Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,879 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:11 AM

Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? (20394 Views)

Members Of 1994 Eagles Receive Houses In Abuja (Photos). / Members Of 1994 Super Eagles Receive Houses In Owerri (Photos) / 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by Alkanoicacid(m): 4:35pm On Jul 20, 2019
wwwmaster:

Amokachi and Yekini cannot be half as popular as Ikpeba in Europe for goodness sake.
Yekini was cast away for Olympiacos ffs and he is not even more successful than Ikpeba for national team.
He won African footballer of the year once and so was Ikpeba.
I really hate arguing with some confused people.
Monaco most successful team had Ikpeba on it, you are comparing footballer popularity in Tunisia to Europe?
While Yekini is being told to walk in mediocre Olympiacos team Ikpeba was the rex of Monaco.
Yekini was popular in Tunisia because of his performance in a tournament hosted there in 1994.

Go to Europe and mention Yekini let's see if anyone knows what you mean.

Amokachi is a good player but talent wise Amuneke was mile ahead. Dude was so unlucky with Injuries.
Could have been succeful in Barcelona if not the injury plague.
Ogbeni This your argument is off point and unnecessary.

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by Admitwithschola: 4:45pm On Jul 20, 2019
SheikhMuniru:
Yakubu Aiyegbeni Is A Good Player, AKPEYI Is The Best Keeper In The History Of SUPER EAGLES..

Wetin you dey talk?

Some of us are so unforgiving! Yakubu Aiyegebe is one of Naija's best strikers all round.

Are you mocking him because of the mistake of 2010 which several other high-profile players before and after him have made?
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by Admitwithschola: 4:48pm On Jul 20, 2019
alfredilly:
Please remove Enyeama from the list. He reminds of the mediocre generation. Their keeper then was Peter Rufai who was nomited second best goal keeper in USA 94

Enyeama was GREAT in his time. He was FAR from mediocre - I agree he wasn't 1990's set.

Rufy was fantastic in the 1990's. His exploits gave me the motivated to choose goalkeeping as a young boy. His presence in the post gave us confidence in those days..

Meanwhile, can you give "evidence" that Rufy was voted 2 best at USA 94?
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by Admitwithschola: 4:49pm On Jul 20, 2019
lexy2014:

Enyeama was a great goalkeeper by every standard

Indeed! I posted before I saw your submission.

No one can argue Enyeama's greatness in his time
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by Admitwithschola: 4:50pm On Jul 20, 2019
alfredilly:
He wasn't part of the generation highlighted here so don't bring him in.

Agreed. He wasn't part of the 90's. In his days, 20's, he was great!
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by Admitwithschola: 4:56pm On Jul 20, 2019
lexy2014:

Am not saying he is. Am only correcting ur assertion that because he wasn't in d '94 generation, then he wasn't a good goalkeeper hence ur mentioning Peter Rufai& his exploits @ d '94 world cup. Have u forgotten what happened to Rufai in '98? If Enyeama was in d '94 set, am sure he equally would have had his name written in gold also.

Mhen, I'm not sure anyone will debate that Enyeama was solid in his days. No argument there. Enyeama was fantastic in his time.

Rufy did exploits, great keeper and wielded so much confidence in the goal post.

Dosu was an great upcoming goalkeeper who would have succeeded Rufy in the late 90's after his Olympic exploits. Sad, sad he was stopped by that terrible accident.
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by wwwmaster: 5:09pm On Jul 20, 2019
Alkanoicacid:
Ogbeni This your argument is off point and unnecessary.
You sounds like a hungry lunatic.
Wetin concern is a half baked psycho with football?
Senseless loser.
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by SheikhMuniru(m): 7:17pm On Jul 20, 2019
Admitwithschola:

Wetin you dey talk?

Some of us are so unforgiving! Yakubu Aiyegebe is one of Naija's best strikers all round.

Are you mocking him because of the mistake of 2010 which several other high-profile players before and after him have made?

Mocking Bro Yakubu As How, Me Will Never Do That... Bro Yakubu Is The Best Striker In The History Of Football.. Messi, CR7 Can't Stand Him On The Pitch Of Play
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by Alkanoicacid(m): 8:31pm On Jul 20, 2019
wwwmaster:

Maybe you were not born by then.
Anyone that said Yekini is more popular than Ikpeba in the world of football is either drunk or a fool.
You're still off point. Maybe you have a psychological or psychiatric issue and your problem is beyond me abeg.

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by wwwmaster: 9:22pm On Jul 20, 2019
Alkanoicacid:
You're still off point. Maybe you have a psychological or psychiatric issue and your problem is beyond abeg.
Lolz
You sounds like a hungry lunatic.

Imagine and senseless lunatic talking of problem and point.
grin cheesy
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by Prymestrr(m): 1:23am On Jul 21, 2019
Jarus:
Footballers, especially 1994-98 set, appear to be Nigeria's biggest ambassadors to the world. Well, maybe apart from 419.

From personal and friends' experience, when you introduce yourself as a Nigerian to most foreigners, the first thing they ask you about are Okocha, Kanu etc.

My Irish-Algerian seat mate couldn't stop talking about Rashidi Yekini and Amokachi on learning I'm a Nigerian, on the 3 hour Istanbul-Madinah flight in 2016.

An Egyptian friend in Saudi Arabia couldn't stop talking about Okocha's football wizardry. I have also met several Egy;tian friends in Dubai and once they know me as a Nigerian, they start asking about Okocha, Rashidi etc, Many other past experiences.

A generation of footballers Nigerian hardly even remember again.

When I posted the above on my Facebook wall, some of my friends shared similar experiences as reproduced below:

Have you experienced similar thing? Share your experience of foreigners taking highly of Nigerian footballers of 1994-1998 set.

Jarus please do me a solid and name all the legends in the photograph in their other of appearance from top left to bottom right. Name and Jersey number please.
So wish I was conscious enough to have experienced the euphoria of being a Nigerian when these lots were making history on the world stage but alas, I was just a toddler as at then still suckling momma's titties. embarassed

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by nicolartsdesign: 4:20am On Jul 21, 2019
Preciousgirl:
Ivory coast rocks

Fuel Tiehi Ibrahim camara Haruna Dindane Alaine Guqmehn Didier Drogba Sheik Tiotte Emmanuel Eboue Kolo Toure Yaya Toure Jervais Yao Koassi Gervinho Nicholas Pepe Serge Aurier Kader Keita Arouna Kone Max Alain Gradel Didier Zokora Serey Die Wilfred Zaha
Pure class
kalou of Chelsea
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by MakyavelitheDon(m): 3:45pm On Jul 21, 2019
ahnie:

Oga am a mother of two kids.

Many thanks!

Wow if it's true I'm mighty impressed.
Especially by ur love of d game
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by ahnie: 3:54pm On Jul 21, 2019
MakyavelitheDon:

Wow if it's true I'm mighty impressed.
Especially by ur love of d game

Yeah I played good soccer some year ago ..I was a winger.my cousin and i played for delta queens years ago in warri.but mine was brief.i still had good knowledge of clubs,players and managers(foreign)
But after marriage I blanked out on soccer gabadaya grin grin.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by ahnie: 4:01pm On Jul 21, 2019
Prymestrr:

Jarus please do me a solid and name all the legends in the photograph in their other of appearance from top left to bottom right. Name and Jersey number please.
So wish I was conscious enough to have experienced the euphoria of being a Nigerian when these lots were making history on the world stage but alas, I was just a toddler as at then still suckling momma's titties. embarassed
Samson siasia donning number 12 jersey
Austin eguavon no 2 jersey
Mutiu adepoju(the headmaster)no7 jersey
Sunday oliseh no5 jersey
Emmanuel amunike no 11 jersey
Rashidi yekini no 9 jersey.

Hope that helps!

3 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by bereto(m): 5:58pm On Jul 21, 2019
I think they were ranked 4th best team in the world then highest any African team has gotten

My dad said he played with yekini back then and everyone knew he was talented
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by Prymestrr(m): 7:33pm On Jul 21, 2019
ahnie:

Samson siasia donning number 12 jersey
Austin eguavon no 2 jersey
Mutiu adepoju(the headmaster)no7 jersey
Sunday oliseh no5 jersey
Emmanuel amunike no 11 jersey
Rashidi yekini no 9 jersey.
Not complete tho but it helps alot.
Thanks a lot!

Hope that helps!
Not complete tho but it does help.
Thanks a lot!
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by aswani(m): 10:15pm On Jul 21, 2019
Prymestrr:

Uche Okechukwu - 5
Samson Siasia - 12
Austin Eguavoen - 2
Finidi George - 7
Chidi Nwanu - 6
Rasheed Yekini - 9
Emmanuel Amunike - 11
Sunday Oliseh - 15
Ben Iroha - 3

Every single one born in Nigeria unlike now where we beg, borrow and steal foreign born players not good enough to play for their country, a serious shame.
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by elyte89: 10:59pm On Jul 21, 2019
sircrabo:
Looking at their lineup, those men were Old sha. way above 24.

Dts d senior national team

Not underage.. Were u expecting to c a 17year old boy?
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by sayisayi(m): 1:02pm On Jul 22, 2019
[quote author=blowjohn post=80453143]

Wrong bro.
They can't beat this present Portugal team, or German team or even the Croatia team

Your dealer must be a multi-millionaire grin grin
Re: Are Nigerian Footballers Of 1994-1998 Set Nigeria's Global Ambassadors? by sayisayi(m): 1:12pm On Jul 22, 2019
[quote author=okeniti post=80454691]You seem very well travelled, how many countries have you been to may I ask?

Bros, I have not counted but between 35-50....to Baba be the glory...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Benzema Becomes First French Player To Score 10 Goals In A Single UCL Campaign / AFCON 2019: Why each Quarter-finals side will progress (and why they won't) / Jarrell Miller Fails Second Drug Test, Fight With Anthony Joshua Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.