Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,970 members, 7,806,805 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:11 AM

How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands - Business (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands (89342 Views)

4 Reasons The Rich Keeps Getting Richer - How You Can Join Them / 4 Reasons The Rich Are Getting Richer - How You Can Join Them / How Banks Exploit Cbn's Weakness To Impose Excessive Charges On ATM Users (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by maxiuc(m): 6:45am On Jul 22, 2019
My wife will definitely know all the bank I use for my transaction but what she won't know is the exact Amount in the bank

1 Like

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by larryking540: 6:45am On Jul 22, 2019
Emaprince:
Women are mostly guilty of this. Not even men.

I currently know upto 3 women with landed properties and their husband doesn't know about them...I got to hear from their close female friends.

Over here, they believes its best to own a lot without their husbands being in the know. Plus women believes their money if for themselves alone.

Men are saints for this kind matter

tell them bro,
from time memorial, men will always drop money for stuff such a home upkeep, but I noticed something in dis our era where every woman too wants to work, they don't bring d money home,

were sell land as a business, I kw of many women, who cometo buy land codedly, without d husband knowing, or even d kids, na only they day drive come to check how far d project has gone, bro women, na open eye day take day follow them o

4 Likes

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by alphaNomega: 6:46am On Jul 22, 2019
kelvine:
Many are not happy in their marriage so they wonder.
Why will this woman inherit my hard labour and still roll with a strange man

Exactly the husband is wise
Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by pocohantas(f): 6:46am On Jul 22, 2019
WhoBeThisMan:
my dear Pocahontas, speak for your self and not all women. I used to be that man who leaves wverythin like that for my wife until I realized that the world is not what it seems. Women can be very very dangerous. Men have to be very careful of Nigerian woman of nowadays

Your choice dear. I can't even be bothered by it...

1 Like

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by placeofallure(f): 6:48am On Jul 22, 2019
pocohantas:

I guess life isn't all white and black. Some persons would definitely marry for reasons other than love, to people who they do not trust. I however implore them to make sure the innocent kids who didn't have the chance to choose their parents, have a planned out future.

The way Nigerian couples hide their money from each other ehn. I wonder how they sleep with such secrets o cheesy.

I guess you're right. To each its own.
Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by Daboomb: 6:49am On Jul 22, 2019
pocohantas:
Banks have always been making mad money from dormant accounts. Starting from the ones who never told their families of such accounts or the ones whose relatives were oblivious on how to claim the funds.

I see someone talking of NOK. I can't state it enough, the NOK isn't automatically the beneficiary to an estate. There are so many things that could be done with the NOK details, like tracking you in event of fraudulent transactions grin...but automatically transferring your funds to their accounts isn't one of them.

From experience, women most times have someone (asides their husband) who knows their debit card and account details. A grown up child or sibling. Maybe because they can act pretty clueless on banking procedures.

Men are always faster to mention their brother or child's name. Women will most times say "who else? My husband. Or my child".

Also, the women's family are not usually so quick to come for whatever money they presume she has, like the man's side do.

I would never understand why people would even marry someone they can't trust with their money. But since it happens everyday, they should at least make provision for their kids. That is my own...

People dont marry who they cant trust, they marry someone THEY THINK they can trust but find out that that is a MISPLACED TRUST and since they are already married, the only thing to od is to MANAGE the situation by being cautious till they can divorce or just live together as enemy-within.
No one makes their secret enemy a signatory to their banl account, right?
grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by Nobody: 6:49am On Jul 22, 2019
Bafemi:
This is untrue. I say this because I am in the system and I understand how it works. All the family needs is to visit the court probate office. In cases of uncertainty, the court can write the banks to furnish them with any bank details of the deceased in that particular name and more easily these days, BVN.

Mind you, this information is not difficult to come by these days, even details of deceased assets in investment houses other than banks can also be retrieved much more banks.
how do I go about it sir cos I'm in this situation...
Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by franchasng: 6:50am On Jul 22, 2019
90% or more of Nigerian men don't trust their wives, oh yeah cool

Many Nigerian women will frustrate or even kill their husband if they find out how much he truly worth, so the men got to be wise to survive the Nigerian marriage jungle lipsrsealed

The only issue here is their kids if they are still young, I think Nigerian lawmakers should pass a bill that will ensure a dead person without a will, should have his or her moneys in banks transferred to the next of kin with a presentation of death certificate, burial photos, family elders signed document that the deceased is truly dead.

And also make it easy for family of a dead person on presentation of death certificate, burial photos, etc to have access to all the deceased person's bank account, insurance and investment accounts using his or her BVN.

Also make a policy that with the names, pictures of a dead person, his BVN can be retrieved from either supreme court or CBN or any other similar government authority. This will help family members of dead persons to do a search of their relative's secret and known bank accounts, investments, insurance accounts, etc to ensure they get them back.

I think this thread has motivated me, I will give this as a tip to a serving Senator now and let's see if it can be pushed at the national assembly because of the children of dead persons in Nigeria, not for their wives or husbands anyway, but mostly to secure the future of their kids.

Thanks op, this is a good topic that deserves to be put on front page of Nairaland everyday to ensure more and more Nigerians see it

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by placeofallure(f): 6:51am On Jul 22, 2019
ajl:

What if the spouse you marry betray that trust along the line. What will you do?

I doubt if that will ever happen, I seriously do.
Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by zolapower: 6:51am On Jul 22, 2019
obembet:

Do you think its easy as that?
Very easy my dear ,go to a magistrate Court and file for a letter of adminstration if u are the next of kin afterwards u are good to go. It happens everyday .
Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by babyfaceafrica: 6:51am On Jul 22, 2019
Naijageak:
This is a big problem but I know this won't still change this man here.

Lol
it is his money.. so if he likes he can tell his spouse or not

1 Like

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by Sterope(f): 6:52am On Jul 22, 2019
You think your eldest can be trusted with it. grin

ajl:
Banks are only keeping the funds. It will eventually return to the state coffer if not claimed by family members. But trust Nigerian banks to hide the funds from the government.

Whatever my spouse does not know about my finances my eldest child know.
Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by babyfaceafrica: 6:55am On Jul 22, 2019
Boykris:
A female wrote this to increase there control over men as I see all lies from it [font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
we won't fall for it

3 Likes

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by Nobody: 6:55am On Jul 22, 2019
SmartyPants:

The bank is not supposed to keep quiet about it. The mobey legally belongs to the deceased's next of kin, therefore the moment he or she passes away, an equitable trust is created which must be executed in line with the marriage and inheritance laws of Nigeria.

I assure you, the law has made ample provision for such situations so any bank claiming to act ethically by not disclosing said accounts may be in breach of trust.

Note: trust here connotes a legal obligation

Why are u guys talking like the bank has automatic death notification on accounts...people leave money in banks for whateva reasons known to them...
The bank couldn’t have known the account owner is deceased....
so where is this “the bank bank Is keeping quiet about it” is coming from.

Until next or Kins or any other family come forward with solid proof of tie to the deceased there’s nothing the bank will do.....

Just to add:next of kin doesn’t mean anything to banks, it’s just protocol for account opening.
Becos pictures of next of kin are not submitted neither is the biometrics taken at point of opening.. so anyone can go and do valid ID in the name of that next of kin to claim money that’s not theirs.... so weda next of kin or any family member, they will need to proof beyond doubt they are the mans relative either nuclear or extended...

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by Daboomb: 6:56am On Jul 22, 2019
KPboy:

This description is apt... What course did you study? And career interest? wink

Women are way "smarter" (Cunning, is the right word here) than you would ever think.
Dont get "bought over" otherwise, you will remember in the future that one annonymous person issued you this warning! grin grin
Moreso, be very "beware" of the femminists, they are dangerous than a viper! undecided undecided
Its called MANIPULATION
Did you notice that ALL WOMEN are supporting this "Bank RUGA"?
grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by franchasng: 6:56am On Jul 22, 2019
eddy1234:
how do I go about it sir cos I'm in this situation...
Visit any court. You and your family will need to get letter of administration or so from court and pay a certain amount.

The people that will be signatory to the letter of admin are: late persons child, sibling, wife, I think parent.

You will pay a fee for this and a certain % to the government.

But first go to court to see if there is a way to do a search first to know how much your late relative have in banks before you start processing the letter of Admin.

Take heart cry

1 Like

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by bigfrancis21: 6:56am On Jul 22, 2019
TSRC:

It happens.
A banker told me there is an account opemed in their branch with over 20 million naira dormant for the past 10 years.
She told me everybody in the bank knows about the account, and the first thing every staff do when they resume in the morning is to secretly check if the money is still there in the account.

They don't trust oga

grin grin
Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by franchasng: 6:59am On Jul 22, 2019
1StopRudeness:

Why are u guys talking like the bank has automatic death notification on accounts...people leave money in banks for whateva reasons known to them...
The bank couldn’t have known the account owner is deceased....
so where is this “the bank bank Is keeping quiet about it” is coming from.

Until next or Kins or any other family come forward with solid proof of tie to the deceased there’s nothing the bank will do.....

Just to add:next of kin doesn’t mean anything to banks, it’s just protocol for account opening.
Becos pictures of next of kin are not submitted neither is the biometrics taken at point of opening.. so anyone can go and do valid ID in the name of that next of kin to claim money that’s not theirs.... so weda next of kin or any family member, they will need to proof beyond doubt they are the mans relative either nuclear or extended...
wonderful.

I think your response just brought another tipoff on what Nigerian lawmakers should push for in our national banking reforms.

When opening accounts, you must submit 1 passport photograph of your next of kin. Also the next of kin should sign and possibly have a column they can be given to thumb print on.

5 Likes

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by Daboomb: 7:03am On Jul 22, 2019
WhoBeThisMan:
my dear Pocahontas, speak for your self and not all women. I used to be that man who leaves wverythin like that for my wife until I realized that the world is not what it seems. Women can be very very dangerous. Men have to be very careful of Nigerian woman of nowadays

Not just Nigerian Women..... but ALL Women!
Even God knows not to trust Women since the days of Adam....... and they cant really be bothered undecided

Women know themselves more than men know them and if you want to fight a Woman, use another TRUSTED Woman (like a Lawyer or based on personal interest).
I know the day will come when men would realise that Women have declared a WAR of Extermination or at least, Servitude, on them

2 Likes

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by remzytimer: 7:03am On Jul 22, 2019
obembet:

Do you think its easy as that?

This won't happen until women change their lavish and extravagant live style, at point they want spend everything while men prefer to save for the future...

1 Like

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:04am On Jul 22, 2019
elkharpone:

That's why we need to draft a WILL listing out all our properties and who its been gifted to.
That's the only solution for this

That's our main problem with my people, we have the preconception that for us to draft a WILL means that we are about to die or in our old age.
Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by jamace(m): 7:04am On Jul 22, 2019
ATTAHDYE:
Cock and Bull story, nothing like that is happening anywhere.
Stop being ignorant. This is happening everywhere. Hope you are not covering up for the banks? grin
Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by 4ckTOT0: 7:05am On Jul 22, 2019
i own 2 houses in lekki and an office complex in ikeja. all fully cosign by my sister. thunder fire who ever is promoting this shit. with the rate of gold digging oloshos in naija. why will you give someone this kinda advice

8 Likes

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by Roon9(m): 7:12am On Jul 22, 2019
pocohantas:

Lol, tbh, I really so not think this is their reason. Most Nigerian men think they owe their siblings more loyalty than their wife. They also think their siblings are more loyal.

That is why you will hear men say "my family that suffered with me", you will hardly hear a woman say that. My own brother was even a culprit. Give a man and a woman forms to fill; maybe a travel manifest. Lets assume they are both in very serious relationships. The woman would most likely write her fiance's name. The man would write his brother's name. Even if na orphan/only child, e fit put im uncle wey train am for school grin

When you see the ones that mention their wives first, look at them...for many, there is a way their eyes light up. You will know they didn't mention her to fulfil all protocols, but because they really want her to be secured.

I can't say same for the women o. They mention it unto say "ehn, I am married na. It has to be him".

A man's love could be very pure, when he does love. Of which I do not think many do...
They only think they owe her a duty of provision.
Apt
Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by srclark: 7:12am On Jul 22, 2019
I don’t know how true but a friend of mine once told me how these big banks all over the world use their biometric technology to steal people’s money and they target mainly corrupt African leaders and business men . They give them juicy offers and interest rate offers as far as free medical treatment abroad but once the customer is dead the money is gone cause most people that fall into their net are greed people that acquired the money through shady means cause you need maybe voice recognition or finger print or facial recognition to access and do transactions on these accounts . I don’t know how true this is

3 Likes

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by Daboomb: 7:13am On Jul 22, 2019
placeofallure:

This is what I've never stopped pondering over, if he/she cannot be trusted with anything, why marry each other? I dunno how people cope in such marriages where I have to be cautious with everything. My husband knows my PIN, I know his too, I know his business buddies, I know every contract he's doing or about to do, we decide together what to venture into and what not. I am more or less his manager and we're happy so. I think It's true most of the problems plaguing our society is deeply rooted in family. God help us.

Well, all is GOOD, as long as the two of you are HAPPY together.
But what happens when UNHAPPY, IRRECONCILABLE DIFFERENCES occur, that is when the man will pay dearly for his foolishness?

Two FEMALE, younger Colleagues of mine were discussing and one of them was telling her other colleague about the problem her father was facing, the man is in his late 50's.
All his life, he and his wife managed their business like yours.
She was the "office manager" who did all the accounting and knows the secret of the business while he was the Filed Sales Man who did all the going around and selling their product.
According to his daughter, he knows nothing about RUNNING of the Business.
Her Mother has been seeing another man and decides that she does not want to have to do with the husband again.
So, she took over the "business Assets" COMPLETELY (has been moving money arround for sometime, preparing for the evil day!) and the man is COMPLETELY LOST as to what to do next! "Suicide-loading", me thinks
The daughter was actually very sorry for him and felt he was shafted by her Mother but that is how far it goes.

My point is, in an IDEAL and HAPPY situation, Men oepn-up completely to their wife but the danger is always ever present because if things go wrong (and the chances in the present day world is like 95%), the man will regret ever taking such position.

Men should love and treat their wives well but "SEE FINISH" is a death warrant.

4 Likes

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by Nobody: 7:17am On Jul 22, 2019
franchasng:
wonderful.

I think your response just brought another tipoff on what Nigerian lawmakers should push for in our national banking reforms.

When opening accounts, you must submit 1 passport photograph of your next of kin. Also the next of kin should sign and possibly have a column they can be given to thumb print on.

Its like u are close to a law maker...please help us tell them...to pass laws that will help us... favour youths.... can’t they stop law makers from turning the seat to their family entitlement... let other young people get there...

the leaders of tomorrow phrase is no longer valid... cos the leaders of yesterday keeping passing laws to make them remain leaders of yesterday, today and forever..
Imagine civil servants being mandated to serve for 35 years before being eligible for pension but our people will do just 4 years and get pension for life.... help us ooooo ... better laws, better nation

On another note, can u help my brother with ur senator people pull government educational funds for his postgraduate study abroad...we know these funding are available but if u don’t know anybody, nothing for you
Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by franchasng: 7:19am On Jul 22, 2019
Moboj:
Why are we giving the Bank's excuses to be legally dubious
This is a normal thing that's expected to happen
Which means there should have been a general Bank law in cases like this
Nigeria really has no check and balances
There should be a legal body checking for things like this and making sure to punish Banks that hold on to dead men's properties maybe after one year of no one coming to make claim of them
Really is this an issue at all
If there's no law pertaining to this then this is corruption staring hard at us
There's no excuse whatsoever
You are right but I don't think there is any government body responsible for this, and even if there is any, this is Nigeria where corruption and wickedness reign supreme, they will connive with the bankers to siphon these dead person's secret bank account moneys angry

The best thing to do is to start a new banking reform policy by the Nigerian lawmakers that will ensure people submit passport photographs of their next of kin, the next of kin's signature and thumbprint at point of opening the account.

And then also have a reform to make it possible for family members of a deceased person to be able to do a search of the deceased person's known and unknown bank accounts, investment properties and insurance policies using the late person's BVN on presentation of certain documents to prove the deceased is truly dead.

And then also make it possible for the deceased person's family to make a search of the deceased person's BVN using his or her full names, mother's maiden name and date of birth + photograph.

This banking reform will bring an end to this issue in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by Nobody: 7:19am On Jul 22, 2019
kelvine:
Many are not happy in their marriage so they wonder.
Why will this woman inherit my hard labour and still roll with a strange man

To say the truth: Some women can't be trusted.

They can even get rid of the man, inherit his property and start frolicking with young agile boys lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by ibnew: 7:19am On Jul 22, 2019
For all of you doubting or saying it’s not true better do something. I have been personally involved in 3 cases involving lawyers and spouses. Even you bankers saying it not true. It is very very very true. See it is when the person dies you will know law o! One obvious mistake in any of the document is wahala. I will not go over those cases that I can support with lawyers chambers and names but I give just one that got me baffled. The man is a multi billionaire and went overseas for treatment and it got worse. We went into comma. Off course the account officer and bank know they facilitated the transfer of the initial medical trips bill. They needed more money and the man in coma can no longer do transfer nor sign a check. They wife came back as next of kin to see what see can do. Na lie o. The man must sign o! They came with medical reports video of the man on bed, video calls to the hospital na lie o. They say as long as she did not say the man is dead and start the legal procedure. The man was in coma for weeks and died. As at that time the lawyer was handling another one which the man died. It took about more that a year for the bank to finally come out with who the NOK is because according to them they cannot trust anyone. Were they doing there own investigation NO! If you are blessed with the type of banker in this case that are ready help you thank God. They don’t come easy. Even after the NOK was known the bank keep this game of this document that document. After that even though my wife is my next of kin, I made her signatories to all my accounts. At least it will help her and children before as they begin to find their feet. God forbid anyways. My ATMs are with me it’s not like she hold the bank materials. Theses are women I have met. It is very true and correct. For banker who knows the way please advise and we pray we met those with a good heart that will make the process simple. Amen.

3 Likes

Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by TommyAnthem(m): 7:22am On Jul 22, 2019
Not true, had a very bad experience getting funds out of my late father in law's account notwithstanding my wife was the next of kin, bankers are heartless.
Bafemi:
This is untrue. I say this because I am in the system and I understand how it works. All the family needs is to visit the court probate office. In cases of uncertainty, the court can write the banks to furnish them with any bank details of the deceased in that particular name and more easily these days, BVN.

Mind you, this information is not difficult to come by these days, even details of deceased assets in investment houses other than banks can also be retrieved much more banks.
Re: How Banks And Bankers Are Getting Richer Through Foolish Dead Husbands by Duggedised12(f): 7:24am On Jul 22, 2019
laudate:

No sir!! A next of kin is not automatically entitled to draw down on the bank account of a deceased account holder! shocked

And the bank is not obligated to search for any next of kin, of inform them of anything about the deceased's account balance. They can only do so, when they receive letters of administration from the court or probate registry, submitted by the beneficiary or administrators, who may or may not be the next of kin.
so what if a person is not aware but only suspects their dead relative had money stashed up in the bank? How does a person go about it?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply)

Folorunso Alakija’s New N60bn Luxury Tower Ready / Crypto Currency Has Finished Me! / Kdp. Kindle Amazon Books And Corona Virus Profits Method

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.