Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,873 members, 7,806,489 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:13 PM

How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands (89337 Views)

4 Reasons The Rich Keeps Getting Richer - How You Can Join Them / 4 Reasons The Rich Are Getting Richer - How You Can Join Them / How Banks Exploit Cbn's Weakness To Impose Excessive Charges On ATM Users (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by adeosuntunde: 12:02am On Jul 22, 2019
Ipisi:

Are you a banker?..

How do you know all these

Brotherly,

Re read the write up but

This time,slowly

4 Likes

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by obembet(f): 12:04am On Jul 22, 2019
adeosuntunde:

Brotherly,

Re read the write up but

This time,slowly

� � � � �.. Kuku kill me
Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by Rubbiish(m): 12:04am On Jul 22, 2019
Katier00:
Some men believe that if they let their wives know about their business or money, they will kill them in other to inherit their wealth. Men are very insecured.
Lol
Where did u get this from?
Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by foster212: 12:08am On Jul 22, 2019
Dem no dey leave will as per next of kin?
Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by oglalasioux(m): 12:08am On Jul 22, 2019
There is no truth to this story. Every account has a next of kin who can comfortably draw on the account of the deceased and it's obligatory on the banks to inform next of kin if an account remain dormant for a certain period. If this write up is about banks not fulfilling this obligation of informing next of kin then the burden of guilt is on the bank not the account holder.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by Dracas: 12:10am On Jul 22, 2019
Some women are Tigers and could even kill the man earlier than natural death would do should they know his worth and have access to them.

3 Likes

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by AreaFada2: 12:11am On Jul 22, 2019
Pavore9:
This issue came up in the course of my conversation with someone 2 weeks ago, he said he has a banker friend who happens to be account officer of a man who passed on February 2018 and in his account a 7 figure balance and no one has come forward since then which means none of his relatives knew about it.

We argued if his banker friend can go tip his family as his kids would surely need the money for their upkeep but no matter how noble, it will be unethical for the banker to let his family know since the deceased didn't want them to know about it.

If true, bankers here are just doing daylight robbery.

I am convinced the late clients assumed their loved ones would be informed if they died. You think a man who worked hard would prefer bankers to inherit their money instead of their own family?

If that be the case, a warped banker can organise robbers to kpai a rich customer whose family members are not aware of his money in the bank. If the banker knows that fact.

That so called "unethical" to tell his family is just poo. If a businessman borrowed huge money from a bank without his kids knowing, if he dies, would the bank let his kids inherit the business without asking to recover the loan? Of course they won't. When it favours them, it becomes unethical.

That "ethics" stuff only applies when the customer is still alive. NASS should address issues such as this by passing a law compelling banks to inform family of the deceased. But they are too busy packing money to care.

@Op, do not insult people about something you don't know. Trust is a big issues these days. In many countries including USA, people are killed daily over inheritance, life insurance money, etc.

In Nigeria, some even self-kidnap to get ransom from or organise kidnap of "stingy" rich relatives. So do not blame them.

10 Likes

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by oglalasioux(m): 12:12am On Jul 22, 2019
truthsayer009:

But the families dont know the dead man has an account or not, so how would they even reach out to the bank without knowing?

It's obligatory on the banks to inform next of kin after a certain period the account is dormant. If the banks know for certain that the account holder is dead and fail to inform next of kin, then it's criminal on the part of the bank.

1 Like

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by Jollof123: 12:13am On Jul 22, 2019
What an educative thread.

2 Likes

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by executive12: 12:16am On Jul 22, 2019
obembet:

Are u saying for some reasons, its better for bank to eat your money than your children

If you don't trust your wife, you don't have to disclose your assets to her but to provide for your family (wife and children), you should write a will which should contain information about your assets and bank holdings.
I have cousins that lost their dad who was a Lawyer for many years in the UK. He passed on in the UK. He had separated from their mother and remarried. My cousins were not happy with him and did not get along with him. The second wife was unfaithful and had a hand in his death. Well, after his passing, his will was read and my cousins found out that their dad was quietly wealthy and left a lot of assets for them. They were extremely pleased with their dad. They were pleasantly surprised and regretted being mean to him because of how he treated their mom.
So you can be discreet about your assets but disclose everything in your will.

13 Likes

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by Mayflowa(m): 12:18am On Jul 22, 2019
obembet:
I was privilege to chat with a female bank manager, she made a scary revelation to me. She told me how Nigerian bank vaults are filled with monies of dead men who kept their bank accounts secret from their wives.

She explained it was against bank ethics or policies for an account officer to inform the relatives of a deceased customer of his account (without his permission). And since the man is dead, without giving his permission, the bank dubiously keeps silent about the money. She told me it is rampant among many businessmen.

She revealed many instances of dead men whose families are still suffering, while they have millions stashed in their secret accounts.

She mentioned one that happened few months back. The man died and the wife was crying all over the place, looking for money to bury him. Whereas the man had nothing less than 60 million naira in his accounts. The banker said it got to a stage that she could no longer bear it, her conscience was pummelling her. She had to go against her bank rules, and got in contact with the widow and revealed to the woman how much her husband had in his accounts and how to claim them.

She also told of another story of one man who escaped death, but his right hand got paralysed. He couldn't sign his chequebook with his left hand and he was in a desperate situation that needed him to sign papers and cheques. That was how he learnt his lesson the hard way. As soon as he got better, he immediately made his wife co-signatory to all his accounts and involved her in all his businesses. What if he had died? That was how his family would have suffered in the midst of plenty.

This stupid behaviour is not reserved for wealthy men alone, even paupers who earn little have their own complex issues.

I just read on the wall of one of our groups where a man complained of how his friend refused to release his ATM pin number to his wife even though there was an emergency at home, and his ATM was at home.

Many orphans and widows suffering today are put in that condition by their stupid dead father.

Women and Retirees are not left out. Someone told me how a relative of hers died and none of her relatives knew that her properties were scattered all over the world. Not even one house. Not even a dime in any of her accounts... If you knew billions unclaimed in banks belong to selfish dead people, you would weep.

Banks and Bankers grow fat on these oafs.

Please do the needful now that you still have the breath to do so. Of course tomorrow is pregnant and only God knows what it will deliver.

A word is enough for the wise

Source: obembet

Yes I believe this happen a lot but men are more generous in adding their wives as next of kin. Women would hardly ever include their husbands as next of kin. They rather put their little child or sibling! Men are no fools!

9 Likes

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by Wiseandtrue(f): 12:21am On Jul 22, 2019
kelvine:
Many are not happy in their marriage so they wonder.
Why will this woman inherit my hard labour and still roll with a strange man
If they can wonder about the mother of their kids that way, what would be their thought about the bank then

Such men are selfish, if you ask me.

1 Like

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by Ipisi(m): 12:22am On Jul 22, 2019
adeosuntunde:

Brotherly,

Re read the write up but

This time,slowly

Free me oooh, is it your reading?? Or are you her PA

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by executive12: 12:25am On Jul 22, 2019
pocohantas:
Banks have always been making mad money from dormant accounts. Starting from the ones who never told their families of such accounts or the ones whose relatives were oblivious on how to claim the funds.

I see someone talking of NOK. I can't state it enough, the NOK isn't automatically the beneficiary to an estate. There are so many things that could be done with the NOK details, like tracking you in event of fraudulent transactions grin...but automatically transferring your funds to their accounts isn't one of them.

From experience, women most times have someone (asides their husband) who knows their debit card and account details. A grown up child or sibling. Maybe because they can act pretty clueless on banking procedures.

Men are always faster to mention their brother or child's name. Women will most times say "who else? My husband. Or my child".

Also, the women's family are not usually so quick to come for whatever money they presume she has, like the man's side do.

I would never understand why people would even marry someone they can't trust with their money. But since it happens everyday, they should at least make provision for their kids. That is my own...

I also wonder why someone would marry somebody they don't trust.

4 Likes

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by executive12: 12:32am On Jul 22, 2019
Starke:
Are you familiar with the term "Next of kin"? I think you should read up a little on that before posting this type of erroneous info.

Next of kin does not automatically inherit the deceased estate, as Pocohantas already explained above.

5 Likes

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by executive12: 12:35am On Jul 22, 2019
PrecisionFx:

I don't think people are allowed to open a bank account in Nigeria without a next of kin.

Educate me further

People don't necessarily disclose information about their assets or bank accounts to the next of kin. So the next of kin may also not know about the hidden assets.
Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by MisterKings(m): 12:37am On Jul 22, 2019
Katier00:
Some men believe that if they let their wives know about their business or money, they will kill them in other to inherit their wealth. Men are very insecured.

Because some women are wolves in sheep clothing

4 Likes

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by executive12: 12:37am On Jul 22, 2019
Bafemi:
This is untrue. I say this because I am in the system and I understand how it works. All the family needs is to visit the court probate office. In cases of uncertainty, the court can write the banks to furnish them with any bank details of the deceased in that particular name and more easily these days, BVN.

Mind you, this information is not difficult to come by these days, even details of deceased assets in investment houses other than banks can also be retrieved much more banks.

Great. That is good to hear. Many people don't know about this.

1 Like

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by b03liberty(m): 12:41am On Jul 22, 2019
devlishGINGER:
There is no need to worry depending on who your next of kin is
In the case of the demise of a customer, the next of kin could lay claims to such monies or properties
Only if he/she knows
Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by executive12: 12:42am On Jul 22, 2019
Moboj:
I think the Bank should do a new policy of automatic transfer of account and properties to next of kin after the account owner is dead,I wonder why that isn't in place in the first place
This is like legal duping
It's their client's money and not their money for chrisake undecided

Next of kin is not necessarily the beneficiary of an estate.

1 Like

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by Nobody: 12:44am On Jul 22, 2019
executive12:

People don't necessarily disclose information about their assets or bank accounts to the next of kin. So the next of kin may also not know about the hidden assets.

The next of kin would be contacted in the event of death. The next of kins name, phone number n house address are filled in wen opening a bank account.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by groovie(m): 12:46am On Jul 22, 2019
pocohantas:

Lol, tbh, I really so not think this is their reason. Most Nigerian men think they owe their siblings more loyalty than their wife. They also think their siblings are more loyal.

That is why you will hear men say "my family that suffered with me", you will hardly hear a woman say that. My own brother was even a culprit. Give a man and a woman forms to fill; maybe a travel manifest. Lets assume they are both in very serious relationships. The woman would most likely write her fiance's name. The man would write his brother's name. Even if na orphan/only child, e fit put im uncle wey train am for school grin

When you see the ones that mention their wives first, look at them...for many, there is a way their eyes light up. You will know they didn't mention her to fulfil all protocols, but because they really want her to be secured.

I can't say same for the women o. They mention it unto say "ehn, I am married na. It has to be him".

A man's love could be very pure o.
The partner (female) shouldn't be the first to hear of an incident though. Like an accident. The news can kill her. Better to put a male next of kin that can be strong enough to stand face to face and break the news and be ready for any contingencies
Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by Deicide: 12:50am On Jul 22, 2019
chubbygal:
It’s true one recently happened, nobody knew he has a plaza expect his friend and it was that thesame friend that posioned him so as to claim his plaze, but the guy couldn’t contain his horrible nightmares he had to confess. Happened here in Abuja
Name of the Movie please?
Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by foster212: 12:50am On Jul 22, 2019
executive12:

Yep. Nigerians are really funny and unscrupulous. They form ethical when they don't have to, but go against ethics when they shouldn't.
I swear, I never see people wey pretend pass Nigerians, or should I say hypocrisy, and dem go come squeeze face like shit when them dey try disapprove you of something wey dem dey guilty of doing too.

1 Like

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by SocialJustice: 12:51am On Jul 22, 2019
ATTAHDYE:
Cock and Bull story, nothing like that is happening anywhere.
Go and read your books, adults are discussing.

3 Likes

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by executive12: 12:53am On Jul 22, 2019
TSRC:

It happens.
A banker told me there is an account opemed in their branch with over 20 million naira dormant for the past 10 years.
She told me everybody in the bank knows about the account, and the first thing every staff do when they resume in the morning is to secretly check if the money is still there in the account.

They don't trust oga.

One of them should go out of their way and try to contact the account owner's family .
Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by Sunrise258: 12:53am On Jul 22, 2019
This is very real! My brother called me today telling me his wife keeps getting alert on the new mtn sim he just got her. He told me the total money is now 1.9m naira and no one has ever withdrew from the account. What happened was that the original sim card owner died and mtn sold out his line after years of inactivity. His family might be finding it tough to eat right now unknowing they have 1.9m in a bank!

9 Likes

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by Deicide: 12:54am On Jul 22, 2019
Men don't fall for this trash, it's just another way Feminist wants to use to make we Men lower our guard. And before you know it, it's to late.

9 Likes

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by SocialJustice: 12:54am On Jul 22, 2019
Bafemi:
This is untrue. I say this because I am in the system and I understand how it works. All the family needs is to visit the court probate office. In cases of uncertainty, the court can write the banks to furnish them with any bank details of the deceased in that particular name and more easily these days, BVN.

Mind you, this information is not difficult to come by these days, even details of deceased assets in investment houses other than banks can also be retrieved much more banks.
Which system are you in? You sound too ignorant to be in the banking system or you're a casual teller and want to form staff here.

4 Likes

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by executive12: 12:57am On Jul 22, 2019
truthsayer009:

But the families dont know the dead man has an account or not, so how would they even reach out to the bank without knowing?

The letter would be sent to all the banks.
Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by Moboj: 12:58am On Jul 22, 2019
executive12:

Next of kin is not necessarily the beneficiary of an estate.
I don't think I have to modify and write "family member" for you to get my point

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Folorunso Alakija’s New N60bn Luxury Tower Ready / Crypto Currency Has Finished Me! / Kdp. Kindle Amazon Books And Corona Virus Profits Method

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.