Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,278 members, 7,780,630 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:08 PM

First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! (31170 Views)

Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family / Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? / German Embassy Seized My Passport Please Help Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by nairalanduseles: 1:29am On Jul 23, 2019
Ugosample:

lmao

I used to be years ago
(when I was still running something I'll rather not say here)

but then
even at airport's
I get stamped out too

No big deal.
Na wa shey dem still dey stamp passport
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by aottravels(m): 1:39am On Jul 23, 2019
danberg:
Good day all,
I recently got my UK passport sent from the UK after a successful application.
I was born in the UK but Nigerian by descent. I would like to know if I would be required to present my Nigerian passport at Muritala Mohammed Intl Airport in Lagos, before I can board, since there's no Nigerian visa on my new UK passport.

I am currently processing another Nigerian passport after I lost the former but I still possess an older one.

Advise from those familiar with this situation would be greatly appreciated!

You need a valid Nigeria Intl. passport, no need of these theatrics replies.
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Dee04(m): 1:44am On Jul 23, 2019
Nanagom:
smiley

Really glad you’re leaving so the rest of us can see road.

I am really not enthusiastic to leave Nigeria and I don’t know why, my belief in this great nation is still very strong.

Two family members have tried to use this abroad level to scam me, one was we have husband for you in the America, you just gotta pay certain amount for him to come down and marry you bla bla bla.

Today they wanted to use Dubai level to scam me, smh

Na here I go take make am

What if I marry you?..no jokes
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by cao(f): 1:49am On Jul 23, 2019
nairalanduseles:

Omg u re just typing trash
U only need one parent to be a resident
And they don't have to be married
And you don't have to be a resident for 10 years
Da fck outta here
If you say so, last time I checked the citizenship thing followed the pop's line. And as someone who's actually got dual citizenship via the 10 years thing, I guess I really know nothing.

EDIT: https://www.gov.uk/long-residence
Random note: the only thing they appear to have changed in the wording is that they've removed "or illegally" after legally. I guess they really are closing all the loopholes.

1 Like

Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by cao(f): 2:05am On Jul 23, 2019
Ibime:

If you are born after 1983,.you only need one parent to be British.

Prior to 1984, you had to be born in Britain or your father had to be British.

By 1984, being born in Britain no longer qualified you for citizenship . . . . but maternal citizenship was recognized.

I was born in Britain just before the law changed while my brother who was born in Naija after the law change was lucky to.get qualification through maternal parentage.
See, this fella right here explained himself like a civilised individual unlike the other person. I said the marriage thing because it was easier to use paternal citizenship to get things done, and I didn't want to write story of life. Granted, it's been a while since I've read up on that side of things. So, I stand corrected, thanks for the correction.

3 Likes

Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by chris51(f): 2:33am On Jul 23, 2019
You do not need a Nigerian passport to board when traveling out of Nigeria with British passport.
You need Nigerian passport when you are returning to Nigeria. It's advisable for you to have your Nigerian passport, in case you need to visit Nigeria.
If you don't want Nigerian passport when visiting Nigeria, you will obtain Nigerian visa on your British passport.
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by GEEBITE: 3:34am On Jul 23, 2019
It is possible,it only takes a while for them to review your claim even if you have lost your birth certificate or your parents are dead.Even an authenticated DNA from a dead British parent especially from a dead father(if you were born by a British dad and a non birtish mum)can get you a British passport posted to you in Nigeria.
jrusky:

I just asked a question why not allow him to answer?

Yea if you are born in UK you have the right to British Passport *BUt* if you are born in UK but live all your life outside the UK you will be given *right of aboard* to fly to UK with no visa with your birth Cert etc then when you get to UK you can now process your passport. My wife had similar situation but went back when she was 19 years old that was the procedure she passed through I have never witnessed or heard British passport was parcel or given to someone who has never owned the passport ever before in foreign land especially Nigeria so if you have heard of such kindly let us know.

If you don't belief me Pls go to www.gov.uk you will see your answer there boldly written.
.Google is your friend bro.
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by GEEBITE: 3:39am On Jul 23, 2019
You are not absoluty correct.A British passport can be posted to you from anywhere in the world.It takes a maximum of 6months to process that and could be as short as 3 weeks in some countries like US,Australia and New Zealand where they have accurate database.
Rubicon67:

If you are travelling to the UK, you only need to present your British passport. However, when/if you are coming back to Nigeria for whatever reason, you will need your Nigerian passport or an entry visa on your British passport.

Having said that, it is to my understanding that you can only apply for a British passport from the British consulate in the country where you currently reside. Currently, first time application of a British passport must be PRESENT for biometric data capture etc. How your passport got sent from the UK is a mystery to me but maybe yours is an EXCEPTIONAL case.
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Enyimbamercedes: 4:20am On Jul 23, 2019
danberg:

Thanks! I read somewhere I wouldn't be needing it to board. Please have you been in a similar situation before?

Unless you do not plan to return to Nigeria then you don’t need that piece of crap document.

However, you need it to leave the country to prove you were not living here illegally else they’ll demand you show your CERPAC or pay a fine. If you plan on returning, then you need a valid Nigerian passport else you’ll face hell at our embassy in London trying to get a visa back to Nigeria.
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Eze2000(m): 4:23am On Jul 23, 2019
babyfaceafrica:
if he has money, he will see it in two weeks... money talks everywhere

If he applies in a small city he will see it in a few short days but if he applies in the north he will see it 24hrs. Lol. I have proof and its right here on the forum.

1 Like

Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Enyimbamercedes: 4:34am On Jul 23, 2019
Rubicon67:

If you are travelling to the UK, you only need to present your British passport. However, when/if you are coming back to Nigeria for whatever reason, you will need your Nigerian passport or an entry visa on your British passport.

Having said that, it is to my understanding that you can only apply for a British passport from the British consulate in the country where you currently reside. Currently, first time application of a British passport must be PRESENT for biometric data capture etc. How your passport got sent from the UK is a mystery to me but maybe yours is an EXCEPTIONAL case.

Biometric capture can be done from the passport photograph and that is why they insist on a specific format. You do not necessarily have to be present But I agree that his case is exceptional!!
I had a baby passport in 1984 which expired while we were in Nigeria. We tried to renew in Abuja in 2003 and it was a hellish task!! They asked for rent documents, train tickets and any documentary evidence to prove we were in the UK at the of birth. Asked for our growing up pictures and even said DNA test. After a year, I just did a right of abode which only required a birth certificate, traveled, applied for the passport by post in the UK and got my passport in 3 weeks.
So how the OP got his posted to Nigeria first time is really exceptional and a mystery
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Eze2000(m): 4:34am On Jul 23, 2019
nairalanduseles:

It's all electronic now .....U don't need any visa

Make Nigerian immigration catch you and your electronic on a bad day. You go pay tire.

1 Like

Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Kingzy4pep(m): 4:40am On Jul 23, 2019
godwon01:
. The Op is right that is how it is done. I had my 2 kids in Nigeria after I got my British citizen. I applied for them and submitted the requirements. They got the passport while they had never step the shore of the UK. They follow the law and they give U if are qualified.
What if you had your kids before you got your citizenship?
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by oneman2k7: 4:40am On Jul 23, 2019
Should incase u are not using the UK passport, pass it to me bro
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by frozen70(f): 4:58am On Jul 23, 2019
danberg:
Good day all,
I was born in the UK but Nigerian by descent. I would like to know if I would be required to present my Nigerian passport at Muritala Mohammed Intl Airport in Lagos, before I can board, since there's no Nigerian visa on my new UK passport.

I am currently processing another Nigerian passport after I lost the former but I still possess an older one.

You are a dual citizen, tgst will make you have both British and Nigeria passport

British passport for going to UK and Nigeria passport for coming to Nigeria

With this you don't need visa to enter either of both countries
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by GEEBITE: 5:40am On Jul 23, 2019
That law has been amended in 2016.It is not a requirement anymore for both parents to be married. Especially that aspect of the father which was quite discrimanatory and dividing families.Now it is not only through the mother alone that one can be granted citizenship if parents are both unmarried.
cao:

If they were born before 1983, son of the soil works. It really is that simple. Granted, they messed up a family friend's application for years (born in the UK before 1983, grew up in Nigeria), got played by the British embassy in Nigeria for so long that once the Home Office finally found out, the incompetent people got straight up fired. As in, they told my guy, "point", oh boy open yash finish.

Now, if you're born after 1983, ain't simple at all. Both your parents have to be citizens and married. Or you've have to have lived as a resident for 10 years or an entrepreneur (with like proper money in your account) for 5 years.
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Naijamagician: 5:46am On Jul 23, 2019
danberg:
Good day all,

Hi please how did you go about getting your passport? I was given birth to in England 1995 is there any hope for me?
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by wayodude(m): 6:22am On Jul 23, 2019
nairalanduseles:

Not true I just left Nigeria with my AU passport did not even tender my Nigerian passport .....why all this on Nl

The point the immigration officer was trying to make was that I had to prove I had entered and had been in Nigeria legally. The only way to do this would have been to tender a Nigerian passport or a Nigerian visa in my British passport. I could do neither. Ultimately I think the officials at the airport can apply discretion and let you through but you will be at their mercy.

You were lucky to have left without any hassle.

It's cool though, no one has to believe a random story on nairaland.

1 Like

Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by wayodude(m): 6:27am On Jul 23, 2019
Naijamagician:

Hi please how did you go about getting your passport? I was given birth to in England 1995 is there any hope for me?

If one of your parents (I think) was a citizen at the time your were born then you will have been British by birth. If not then I don't think being born in England by foreign parents gives your any rights at all.

My cousin's were born in London in 1986 and 1990 and when they studied in England they needed student visas and had to pay international student fees.
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by AFONJACOW(m): 6:33am On Jul 23, 2019
Where do you think you are going? After voting baba Ruga you want to escape, nowhere, if you try leave us here it's either you have plane crash or those area boys in northern London will slit your throat... We all die here nobody is leaving....
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Passionate1(m): 6:54am On Jul 23, 2019
Rubicon67:

D guy no b citizen. . Period
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Spain007(m): 7:05am On Jul 23, 2019
danberg:
Good day all,

Yes u need ur Nigerian passport cos UKand Nigeria accept dual citizenship...
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by 1kinggy(m): 7:15am On Jul 23, 2019
davodyguy:

Before Buhari was Nigeria ever ok?
Under Abacha, Abdulsam, OBJ, Yar Adua and Jonathan, was there 24 hours power supply or good roads?

You were almost right.
If only you have added that Buhari is the worse of them all. I can't compare him with abacha because he said abacha is a saint.
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Passionate1(m): 7:21am On Jul 23, 2019
godwon01:
. The Op is right that is how it is done. I had my 2 kids in Nigeria after I got my British citizen. I applied for them and submitted the requirements. They got the passport while they had never step the shore of the UK. They follow the law and they give U if are qualified.
Normal!
It can only be obtained through the embassy/consulate in which ur kids reside.
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Lexusgs430: 7:42am On Jul 23, 2019
slyfoxxjoe:
most nairalanders don’t know the answer to this your question o. How many UK citizens do you think we have here that are in your same situation. You better off asking google.

You are very wrong.......... All he needs to do is simply explain his passport was issued by proxy in the UK, while he was based in Nigeria......... So he does not have to present any entry passport..........
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Mcslize: 7:54am On Jul 23, 2019
nairalanduseles:
Bro u don't need it I use my Nigerian passport to come to nanna but when leaving use my AU one .....They won't even question u .......U re a British season act like one

Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by nairalanduseles: 7:56am On Jul 23, 2019
Mcslize:

Are you an Australia citizen or is that not what you meant as AU on your post?

Yea sir I am
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by TomiSwag(m): 7:57am On Jul 23, 2019
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by BlueAir: 7:57am On Jul 23, 2019
Beautyaddy:

That's so not true.

One can be the citizen of many countries as long as those countries allow it.

Nigeria allows dual or multiple citizenships.
JESUS CHRIST OF NAZARETH...nigeria doesnt allow dual citizenship. shocked grin ask any police or IMMIGRATION officer
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Baroba(m): 8:03am On Jul 23, 2019
This is how you will be coming in like a boss, no red eyed immigration officer giving you dirty looks tongue cheesy cheesy

Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Lexusgs430: 8:05am On Jul 23, 2019
Baroba:
This is how you will be coming in like a boss, no red eyed immigration officer giving you dirty looks tongue cheesy cheesy

Let's hope he places the passport properly and not start to panic............

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Truck Crushes Two Commercial Buses In Onitsha, Many Feared Dead (Photos) / Living In Germany/life As A German Immigrant / Moving To Norway Soonest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.