Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,664 members, 7,801,919 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:57 AM

As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? (7890 Views)

Muslim Allows Pastor Sleep In A Mosque As Christians Refused Him Accommodation / As Christians, How Should We Relate With Unbelievers? / Hey Christians, How Much Can You Really Say To Defend Your Religion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Dafemich(m): 7:31am On Jul 20, 2019
The Lord Jesus Christ said he not that the Father take us away from this world, but he should keep in His own name. So we are still here in this world.

As a Christian, we live a life that after we leave this world, we would make heaven. But in this world that sin is on the high every day, you can't live every minute without encountering huge temptations to sin.

Everyday, the devil is just bring up different types of methods to sin. But I believe there is a way. A way to overcome sin in the flesh.

So I want us Christians to discuss, what is that way?What is the way that Christ lay down to overcome sin?

1 Like

Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by MuttleyLaff: 7:37am On Jul 20, 2019
Dafemich:
The Lord Jesus Christ said he not that the Father take us away from this world, but he should keep in His own name. So we are still here in this world. As a Christian, we are live a life that after we live this world, we would make heaven. But in this world that sin is on the high every day. You can't live every minute without encountering huge temptations to sin. Every day, the devil is just bring up different types of methods to sin. But I believe there is a way. A way to overcome sin in the flesh. So I want us Christian to discuss, what is that way. What is the way that Christ lay down to overcome sin.
"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."
- Romans 10:17

The first sin, as in, the original sin, was committed by giving prominence to someone's else word more the expressed command word of God. The way to overcome sin is by living by every word that proceeded from God's mouth

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Dafemich(m): 7:41am On Jul 20, 2019
MuttleyLaff:

The first sin, as in, the original sin, was committed by giving prominence to someone's else word more the expressed command word of God. The way to overcome sin is by living by every word that proceeded from God's mouth
Wow. so as a new born again Christian, I must know every words of the Bible. I know there is more.
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by MuttleyLaff: 7:46am On Jul 20, 2019
Dafemich:
Wow. So as a new born again Christian, I must know every words of the Bible. I know there is more.
Do new born human being babies, no know any word at all, talkless every human speaking word?, C'mon try harder than that.

Romans 10:17 is informative enough and a very useful verse. It is self explanatory too.
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Dafemich(m): 7:52am On Jul 20, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Do new born human being babies, no any word at all, talkless every human speaking word?, C'mon try harder than that.

Romans 10:17 is informative enough and a very useful verse. It is self explanatory too.

I didn't really get most of what you said up there, but I want you to gal 2:20, and let see what you understand about that verse. Though we are to believe the word of God, but there is something in particular we must clinch our faith to.

1 Like

Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by MuttleyLaff: 8:01am On Jul 20, 2019
Dafemich:
I didn't really get most of what you said up there, but I want you to Gal 2:20, and let see what you understand about that verse. Though we are to believe the word of God, but there is something in particular we must clinch our faith to.
I have corrected the typo error, "no" was meant to be "know"

You are proof-texting with Galantians 2:20. How do you "... I live by faith in the Son of God... " without any benefit from Romans 10:17, erhn? How did Peter defy the law of gravity and just like Jesus began walking on water, erhn? Was it not by hearing the word of the Word? Was it not standing on that command word and the Word that gave Peter faith. It was Adam and Eve losing faith in the word of God that made them slide and succumb to sin brother. There is no two ways about this. Hold on to every word of God and you'll never go wrong or amiss

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Dafemich(m): 8:24am On Jul 20, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
I have corrected the typo error, "no" was meant to be "know"

You are proof-texting with Galantians 2:20. How do you "... I live by faith in the Son of God... " without any benefit from Romans 10:17, erhn? How did Peter defy the law of gravity and just like Jesus began walking on water, erhn? Was it not by hearing the word of the Word? Was it not standing on that command word and the Word that gave Peter faith. It was Adam and Eve losing faith in the word of God that made them slide and succumb to sin brother. There is no two ways about this. Hold on to every word of God and you'll never go wrong or amiss
You just made a mistake. That verse didn't say faith in the son of God, it says that faith of the son of God. They are two different things. Faith of the son of God shows us that this faith is not ours, it is of the Lord Jesus Christ. it is not what we believe that make us overcome sin, it is what the Lord Jesus Christ has done. I didn't say we don't need faith to overcome sin, I was trying to make you see this point. We overcome sin, by believing in the faith of the Lord Jesus Christ. We are to believe that since the Lord Jesus Christ resurrected from the dead as a human being, we also can overcome sin as human being. Our ability to overcome sin comes from the fact that the Lord Jesus Christ resurrected from the dead as a human being. And because He resurrected from the dead as a human being, we can live a victorious live over sin as a human being. This should be our believe. That is why Apostle Paul said, the life I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the son of God (Gal 2:20)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by MuttleyLaff: 8:40am On Jul 20, 2019
Dafemich:
You just made a mistake. That verse didn't say faith in the son of God, it says that faith of the son of God. They are two different things. Faith of the son of God shows us that this faith is not ours, it is of the Lord Jesus Christ. it is not what we believe that make us overcome sin, it is what the Lord Jesus Christ has done. I didn't say we don't need faith to overcome sin, I was trying to make you see this point. We overcome sin, by believing in the faith of the Lord Jesus Christ. We are to believe that since the Lord Jesus Christ resurrected from the dead as a human being, we also can overcome sin as human being. Our ability to overcome sin comes from the fact that the Lord Jesus Christ resurrected from the dead as a human being. And because He resurrected from the dead as a human being, we can live a victorious live over sin as a human being. This should be our believe. That is why Apostle Paul said, the life I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the son of God (Gal 2:20)
I am not going to fall out with you, but will just ask you that please Dafemich how does one get faith, how does one build faith, how does one increase faith, how does, how does one one keep faith, how does one not lose faith, how does one believe and begin to believe in the faith of the Lord Jesus Christ, how does one believe that the Lord Jesus Christ resurrected from the dead as a human being, how, is it by some magical abbacadabra process ni? No, each and all begins with hearing and hearing what, hearing and keeping to the word of God

2 Likes

Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Dafemich(m): 8:56am On Jul 20, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
I am not going to fall out with you, but will just ask you that please Dafemich how does one get faith, how does one build faith, how does one increase faith, how does, how does one one keep faith, how does one not lose faith, how does one believe and begin to believe in the faith of the Lord Jesus Christ, how does one believe that the Lord Jesus Christ resurrected from the dead as a human being, how, is it by some magical abbacadabra process ni? No, each and all begins with hearing and hearing what, hearing and keeping to the word of God
Yes, you get faith and increase your faith by hearing the word of God, but hearing the word of God alone doesn't mean we overcome sin. You are saying that I must hear the word of God to be able to overcome sin, which is good. I am not disputing that. but I am saying that what you need to know to overcome sin in the flesh is one thing. Just like the Lord Jesus Christ told Martha, one thing is needful, and that is believing in the faith of the Lord Jesus Christ. Believe because He rose from the dead as a human being, we also can live above sin as a human being. This is what is needful. I cannot know all the Bible verses, because I want to grow my faith. If I can just know this, I am good. This is my point. I don't think there is any need continue arguing on this. if you are not satisfied with this, no problem, but this is my point

1 Like

Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Georgetlm2: 9:47am On Jul 20, 2019
Dafemich:

So what is the faith of Jesus.
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by CaveAdullam: 3:09pm On Jul 20, 2019
Looking unto Jesus Christ our Lord the author and finisher of our faith.

The Lord Jesus Christ conquered sin in the flesh totally on the Cross of Calvary, what you need to do is to ask Him for wisdom and revelation of that same victory both of you shared on the Cross of Calvary over principalities and powers, sin, fleshly desires and all other things contrary to the will of God Almighty.

If you focus on yourselve to overcome sin/the flesh on earth you will surely fail, if you set rules, regulations and schedules you will not be able to meet up, no matter how much you try, it will lead you into further depression just like the case of the man in ROMANS CHAPTER 7.

Let the Holy Spirit that indwells you, bring you to the understanding of the grace and knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ that you may have the mindset that there is no condemnation in Christ Jesus. Let the whole of your heart be that that seeks the Lord Jesus Christ with all its strength, reins, and passions, and you will see yourself leaping from glory to glory in Christ Jesus, far above trials, temptations and persecutions.

Do not focus on the sin/flesh but pour all your focus on the Lord Jesus Christ, think Christ, speak Christ, desire, Christ, love Christ, dine with Christ and you will surely become like Christ. As He is in the heavenly place so we are in this world.

Thanks.

God bless.

11 Likes

Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by malvisguy212: 3:37pm On Jul 20, 2019
If I am saved, why do I still sin? Why do I have such a problem with sin while I am here on earth? Why am I still troubled with impure thoughts? Why do I sometimes do what I know is wrong? Why do I sometimes fail to do what I know is right? Why do I continue to battle with temptations? Why do I
sometimes live and act like an unsaved person ( 1 Cor. 3:3), even though it grieves me and saddens me when I live this way?

the believers has TWO nature , although he is saved, he must beware ( 1 peter 5) once he is saved, what happened to the sinful nature ? When a person is saved, the old nature is not transformed into something good.

"That which is born of the flesh is flesh;
and that which is born of the spirit is
spirit" (John 3:6).

When a person is born again, the flesh does not transform itself into spirit. It remains what it
always was: FLESH. The old nature is not improved and sweetened. It does not undergo a reformation. When a person gets saved, does God transform
his old nature into something that is now good? Not at all.

the new birth is a CREATION and not a TRANSFORMATION . The new birth is the bringing in of a new thing, not the changing of an old. My old nature remains the same. The difference is this:
I now have a new nature created by God.

to OVERCOME sin, we need to grow in wisdom, you see, the different between Jesus and Adam was that, Jesus GREW IN WISDOM, ( Luke 2:52 And Jesus grew in wisdom ...) , thus he overcome the temptation of Satan. Adam was CREATED AS A FULL BLOWN MAN, an innocent creature without WISDOM , thus he was deceived by the serpent. so as I grew in wisdom by His Grace, God crucified my sinful nature.

2 Likes

Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by MuttleyLaff: 6:28am On Jul 21, 2019
Dafemich:
Yes, you get faith and increase your faith by hearing the word of God, but hearing the word of God alone doesn't mean we overcome sin.
It is the beginning, it is one of the fundamental principles on which everything about how to overcome sin is based.

Dafemich:
You are saying that I must hear the word of God to be able to overcome sin, which is good. I am not disputing that.
Good, however, do I sense a "but" soon coming round the corner

Dafemich:
... but I am saying that what you need to know to overcome sin in the flesh is one thing. Just like the Lord Jesus Christ told Martha, one thing is needful, and that is believing in the faith of the Lord Jesus Christ. Believe because He rose from the dead as a human being, we also can live above sin as a human being. This is what is needful.
"39And she had a sister called Mary, who also, having sat down at the feet of the Lord, was listening to His word.
41And the Lord answering said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things;
42but one thing is necessary, only one; for Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.”
"
- Luke 10:39, 41-42

Aah, good ol' "but" is here. Dafemich, Dafemich, Dafemich notice from Luke 10:39 reproduced above, what Mary, as in Martha's sister did. She sat down to listen to the word and Word, then look at what Jesus said at verses 41 and 42. He said that Mary made the right and good choice of listening to the word and Him.

Dafemich is it possible believing in the faith of the Lord Jesus Christ without any word, information or knowledge about it, hmm? What you've learned from hearing the word of God provides you with defensive mechanisms that serves a protection against sinning, against attack, gives you power to overcome sin, gives you reasons to have the fear of God in you that wants to make you flee from committing sin, just like Joseph fled from Potiphar's wife who tried to have illicit sex with him etcetera because he had the fear of God in him.

Dafemich:
I cannot know all the Bible verses, because I want to grow my faith. If I can just know this, I am good. This is my point. I don't think there is any need continue arguing on this. if you are not satisfied with this, no problem, but this is my point

No one has said, prescribed nor recommended knowing all the Bible verses before one can grow in faith Dafemich.

Romans 10:17 is a simple straighforward and non intimidating verse. In a simple and easy fashion, it expresses the essential features of faith in a brief and clearly revealed manner. Dafemich, is it faith that has to do with overcoming anything like sin for example, then that faith comes or is built up from listening to or hearing a message and the message is the word of God. We never stop learning because life never stops teaching

2 Likes

Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by ednut1(m): 9:04am On Jul 21, 2019
No one can overcome what you guys call sin. It part of life

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Luthercboi: 9:04am On Jul 21, 2019
Guys if you have heard about forex but you don’t know how it works

It a market that controls 5.3 trillion per day
And that a good place to make money

message me via WhatsApp @ 07015421422
They’ll be a lecture there by 4pm (FREE )

Briefing you about the basic of forex and to raise money from there with just RISK MANAGEMENT
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by ffome(m): 9:04am On Jul 21, 2019
Bleep sin day and night and sin will flee from you. Its that simple.
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Oluwasaeon(m): 9:06am On Jul 21, 2019
We can't.
Close thread!
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by xilixr: 9:06am On Jul 21, 2019
By not sinning
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Montanasnr(m): 9:09am On Jul 21, 2019
What is SIN BTW?
What do Christians call sin? Is it the same with what the constitution forbids or it's different from what the constitution forbids?

Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Mftivi: 9:13am On Jul 21, 2019
Dafemich:
The Lord Jesus Christ said he not that the Father take us away from this world, but he should keep in His own name. So we are still here in this world.

As a Christian, we live a life that after we leave this world, we would make heaven. But in this world that sin is on the high every day, you can't live every minute without encountering huge temptations to sin.

Everyday, the devil is just bring up different types of methods to sin. But I believe there is a way. A way to overcome sin in the flesh.

So I want us Christians to discuss, what is that way?What is the way that Christ lay down to overcome sin?
We christians always don't take the word of God for what it is. How do you overcome sin and death all over again when christ already overcame it ? You have no ability of your own to overcome sin. You are righteous by faith not by works, faith in the finished work of Jesus christ inputs righteousness to you read romans 4 vs 22. You can fall into sin here and there but if you keep believing that you are righteous you wont remain in that sin, you will get up and pray for forgiveness and keep fellowshipping with God. Personally I have noticed that prayerlessness empowers your flesh but fellowshipping with God always subdues the flesh and gives access to your born again spirit to dominate the flesh. The spirit of a born again christian never sins and when it dominates your flesh you always want to do the will of GOD.
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by KhaleesiAdaz(f): 9:20am On Jul 21, 2019
I so much believe that if religion is a good thing, it won't thrive in Africa esp Nigeria.
Nothing good thrives in Africa. Nothing absolutely nothing

3 Likes

Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Soul47(m): 9:22am On Jul 21, 2019
By having the word of God in you.

1 Like

Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by princeonx: 9:32am On Jul 21, 2019
Not humanly possible!

2 Likes

Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by femi4: 9:34am On Jul 21, 2019
Dafemich:

Gal 5:16-18

16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever[a] you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

1 Like

Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by tstx(m): 9:35am On Jul 21, 2019
You can't... You can't... You can't.... You can't

As long as you are living, you must sin..

Every realist knows this ..

2 Likes

Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by Votukpa(m): 9:36am On Jul 21, 2019
To overcome sin: walk in the spirit and you won't gratify the desires of the the flesh.

'walking' in the Spirit = being led by the Spirit

The spirit = The Holy Spirit of God, God, the Spirit of Christ, Christ, the words of Christ and God. God and his words, laws, pronounciations are one.

Seek first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness.
kingdom of God = rulership domain or control of God.
Seek to be ruled by God first and to do what he wants (righteousness) first.

The FIRST duty of a believer is to OVERCOME sin. We are able to do this by being led by the Spirit. To be led by the Spirit, one must have it within. To receive the spirit, one must first HEAR, BELIEVE and KEEP HEARING DAILY the Spirit. The spirit can be eaten and drunk and digested. It enters in the form of WORDS. These WORDS are able to affect emotions and matter (flesh). The most powerful force in the universe is the Holy Spirit (Words) of God and Christ. Selah.

Summary; hear, read, believe and accept (and KEEP doing these) the words of Christ and DO them in order to overcome sin.
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by shizzy7(f): 9:44am On Jul 21, 2019
I just sinned this morning,

GOD forgive me
Jesus I'm sorry, I don't want to crucify you to the cross again.
Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by toprealman: 9:54am On Jul 21, 2019
Dear Seun,
Why do I have to swear that I will be a Moslem to post a comment on a Muslim related topic but issues bothering on Christianity ieft open.
Just expressing my thought and an observation.
Cheers

2 Likes

Re: As Christians, How Can We Overcome Sin? by EternalBeing: 9:57am On Jul 21, 2019
By the renewal of your mind. That is the Key; Romans 12:2

This would help much: https://www.nairaland.com/5300063/why-worry-why-hurry

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Satanic Verses In The Bible. / Was Mary,mother Of Jesus Crucified? / Why Prayers Of Many Christians Are Hindered

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.