Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,336 members, 7,780,879 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:05 AM

Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo (14025 Views)

‘Mysterious’ Cloth That Fell From The Sky In Ondo: The Truth (Photos) / Misuzulu KaZwelithini, Zulu King In First Reed Dance With Virgin Maidens / Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by YourNemesis: 4:22pm On Jul 20, 2019
It was all pomp and pageantry yesterday, Friday 19th July in Igbekebo, Ese Odo local government area of Ondo state as the king in Igbekebo His Royal Highness, Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo who was earlier coronated as the new Odogun of Igbekebo kingdom received his instrument of appointment and staff of office.. The stool became vacant in 2016 following the death of the former traditional ruler, Oba Emmanuel Omotumilara Eginkunyomi who ruled for 23 years. The Deputy Governor of Ondo State, Hon. Agboola Ajayi, who represented Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, SAN, presented the instrument of appointment and staff of office to the new monarch.

The ceremony, which was also attended by the Commissioner for local government and chieftaincy affairs, Hon. Lola Fagbemi, Senator Nicholas Tofowomo and various traditional rulers from across the state and beyond, was held at the Community Comprehensive High School Sports’ Complex, Igbekebo in Ese-Odo local government. The selection process of the new monarch which took place at the Igbekebo Civic Center, Igbekebo earlier in May was keenly contested among five other princes from the Maga Okotun ruling house and others in Igbekebo before Prince Dabo of Maga ruling house was selected through voting. After his selection, Dabo was taken to the palace of the kalasuwe of Apoi land, Oba (Prof) Sunday Amuseghan for traditional rites and blessing. Oba Ademiluga prayed for the new monarch to live long, stressing that his reign will bring rapid development, not only to Igbekebo, but the entire Apoi land.

The chairman of the kingmakers, Chief Alex Mehin hailed the new Monarch on his selection and appealed to him to work with other contestants and seek their advice when necessary in the overall interest of the community. In his message, the Obateru of Apoi land,High Chief Folarin Dabo hailed the new monarch and prayed for God’s protection on him to lift Igbekebo higher.

According to Apoi history, The Apoi took their name from Apoi (Opoi) the son of Kala-Okun, who accompanied his grandfather Ujo on their way back to Otu-Ife or Ile-Ife. In a group of nine they got lost in trying to trace the route back without the aid of a navigator. So they decided to settle within the vicinity of the Nun river (Apoi creek), where the present village of Apoi is situated. Ujo who bore the title Kalasuo (KALA-SUO or KALUSO i.e. small god,), died here and his grandson inherited the title.

The Western Apoi call Kalasuo, Kalashuwe or Kalasuwe and Oborowi, Oborowe, and they no longer speak Ijaw language, but a dialect made up of the fusion of Ijaw and Yoruba. Of late they have moved on to adopting the general Yoruba which most of them now speak. As children of Ujo, at Ile-Ife the ancestral traditions name them as one of the sub-tribes that sprung from King Adumu-Ala (alias Oduduwa). The Apoi are pre-14th century.
The general Apoi king is called Oba and the title is Kalasuwe and the seat of the throne is in Shabomi and Oboro respectively.

http://www.ondoevents.com/2019/07/19/odogun-of-igbekebo-gets-staff-of-office/

[img]http:///65535/48330260616_c2e916e37f_b.jpg[/img]

[img]http:///65535/48330262756_8dc1eb48c2_b.jpg[/img]

[img]http:///65535/48330260651_d4da71f232_b.jpg[/img]

[img]http:///65535/48330260766_ac4d2735cb_b.jpg[/img]

[img]http:///65535/48330393047_31cf8326ea_b.jpg[/img]

[img]http:///65535/48330260566_93e7e45dae_b.jpg[/img]

[img]http:///65535/48330395127_23bf3c7cf5_b.jpg[/img]

[img]http:///65535/48330260656_8f84fbe17e_b.jpg[/img]

[img]http:///65535/48330260506_d0fa15190a_b.jpg[/img]

[img]http:///65535/48330260591_a13458a6b8_b.jpg[/img]

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by GOFRONT(m): 4:31pm On Jul 20, 2019
NwaAmaikpe is BACK
NwaAmaikpe is BACK
NwaAmaikpe is BACK
NwaAmaikpe is BACK

13 Likes

Re: Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by YourNemesis: 4:33pm On Jul 20, 2019
ReubenE:
Lost Ijaws

Sorry, but they are Yoruba not Ijaw.
They were Ijaws maybe 200 years ago, but not anymore.
This is Omoyele Sowore's axis.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by kittykollinxx(m): 5:17pm On Jul 20, 2019
cry
Re: Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by momove4real25(f): 5:17pm On Jul 20, 2019
GOFRONT:
NwaAmaikpe is BACK
NwaAmaikpe is BACK
NwaAmaikpe is BACK
NwaAmaikpe is BACK
was he banned

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by PrinceKevin01: 5:17pm On Jul 20, 2019
He is a Traditional grassroot man. Well deserved

Anyway, i will Build a Professional Logo for your Product or Company For 1k. Offer valid today only. See my info below to Chat me up on WhatsApp

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jul 20, 2019
GOFRONT:
NwaAmaikpe is BACK
NwaAmaikpe is BACK
NwaAmaikpe is BACK
NwaAmaikpe is BACK

Lalasticlala take note!

1 Like

Re: Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by CheapDataGuy: 5:19pm On Jul 20, 2019
momove4real25:
was he banned
No one knows.
But I read here someone said maybe his IP...... Bla bla bla.....
Re: Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by YungMillionaire: 5:19pm On Jul 20, 2019
I have to be honest, even though I am not Yoruba, I admire their culture die...so lively...so attractive...

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by SultanOfAbia: 5:19pm On Jul 20, 2019
This looks like a White Wedding..
Re: Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by planB31921xxc: 5:21pm On Jul 20, 2019
Re: Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by drlaykay(m): 5:22pm On Jul 20, 2019
momove4real25:
was he banned
Ban?! By who?
Instead he will ban seun and the mods with his mouth

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by Burgerlomo: 5:22pm On Jul 20, 2019
Congratulations cool
Re: Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by jrusky(m): 5:31pm On Jul 20, 2019
momove4real25:
was he banned

Went on exile
Re: Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by ReubenE(m): 5:41pm On Jul 20, 2019
Lost Ijaws

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by AbakalikiPress: 5:54pm On Jul 20, 2019
SultanOfAbia:
This looks like a White Wedding..

lol, how?
Agbi o!, oma apoi dede

1 Like

Re: Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by ReubenE(m): 5:59pm On Jul 20, 2019
YourNemesis:

Sorry, but they are Yoruba not Ijaw.
They were Ijaws maybe 200 years ago, but not anymore.
This is Omoyele Sowore's axis.
200 years ke.... I still have some friends from that area that are still strong in their Ijaw origin. They still speak Ijaw language, and believe me, their transition is still recent

However, I have to concede that they are Yoruba now

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by YourNemesis: 6:02pm On Jul 20, 2019
ReubenE:

200 years ke.... I still have some friends from that area that are still strong in their Ijaw origin. They still speak Ijaw language, and believe me, their transition is still recent

Yes 200.... or in the least 100.
Your friends might be Arogbo who are more mixed with recent Ijaw ancestry. Majority of Apois know nothing but yoruba.
Look at their oral history, it clearly mentions Ile-Ife, Olofin Adimula aka Oduduwa and they speak Yoruba.
They check the list on all three criteria for 'Yorubaness'

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by mixta140: 6:11pm On Jul 20, 2019
Issoke...

For stubborn STD check my signature.
Re: Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by 2mch(m): 6:31pm On Jul 20, 2019
Yoruba is the source of all Nigeria. The day we decide to get angry! Everyone will shiver grin. When all our pikins fight, we just de look sad angry

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by rollymore(m): 6:41pm On Jul 20, 2019
Congratulations, kabiyesi. May his reign be healthy, fruitful and long. So happy fr him. He was my student in d 80s
Re: Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by Lamasta(m): 8:40pm On Jul 20, 2019
Congratulations to the community cool
Re: Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jul 20, 2019
YourNemesis:

Yes 200.... or in the least 100.
Your friends might be Arogbo who are more mixed with recent Ijaw ancestry. Majority of Apois know nothing but yoruba.
Look at their oral history, it clearly mentions Ile-Ife, Olofin Adimula aka Oduduwa and they speak Yoruba.
They check the list on all three criteria for 'Yorubaness'
Arobos are 100% ijaws, but the Apois should be 50/50(Yoruba/ijaw)

3 Likes

Re: Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by Ijawblooded: 10:55pm On Jul 20, 2019
See as Yoruba ppl don colonize these ma Ijaw binaweis dem. Long live the pere!

1 Like

Re: Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by FisifunKododada: 11:17pm On Jul 20, 2019
Ijawblooded:
See as Yoruba ppl don colonize these ma Ijaw binaweis dem. Long live yhe pere!

Its not colonialism...its just two people came together and decided to be one. And they chose Yoruba as their language of communication and culture.
Re: Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by technicallyrich(m): 11:21pm On Jul 20, 2019
Rhese are the real owners of ondo state.
Mind you ijaws easily blend to cultures around them but that does not mean they are not ijaws.
For example some ijaws even in rivers state like opobo,bonny speak and understand igbo perfectly butt they are still ijaws.
God bless the richest and strongest black tribe on earth.

1 Like

Re: Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by alfredilly: 1:04am On Jul 21, 2019
ReubenE:

The Ijaw tribes are still well represented there. These are the Arogbo Ijaw whose historical link with the Ijaw root is still recent. They speaks raw Ijaw language and they are distributed accross the entire local government of Ese-Odo. Although the predominant tribe in this local government are the Apoi who speak Yoruba dialect almost similar to Ilaje and Ikale, there neighbours. The Apoi also share some remote historical link with Ijaw

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by YourNemesis: 9:52am On Jul 21, 2019
Ijawblooded:
See as Yoruba ppl don colonize these ma Ijaw binaweis dem. Long live yhe pere!

See who is talking about colonialism..lol
Ijaws have clonized so many non-ijaw speaking tribes in the delta of the Niger into the Ijaw "pseudo-identity".
Re: Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo by olubike: 5:57pm On Jul 22, 2019
i perceive a deliberate attempt to adulterate and change the history of the Apoi by inserting connection with Ile-Ife, this was totally different from what my father told me, the Apois migrated from the Ijaws in the NIger Deltas their traditional titles, names of their villages and the festivals are all same with many ijaw communities of Balyesa and Delta states.
This attempt at inserting their origin in Yoruba is totalling uncalled for, your history is your history, be proud of it the way it is

(1) (2) (Reply)

20 Main Yoruba Juju And Their Meaning. / Countries Of The World Ranked By Linguistic Diversity (nigeria @ #5) / What Do You Know About Isoko People Of Delta State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.