Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,480 members, 7,781,421 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:10 PM

Why Do Judges Give Ludicrous Amount Of Money For Child Upkeep In Divorce Cases - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Judges Give Ludicrous Amount Of Money For Child Upkeep In Divorce Cases (521 Views)

Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK / American Woman Sets Her Wedding Dress Ablaze In Divorce Photoshoot / Lottery Winner Transfers Millions To Mum So His Wife Won't Get Share In Divorce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Judges Give Ludicrous Amount Of Money For Child Upkeep In Divorce Cases by Duke007(m): 10:17pm On Jul 20, 2019
This issue has been troubling me for a while. The rate of divorce in Nigeria is on a steady raise. Our court is inundated with incessant cases of couple opting for separation with the attendant consequences on the children. I have carefully followed many of such cases online and in live court. Most of our judges gives child care support for children at the rate of =N=4,000.00 to be paid by the elsewhile husband to the court on a monthly basis. This amount can barely feed a child for a week considering the economy realities. Are the judges bound by law to give such amount for child care support or what.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Judges Give Ludicrous Amount Of Money For Child Upkeep In Divorce Cases by RIHMEEK(m): 1:23am On Jul 21, 2019
Spot on observation, honestly don't know if it's the amount stipulated in the constitution.. But I feel judgement should be based on the financial strength of the divorcing parties, lifestyle the child/children are used to before the impending divorce and maybe the purchasing power applicable to the state/region...

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Judges Give Ludicrous Amount Of Money For Child Upkeep In Divorce Cases by frozen70(f): 10:28pm On Jul 22, 2019
Duke007:
This issue has been troubling me for a while. The rate of divorce in Nigeria is on a steady raise. Our court is inundated with incessant cases of couple opting for separation with the attendant consequences on the children. I have carefully followed many of such cases online and in live court. Most of our judges gives child care support for children at the rate of =N=4,000.00 to be paid by the elsewhile husband to the court on a monthly basis. This amount can barely feed a child for a week considering the economy realities. Are the judges bound by law to give such amount for child care support or what.

That amoeis just to make the man a but responsible since they know that he can't handle his home

Besides most times they don't obey

Women have taken the challenges of raising their children with or without the man in a case like this
Re: Why Do Judges Give Ludicrous Amount Of Money For Child Upkeep In Divorce Cases by MMotimo: 2:57am On Jul 23, 2019
The core idea behind child and spousal support is to continue to provide the children and ex the lifestyle they are “accustomed” to after taking into account age, ability to earn what level of income, etc. I want to assume this is what guides decisions in the Nigerian court system too but who knows undecided

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Help Her Make Decision On Name Change. / Relationship Or Situationship / USA Law: Can You Get A Refund If The Child You Support Isn't Yours?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.