94 and compare it with their Copa America winning team now. LOL. Mauro Silva would bodycheck Neymar back to his nursery class.

6 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by lexy2014: 11:01am On Jul 20, 2019
Lamasta:
Gone are those days when Nigerian team is still a powerhouse in world football we are once 9th in FIFA ranking but today's players are nothing to write home about imagine AKPEYI grin in Super Eagles first choice very very absurd grin
Okocha
KANU
Mikel
Amokachi
Siasia
These are our global ambassadors for now, my opinion though cool

Foreigners are idolising them& singing their praises abroad& our people are kidnapping Siasia's mother

3 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by alfredilly: 11:02am On Jul 20, 2019
Nigeria football died after this 1994-1998 generations

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by arantess: 11:02am On Jul 20, 2019
sayisayi:
By the way, the level of international footballers in the mid 90s was far higher than today. Those Brazil and Italy teams would wipe the floor with the past 3 teams that won the world cup. The Nigeria, Bulgaria, Romania teams of then would be world champions now.

Check the Brazil team of 94 and compare it with their Copa America winning team now. LOL. Mauro Silva would bodycheck Neymar back to his nursery class.
Honestly, with much bigger footballs that were not so aerodynamic as today's smaller and better footballs and boots even

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by alfredilly: 11:04am On Jul 20, 2019
emkz:
Yessoo.

Okocha!

Kanu!

Enyeama!

And the greatest of them all, Baba Yekini! These guys need to be celebrated, for instance Yekini day should be celebrated on his birthday.

When they start telling you all the clubs they played for, you'd be proud of how well these guys represented us. I wish our sports ministry can have a football academy and groom the next generation of footballers. Also, Okocha, Kanu and Chioma Ajunwa need to be drafted into the National Sports Commission as Technical Directors. These talents must not waste.
Please remove Enyeama from the list. He reminds of the mediocre generation. Their keeper then was Peter Rufai who was nomited second best goal keeper in USA 94

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by kollysnut(m): 11:09am On Jul 20, 2019
Tina26:
you are a big fool. Sell your phone

Big one indeed, .....
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by gustav25: 11:09am On Jul 20, 2019
mu2sa2:
Rashidi Yekini was particularly a genius. If he was playing in Europe today, he might be nominated for the fifa footballer of the year. Okocha, amokachie, oliseh and the rest - all fantastic players. During their time Nigeria, our dear native land, was a football super power.
No be only FIFA footballer of the year

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by Livefreeordieha(m): 11:12am On Jul 20, 2019
Jarus:
Footballers, especially 1994-98 set, appear to be Nigeria's biggest ambassadors to the world. Well, maybe apart from 419.

From personal and friends' experience, when you introduce yourself as a Nigerian to most foreigners, the first thing they ask you about are Okocha, Kanu etc.

My Irish-Algerian seat mate couldn't stop talking about Rashidi Yekini and Amokachi on learning I'm a Nigerian, on the 3 hour Istanbul-Madinah flight in 2016.

An Egyptian friend in Saudi Arabia couldn't stop talking about Okocha's football wizardry. I have also met several Egy;tian friends in Dubai and once they know me as a Nigerian, they start asking about Okocha, Rashidi etc, Many other past experiences.

A generation of footballers Nigerian hardly even remember again.

When I posted the above on my Facebook wall, some of my friends shared similar experiences as reproduced below:

Have you experienced similar thing? Share your experience of foreigners taking highly of Nigerian footballers of 1994-1998 set.

bro you have said it all... I even said same to my bro yesterday... That our current crop of players are basking on the aforementioned dream team glorious days.. In my 15years abroad I have enjoyed being Nigerian when I meet football loving foreigners... Only the none football loving ones sends me back to lagos to warn my brothers for sending them emails some even embarrass me by saying I ain't got a dollar for ur Nigerian ass just incase u intend to ask.. Lol
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by lexy2014: 11:13am On Jul 20, 2019
ahnie:
A prophet z never honoured in his country.....
Glad foreigners acknowledges them for their skills.

I remember players like Pius ikedia,Sunday oliseh,Wilson orumah,Garba lawal, Emmanuel amunike,taribo west,Victor ikpeba,Samson siasia,rashidi yekini.

Meanwhile rashidi yekini died a miserable death with grasses,and rodents having convocation in his grave bed.His aged mother z roaming about with no shelter.

No edifices of our past footballers erected..but once they die..you would see government outdoing themselves to sponsor dia funerals and after then ditched their families.

I hate to say....we not dey ever value wetin we get.

And Siasias mother is presently wallowing in kidnappers den, her second experience at that

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by anungangampu: 11:13am On Jul 20, 2019
sayisayi:
Ok. It is our singular greatest export globally. In Abidjan, was shopping in Adjame market in 2011, they refused to let me leave after buying goods before they went through their favourite ballers....

2006 in Salvador, Brasil for carnival, at one olodum jam, one guy held my shoulder and almost cried while relating our 90's Olympic win.

Wait, once upriver in Gambia, I was buying fish, these diligent, young girls were hammering mandinka well, well before one shouted... Chineke. I asked her how she knew that word...she said nollywood..

Entertainment rules!
didint understand shhit
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by lexy2014: 11:16am On Jul 20, 2019
alfredilly:
Please remove Enyeama from the list. He reminds of the mediocre generation. There keeper then was Peter Rufai who was nomited second best goal keeper in USA 94

Enyeama was a great goalkeeper by every standard

6 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by alfredilly: 11:22am On Jul 20, 2019
lexy2014:

Enyeama was a great goalkeeper by every standard
He wasn't part of the generation highlighted here so don't bring him in.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by tonyskill: 11:24am On Jul 20, 2019
http://yougetmouth.com/super-eagles-reach-afcon-bus-stop-lose-to-algeria-21/ IT WAS A PAINFUL EXIT I WONT LIE AND THE MINUTE THEY BEAT US..I KNEW THE CUP WAS THEIRS
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by chat2deen(m): 11:24am On Jul 20, 2019
A neighbour of mine was caught in Saudi Arabia by the immigration in a car wash without a valid paper while preparing to send him to deportation camp a young prince from the Royal family saw him and asked him "friend where are from " he replied Nigeria he asked "do you know amokachi"? He said yes and that's how the boy order the immigration to allow him to go and he ran without looking back.

4 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by majamajic(m): 11:27am On Jul 20, 2019
TheBeat:
Okocha Kanu Rashidi Rufai Amokachi Ikpeba Oliseh West Finidi Amunike Uche Okechukwu

Oliha not okocha
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by FuckThaMod: 11:27am On Jul 20, 2019
If we are serious to get this kinda set again we will get it asap! Nigeria is filled with talents but those in charge are corrupt and that's why they pick the wrong players to represent the country.

This set of players were hungry, they were fit, they were determined and were ready to die on the pitch for the country. It's a shame the country didn't recognize them after everything, infact they treat the ones that play rubbish nowadays better. Just imagine that the nation idolized the 1994 set properly, that hunger and determination will remain in the future players that represents us but that's of course if corruption ain't involved in the selection

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by andrew444(m): 11:28am On Jul 20, 2019
Tamasaba:
Thing is our current Eagles are not at their best. How could those who aren't relevantin major European leagues and therefore ply their trades in china be making our dear national team? Only those doing awesomely well should make d team. Mikel, ighalo shouldn't have made d team. Any player that leaves Europe for China isn't fit for our national team.

Is your national team better than Brazil or Belgium who took Chinese based player to the World Cup ?

Carrasco ,Paulinho ,renato augusto ?

Oga you don't have anything to say abeg

3 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by wwwmaster: 11:29am On Jul 20, 2019
Funny post.
Yekini cannot be a better brand than Taribo West that was a very strong man in Milan defence, Ikpeba the Prince of Monaco. Kanu Nwankwo is an Arsenal Legend, won champions league with Ajax and also played for Inter.

Amuneke is much better player than Amokachi but he was plagued with injury.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by Lilimax(f): 11:29am On Jul 20, 2019
Indomie generations will not know them embarassed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by Lamasta(m): 11:30am On Jul 20, 2019
lexy2014:

Foreigners are idolising them& singing their praises abroad& our people are kidnapping Siasia's mother
That is the failure of our government to provide security for lives and property
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by Lamasta(m): 11:30am On Jul 20, 2019
jcmaiah:

5th. After US 94 we were fifth in world ranking. I can't forget our first match with Bulgaria. We trash them 3-0. The reached the semi final while we left at Knock out stage. That's to tell you the quality of players we had. Our match with Italy could have gone to anybody, save for that penalty given to Italy we may have beaten them in that match.
Yeah bro that's true you are spot on
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by naijadrivablog: 11:31am On Jul 20, 2019
Best set till date. KANU, JJ Okocha, Dodo Mayana, "The Bull" Amokachi etc.
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by wwwmaster: 11:31am On Jul 20, 2019
alfredilly:
Please remove Enyeama from the list. He reminds of the mediocre generation. Their keeper then was Peter Rufai who was nomited second best goal keeper in USA 94
Enyeama was a great goalkeeper, one of our very bests.
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by godwon01(m): 11:34am On Jul 20, 2019
U are right ,those guys re write Nigeria history on world stage. I will tell U this, I worked as a mental health Nurse at a mental health hospital in South Africa. I was the only Nigeria in the whole of the hospital in the 90s. They called me all sort of names like Yekinni, Finidi , Okocha, Amunike, Amokachi. Because of that anytime we were having football game together , they expect me to be like Okocha or Finidi. Those guys had laid records that would be difficult to erase in the world. Kudos to them.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by godwon01(m): 11:42am On Jul 20, 2019
Tina26:
you are a big fool. Sell your phone
Those words were too harsh. He may have good intention. It is not all of them that are scammers. He is only begging .
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by femi4: 11:43am On Jul 20, 2019
TheBeat:
Okocha
Kanu
Rashidi
Rufai
Amokachi
Ikpeba
Oliseh
West
Finidi
Amunike
Uche Okechukwu
siasia, Iroha, Keshi, Uche Okafor, Eguavon
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by Abudu2000(m): 11:49am On Jul 20, 2019
The reason ppl fail in life is coz they mistake a hobby for a career and an exercise for the later
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by SmartyPants(m): 11:49am On Jul 20, 2019
arantess:

He tried oo, am not saying he didn't, but yekini was banging 13 goals in cup of nation's with fewer teams played(he was in Vitoria setubal at the time, a higher profile team than any chinese club)

Yekini never banged in 13 goals in any cup of nations. his record was 5 goals, which Ighalo just equaled. If you don't know, ask.

And are you aware of what is happening in the Chinese league? What is the basis of your rating of the Chinese league?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

AFCON 2019: Why each Quarter-finals side will progress (and why they won't) / Ronaldo: I Can Choose To End Career Next Year Or I Can Play Until I'm 40 Or 41 / Jarrell Miller Fails Second Drug Test, Fight With Anthony Joshua Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.